Joe Buscaglia Shares The Root Cause of The Bills Struggles and Why It’s a Major Issue

JohnNord

2 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Is it Daboll, Josh, The O-Line, the RB’s?   YES to all, but it’s a bit more complex.  

On the Bills Beat podcast Joe Buscaglia revealed the reason for the Bills offensive struggles:

The short:

Teams are selling out to stop the passing game and the Bills haven’t found an answer.

The long:

The offense has not been able to beat a Cover 2 Shell defense.  The scheme has allowed less talented teams to bridge the gap with inferior players.   It’s basically the KC treatment this season and unless they can figure out a way to solve this, I think what has happened to KC might be a comp.

Of course like any issue, there are many reasons:

Offensive line - perhaps the “trunk” of the issue.   Can’t pass protect and can’t run block.  OL is getting good running looks but can’t generate any yards.  Easily the biggest issue.

Running backs - See above…but also our backs don’t threaten anyone or make teams pay for having a light box.

Quarterback - Josh, like Mahomes this season, is getting no help from his backs & OL.  He’s trying to do much including moving when he doesn’t need to.  

Play calling - Brian Daboll had not found a scheme to consistently get teams out of Cover 2.  The easiest thing to do would be to run the ball against a light box. But issues with #1 and #2 above really limit what they can do.  They did try to use Beasley as a RB yesterday to move the sticks but he couldn’t get any YAC.  This week, Daboll & crew need to go back to the drawing board and completely install new routes plays to offset the terrible OL and of course this scheme.  

Next week will be a major test for the Bills and could be the turning point of the season.  It’s possible they could find an answer.  Also possible that the a question mark going into this season (the OL) could sink their chances.  

Joe isn’t pushing the panic button yet but says that this is a major concern that the Bills will need to address or else, teams will just play the same defense.  

As fans we just have to take this week to week.  Hopefully they find an answer.  

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-buffalo-beat-a-show-about-the-buffalo-bills/id1373776577?i=1000541080089

You think Singletary would be racking up yards against that because the draw back of the cover2 is the middle linebacker has to drop back and cover deep because the two safeties split on third downs. shot gun draws to the running back up the middle kills that defense but also a fast tight end running streaks down the middle also kills cover 2.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Very accurate description of our issues. The answer to me is a uptempo short passing game.

I might also add we need to get over settling for field goals. We seem to have this mindset that getting three is failure. That cost us the game.

The problem with "uptempo short passing game" is that when teams can flood the middle of the field with 7 defenders, it takes time for even guys like Beasley and Sanders to get open, and throws are dangerous and must be pinpoint accurate to avoid disaster. 

The first MIA game, Josh's INT on a short passing game throw to Diggs is an example of this.  The throw was at or just a little bit behind Diggs instead of leading him, and the defender (playing tight) was able to pick it.

40 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

That’s fair. I’m not absolving the players here. They have to execute what’s called. But Daboll knows his weaknesses going into the game. He knows the line and backs are weak. Yet, he doesn’t call plays to hide some of their weaknesses. No Knox, no Brown, no Mongo and he keeps calling the same stuff. He has to be more self aware and call a better game. And, yes, absolutely the team needs to execute better on whatever is called. 100%. 

Just what exactly do you want Daboll to call?

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

On a jet sweep does anyone care? 

We've already seen it. When DL are there before the WR can get to the outside it's a guaranteed loss of yards

also while we're talking about cutesy playcalling, let's have more of those passes that are 5 yards behind the LoS to the sideline to the RB that always lose at least 3.  Surely one of them will break for a big gainer!

2 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Is it Daboll, Josh, The O-Line, the RB’s?   YES to all, but it’s a bit more complex.  

On the Bills Beat podcast Joe Buscaglia revealed the reason for the Bills offensive struggles:

The short:

Teams are selling out to stop the passing game and the Bills haven’t found an answer.

The long:

The offense has not been able to beat a Cover 2 Shell defense.  The scheme has allowed less talented teams to bridge the gap with inferior players.   It’s basically the KC treatment this season and unless they can figure out a way to solve this, I think what has happened to KC might be a comp.

Offensive line - perhaps the “trunk” of the issue.   Can’t pass protect and can’t run block.  OL is getting good running looks but can’t generate any yards.  Easily the biggest issue.

Running backs - See above…but also our backs don’t threaten anyone or make teams pay for having a light box.

Quarterback - Josh, like Mahomes this season, is getting no help from his backs & OL.  He’s trying to do much including moving when he doesn’t need to.  

Play calling - Brian Daboll had not found a scheme to consistently get teams out of Cover 2.  The easiest thing to do would be to run the ball against a light box. But issues with #1 and #2 above really limit what they can do.  They did try to use Beasley as a RB yesterday to move the sticks but he couldn’t get any YAC.  This week, Daboll & crew need to go back to the drawing board and completely install new routes plays to offset the terrible OL and of course this scheme.  

Next week will be a major test for the Bills and could be the turning point of the season.  It’s possible they could find an answer.  Also possible that the a question mark going into this season (the OL) could sink their chances.  

Joe isn’t pushing the panic button yet but says that this is a major concern that the Bills will need to address or else, teams will just play the same defense.  

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-buffalo-beat-a-show-about-the-buffalo-bills/id1373776577?i=1000541080089

They sure as heck seem to think WR screens are the answer...

They're not btw...At least not the way the Bills run them...B-)

48 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Cover 2 shell defense.  Line blocks. Josh gets time. Beasley finds the opening but drops the ball.

I think so much of the problem is the OL:

That was ...sarcasm?  Although if Josh felt trust in his OL, he could maybe take a little bit more time and make a more accurate throw.  That's a wholly catchable ball though.

I'll put it out there, I think the coaches are giving too much latitude to Beasley's self-evaluation that he can be "full go" for games where he's seriously injured.

I think when Beasley drops a throw like that, it could be a sign that he's playing hindered enough that he needs to sit his ass down and give McKenzie a chance.

Likewise, Sanders is a problem IMO.  He gushes about Josh in practice, but for whatever reason, he is not coming through in games if the ball isn't perfect (and sometimes not even then).  He couldn't practice all preseason due to "foot" and now he can handle 84% of the snaps in a game?  He played >90% of the snaps in the 3 games we lost and was 4 of 8, 5 of 8, 4 of 8.  Now some of those throws were deep overthrows from Josh but that begs the question - why?  Is Josh throwing to a guy he sees in practice, to the spot that guy can get to in practice, but can't hold up and turn it on the same way when he's playing that many snaps in a game?

I think our WR and offensive coaches need to do some self-scouting of game performance.  These guys are professionals, these guys are competitive, they want to be out there and they want to get the ball.  They're also 34 and 32.  The fact is, Josh isn't getting some of the clutch catches that he got from Davis (and early in the season, from Smoke) last year.

Playing time vs performance is one of the things the coaches had better examine.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

alright, lets keep rolling with Singletary and Moss.  Opposing D will continue to game plan to stop those 2.  Moss and his 3.6 YPC strikes fear in rest of NFL

Your inability to see problems is the reason why you are in this loop of wanting a RB. Even though it's proven throughout the NFL that RBs are not needed as much. O Line is needed more than a RB.

I don't see you getting smart on the issue so it's useless to try with you anymore.

Edited by TBBills

2 hours ago, Gene1973 said:

Been saying this a while, wanted them to draft one in at least the 2nd round. But, Beane knows best and the Bills look like crap.

Najee Harris is making an impact in Pittsburg and keeping the ghost of Big Ben alive.  You can't plug and play late 3rd rounders and hope they become great lead backs. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Your inability to see problems is the reason why you are in this loop of wanting a RB. Even though it's proven throughout the NFL that RBs are not needed as much. O Line is needed more than a RB.

I don't see you getting smart on the issue so it's useless to try with you anymore.

Dude I’ve been banging the table for online and RB for year- wtf are talking about?

The Bills are starving for both!  Josh can’t do it all.  He needs help from RB and Oline- that is so ***** obvious!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

alright, lets keep rolling with Singletary and Moss.  Opposing D will continue to game plan to stop those 2.  Moss and his 3.6 YPC strikes fear in rest of NFL

Devin singletary has one career 100 yards rushing game. That's his rookie season in 2-3 years. Moss never had a 100 yards rushing game

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Devin singletary has one career 100 yards rushing game. That's his rookie season in 2-3 years. Moss never had a 100 yards rushing game

That’s what I’m talking about.

if you can’t run the ball in NFL you won’t go far.  Play action doesn’t work when they have no fear of the run

• Like (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

27 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

He still had 3-4 seconds.  Just can’t expect more than that when the DL doesn’t even pretend to worry about a run. 

You can't count the 3rd and 4th second when the defender had pushed the guard into his lap. He can't step into a throw when that happens. It's one thing to get pressure from the outside where you can step up and avoid to make a throw, it's another to have that pressure right up into your face having to retreat backwards. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Why is McKenzie not being utilized at all on jet sweeps this year with his speed and quickness??

Could but I doubt they will. How many times have they lost to inferior opponents? Almost never.

I think the lack of McKenzie is puzzling too, the offense is boring AF since last year.  They aren’t forcing teams to worry about anything other than an Allen run. 

1 minute ago, Calidiehard said:

You can't count the 3rd and 4th second when the defender had pushed the guard into his lap. He can't step into a throw when that happens. It's one thing to get pressure from the outside where you can step up and avoid to make a throw, it's another to have that pressure right up into your face having to retreat backwards. 

A little..  point being they’ve gotta get the ball out fast, in some way. I never used to buy into to this, but I’m now thinking I do buy the need for a more talented RB. Even on the check downs, just some one who can get that extra yard or two to move the chains, make someone miss. Nor Moss or Singletary impress in the open field. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, JohnNord said:

The short:

The long:

I agree with this with the exception of the QB being a problem - he isn't.  This is on the O-line and RB's.  And I'm not being a blind Allen homer here either.  Like with Mahomes in KC, Allen pressing is not really a problem because you want QB's that do this in response to these situations.  I want my QB to press and try to make plays in the face of inadequate O-line & RB play. 

If a team can't fix these problems they're not a Super Bowl contender and playing it safe to eek out close wins over bad teams is at most going to get you a first round elimination from the playoffs.  If you're lucky enough to actually make the playoffs.  If Joe B wants a Tyrod Taylor or Kyle Orton then that's fine.  I'm sure those two and many other QB's would be perfect at game managing their inferior offenses to a 9 - 8 season.  But I want fire in the belly of my QB. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Passing yards per attempt > rushing yards per attempt. Very true.

Also, if you were to graph passing y/a vs pass play %, there's going to be a curve generated. Most if not all of those curves would have a deflection point where defenses realize that YOU WILL NOT MOUNT A SUSTAINABLE RUNNING ATTACK. EVER. EVER. EVER. And then you're cooked.

This absolutely all hinges on the offensive line. That graph I mentioned above is directly tied to OL. You can beat those kinds of zone coverage with time. With time the QB can move defenders with his eyes and expand the holes in the zone. But at the moment he's spending the first 3 seconds after the snap worrying where the pressure will be coming from.

If you couple the Wyatt Teller debacle with the lack of development of Boettger & Ford, it sure looks like Johnson needs to go ASAP (the jury is still out on Brown, maybe Johnson hasn't had enough time to completely ruin him like Dawkins etc). You can't keep watching the same turnstiles.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I agree with this with the exception of the QB being a problem - he isn't.  This is on the O-line and RB's.  And I'm not being a blind Allen homer here either.  Like with Mahomes in KC, Allen pressing is not really a problem because you want QB's that do this in response to these situations.  I want my QB to press and try to make plays in the face of inadequate O-line & RB play. 

If a team can't fix these problems they're not a Super Bowl contender and playing it safe to eek out close wins over bad teams is at most going to get you a first round elimination from the playoffs.  If you're lucky enough to actually make the playoffs.  If Joe B wants a Tyrod Taylor or Kyle Orton then that's fine.  I'm sure those two and many other QB's would be perfect at game managing their inferior offenses to a 9 - 8 season.  But I want fire in the belly of my QB. 

could it be Allen can’t find the cover 2 holes  and get the ball there? Does it seem like some of the anticipation throw we saw coming on last year have vanished? 

Also, if a defense can do a cover2 shell near its end zone because you can’t run, good luck getting touchdowns in the red zone. 

Here's the crazy part about RB's.  The true lead RB's outside of Henry are multi-dimensional weapons that rack up all-purpose yards and scores. They are heavily involved in the pass game. Patterson in ATL is a WR who is being effectively used as an RB. For years Kamara and McCaffrey excelled at catching passes and running to keep a defense off its feet.  Add Swift and Ekeler into the group of RB's with 5-6+ rec a game for 50+ yds in addition to running for 60+

Gaskin, Harris and Edmonds have 30+ catches .

Carter, Hines, Drake, Davis, Taylor, David Johnson,  Elliot, Mixon, Bolden Javonte and Darrel Williams all have 20+REC and are all ahead of Singletary's 21.

I could go on with more #2 backs that have more catches before we get to Moss with 18. 

We need to get our RB's some space with passes. It seemed to be effective when they finally went to Singletary toward the end of the game. But then Josh fumbled.

Daboll needs to start scheming up better matchups to use our RB's and take away the cover #2.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That’s a tough question to answer without the benefit of all the information he has. I just don’t really see much creativity to counter or mitigate known weaknesses.

But, my layman’s opinion would be sprinkling in more max protect when we see how poor the line performs. Why not roll Allen out more looking to throw on some bootlegs to shift the pocket to give him a tick more time or decide to take off. I’d rather do that than the delayed QB draws that are predictable and go nowhere lately. Force the ball to Diggs more. Less horizontal passes or slower developing deep shot plays or WR screens. Less stretch runs that take forever to execute. Get the guys moving up field with YAC opportunities. I think we need to run more crossing routes and short to intermediate routes. If you’re going to split Sweeney out wide, then get him off the field and put Gabe Davis or Isaiah McKenzie in. Hell, even Kumerow. Either are better from a pure talent perspective than Sweeney. I’d say go back to some play action, but that wouldn’t likely have worked much yesterday with how quickly the line was letting guys through. 

I’ve said it in numerous other threads, but if Brown isn’t back, I’m sitting Ford and playing Bates. I’m also sitting Motor and playing Brieda if Moss is ok. Moss and Motor are too similar from a speed/talent perspective. Need to get more speed on the field. I’d even consider cutting (or finding an IR reason for) Ford and activating Stevenson. Having Stevenson up, may allow them to feel comfortable using McKenzie more on offense (e.g., jet sweeps). 

Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

could it be Allen can’t find the cover 2 holes  and get the ball there? Does it seem like some of the anticipation throw we saw coming on last year have vanished? 

Also, if a defense can do a cover2 shell near its end zone because you can’t run, good luck getting touchdowns in the red zone. 

No because Allen has completed a lot of those passes this year.  Allen doesn't need great pass protection he just needs average pass protection to hit all those throws.  He's shown this in almost every game this year except where it was a jailbreak at the snap.

His mobility in the pocket has been developing nicely and is among the best in the NFL.  That's why the play of his below average O-line and weak running game has not led to more sacks.  In fact the Bills had one of the best Offenses in the NFL through 7 games.  Allen was executing the pass offense very well in spite of the issues.  But yesterday with BOTH Brown & Felliciano out and Williams back out at RT the Bills O-line fell below the NFL standard for minimum competency.  The almost immediate pressure on Allen on almost EVERY freaking play was impossible for Allen or IMO any QB to overcome.

3 hours ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Problem is RB'S are not that good.....

What did most of the "dumb" mock drafters want the Bills to do in the draft or free agency? Daboll is stubborn and wants to prove that Moss is a good back. Singletary is meant to be a a horse but not your lead back. We signed Brieda...has he ever been active? 

3 hours ago, Greg S said:

Surprised the Bills didn't look to bring in AP like the Titans did. He is not in his prime anymore but he is probably still better than what we have.

Supposedly they "looked"

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The Bills can't do any better than no targets for Diggs the entire 3rd quarter, 3 targets in the entire first half? 

Isaiah McKenzie 2 catches? 

No, instead we need more Zack Moss.  

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.