Again the offense is just off....

Billsfan1972

https://www.wsj.com/articles/josh-allen-patrick-mahomes-two-high-cover-two-data-11637552010?st=eszmchtgi8gx64h&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

The problem for offenses like the Chiefs and Bills is they thrive on going deep and aren’t as accustomed to nickeling and diming their way down the field. On early downs, excluding situations when the game is out of hand, Kansas City has passed 62.3% of the time—the second most often in the league entering Sunday’s games, according to rbsdm.com. 

The team that’s far and away first in that early-down passing metric: the Bills, at 68.7%. 

Typically, that’s one of the things that makes their offenses cutting edge and effective. But their struggles to do that against these defenses they’re seeing more often has weaponized their own styles against them. 

Allen hasn’t struggled quite as much as Mahomes in these situations, with 0.187 EPA against two-high going into Sunday. But it has also been deployed against him effectively, with the past few weeks showing how. The team that used it most against him, the Jaguars, limited what had been the NFL’s best offense to its worst output of the season. Allen, afterward, said Jacksonville used “two-high shells forcing us to throw underneath” and that he didn’t do a good enough job against it.  

“We’re going to learn from this,” he added. 

Fortunately for Allen, the next week he played the New York Jets, who apparently didn’t know much about this. They used two-high just three times against him—and Allen torched them in a 45-17 win. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

The Bills aren’t terrible. They just aren’t anywhere near as good as they were hyped up to be. After ten games that’’s clear now. Last night the Chargers looked like the Bills want to look, with a no name support cast around a young stud QB. And yet, the Chargers almost blew it and have the same record as our Bills. Things are going to have break the Bills way to make the playoffs. I don’t see this roster beating the Patriots or the Buccaneers. 

Disagree here. The Chargers have as good of a supporting cast around Herbert as there is in the league. Maybe even better than ours when you consider their offensive line. Keenan Allen has consistently been one of the best receivers in the league and Mike Williams is very good. Jared Cook is a decent TE and Ekeler is hands down better than any RB we have. He is at least a top 10 back and one of the best pass catching backs in the league. Their offensive line is probably top 5. 

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Every national show this morning is ripping the Buffalo offense. Saying all the same things.  The offense is one-dimensional and completely finesse.  No physicality whatsoever.  Teams game plan to make the opponent one dimensional and the Bills do it themselves and make it so easy for opposing defense.

Justifiably so. The issue is lingering, festering. I find it shocking that McD hasn't forced Daboll to change his philosophies. Lack of balance has been an issue from game 1 and yet we see little to no change. 

McD is a HC, the team should be steered in the direction he wants. Either he is fine with the philosophy or is too weak to make Daboll change. Either way, if the O doesn't change, this season will end up as a MASSIVE disappointment given the (paper) talent and expectations we had at the beginning and a month back.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, Casey D said:

I tend to agree.  Defense was simply unable to stop long methodical drives.  Bills only had three possessions in the first half.  The third after the McKenzie fumble really ended the game.  This game was mostly on the D.

But something more cosmic is wrong with this team.  The personnel is better than last year, but the team much worse.  I don't know what it is, maybe the vax issue which is galling to me and might be to others on the team when key guys are out because they won't get vaxed.  It gives other teams--almost all of whom have more players vaxed--a competitive advantage.  Maybe it has nothing to do with that.  But something is wrong in that locker room IMO.  

I think you are likely more right than wrong on this.  This team isn't as together as they were last year.  Covid and the vax issue has divided this country, workplaces, communities, families.  It stands to reason he could divide a team.  In the pressers the players and coaches are very guarded when the subject or player availability is mentioned.  

6 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Justifiably so. The issue is lingering, festering. I find it shocking that McD hasn't forced Daboll to change his philosophies. Lack of balance has been an issue from game 1 and yet we see little to no change. 

McD is a HC, the team should be steered in the direction he wants. Either he is fine with the philosophy or is too weak to make Daboll change. Either way, if the O doesn't change, this season will end up as a MASSIVE disappointment given the (paper) talent and expectations we had at the beginning and a month back.  

Agree. There seems to be a philosophical divide, McD in his press conferences doesn't seem to sound like Daboll coaches. He believes the NFL requires you to  attempt to stay balanced. Daboll's actions would tell us he believes it's still 2-3 years ago still, and when balance was a much reduced requirement for offenses.

1 hour ago, jkeerie said:

I think you are likely more right than wrong on this.  This team isn't as together as they were last year.  Covid and the vax issue has divided this country, workplaces, communities, families.  It stands to reason he could divide a team.  In the pressers the players and coaches are very guarded when the subject or player availability is mentioned.  

Well said.  The all for one and one for all philosophy of this team makes this a particularly vexing issue for this group because it calls into question who has who's back, team first and all that.  I mean the Pats are run on fear.  I imagine Belichick tells his team, get vaxed or I'll cut off your nuts.  I mean the difference in philosophy is one reason I love the Bills and hate BB and the Pats.  But as you say, for a team like the Bills it is more likely is divisive. 

Edited by Casey D
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Said it before, but yesterday again brought it to light.  24-7 I still thought tds to end the half and start the second was in the cards.

But they were terrible.  Yes the weather was bad, but again, just so little from the offense when needed.

What's going on?

Aren't the Bills a cold weather, open field team who can handle the elements?  Especially against a dome team?   I didn't see the Colts players dropping passes or turning the ball over.  We lost our one on ones all around.  Their TE Doyle made Knox look like a piker.  Doyle can catch and run block.

Lots of holes to fill in off season.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

We're simply not that good.  It's really as easy as looking at who we've beaten .. and who we've lost to.  This is a middle of the road team, at BEST.  And that's not gonna change as long as Beane ignores the trenches.

How exactly did he "ignore" the trenches?

First four (!) Bills draft picks in 2021 were OL or DL, our first pick year before was DL, we got Star back this year, he resigned Williams and Feliciano and it is hard to argue that at least first one was above average in pass blocking last year.

You can say that he is making wrong moves but he is not ignoring DL and OL.

And I am always wondering what are fans expecting. In my understanding there were like 3 or 4 interior linemen available in FA who were "sure" upgrades versus what we had. But there are 32 teams in the league, competing for same players. Some players want to go elsewhere, some just want money and maybe Beane didn't want to overpay (which is a good thing in general). Maybe he really should draft Humphrey instead of Basham, but it is not like he has thousands of options and he is blind to see them. Again, we can always argue that he made wrong moves but he is not ignoring trenches.

Said it before, but yesterday again brought it to light.  24-7 I still thought tds to end the half and start the second was in the cards.

But they were terrible.  Yes the weather was bad, but again, just so little from the offense when needed.

What's going on?

For a bad weather team, the Bills cannot run the ball and they cannot stop the run.  That is a terrible combination.

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

The Offense has been off.. even when it’s on, it still looks like a grind this year.  

That said, I don’t take much away on Offense from yesterday.  

They had three possessions in the first half.  All three possessions moved into Indy’s side of the field.  

They had two possessions….. TWO, before getting the ball in rain/wind, right before half down 24-7.  

I mean.. what offense is going to do much of anything given those circumstances? 

Are you asking about an offense on a winning team?

52 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m dying to see Mac Jones against us. He’s been a machine.

I wouldn't go there to say he's been a machine. He's been efficient and effective. He dinks and dunks the ball well. He seems to manage a game and handle pressure well for a young QB. He plays well under their system. He has exceeded my expectations. However, he's not even remotely close to the talent of a Josh Allen. Perhaps the comparasion isn't fair to Jones. 

The big thing to me - turnovers.  5 turnovers in the first 7 games.  9 in the last 3.  Yes 1 is mckenzie on a flukey play where he tripped - but there was a 6 point flip in the jags game.  One pick in FG territory where we lost points, and one pick in our territory where we gave them points.  Then in this game one pick put them in good position at the 43 in the first half, the mckenzie debacle, and the icing was that deflected mess play that made it a laugher. 

The 2 first half turnovers made this the blowout that it was though - everything they gameplanned for this team was thrown out the window and they went back into spread offense because of it.  I'm not sure they would've been able to stop taylor anyway, but by spotting them field position at the 43 and 2 yardline, they needed 59 yards to get 14 points.  That's unacceptable.

2 hours ago, Billzgobowlin said:

That's a lot to ask any offense.  Getting in a hole 24-7 and expecting everything to go right.  There is probably only a couple teams in the league that you would be optimistic about that type of comeback.

Yah that is a hell of a hole to get out of but we have seen the Bills score 40 points easily but the D which shows up against not so good teams doesn't show up against teams with a good run game yesterday happens .

Usually the D was what kept us in games so Josh could put up the points but the O lone along with the D had to ave failed in order to be called out like they were i didn't watch the game but the score says it all & it looks as if the opponent has a good running game the Bills will be screwed & won't make it very far.

Too the Bills running game they need a bigger back that can pound it like a AJ Dillon even if the O line isn't as good as it should be a bigger back has a better chance of running over a LB our backs r good with a above average O line but given the deficiencies they are lacking in more ways than 1 .

There were 3 or 4 good size RB's in the last couple of drafts that had proved to be better than Moss yet they passed on them & took Moss which is about the same size as Motor maybe they need to use the FB more but they definitely need something just not sure where the answer lies .

2 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I wouldn't go there to say he's been a machine. He's been efficient and effective. He dinks and dunks the ball well. He seems to manage a game and handle pressure well for a young QB. He plays well under their system. He has exceeded my expectations. However, he's not even remotely close to the talent of a Josh Allen. Perhaps the comparasion isn't fair to Jones. 

They stopped turning it over.  They always ran the ball pretty well, they're just doing it a ton now.  Getting into plus down and distance.  

They also have one of the best defenses in the league.  Solid rush defense, and they rush the passer well and create turnovers.  Takeaways = field position = points.  

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Casey D said:

I agree.  The defense will have off games now and then.  They were bad yesterday, and the offense did little to help them.

That wasn't an "off game" by the defense in that some key mistakes were made, too many penalties, blown coverages and all. No, they got run all over them, even when it was obvious to all the Colts would run. That was an issue in the past, and sadly, we saw it still is.

When Star is back, and when Edmunds is back, having a 3 LB set with Klein also playing most snaps... that can sure help. But bottomline, the Colts OL manhandled badly the Bills DL.

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, cisco2403 said:

Disagree here. The Chargers have as good of a supporting cast around Herbert as there is in the league. Maybe even better than ours when you consider their offensive line. Keenan Allen has consistently been one of the best receivers in the league and Mike Williams is very good. Jared Cook is a decent TE and Ekeler is hands down better than any RB we have. He is at least a top 10 back and one of the best pass catching backs in the league. Their offensive line is probably top 5. 

And I’ll disagree right back. There’s nobody in the league that’d swap the Chargers receivers for the Bills and their Line is again, a bunch of no names. Ekeler is OK but hardly considered elite.  As I said, they’ve got the same record as the Bills. Just another decent, not great, team …like the Bills. The difference is that nobody picked the Chargers to go to the Super Bowl. Heck they aren’t even supposed to win their Division. 

46 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/josh-allen-patrick-mahomes-two-high-cover-two-data-11637552010?st=eszmchtgi8gx64h&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

The problem for offenses like the Chiefs and Bills is they thrive on going deep and aren’t as accustomed to nickeling and diming their way down the field. On early downs, excluding situations when the game is out of hand, Kansas City has passed 62.3% of the time—the second most often in the league entering Sunday’s games, according to rbsdm.com. 

The team that’s far and away first in that early-down passing metric: the Bills, at 68.7%. 

Typically, that’s one of the things that makes their offenses cutting edge and effective. But their struggles to do that against these defenses they’re seeing more often has weaponized their own styles against them. 

Allen hasn’t struggled quite as much as Mahomes in these situations, with 0.187 EPA against two-high going into Sunday. But it has also been deployed against him effectively, with the past few weeks showing how. The team that used it most against him, the Jaguars, limited what had been the NFL’s best offense to its worst output of the season. Allen, afterward, said Jacksonville used “two-high shells forcing us to throw underneath” and that he didn’t do a good enough job against it.  

Fortunately for Allen, the next week he played the New York Jets, who apparently didn’t know much about this. They used two-high just three times against him—and Allen torched them in a 45-17 win. 

we saw yesterday the problem with the 2-high shell. We have to execute on all the underneath stuff. It’s wide open. But we dropped balls and committed bad penalties at the worst time. That defense just makes an explosive offense dump the ball down the field, and banks on you making mistakes. The way you beat it is to just execute on easy stuff.

Can’t have errant 5-yard passes, and dropped balls. The opening second half drive illustrates this. We just dropped like 3 easy balls, and that was it. 

• Like (+1) 1

What's going on?

The defense couldn't stop a nosebleed

32 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

How exactly did he "ignore" the trenches?

First four (!) Bills draft picks in 2021 were OL or DL, our first pick year before was DL, we got Star back this year, he resigned Williams and Feliciano and it is hard to argue that at least first one was above average in pass blocking last year.

You can say that he is making wrong moves but he is not ignoring DL and OL.

And I am always wondering what are fans expecting. In my understanding there were like 3 or 4 interior linemen available in FA who were "sure" upgrades versus what we had. But there are 32 teams in the league, competing for same players. Some players want to go elsewhere, some just want money and maybe Beane didn't want to overpay (which is a good thing in general). Maybe he really should draft Humphrey instead of Basham, but it is not like he has thousands of options and he is blind to see them. Again, we can always argue that he made wrong moves but he is not ignoring trenches.

Wrong word.

He did a horrible job addressing the trenches.  Both of our lines suck.  Badly.

For the last month every thread I posted there were a # here telling me how full of it I was and how stoopid I was posting such drivel .

I made observations as to what was happening in the moment and figure  btw teef where are you to insult me)d that the Bills would correct it.

Funny I still think they will.

However a # are pretty quiet (btw Teef where are you to insult me now???), because it seems I was right.  

THis team is way too good to be playing like this.

Yep patting myself on the back......😜

Edited by Billsfan1972

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Excellent find. Best analysis I've read yet. This comment on the Jets is hilarious:

That changed again Sunday. The Colts showered him with those looks. Allen struggled, again. He threw two interceptions and ended the game on the bench after getting blown out 41-15. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Excellent find. Best analysis I've read yet. This comment on the Jets is hilarious:

That changed again Sunday. The Colts showered him with those looks. Allen struggled, again. He threw two interceptions and ended the game on the bench after getting blown out 41-15. 

Regardless there hen should be a lot underneath.  It was Jax for darn sakes.

Either Allen is a star and this offense is elite or they are paper tigers.

Edited by Billsfan1972

When the opposing team puts a 2 score lead on us, JA seems to press too much. Every pass seems to be off, whether it be wide where the receiver can barely get a hand on it , or more often, the pass sails high.

Then there is the unexplainable push passes where the ball lands at the receivers feet.

Until he relies on the fundamentals,  he will be just a good QB, not a great one.

• Like (+1) 1

For the last month every thread I posted there were a # here telling me how full of it I was and how stoopid I was posting such drivel .

I made observations as to what was happening in the moment and figure  btw teef where are you to insult me)d that the Bills would correct it.

However a # are pretty quiet (btw Teef where are you to insult me now???), because it seems I was right.  

@teef come get your beating.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, motorj said:

I figured the game was going to be off when Ford killed the momentum with the penalty where Allen was going to run for a big one. Then the McKenzie fumble pretty much sealed it. 

That was one of a few key plays that gave me a sense this was going to be a loss.   I hated that chip kickoff in the opening.   I knew that was a bad sign. Same with that missed sure sack. 

In all fairness to Cody,  Williams was offside too.  Could have been called on either player. 

4 hours ago, aristocrat said:

Need to get Cole going more. He makes the offense go and we have got to get more targets there. 

I was thinking the same thing. 

Whenever Cole is the focus, the ball comes out quickly and Cole always seems to be open. A couple of those plays and all of a sudden the rest of the O gets switched on. 

However, when he’s not part of the game plan, we have games like this one. 

IMO Cole is the key to our O. We need him involved regularly and begin the search for a comparable physical talent to groom behind him. 

12 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

What's going on?

The weather was bad for both teams.  Bills didn’t have it after the initial pick. Even that drive seemed labored 

22 hours ago, Andy1 said:

We have all seen teams worse than our Bills overcome 24-7 deficits with a half a game still to play. They seem to be missing inner mental strength to overcome difficulties. Maybe they got spoiled on a soft schedule. Maybe coaches aren’t adjusting enough. Maybe they just think Josh will pull a rabbit out of a hat to win. They were missing key players yesterday but good teams find a way to overcome obstacles. Whatever it is, they better figure it out soon.

How often have you seen it in a rain and wind storm? How often have you seen it, when the opposing offense is still scoring every time they touch the ball. 

The O is off, I have been saying all year they have not lived up to potential but to judge them after Sunday’s loss is ridiculous. 24-7 and the only stepped on the field twice. Sure the first interception hurt but our D gotta play better then they did. You can’t catch up when the D gives up points on every drive. Bills moved the ball quite well early but mistakes lead to a turnover and Bass missed two kicks. Even if Allen didn’t throw the first pick, 3 points was not a guarantee there in that weather. 

Edited by BananaB

And everytime I said this earlier in the year, I was told how ridiculous a statement it was as the Bills offense was #1.

Agree with you it’s been all year. I was thinking initially it was the pressure of Allen’s contract expectations and he needed to settle in.  I think it’s just horrid coaching at this point from our OC.  We are predictable and boring and lack energy. 

21 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

give me a ***** break.  every time the bills lose, you come back to thump your chest?   this post alone warrants you being ***** on.  

let's not forget...you're the guy who said he'd rather see a 300 yard game than a win.  you're not to be taken seriously.

Edited by teef

we need a return to basics like crazy, and daboll simply isn't competent.

our corches are overconfident and arrogant.  not having adjustments, just going back to the well over and over again when nothing is working, putting in moss over breida, it's all so tiresome.

if mcd is worth his salt, he's slapping the double burger with cheese out of dabolls mouth and pressing his face into a sign that reads "KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID" right now.

59 minutes ago, teef said:

give me a ***** break.  every time the bills lose, you come back to thump your chest?   this post alone warrants you being ***** on.  

let's not forget...you're the guy who said he'd rather see a 300 yard game than a win.  you're not to be taken seriously.

Great response.  Not surprised Teef.  I'm a huge Bills fan and always have them going 16-0 and think no deficit is too big.  Go find the 300 yard comment and the context and the year.  Pretty sure it was having enough of 150 yard passing games and unable to score 20 points a game and going longer then any NFL team the last 20 years going 48 games unable to reach a 300 yard game.  

You've been going after me over and over and frankly I haven't said outlandish things.  Stated facts that a fan sees watching the game and was told how wrong I was.  I than each time said all I want is wins and thought all is fixable.  Still do.

Sunday and Jax were pathetic.

But happy to hear you got properly drunk on Sunday.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Great response.  Not surprised Teef.  I'm a huge Bills fan and always have them going 16-0 and think no deficit is too big.  Go find the 300 yard comment and the context and the year.  Pretty sure it was having enough of 150 yard passing games and unable to score 20 points a game and going longer then any NFL team the last 20 years going 48 games unable to reach a 300 yard game.  

You've been going after me over and over and frankly I haven't said outlandish things.  Stated facts that a fan sees watching the game and was told how wrong I was.  I than each time said all I want is wins and thought all is fixable.  Still do.

Sunday and Jax were pathetic.

But happy to hear you got properly drunk on Sunday.

when you stop creating thread strictly for attention, poster,(and not just me) may respond a bit better.  this all started with you not thinking diggs was getting enough targets.  people didn't think it was a big deal, and it wasn't because the offense was working.  somehow this evolved into you calling out the offense not playing well, and this childish nonsense began.  

you create threads, and even when people give you proper responses, you just ignore the conversation, and key in on if someone calls you out.  it's what you want, and you act shocked when it happens.

i have zero idea what's going on in your life, but this need for attention is insane.  when we see a tread that you've started, most of us realize it's not to have a discussion, but to start this kind of nonsense.  it's sad.  if you need it, so be it, but most of us don't.  the game was terrible, but i had fun because i was with family and friends.  yesterday i took off to spend more time with my family that's up for the holidays.  you know...the important stuff in life?  

On 11/22/2021 at 7:23 AM, Billsfan1972 said:

What's going on?

O line and crap RBs…it is that simple.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.