Joe Buscaglia Shares The Root Cause of The Bills Struggles and Why It’s a Major Issue

JohnNord

Is it Daboll, Josh, The O-Line, the RB’s?   YES to all, but it’s a bit more complex.  

On the Bills Beat podcast Joe Buscaglia revealed the reason for the Bills offensive struggles:

The short:

Teams are selling out to stop the passing game and the Bills haven’t found an answer.

The long:

The offense has not been able to beat a Cover 2 Shell defense.  The scheme has allowed less talented teams to bridge the gap with inferior players.   It’s basically the KC treatment this season and unless they can figure out a way to solve this, I think what has happened to KC might be a comp.

Of course like any issue, there are many reasons:

Offensive line - perhaps the “trunk” of the issue.   Can’t pass protect and can’t run block.  OL is getting good running looks but can’t generate any yards.  Easily the biggest issue.

Running backs - See above…but also our backs don’t threaten anyone or make teams pay for having a light box.

Quarterback - Josh, like Mahomes this season, is getting no help from his backs & OL.  He’s trying to do much including moving when he doesn’t need to.  

Play calling - Brian Daboll had not found a scheme to consistently get teams out of Cover 2.  The easiest thing to do would be to run the ball against a light box. But issues with #1 and #2 above really limit what they can do.  They did try to use Beasley as a RB yesterday to move the sticks but he couldn’t get any YAC.  This week, Daboll & crew need to go back to the drawing board and completely install new routes plays to offset the terrible OL and of course this scheme.  

Next week will be a major test for the Bills and could be the turning point of the season.  It’s possible they could find an answer.  Also possible that the a question mark going into this season (the OL) could sink their chances.  

Joe isn’t pushing the panic button yet but says that this is a major concern that the Bills will need to address or else, teams will just play the same defense.  

As fans we just have to take this week to week.  Hopefully they find an answer.  

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-buffalo-beat-a-show-about-the-buffalo-bills/id1373776577?i=1000541080089

• Like (+1) 8
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 14

Very accurate description of our issues. The answer to me is a uptempo short passing game.

I might also add we need to get over settling for field goals. We seem to have this mindset that getting three is failure. That cost us the game.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

just what i was afraid of,  the Bills,  like the Chefs,  have been figured out.   u cant be one dimensional in this league and hope to succeed on a regular basis.   the offense has been off all year,  and it become really obvious the last few weeks that opposing DCs have figured out what works against us.    u want to do what u do best,  but if its taken away u need to adapt.   appears we cant at this point.   not looking good for the near future.    gotta find some sort of run game.

• Agree 1

Why is McKenzie not being utilized at all on jet sweeps this year with his speed and quickness??

10 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

The Bills could lose to the Jets, that’s obvious cause they lost to Jax. Yesterday’s loss says any team can beat the Bills…. Not looking good fans.

Could but I doubt they will. How many times have they lost to inferior opponents? Almost never.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

In terms of broad trends, looks like the RB position isn't going to be plug n play anymore.  We might see more of Breida, if holes are only going to flash open, we need speed.  Long term, we need speed and power rather than elusiveness. Get a big back, get him going down hill, and make nickel and dime looks pay a price.

Also, ya know, some decent guards would be nice, along with a firm commitment to an identity in the run game, and an OL coach who can execute it.

• Like (+1) 2

Making yourself voluntarily one dimensional on offense only helps the other defense. It’s senseless. I have been saying it even all through last year. Then you have the Jeremy Whites of the world that  just says, the answer is throw it more. You absolutely need to get some semblance of a running game going or every physical team is going to beat us. I love the players on our offense but I have the design of our offense.

• Like (+1) 2

The line up of Dawkins, Feliciano, Morse, Williams, & Brown was at least functional.  Losing Feliciano and Brown hurt.  Ford is flat-out bad.  Must be somebody better sitting out there on one of the other 31 practice squads.  But given the context of a 3 point game getting your QB consistently hit while calling 47+ pass plays, in a 3 point game where your "D" surrenders just 3 FG's, vs. 9 touches for your RBs isn't a sound strategy.  Giving up way too early on the run. 

Its almost like Daboll is letting his ego dictate the game plan in order to prove he's going to make it work.  And will stick to it until it does.  Way too predictable and maybe its time to drop the genius tag and call a more balanced game.  The offense didn't need to be dominant or great yesterday, only average to beat the Jags.  But for me it looks like they're swinging for the fences all the time instead of playing and calling a more situational game

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

Just now, All_Pro_Bills said:

The line up of Dawkins, Feliciano, Morse, Williams, & Brown was at least functional.  Losing Feliciano and Brown hurt.  Ford is flat-out bad.  Must be somebody better sitting out there on one of the other 31 practice squads.  But given the context of a 3 point game getting your QB consistently hit while calling 47+ pass plays in a 3 point game 3 FG's vs. 9 touches for your RBs isn't a sound strategy.  Giving up way too early on the run. 

Its almost like Daboll is letting his ego dictate the game plan in order to prove he's going to make it work.  And will stick to it until it does.  Way too predictable and maybe its time to drop the genius tag and call a more balanced game.

Problem is RB'S are not that good.....

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

Just now, TBBills said:

No one can explain why the teams sold out for the pass last year and it wasn't a problem. The only problems this year are the teams are selling out the pass and the Bills are trying to run against it instead of doing what they are good at.

Easy rush 4 use rest in coverage.  Many teams using this. Along teams using this vs Chiefs. Bill's have a bad o-line. They cannot run to suck up the lbs in play action or even run the ball. o-line has been bad all year. Teams figured that out what they are good at.

1 minute ago, thenorthremembers said:

If a NFL Offensive Coordinator cant beat a Cover 2 Shell, he needs to be fired.   That said, the Bills will figure it

Think they will figure out too. Have to do many things different this point forward.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, TheProcess said:

Now they are struggling against the vanilla cover 2 shell. Not some complex defense bringing pressure from everywhere. No…f’n cover 2. That’s embarrassing and on Daboll just as much, if not more, than the players. 

This isn’t new. Any team with at least 2 guys in their front 4 that can win one on one vs o line, wrecks this offense. Then drop the other 7 into coverage. 

The Bills should be consistently ripping off 7 yard runs with this look. 

it’s what Tennessee has done effectively twice now. Jax and Pittsburgh did the same. 

What’s most disappointing is they seem to allow this coverage to completely remove the best WR in the NFL last year from the game. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think this sums up the offensive issues perfectly.  The Bills Offense has been figured out and they’re just not adjusting. 

Maybe it’s stubbornness?  Maybe they just don’t have the horses up front to do it?   I think it’s more to do with the former.

There are ways to game plan around a weak offensive line.  Teams do it.  Problem is... we’re not.   The pass plays take too long to develop and the running plays are right into the teeth of the defense. 

They better figure something out fast. Because they’re going to see this over and over again.  The Jets can certainly do what the Jags just did. And I’m afraid belicheck is going to hand them a massive humiliation in 2 weeks.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

This isn’t new. Any team with at least 2 guys in their front 4 that can win one on one vs o line, wrecks this offense. Then drop the other 7 into coverage. 

The Bills should be consistently ripping off 7 yard runs with this look. 

it’s what Tennessee has done effectively twice now. Jax and Pittsburgh did the same. 

What’s most disappointing is they seem to allow this coverage to completely remove the best WR in the NFL last year from the game. 

Agreed. Once they “solve” this defense, next they’ll be telling us they struggle against prevent defense. I’m being facetious, but Daboll tends to lack a counterpunch far too often for my liking. Too damn stubborn with his game plan.

Sad to say it, but so far this team peaked at the KC win. They built them up in their heads, finally beat them, and thought they could just show up and coast through the rest of the schedule. Saving their best stuff for more worthy opponents will get your ass beat. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Joe Buscaglia must have been scouring the TBD Message Board because many posters have been preaching the same thing for awhile since the Pittsburgh game, even the AFC Championship game.  

We are all Bills fans.  We watch all the games, and know what we need.

TBD was also banging table for DK Metcalf instead of Cordy Ford.

So sometimes we do know what we are talking about

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, TBBills said:

No one can explain why the teams sold out for the pass last year and it wasn't a problem. The only problems this year are the teams are selling out the pass and the Bills are trying to run against it instead of doing what they are good at.

This doesn’t appear be true. You ran the ball only 9 times against the Jags. (Not counting Allen scrambles) I don’t see how you came to your conclusion based off of the numbers alone?

also I have heard your O line has 2 missing players do to injury. Are they on IR or Game to game?

• Agree 1

Just now, Pete said:

We are all Bills fans.  We watch all the games, and know what we need.

TBD was also banging table for DK Metcalf instead of Cordy Ford.

So sometimes we do know what we are talking about

Yeah - get that guy outta here.  I was fine with him as depth but in this one he looked massively unprepared.  He doesn't know how to play guard as far as i can tell - he can block just fine - its the blocks he misses completely that bother me the most.

4 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

Agreed. Once they “solve” this defense, next they’ll be telling us they struggle against prevent defense. I’m being facetious, but Daboll tends to lack a counterpunch far too often for my liking. Too damn stubborn with his game plan.

2019 it was Cover 0.  Hopefully they figure this out.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

Now they are struggling against the vanilla cover 2 shell. Not some complex defense bringing pressure from everywhere. No…f’n cover 2. That’s embarrassing and on Daboll just as much, if not more, than the players. 

Everyone is to blame, but it gets back to chicken vs egg debate.  Does Daboll have the talent on the OL or RB to beat this defense.  It’s very tough to do anything when your line is consistently beaten by a 4 man front

5 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Everyone is to blame, but it gets back to chicken vs egg debate.  Does Daboll have the talent on the OL or RB to beat this defense.  It’s very tough to do anything when your line is consistently beaten by a 4 man front

If you have nothing to beat a simple cover 2, then fold up shop. Season is done. Because this is what we’ll get from every team the rest of the way. Even if those defenses don’t have perfect personnel to play it, we’re getting it. 

Where it’s more on Daboll to me is around game plan. Yes, our RBs suck, and injuries are hurting an already shaky talent level on the oline, but Daboll has to put his players in better positions to succeed. He has to. Adjust and stop being so stubborn, particularly when punched in the mouth. And I refuse to believe he has no plan that will work to attack a basic cover 2. This team is too talented at QB and receiver to have no answers. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

Is it Daboll, Josh, The O-Line, the RB’s?   YES to all, but it’s a bit more complex.  

On the Bills Beat podcast Joe Buscaglia revealed the reason for the Bills offensive struggles:

The short:

Teams are selling out to stop the passing game and the Bills haven’t found an answer.

The long:

The offense has not been able to beat a Cover 2 Shell defense.  The scheme has allowed less talented teams to bridge the gap with inferior players.   It’s basically the KC treatment this season and unless they can figure out a way to solve this, I think what has happened to KC might be a comp.

Offensive line - perhaps the “trunk” of the issue.   Can’t pass protect and can’t run block.  OL is getting good running looks but can’t generate any yards.  Easily the biggest issue.

Running backs - See above…but also our backs don’t threaten anyone or make teams pay for having a light box.

Quarterback - Josh, like Mahomes this season, is getting no help from his backs & OL.  He’s trying to do much including moving when he doesn’t need to.  

Play calling - Brian Daboll had not found a scheme to consistently get teams out of Cover 2.  The easiest thing to do would be to run the ball against a light box. But issues with #1 and #2 above really limit what they can do.  They did try to use Beasley as a RB yesterday to move the sticks but he couldn’t get any YAC.  This week, Daboll & crew need to go back to the drawing board and completely install new routes plays to offset the terrible OL and of course this scheme.  

Next week will be a major test for the Bills and could be the turning point of the season.  It’s possible they could find an answer.  Also possible that the a question mark going into this season (the OL) could sink their chances.  

Joe isn’t pushing the panic button yet but says that this is a major concern that the Bills will need to address or else, teams will just play the same defense.  

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-buffalo-beat-a-show-about-the-buffalo-bills/id1373776577?i=1000541080089

Beane said after title game our RB'S never offered enough homerun ability,  Singeltary is totally useless even when hole opens.  

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

If you have nothing to beat a simple cover 2, then fold up shop. Season is done. Because this is what we’ll get from every team the rest of the way. Even if those defenses don’t have perfect personnel to play it, we’re getting it. 

Where it’s more on Daboll to me is around game plan. Yes, our RBs suck, and injuries are hurting an already shaky talent level on the oline, but Daboll has to put his players in better positions to succeed. He has to. Adjust and stop being so stubborn, particularly when punched in the mouth. And I refuse to believe he has no plan that will work to attack a basic cover 2. This team is too talented at QB and receiver to have no answers. 

I have to disagree with you.  I think you are underestimated the impact that that an underperforming OL is having on the offense.  He obviously had a plan after the Miami game but there was a clear lack of execution…that falls on the players

9 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

Beane made a bad calculation in the offseason. Moss and Singletary are the same player, and that player is ineffective, even if the OL is playing to its potential. 

The Basham pick was a sign of either arrogance or ignorance, equally disturbing.

I really like the Basham pick.  I think also there wasn't a RB that would have been a difference maker at that point in the draft.  The top two would have made the most sense and Harris is ok for Pitt but Etienne hasn't even seen the field.  

1 minute ago, Niagara Dude said:

Beane said after title game our RB'S never offered enough homerun ability,  Singeltary is totally useless even when hole opens.  

Yes he did, and he did nothing at all to address the issue in the off season.  How many time have you seen our RB's in the open field out run a defensive player.  Straight up you haven't because quickness still does not equal or beat raw speed and power.  We got Breida, we don't use him and he has been back shelved.  We have no Jet sweeps anymore.  We don't have any speed in the backfield at all.  Just sad to have a OC that can't call plays to offset the what the defense is throwing at us during the game.  Isn't that a requirement at OC in the NFL anymore.  I just don't get the coaching philosophy in the last two games, very poor and way below average.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I have to disagree with you.  I think you are underestimated the impact that that an underperforming OL is having on the offense.  He obviously had a plan after the Miami game but there was a clear lack of execution…that falls on the players

That’s fair. I’m not absolving the players here. They have to execute what’s called. But Daboll knows his weaknesses going into the game. He knows the line and backs are weak. Yet, he doesn’t call plays to hide some of their weaknesses. No Knox, no Brown, no Mongo and he keeps calling the same stuff. He has to be more self aware and call a better game. And, yes, absolutely the team needs to execute better on whatever is called. 100%. 

2 hours ago, JohnNord said:

The short:

The long:

He’s right after rewatching the game Josh was simply taking what the defense gives him and his backs and receivers where during zero after the catch  

Once again we are getting zero line push Daboll relies so much on Josh to hide the warts on this offense it finally caught up to him….

Devin Singletary and Zach Moss scare no one I can’t help but think what Javante Williams would have been doing now since his line is every bit as average in Denver and he just ran all over Dallas yesterday and we passed on him for Greg Rousseau 

• Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.