Week 10: Bills at Jets

YoloinOhio

31 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Breida has barely been given a chance and Moss is excellent in pass pro/receiving out of the back field.  

Singletary could be good behind a better OL, but he just isn’t what we need. 

The real question is has Breida EARNED a chance? At least to this point in the season the people who see him practice day in and day out say "No".

51 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m only going to be able to see the 1st half of the game tomorrow  😣. I have a work obligation. I’m so sad. Why couldn’t it have been last week so I missed THAT game? 

Meh...just tell the boss you had a close contact to covid and you’re getting tested...trust me, no one will want you around the office tomorrow...😉

I would like to see Josh Allen make better use of taking what is there rather than trying to force a throw or force a run.  He's not running with it nearly as much as I would like.  I believe Josh's running is the catalyst that sets up the rest of the offense either in the passing or running game.  But he has to be smart and run with purpose not out of desperation to avoid being tackled.  Avoid the long ball and take the 10 or so yards the defence is giving him underneath.  Steady and methodical.  Homerun balls are nice but you need accuracy and I just don't believe until he shows me otherwise that's Josh's best suit.  Of course all this predicates on the O-line getting protection for him.  If the O-line flounders again this game, serious concern must be taken by somebody with the authority to do something tangible about it.

Edited by AbsoluteMeatHead
Too much time on my hands.
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

The real question is has Breida EARNED a chance? At least to this point in the season the people who see him practice day in and day out say "No".

At this point Singletary and Motor haven’t earned anything either. Practice is practice but if your not getting it done in a game your only hurting the team. At some point the coaches gotta say let’s give the other guy a shot

59 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Breida has barely been given a chance and Moss is excellent in pass pro/receiving out of the back field.  

I agree.  Singletary can't break any tackles and even when he catches one downfield he's immediately brought down.  I don't think he's fast nor strong enough for this team.

1 minute ago, BananaB said:

At this point Singletary and Motor haven’t earned anything either. Practice is practice but if your not getting it done in a game your only hurting the team. At some point the coaches gotta say let’s give the other guy a shot

Yea, I'll go with the opions of a coaching staff that sees them on a daily basis. Practice IS practice...and if you can't get it done there you shouldn't see a really game. Is Breida getting it done? No clue. Same as you don't know what Motor and Moss have perhaps done to earn it. 

So many fans think these guys really work 3 hours a week in Sunday. That's just all we see.  When it comes to fan opinions we legitimately have no clue of anything past what we see for a very small portion of their week.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Yea, I'll go with the opions of a coaching staff that sees them on a daily basis. Practice IS practice...and if you can't get it done there you shouldn't see a really game. Is Breida getting it done? No clue. Same as you don't know what Motor and Moss have perhaps done to earn it. 

So many fans think these guys really work 3 hours a week in Sunday. That's just all we see.  When it comes to fan opinions we legitimately have no clue of anything past what we see for a very small portion of their week.

If you don’t get it done Sunday what you do during the week does not matter. It’s that simple

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So Moss gets more YAC than Singletary (click to embiggen) and breaks more tackles than Singletary:

image.thumb.png.8a17c3039918813f2c32781f26d6bf68.png

I'm not sure what you mean by "more consequential snaps", but if you mean "gets the ball when we need 2 yards", well.....

Moss has also gotten more YAC as a receiver.

Not to nitpick but those stats actually show Singletary with slightly more yards after contact than Moss (2.2/att to 2.1), while Moss does break far more tackles than Singletary. In fact his 5.9 att/broken tackle is tied for the league lead with Javonte Williams. 

The first down % and the ybc seem to indicate that Moss is used far more often in obvious running situations. That would make a straight comparison of their rushing avg misleading imo.

Edited by Turk71
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Ok, fair enough, but PLENTY of fans here were begging for IOL help over the off-season… and here we are.  

It was the same people who watch these guys every day that made the decision to re-sign Feliciano and simply bring in a bunch of JAG’s for competition. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Except the Zach Moss narrative of being better in pass pro, is marginally better if at all. He has also been awful in pass pro this year

12 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Ok, fair enough, but PLENTY of fans here were begging for IOL help over the off-season… and here we are.  

It was the same people who watch these guys every day that made the decision to re-sign Feliciano and simply bring in a bunch of JAG’s for competition. 

And the same people the drafter Josh Allen, worked a trade for Diggs and other moves I could list 

Yes, a lot were hoping for IOL help. Doesn't have anything to do with what we were talking about.

44 minutes ago, BananaB said:

If you don’t get it done Sunday what you do during the week does not matter. It’s that simple

It's really not. But they, I'm sure the fantasy teams you run are doing SPLENDID!

2 hours ago, BananaB said:

I’m not sure who the better back is at this point and feel it’s really hard to judge with their snap counts and situations used. Devin seems to get more yards per carry but gets no attempts in the red zone where plays are more condensed. That’s tough running that they heavily rely on Moss for…. Like I said, I was looking forward to one guy getting more carries this week. The rotation they have is just not working. If Devin could get back to the way he played in his rookie year I think this board would be pretty satisfied, it’s possible he just needs carries.  Everyone talks about giving Allen attempts early to get in rhythm, what about the running backs who carry the ball less then 10 times a game? In close games it’s less then that, their attempts are blown up because of a few blowouts.

I dont disagree with RB's getting in a rhythm. What drives me nuts is there has been several games this year where we ran the ball early and Devin was getting good chunks, then next drive gets subbed out for Zach. Why? I can understand the short yardage plays (which I dont think Moss has been very good at this year), but they will just switch RB's after a drive even if they are doing well, thats dumb IMO.

I saw a thread about an article where we shouldnt blame Daboll... the fact we had 9 RB runs in a 6-9 game is completely on Daboll and is inexcusable. Especially when Allen was getting hammered all game.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

And the same people the drafter Josh Allen, worked a trade for Diggs and other moves I could list 

Yes, a lot were hoping for IOL help. Doesn't have anything to do with what we were talking about.

It's really not. But they, I'm sure the fantasy teams you run are doing SPLENDID!

Except it does when posters simply say “fans don’t watch these guys every day” thus inferring any opinions here are invalid.  

Our FO is fantastic, likely one of the best in the NFL.   This isn’t to say they are bad at their jobs… just that they aren’t perfect and may/may not have a few blind spots.  

We have zero explosiveness in our run game.  Nobody fears it… at all.  Can’t really change a ton about who’s on our OL,  but we do have one of the fastest RB’s in the league just chillin.   Fans aren’t wild for begging to see him play when neither of the two starters are playing in a way that should cement their spots on Gameday.  

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

IMO this past off-season the moves that could be questioned around the O-line were resigning Mongo and Williams.  But if you let them both walk, could they have signed anyone better for the money they had available.  To me that was the issue this past year was lack of much money to work with.

You could have also not reworked Addison's or Butlers contracts and let them go maybe even not draft Basham in round 2.  But then potentially would be weaker on the D line and that was the biggest area last off season folks here wanted to see improved.  Overall based on last years performance, there were more concerns about the D line than the O line. 

Is still hard to figure out how the same 5 guys look so much worse this year.  May be that Dawkins is still recovering from Covid.  Mongo and Ike look worse than last season, not sure what happened there.  Will be interesting to see how much better they look this week with Brown back and Williams inside.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, No Place To Hyde said:

It really does bud. Good work ethic is great for practice but if it doesn’t lead to production on Sunday your not gonna have a long career.  

Most people agree RB is the easiest position to fill. You see almost every year a good starter goes down and some unknown steps into his place. Mitchell this year, Robinson last. Pollard proved highly valuable when Zeke went down last year. Eckler is another guy that stepped up when Gordon was out. It’s very common. Meanwhile in Buffalo we got two guys who aren’t producing and some are worried about giving another guy an opportunity. Just doesn’t make sense to me

Edited by BananaB

4 hours ago, PolishPrince said:

But yet Singletary has been more productive on less carries....

I don't want to just use your post to make my point I've been wanting to make so take it for what it is worth.

Statistics are a very strange beast.  I will comment on the "Singletary has a better YPC than ........................" statistic.

Devin Singletary to date has a 4.9 YPC stat.

Darek Henry has a 4.3 YPC stat this year with a 4.9 YPC stat for his entire career.

If anyone want to say that Devin Singletary is as good of running back as Darek Henry because of a statistical number you need to

re-evaluate how you watch football.

15 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

IMO this past off-season the moves that could be questioned around the O-line were resigning Mongo and Williams.  But if you let them both walk, could they have signed anyone better for the money they had available.  To me that was the issue this past year was lack of much money to work with.

You could have also not reworked Addison's or Butlers contracts and let them go maybe even not draft Basham in round 2.  But then potentially would be weaker on the D line and that was the biggest area last off season folks here wanted to see improved.  Overall based on last years performance, there were more concerns about the D line than the O line. 

Is still hard to figure out how the same 5 guys look so much worse this year.  May be that Dawkins is still recovering from Covid.  Mongo and Ike look worse than last season, not sure what happened there.  Will be interesting to see how much better they look this week with Brown back and Williams inside.

Totally agree with this.  I do think Covid crippled Dawkins.  Mongo came to camp 20 lbs lighter...surprising the coaches.  As to Ike, it may be a matter of playing next to a weakened Dawkins.

Hopefully we will actually try to run to the outside tomorrow. When was the last time we ran a pitch play or a sweep with lead blockers? Other then Josh Allen’s designed runs, our run plays are so terribly unimaginative. That’s a big of issue as anything. If Dabol is so smart, scheme up some run plays. Handing it up the gut out of empty can be thrown into the trash. The guy has no interest in running the ball. That’s painfully obvious by watching the run play design. Hopefully McDermott got in his ass about it this week and told him to run wether he wants to or not. 

Edited by Brianmoorman4jesus
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PolishPrince said:

I dont disagree with RB's getting in a rhythm. What drives me nuts is there has been several games this year where we ran the ball early and Devin was getting good chunks, then next drive gets subbed out for Zach. Why? I can understand the short yardage plays (which I dont think Moss has been very good at this year), but they will just switch RB's after a drive even if they are doing well, thats dumb IMO.

I think that just as McDermott believes strongly and fundamentally in an DL rotation, he believes strongly and fundamentally in an RB rotation.

Whether that's mistaken or wise, can't tell ya but you asked "why?" and that's what I got.  Source, stuff McDermott has said in interviews over the years.

1 hour ago, PolishPrince said:

I saw a thread about an article where we shouldnt blame Daboll... the fact we had 9 RB runs in a 6-9 game is completely on Daboll and is inexcusable. Especially when Allen was getting hammered all game.

Yeah, I think the idea of that thread was to say "the blame is not ENTIRELY Dabolls" but 1) I really didn't hear anyone here taking that position 2) look, he gets his share.

Call a run or call a pass. How do you expect the OL to block if they don't know if it is a run or a pass? This needs to be communicated in the huddle before the play and it is obvious that Josh is still trying to decide after the ball is hiked. Those RPOs are getting exposed.

3 hours ago, PolishPrince said:

And we’re is McDermott? He can’t call up to Daboll or at half time and say hey let’s run more. It’s like both are so stubborn 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I don't want to just use your post to make my point I've been wanting to make so take it for what it is worth.

Statistics are a very strange beast.  I will comment on the "Singletary has a better YPC than ........................" statistic.

Devin Singletary to date has a 4.9 YPC stat.

Darek Henry has a 4.3 YPC stat this year with a 4.9 YPC stat for his entire career.

If anyone want to say that Devin Singletary is as good of running back as Darek Henry because of a statistical number you need to

re-evaluate how you watch football.

I’m not brain dead I understand ypc isn’t the be all end all. I watch every snap of every game and Singletary imo has overall gotten more consistent yardage and looks better to me. I don’t see speed or explosion for Moss, and he has been stopped pretty constantly on those 3rd/4th and short runs. I know the OLine is a huge reason for that too.

the one thing I’ll give Moss over Singletary is he looks more natural catching the ball 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PolishPrince said:

I’m not brain dead I understand ypc isn’t the be all end all. I watch every snap of every game and Singletary imo has overall gotten more consistent yardage and looks better to me. I don’t see speed or explosion for Moss, and he has been stopped pretty constantly on those 3rd/4th and short runs. I know the OLine is a huge reason for that too.

the one thing I’ll give Moss over Singletary is he looks more natural catching the ball 

Moss is also a better in pass protection , but overall both of them are just average at best 

21 minutes ago, PolishPrince said:

Moss leads the league in broken tackles per rush att (tied with Javonte Williams). He breaks a tackle every 5.9 runs. Singletary breaks a tackle every 24.3 runs.

I know a lot of people don't think much of PFF. For whatever it's worth, they are not too impressed with either of them. They have Moss rated 35th out 64 qualified backs and Singletary 59th.  

39 minutes ago, Putin said:

Moss is also a better in pass protection , but overall both of them are just average at best 

At the end of year last year, Moss was rated as the best pass protecting running back in the NFL. Singletary want bad either. They are definitely not average.

Didn’t know where to put this, so I’ll plop it down right here.

this season has been disappointing. Sad face.  2019 our D was legit and the O was meh.  2020 our offense had us spoiled but our D sucked. Now that our D is top 5, our offense is running into some problems.  Literally.  Our RBs are running into our OL that is getting wrecked. 

I knew our OL sucked and Beane didn’t.  Love the guy, but it really looks like he ****** up this offseason with regards to protecting our football lord and savior 17.

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Didn’t know where to put this, so I’ll plop it down right here.

this season has been disappointing. Sad face.  2019 our D was legit and the O was meh.  2020 our offense had us spoiled but our D sucked. Now that our D is top 5, our offense is running into some problems.  Literally.  Our RBs are running into our OL that is getting wrecked. 

I knew our OL sucked and Beane didn’t.  Love the guy, but it really looks like he ****** up this offseason with regards to protecting our football lord and savior 17.

I don’t think there’s much we could’ve done this particular season…maybe drafting another OL instead of basham. I’m sure he knows more than us about the integrity of the oline lol a lot of guys horribly regressed from just last season…some of it could be Dawkins recovering from Covid 

1 hour ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I don’t think there’s much we could’ve done this particular season…maybe drafting another OL instead of basham. I’m sure he knows more than us about the integrity of the oline lol a lot of guys horribly regressed from just last season…some of it could be Dawkins recovering from Covid 

That's a definite, not a maybe. We'd be in a different place if we had just drafted Humphrey when everyone except Beane wanted to.

Screw all the people who say fans don't know better than the GM or coaches. Sometimes, collectively, we do. Sometimes you (Beane) can get so close to something that you can't see the forest for the trees.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Moss leads the league in broken tackles per rush att (tied with Javonte Williams). He breaks a tackle every 5.9 runs. Singletary breaks a tackle every 24.3 runs.

I know a lot of people don't think much of PFF. For whatever it's worth, they are not too impressed with either of them. They have Moss rated 35th out 64 qualified backs and Singletary 59th.  

59th for Singletary sounds about right. You stick 2 lousy running backs behind our pathetic OL, you're going to be in a world of hurt.  And for those that think SUPERJosh can just run or pass on every down, your delusion is not sustainable. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.