Marquez Stevenson designated IR-Return

MAJBobby

Either way I doubt he is available for Thursday. If I remember right from last year Bills really take advantage of that 3 week roster exemption and practice time. 

maybe finally put Beasley on IR to really heal. He obviously isn’t right. Or just take Kumerow’s spot as he is offering NADA. 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Agree 2

20 minutes ago, SMAKCruiser said:

That too :)  Am I the only one really nervous when McKenzie returns kicks/punts?  I felt this way long before the Colts fumble.

No, McKenzie plays small, which is a good thing in the slot and going in motion. I've always felt that punt returns would fit his strengths, but he's too small for the big collisions on kickoffs. Similar to Roscoe Parrish when he was returning punts, but they left Mcgee to Kickoff duty. 

The way I see it is McKenzie can not field a kick return again for this team if you are serious about sending a message.

No he's not the sole reason this team lost against the colts but his mistake killed any chance they had to get back in the game. Also McDermott spoke about him multilple times in interviews with the media saying 'he knows he can't turn the ball over'. So it's empty words to let this guy keep playing and the time is now to send a message and make a change if you are coaching staff serious about holding your poor performing team accountable.

And for those that say it could get worse with a rookie, sure he can do the same thing and fumble but that's about it. Best case he actually protects the ball, runs a kick back and gets worked into the offense the rest of the season.

Either way it's time to end the McKenzie experiement for good in Buffalo and if Daboll is gone after this season I'm sure it's a given that McKenzie is also long gone from this team.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Niagara Dude said:

I would bring him up and let Jones go,  but most likely with Sean that will not happen

I would also activate him and let Kumerow walk, but that is me.  But likely wont happen until next week they will get him a full week of practice IMO

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

He would bring more than Kumerow and gives a return option over McKenzie 

Maybe, maybe not. You don't know.

The question was "how could it hurt at this point?"

The team is 6-4 and still fighting for the division. It's not like they're already out of the playoffs.

So, it COULD actually hurt.

McKenzie and Kumerow have been just okay. Would Stevenson have beaten either of them for the job? We don't know if he's gonna be better or worse. He could make a crucial mistake that DOES hurt them.

The answer is that it could definitely hurt at this point.

He'd be taking a spot in a position group that has been the least of their problems. You don't fix the team by fixing what doesn't need to be fixed.

Realistically, I'm sure they have some specific packages for him and maybe want to give him some ST oopportunities. But we can't act like they have nothing to lost at this point. They still have a lot to lose.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

What has Kumerow provided at all since making the team?  at least McKenzie has provided both offense and ST (yes I acknowledge his mistake against the colts).  And yeah if Stevenson was healthy out of camp I think he is on the team before Kumerow.

47 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I would also activate him and let Kumerow walk, but that is me.  But likely wont happen until next week they will get him a full week of practice IMO

They have some options here.  Kumerow is part of the COVID crew, which might make him ripe for a little vengeance from an obviously POed McD.  And McKenzie’s carelessness should have been dealt with awhile ago.  McKenzie is more useful than Kumerow at this point, so maybe Jake moves aside to make some space for Stevenson.  Whatever.  It’s time for a shakeup, and it almost doesn’t matter which screw up they dispose of.  

I’ll add this: I feel like Daboll has been setting up a deep shot to Kumerow in a “gotta have it” situation all year with this WR shuffling that invariably involves us either running or throwing horizontally when Kumerow and McKenzie come on the field together.  So maybe that saves Jake for a bit.  I don’t know.  But one way to shake the malaise is with a roster move, and it’s time for a change. 

5 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I'm done with McKenzie. He had fumbling issues before he was promoted to FT returner. Get Stevenson in there and see what he can do?

I vaguely recall carelessness is what got McKenzie cut in Denver.  Two misadventures in the last two home games is not a good look for him. 

36 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

The team is 6-4 and still fighting for the division. It's not like they're already out of the playoffs.

McKenzie and Kumerow have been just okay. Would Stevenson have beaten either of them for the job? We don't know if he's gonna be better or worse. He could make a crucial mistake that DOES hurt them.

He'd be taking a spot in a position group that has been the least of their problems. You don't fix the team by fixing what doesn't need to be fixed.

Realistically, I'm sure they have some specific packages for him and maybe want to give him some ST oopportunities. But we can't act like they have nothing to lost at this point. They still have a lot to lose.

The ST return game needs fixed, McKenzie has been inconsistent and not been great keeping the ball. Also with him on ST and not as a full time WR our offense has struggled. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I'm done with McKenzie. He had fumbling issues before he was promoted to FT returner. Get Stevenson in there and see what he can do?

If I were McD i certainly would be tempted to give McKenzie his walking papers.

Send a message to the rest of the team (which apparently 3 dreadful quarters versus the Dolphins and 2 horrendous games).

Then again, McDermott was talking about McKenzies underdog story as a kids and what he has overcome so I think he has a soft spot for him.  Also McDermott is not petty and vindictive as I am.

The risk of activating Stevenson is the loss of a roster spot that is needed elsewhere.  If they decided to remove McKenzie from the roster in lieu of Stevenson, then you have a one-for-one swap.  The problem with Stevenson is that he has a pretty long injury history, which is why he slipped to the late rounds of the draft.  If they activate him, lose McKenzie to another team, then Stevenson gets injured, where are they?  Stevenson is also a rookie - can he be trusted down the strech in a playoff run?  McKenzie has not shown reliable hands in the return game, but has been effective as a receiver, on jet sweeps and when he actually does secure the ball, he has been explosive on kick returns.  

I'm not advocating one way or the other, but am just pointing out information that says this isn't an easy decision.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Because the WR position has been the least of their problems.

It's more return game I want to see. 

8 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

There is a very decent chance of this… but then what becomes of McKenzie?

He's a good receiver and the jet sweeps keep D off balance.  I honestly believe that's what's missing on this O. 

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

There are plenty of guys on the roster (and in the WR room) who have contributed zero, so I'm not sure what there is to lose.  And as we've seen with Matt Breida, this staff isn't particularly good at evaluating their own personnel, so Stevenson could be a budding superstar, for all we know... 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, berg1029 said:

He's small enough that he might be able to trip them up

I wonder if he's going to take over kick off return duties after McKenzie's fumble last game?

3 hours ago, UConn James said:

Or… not fumble a kickoff?

3 hours ago, SMAKCruiser said:

That too :)  Am I the only one really nervous when McKenzie returns kicks/punts?  I felt this way long before the Colts fumble.

McKenzie is top 5 in league in KO return yards.  Be careful what you wish for.  Just saying.

Just cuz he's designated to return, doesn't mean he has to.  Maybe they just want a better opportunity to "kick the tires" on him & see how he's progressed, or perhaps as motivation for McKenzie (though I don't think effort/motivation is an issue w/ him, it's ball security, or perhaps just securing it).  If they decide he's not worth activating, doesn't he just revert back to season long IR?

6 hours ago, SMAKCruiser said:

His kickoff incompetence have led to two opponents touchdowns this year.   Colts and vs Washington when he horribly misjudged a kick off

Both at home due to weather.  Another reason for a dome :) 

6 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

McKenzie is top 5 in league in KO return yards.  Be careful what you wish for.  Just saying.

That’s without the stupid holding penalty against the Titans when he returned it for what should’ve been go ahead td.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

If I were McD i certainly would be tempted to give McKenzie his walking papers.

Send a message to the rest of the team (which apparently 3 dreadful quarters versus the Dolphins and 2 horrendous games).

Then again, McDermott was talking about McKenzies underdog story as a kids and what he has overcome so I think he has a soft spot for him.  Also McDermott is not petty and vindictive as I am.

And there lies the problem with this soft team. Sean has too many soft spots for certain underperforming players. While guys like Davis, Breida and Bates sit on the bench. I've never been wowed by his personnel decisions.  Look how long it took him to dump Peterman. Get tougher with these guys and lose the soft spot. End the penalties or you run. End the Instagram practices or you run. Soft is as soft does.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.