The importance of tonight game

Italian Bills

Well… obviously we all know the “weight” about tonight game vs the Pats but after the sunday’s putcome it gained more and more importance. We are 5th at 7-4 and with the wins of Pitts and KC all the four ahead of us in the Conference standing are 8-4. 

Winning tonight would be beyond than huge… i can say crucial for our moment and season expectations. After yesterday scores tonight we can’t really miss the chance to regain the lead the Division first and the credit in the Conference and League. 

We are the better team ? Everybody here think yes, me too, but almost everybody here is really worried about the tonight result. Josh and company will feel the high stake too… i really hope they will be able to play in control of their emotion, using all their energies on the field playing a great and smart game, don’t having any regret at the end. 

The refs ? Well… let’s stop to think little and start thinking big, we can control our future tonight and playing a great game won’t let the refs control it. But we must play a very smart game, without stupid mistakes. 

We play at home, in our house, supported by almost 70k great fans, the very best in sport, let’s make this day a day to remember like the ones of the Marv, Kelly and Bruce time. 

LET’S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BILLSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS ! Let’s make us proud of you guys !!!!!!!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, DQW87 said:

I dare say this is the biggest game Buffalo vs New England ever. We've played some big ones, but I don't ever remember this much on the line. 

🤦‍♂️CTFD. Nowhere close to the biggest game in the series. Not even in the same universe. This is merely a midseason game. No playoff spots will be awarded for the winner, the loser is still very much in the hunt. 

For a little much needed perspective, these teams played in the 1st ever AFL Playoff game in 1963, forced when we ended the season tied. Pats* won decisively then got blown out by San Diego in the title game. The ‘64 season finale between us decided the Eastern Division title where we went on to dethrone the Chargers for our 1st Championship. They were our chief rival the following season as we won Back to Back League titles. OJ rushed for over 450 yards in the 2 games in ‘73, enroute to 2000 yards in 14 games -still unmatched! In the strike-shortened/Scab-ball season of ‘87, we needed only to beat them in the season finale to make the playoffs. They beat us 14-6. We would go on to win 5 of the next 6 Division titles. Last season was the 1st time ever we swept the Division with the closest game being the 1st one with them, where Justin Zimmer stripped the ball from Cam Newton late to secure the win. 

Your table is ready, Sir.

BE874F12-F24E-45D7-BC61-BBDCB536123B.jpeg

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 3

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

🤦‍♂️CTFD. Nowhere close to the biggest game in the series. Not even in the same universe. This is merely a midseason game. No playoff spots will be awarded for the winner, the loser is still very much in the hunt. 

For a little much needed perspective, these teams played in the 1st ever AFL Playoff game in 1963, forced when we ended the season tied. Pats* won decisively then got blown out by San Diego in the title game. The ‘64 season finale between us decided the Eastern Division title where we went on to dethrone the Chargers for our 1st Championship. They were our chief rival the following season as we won Back to Back League titles. OJ rushed for over 450 yards in the 2 games in ‘73, enroute to 2000 yards in 14 games -still unmatched! In the strike-shortened/Scab-ball season of ‘87, we needed only to beat them in the season finale to make the playoffs. They beat us 14-6. We would go on to win 5 of the next 6 Division titles. Last season was the 1st time ever we swept the Division with the closest game being the 1st one with them, where Justin Zimmer stripped the ball from Cam Newton late to secure the win. 

Your table is ready, Sir.

BE874F12-F24E-45D7-BC61-BBDCB536123B.jpeg

The AFL? This is a much bigger game. The whole world watches NFL football. Literally not even in the same league.

Strike-shortened scab-ball season? Come on, man!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

The winds have been a howlin around my house all night

I'm in OP.  Not that bad last night.  Started to pick up this morning around 6a.  Raining now, too.  I'm hopeful (and this is the kiss of death) that it won't be that bad by kickoff. 

3 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Make sure you bring plenty of hot chocolate, rain gear, gloves, galoshes & a warm bonnet 

I think our fan base is manic ;) 

They need more than dry mittens ;)

You had better prescribe some Prozac ;) 

• Haha (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

If Bills split with the Pats and beat the Jets again, they win the tiebreaker for the division if they have the same record as the Pats at season end.  So losing tonight is bad, but not fatal.  

It would make TB a must win for the Bills I believe.. I could be wrong but a loss to NE and TB and you need to win out and hope someone else beats NE as well. 

4 hours ago, Italian Bills said:

Well… obviously we all know the “weight” about tonight game vs the Pats but after the sunday’s putcome it gained more and more importance. We are 5th at 7-4 and with the wins of Pitts and KC all the four ahead of us in the Conference standing are 8-4. 

Winning tonight would be beyond than huge… i can say crucial for our moment and season expectations. After yesterday scores tonight we can’t really miss the chance to regain the lead the Division first and the credit in the Conference and League. 

We are the better team ? Everybody here think yes, me too, but almost everybody here is really worried about the tonight result. Josh and company will feel the high stake too… i really hope they will be able to play in control of their emotion, using all their energies on the field playing a great and smart game, don’t having any regret at the end. 

The refs ? Well… let’s stop to think little and start thinking big, we can control our future tonight and playing a great game won’t let the refs control it. But we must play a very smart game, without stupid mistakes. 

We play at home, in our house, supported by almost 70k great fans, the very best in sport, let’s make this day a day to remember like the ones of the Marv, Kelly and Bruce time. 

LET’S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BILLSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS ! Let’s make us proud of you guys !!!!!!!

It's a regular season game. This definitely needed new thread.  For sure

24 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

It would make TB a must win for the Bills I believe.. I could be wrong but a loss to NE and TB and you need to win out and hope someone else beats NE as well. 

Pats schedule is pretty tough the rest of the way.

at Buffalo

at Indianapolis

Buffalo

Jacksonville

at Miami

The only creampuff left is Jacksonville. Even the game at Miami will be tough. The Fins are playing very well and they usually give the Pats a hard time in Miami. I think even with Brady the Pats have a below .500 record from the Bill and Tom era to now.

• Like (+1) 1

Gigantic game.  Besides KC, the Bills have not beat a good team.  If they win, major statement. If they lose(or even worse, get embarrassed) it's same old Bills. If that happens,m ts time to focus on draft and free agency IMO

Edited by Pete
  • Disagree 1

4 hours ago, Italian Bills said:

This will be Allen's biggest regular season test in his career in my opinion. I must win game against against arch rival who is now leading the division and healthy. There is a massive difference because the Patriots were not healthy or leading the division last season.  Unlike the Bills the Patriots brought in key free agents and improved their roster. If we lose tonight this could give Patriots confidence not only for this season but for the next few seasons because Beane has money tied into vets on this team.  The guys who wanted more money and got paid need to show up tonight,  Poyer/Hyde/Milano and most important Allen.

9 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Pats schedule is pretty tough the rest of the way.

at Buffalo

at Indianapolis

Buffalo

Jacksonville

at Miami

The only creampuff left is Jacksonville. Even the game at Miami will be tough. The Fins are playing very well and they usually give the Pats a hard time in Miami. I think even with Brady the Pats have a below .500 record from the Bill and Tom era to now.

As a fan, the game that scares me outside of Buffalo is Indy. I actually fear them more because if there is one area the Pats D has looked awful at times it’s against the run.

Miami I expect a win, but again a close game. 

tonight? I think the pressure is on Buffalo. I say this because if the Pats lose (even badly) people just say “ learning experience for a rookie” or “hey it’s year 2 of a rebuild” meanwhile if the Bills loss I can only imagine what they would be saying. Also is there a chance the Bills come out flat after their mini bye week.?

Just now, PatsFanNH said:

As a fan, the game that scares me outside of Buffalo is Indy. I actually fear them more because if there is one area the Pats D has looked awful at times it’s against the run.

Miami I expect a win, but again a close game. 

tonight? I think the pressure is on Buffalo. I say this because if the Pats lose (even badly) people just say “ learning experience for a rookie” or “hey it’s year 2 of a rebuild” meanwhile if the Bills loss I can only imagine what they would be saying. Also is there a chance the Bills come out flat after their mini bye week.?

Pressure is on both teams but more so the Bills because they are home. McDermott likes to use the phrase "DEFEND OUR DIRT". Well tonight is the perfect time to do that. If the Pats lose they can always say the rematch is in our house. If the Bills lose then they have to go to NE and get a win for the split which will be harder to do.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Gisele said:

I just wish we were better built for the Buffalo winter.  Love our chances, but a Buffalo team shouldn't be so concerned about the weather.  

This is the one area where Beane has failed. He needs to build an OL similar to that of the Colts. I am all for having Allen throw the ball all over the place to Diggs, Knox etc etc but a cold weather football team needs to be a able to run the ball when they have to especially in bad weather. No matter how the season plays out I hope Beane improves the OL this offseason.

Edited by Greg S
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Italian Bills said:

Why do you have to start a new thread each and every time you have a new thought? There are a million other threads about the game currently on the board. Reply in one of them, instead of starting a new thread. Each. And. Every. Time.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Success said:

We're just not used to having big division games this late in the season.

It's a big game, but we play them again in a few weeks.  And we did better at their place last year.

We just need one of these. They need 2.

Just guessing here but 11 wins probably guarantees the playoffs and maybe the division. The Bills have three tough games and three games they should win

NE(2) at TB - tough

CAR,ATL, NYJ - should win

If the Bills don't "Jacksonville" one of the games they should win and they at least split with NE then they should be in good shape.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Just guessing here but 11 wins probably guarantees the playoffs and maybe the division. The Bills have three tough games and three games they should win

NE(2) at TB - tough

CAR,ATL, NYJ - should win

If the Bills don't "Jacksonville" one of the games they should win and they at least split with NE then they should be in good shape.

The problem is that if they can't beat the Patriots at home how can one think they will beat them in NE?

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Arkady Renko said:

The problem is that if they can't beat the Patriots at home how can one think they will beat them in NE?

Last year they won a close one over NE at home and had a blowout win at NE so anything can happen. Definitely would like the Bills to get this one. It would put a lot of pressure on them to win the rematch. If the Colts can beat them at home then that would really put them in a tough spot when the Bills play at NE.

Edited by Greg S
  • Like (+1) 1

I look to the Steelers performance yesterday to show the way for the Bills. The Steelers were reeling, and doubted as still being contenders, the Ravens were on a roll, Rothlisberger was seen as basically finished. The weather was very similar to tonight's forecast, dropping temperatures, with winds at 20-25 MPH. (There is zero chance of snow/rain tonight). The Steelers gutted out a tough game ageist the division/conference leaders. If the Bills are true SB contenders, they absolutely must win this game. No excuses, (Every team has injuries this time of year). Anyone who thinks the Bills lose this game, and then come back and beat the Bucs next week is delusional. At that point the Bills are 7-6, and are the Denver Broncos or Cleveland Browns. (They'll be at the bottom of the "In the hunt" category).If this is our time, we cannot let the hated Pats come into our home, and rub our faces in the dirt. Tonight is EVERYTHING. Bills 23-20.       

2 hours ago, Greg S said:

This is the one area where Beane has failed. He needs to build an OL similar to that of the Colts.

Quick quiz: how many teams have an OL as good as the Colts? Zero? 1? 2?

All teams have missing pieces! Salary cap, all 32 teams looking for top talent...

Yeah the OL should be improved but to say "Beane has failed"... What?

39 minutes ago, Arkady Renko said:

As this never happens. Newsflash: it happens, every year, all around the league. Come on, get a grip you guys. This game is super important, and you're d amn right I want the Bills to win it, but it's not a playoff game, and not do or die... yet. Just that losing gets the Bills no margins of error to make the big dance, it's a moral blow and all that. I expected the media to be all over the Pats but this board?  It's not a Brady led 16-0 team here!

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Jerome007 said:

Quick quiz: how many teams have an OL as good as the Colts? Zero? 1? 2?

All teams have missing pieces! Salary cap, all 32 teams looking for top talent...

Yeah the OL should be improved but to say "Beane has failed"... What?

We have an average at best OL a weak one at worst. We are one dimensional on offense because of it. Overall both Beane and McDermott have done a good changing the culture of the Bills. If the Bills fail to get to or win the Super Bowl it will be OL that most likely holds us back. We need to be better here going forward. This has to be a priority this offseason. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Gigantic game.  Besides KC, the Bills have not beat a good team.  If they win, major statement. If they lose(or even worse, get embarrassed) it's same old Bills. If that happens,m ts time to focus on draft and free agency IMO

Who have the patriots beaten? Tennessee and Cleveland teams riddled with injuries? Not saying they’re bad by any means but they are certainly in the same boat as us when it comes to that. I think their best win was their 3 point win vs the chargers…every other playoff caliber team has beaten them when reasonably healthy.  they just got a couple of those tough matchups out of the way early on their schedule and caught Cleveland and Tennessee at the perfect time. Same deal with KC…this whole ‘getting hot’ thing is an illusion. They just had a brutal stretch of games to start the season.  

28 minutes ago, Ross Murdock said:

I look to the Steelers performance yesterday to show the way for the Bills. The Steelers were reeling, and doubted as still being contenders, the Ravens were on a roll, Rothlisberger was seen as basically finished. The weather was very similar to tonight's forecast, dropping temperatures, with winds at 20-25 MPH. (There is zero chance of snow/rain tonight). The Steelers gutted out a tough game ageist the division/conference leaders. If the Bills are true SB contenders, they absolutely must win this game. No excuses, (Every team has injuries this time of year). Anyone who thinks the Bills lose this game, and then come back and beat the Bucs next week is delusional. At that point the Bills are 7-6, and are the Denver Broncos or Cleveland Browns. (They'll be at the bottom of the "In the hunt" category).If this is our time, we cannot let the hated Pats come into our home, and rub our faces in the dirt. Tonight is EVERYTHING. Bills 23-20.       

Lol they are the broncos just because they’d share a record with the broncos? Do people not consider scheduling at all when they’re looking at a team’s record?  We’d be at 7-6 with 3 very winnable games left and one tossup. Assuming we lose two games in a row which is a bit absurd…bucs have looked very beatable  at times 

8 minutes ago, Greg S said:

We have an average at best OL a weak one at worst. We are one dimensional on offense because of it. Overall both Beane and McDermott have done a good changing the culture of the Bills. If the Bills fail to get to or win the Super Bowl it will be OL that most likely holds us back. We need to be better here going forward. This has to be a priority this offseason. 

I think every team has at least one glaring exploitable weakness this season with the reduced cap this year…which is why you’re seeing a lot more upsets.  To be fair we have been missing 2 starting offensive linemen most of the season and Dawkins seems like his serious Covid case in the offseason has effected him. We’re likely getting those two guys back tonight and Dawkins should get better as the season goes on so the oline could shore up pretty quickly to close out the season. Our pass blocking looked great at times last season 

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Ross Murdock said:

Would have agreed, however when you used the word delusional, I needed to respond. They definitely can beat the Bucs, even with a loss, however they definitely should win tonight & that is why I am so bothered by the weather forecast.  A decent night (dry, around freezing and winds <10) and the Bills sould win by 10+.  Weather unfortunately can be the great equalizer. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.