Week 10: Bills at Jets

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Can someone explain to me how Darryl Williams suddenly forgot to play RT? He was solid for us last year. Now, he looks totally lost. It’s very weird. 

I'm sure the Bills FO and coaches agree with you and would similarly, like an explanation.

Williams was solid last season, or they wouldn't have given him the contract they did.  Now he's literally "lost in space" out there at times.

Sometimes players get paid, and lose their edge.  It's not always a big conscious thing, sometimes it's an accumulation of small things.  A big night out on Monday -Tues that lingers with them into practice on Weds, vs. getting treatment, lifting and a personal film session then a fun but dry night that puts them in good mental and physical condition for Weds.  That kind of thing.  They probably feel they're doing enough, but they're actually not doing some of the things that made them successful before.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Some of the responses to this are great:

"Ssoooo you're saying there's a chance?!"

"But the Jets defense will come out and play their best game of the year against us, just like the Jags did."

And that there's the point.  We get everyone's Best Game from now on.

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

You might be right for running style. The oline was atrocious on Sunday. Need to stop moving people all over the place. Williams should stay at guard and give Tommy a shot at RT if Brown can’t go. Ford is a huge liability and he is going to get someone hurt.

I know that you guys don't believe this, but work with me here......The coaches and FO of a team that's been to the playoffs the last two years are not suddenly atrocious and totally inept at player evaluation.

Tommy Doyle has been inactive every game and was not activated to play RT when Brown got hurt *because he's not good enough at this time*.  The coaches are not inexplicably leaving better players on the bench or on the practice squad.

I think you're correct about how Ford played, but if Brown can't go they will put someone else in at G.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Can someone explain to me how Darryl Williams suddenly forgot to play RT? He was solid for us last year. Now, he looks totally lost. It’s very weird. 

He did the same thing in Carolina after having an all pro season and signing a big contract....became a typical lazy fatcat that shows up on Sundays and puts on a uniform but not much else.

We went from "with the Dolphins, Jags, Jets, and Colts up next, the Bills get four extra bye weeks Lolllzzz!" to "I don't know if we can beat the Jets" pretty damned quick.

Football is a fickle game, and football fans are even fickler. Is "fickler" a word? Huh.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Logic said:

We went from "with the Dolphins, Jags, Jets, and Colts up next, the Bills get four extra bye weeks Lolllzzz!" to "I don't know if we can beat the Jets" pretty damned quick.

Football is a fickle game, and football fans are even fickler. Is "fickler" a word? Huh.

I'm going to optimistically say that the Jags game was our Packers-Saints "wtf was that?!" game.

36 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm sure the Bills FO and coaches agree with you and would similarly, like an explanation.

Williams was solid last season, or they wouldn't have given him the contract they did.  Now he's literally "lost in space" out there at times.

Sometimes players get paid, and lose their edge.  It's not always a big conscious thing, sometimes it's an accumulation of small things.  A big night out on Monday -Tues that lingers with them into practice on Weds, vs. getting treatment, lifting and a personal film session then a fun but dry night that puts them in good mental and physical condition for Weds.  That kind of thing.  They probably feel they're doing enough, but they're actually not doing some of the things that made them successful before.

Some of the responses to this are great:

"Ssoooo you're saying there's a chance?!"

"But the Jets defense will come out and play their best game of the year against us, just like the Jags did."

And that there's the point.  We get everyone's Best Game from now on.

I know that you guys don't believe this, but work with me here......The coaches and FO of a team that's been to the playoffs last year are not suddenly atrocious.

Tommy Doyle has been inactive every game and was not activated to play RT when Brown got hurt *because he's not good enough at this time*.  The coaches are not inexplicably leaving better players on the bench or on the practice squad.

I think you're correct about how Ford played, but if Brown can't go they will put someone else in at G.

I never once said anything about the FO or Coaches being atrocious . You are assuming that and putting words in my mouth. I thought this is a board for fans to discuss ideas. It’s fun to discuss scenarios. Sometimes they end up happening. 

32 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I never once said anything about the FO or Coaches being atrocious . You are assuming that and putting words in my mouth. I thought this is a board for fans to discuss ideas. It’s fun to discuss scenarios. Sometimes they end up happening. 

It's implied by this statement of yours: "The oline was atrocious on Sunday. Need to stop moving people all over the place. Williams should stay at guard and give Tommy a shot at RT if Brown can’t go. Ford is a huge liability and he is going to get someone hurt."

You're fundamentally saying the Bills FO and coaches player personnel evaluation is so atrocious that they are leaving a T who is capable of playing sufficiently better than Williams inactive every week (even though they get to see him in practice every week), and failing to see that Williams was playing so solid at guard that they should take that risk at T just to leave him at G.

There's a reason that the Bills left Doyle inactive and risked the turmoil of moving multiple OLmen around, and it's not that your suggestion would be an improvement.

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

All well and good but hasn't he promised that before?

I think at this point there may be a philosophical disconnect between McDermott and Daboll on the importance of cultivating the run game.  I think Daboll plays it lip survice but deep down, doesn't really believe it.  My rationale is that Daboll has repeatedly said something like "everyone wants balance until you have problems doing the one thing, then you better do less of that thing and more of the other". 

I think that's at core, his approach - if we struggle to run, we'll just pass.

I think after certain games, McDermott puts Daboll in a half Nelson and pins him and won't let him up until Daboll says "We will work on running the ball and a balanced offense".  Then it becomes a focus, and for a few games we rush effectively - the first Patriots game last year, the Chargers game last year, the first Dolphins game this season and two games afterwards.

The thing is, if Daboll wants to advance and become a HC, he's got to show he can curate an offense that is more than "The Josh Allen Show" as Chris Simms put it.  Even great QBs who are capable of carrying a team like Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, and Tom Brady play more effectively and their teams go farther when they're supported by a capable rushing attack.

McDermott is a former DC and understands how DC's think and scheme.  Daboll needs to internalize that.

• Like (+1) 3

26 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Wow.  Just listened.  The presser suffers from the usual horror of being unable to hear most of the questions.

Here if anyone wants to give it a listen for themselves.

But this sounds to me like McDermott's firm, not throwing anyone under the bus but not bullgaffling either, version of Matt Rhule's comments about Sam Darnold's picks, where he said we've been having these conversations over and over and the picks are still happening. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.