Sean McDermott is pissed at the refs who didn’t throw a flag for the low hit on Allen

BuffaloBills1998

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

I’m not a fan of how protected QBs are, but by the rule book that should have been 15.  Also I’m happy to see McDermott advocating for his QB.  Might get a call sometime for that. 

I thought McD handled it as well as he could.........he said it.......then told reporters he wasn't going to expand on it.    Don't want the refs pissed at you as a HC.

What's important to remember is that officials have been tasked with keeping the faces of the franchises on the field............it's not so much about the letter of the law............if they are legitimately concerned that a QB might get knocked out of the game on their watch.........then they will be quicker with the flags.  

You can't fight the law in the NFL.   You gotta' bend it to your advantage.      

9 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

There should have been a taunting call, and a roughing the passer call on that play.

But the refs were consistent and kept the flag in their pockets for both teams all night (as much as possible, anyways). And it definitely made for a better game. Since they were pretty fair about it, I'm fine with no calls there.

I wont judge them compared to how other crews call games. We know NFL officiating is an absolute mess in general. But I'm fine with the way Thursday night went.

I accepted it immediately because it was not egregious and the officials allowed them to play otherwise. I thought those officials on a whole did well.

2 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Allen isn’t in the “protected” status like some others are and Coach McDermott isn’t a complainer who rails on the refs and works them during a game…McDermotts approach is going to have to change cause Allen takes some hits that would knock other QBs out for the season 

The Bills aren't in the "protected" status like some other teams are.  They start complaining and calling out the refs, they're going to be treated even worse.  Just look at Hughes.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

is that really your interpretation - that Josh snapped his head back? ....really?

it was clearly the Saints D-lineman who was barking at Josh then head-butted JA with his face-mask........looks like you are distorting this episode to somehow suit your narrative.

😂😂😂😂

no interpretation needed.

I mean I didn’t create the narrative that Allen is a Flopper.  You google it and there are many videos and articles all about his added “gamesmanship” going back to the Ravens Game and 49ers Game Snd now you can add the “head-butt” by the Saints guy.

the ref is right there and is thinking “ummm 17…your head snapped about 2-3 seconds after the Saints guy got in your face.  That’s now physical contact works”.  It should be instantaneous.  😂  “Time to go back the huddle 17.”

it’s not a huge deal.  Many NBA stars employ the flop.

allen has been called on it before.  If he can trick the refs into throwing the flag then better off for the team.

But when he does it so poorly it just looks ridiculous.  And if his blatant flops make the refs less inclined to call real penalties then it becomes a problem.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

There should have been a taunting call, and a roughing the passer call on that play.

But the refs were consistent and kept the flag in their pockets for both teams all night (as much as possible, anyways). And it definitely made for a better game. Since they were pretty fair about it, I'm fine with no calls there.

I wont judge them compared to how other crews call games. We know NFL officiating is an absolute mess in general. But I'm fine with the way Thursday night went.

This is the best thing I'll read about NFL officiating this season. Sincerely. Competing things can be true at the same time: like two BLATANTLY missed calls on one play, BUT when that happens in the context of a pleasantly and consistently UNDER-officious (nod to Marv) game, then we should take the good with the bad as the game is mostly decided by the ACTUAL results on the field with fewer interruptions. 

Bills home games, in particular this season, have been excruciatingly over-officiated and blundered by the respective crews. I've never booed the refs so hard so often in all my life as a fanatic.

I just want the refs to stay out of it if the teams let them. That should be their goal. Too often it looks like they're TRYING to be involved. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Not really fine with no calls because we put the flags away on plays that could end my quarterbacks season or career.

Low hits to QB legs while planted are ugly, ugly stuff.

In facf, I dont really like the "we put the flags away" concept at all. Thats like saying the agreed upon rules do not apply.

The problem everyone has is that "they put the flags away" sometimes, and sometimes not. That's just not consistent. Always one way or always the other but one crew being flag happy and another not throwing any flags (playoff style) shouldnt be too hard for a billion dollar organization to correct.

Why didnt NY call down and penalize that man for going at allens legs? They call down for a lot lamer ***** like correct allens first down spot 1 inch backwards in TN.

Protect our QB!

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Buddo said:

The only thing I will say in relation to this, is that Allen generally, doesn't appear to get the same treatment when it comes to 'roughing the passer', as many other QBs seem to.

Now, Josh is a big unit, and he shrugs off a lot of stuff, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be called regardless.

7 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Allen isn’t in the “protected” status like some others are and Coach McDermott isn’t a complainer who rails on the refs and works them during a game…McDermotts approach is going to have to change cause Allen takes some hits that would knock other QBs out for the season 

I think McDermott recognizes this and made a calculated decision to publicly call the refs out on an obvious missed roughing the passer call.  He's always been very careful with his words so it pry got the attention of every ref crew throughout the league.

It's smart because Lamar Jackson has gotten some fortuitous calls since he publicly did the same.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Don't officials throw more flags at the beginning of the season and then let up as the season goes on and as we get to the playoffs? It's like they train guys to not do certain things by throwing the flag early and then let the ticky-tack ***** go late in the season. 

9 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

😂😂😂😂

I mean I didn’t create the narrative that Allen is a Flopper.  You google it and there are many videos and articles all about his added “gamesmanship” going back to the Ravens Game and 49ers Game Snd now you can add the “head-butt” by the Saints guy.

the ref is right there and is thinking “ummm 17…your head snapped about 2-3 seconds after the Saints guy got in your face.  That’s now physical contact works”.  It should be instantaneous.  😂  “Time to go back the huddle 17.”

allen has been called on it before.  If he can trick the refs into throwing the flag then better off for the team.

But when he does it so poorly it just looks ridiculous.  And if his blatant flops make the refs less inclined to call real penalties then it becomes a problem.

My thought exactly. It’s not a good look.

12 hours ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

is that really your interpretation - that Josh snapped his head back? ....really?

it was clearly the Saints D-lineman who was barking at Josh then head-butted JA with his face-mask........looks like you are distorting this episode to somehow suit your narrative.

Dudes an Allen hater don’t even bother 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

I’m not sure about that.

in 2019 and 2020, Allen almost perfected getting “cheap” roughing the passer calls.

He was masterful at, scrambling to his right, throwing the ball off-balance, and if a defender just put a hand on his shoulder pad, he was flinging himself to the ground and drawing the Roughing the Passer.

Its not pretty to say…

But

Allen is sort of a Flopper.  And a bad actor at that when he does it.

it had me laughing when the Saints defender talked to Allen face-to-face and suddenly Allen SNAPPED his head back like he just got a brick to the face.  😂 

Now…should some hits on him draw yellow?  ABSOLUTELY.

But again…some things working against Allen.

1.) He’s Big (like Cam Newton, Refs aren’t always bailing out the big ones.)

2.) He may have a little reputation as a Flopper.

3.) He has that “b*tc*ing” to the ref after every hit mentality that probably isn’t going over well.

At this point…he’s not working the refs particularly smart or effective.

manure-in-shovel.jpg

• Thank you (+1) 2

My problem with the officiating is inconsistency and confusion. Hitting the QB low is a penalty, it’s not subjective. It doesn’t matter how hard, it doesn’t matter that it didn’t effect the out come of the play. Taunting is subjective, this is where inconsistency comes into play. I can’t remember which game (think is was the Titans), WR is jawing at Wallace, who has his back to the guy walking away and paying no attention. Titans WR gets called for taunting. Taunting who? The air? Wallace was clearly had no idea. So if that’s taunting then getting in Josh’s face and touching his helmet with his facemask is taunting. 

The confusion on some calls this season has been head scratching, I don’t recall ever seeing it before and I’ve been watching football for a long time. There have been instances where it appeared that since a flag was thrown they needed to figure out what penalty to call. If officials are confused as to the penalty then it shouldn’t be one.

Go Bills

Edited by chris heff
  • Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

😂😂😂😂

you're funny … kind of

Edited by BuffaninSarasota

11 minutes ago, BillsFan692 said:

Touching helmets is taunting he was jawwing at allen when he tapped his helmet.

The penalty fans want on that play is not roughing or hit to a head its TAUNTING.

So allens "snapping back" has nothing to do with it.

I'm less concerned with "taunting," which I think is a stupid penalty, than banging into someone's helmet when it's completely unnecessary.  I'm not sure if anyone saw it on TV but Dawkins put his shoulder into him when he walked by him.

On 11/27/2021 at 11:15 AM, DrDawkinstein said:

Agreed. Generally, I'm one of those guys that complains about the refs all the time (I'll admit it) but it seems like they got it right the last game. 

3 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Of course it depends on the qb. Your marquee revenue generating qbs like Brady, Rodgers and Mahomes will always get those calls. Josh is a great franchise qb but he's yet to reach that echelon. Maybe someday?

That echelon...in which Trevor Siemian apparently resides?

On 11/28/2021 at 7:34 AM, Nitro said:

The rule is the rule.   Know the ref crew going into the game because some are flag happy and others let them play.  

So, the rule isn't the rule after all? 

On 11/27/2021 at 12:26 PM, Doc said:

That's crap.  If the league is intent on protecting QBs, it should apply to all equally.

Never has, never will.  Like Ben R. and Cam Newton before him Allen will never get his fair share of the calls.  It sucks, but get used to it.

• Agree 2

Once again in regards to refs, there is a perception that calls are not consistently called when it comes to late hits, roughing, PI, holding, etc.  I think the perception is real but these are subjective calls and I also think it is hard for refs to see everything and that is not recognized by fans....single set of eyes can't see everything at once.  Especially when it comes to something subjective where a judgement needs to be made.

45 minutes ago, Beerball said:

Never has, never will.  Like Ben R. and Cam Newton before him Allen will never get his fair share of the calls.  It sucks, but get used to it.

Nope.   It seems to be open to interpretation.  

On 11/27/2021 at 11:21 AM, Talley56 said:

Agree, for as much as we complain about officiating calls that don't go the Bills' way, we definitely get calls in our favor that tend to go unnoticed.  I still maintain that, when we played the Chiefs, on Buffalo's last TD drive, when Josh threw the INT that got called back due to roughing the passer, that was a terrible call in our favor.  That was a big play given that the Chiefs would have had the ball at around midfield when it was still a two-possession ball game.

There was a super bogus holding call on Morse on the play before the one you reference. That went for a first down if not for the phantom hold. The roughing was also pretty text book landing on the QB with your whole weight. That was not a terrible call in our favor at all. 

Edited by YattaOkasan
  • Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

There was a super bogus holding call on Morse on the play before the one you reference. That went for a first down if not for the phantom hold. The roughing was also pretty text book landing on the QB with your whole weight. That was not a terrible call in our favor at all. 

I will agree about the ridiculous holding call on Morse. 

However, nothing about that hit on Allen was text book landing on him with his whole weight.  The defender was clear as day trying to hold up and accidentally landed on Josh due to momentum.  Sorry, but it was very much a horrible call in our favor.  No way around that.

• Dislike 1

8 minutes ago, Talley56 said:

However, nothing about that hit on Allen was text book landing on him with his whole weight.  The defender was clear as day trying to hold up and accidentally landed on Josh due to momentum.  Sorry, but it was very much a horrible call in our favor.  No way around that.

It doesn't matter intent.  If he landed on top of him, and he did, it's a penalty.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Beerball said:

Curmudgeon 

"a bad-tempered person, especially an old one. "

:)

19 minutes ago, Doc said:

It doesn't matter intent.  If he landed on top of him, and he did, it's a penalty.

As I understand the rule, it's not just about the defensive player landing on the QB.  It's about him purposely driving all or most of his weight on top of the QB and when I watch that play it looks to me like the defensive player is trying to ease up and not forcefully put all of his weight on Allen.  I guess at the end of the day it is a judgement call.

11 hours ago, Talley56 said:

The initial hit is fine. And he does hold him up some. But at the end he drives shoulder. Can’t do that. 

that’s the textbook part. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.