Week 10: Bills at Jets

YoloinOhio

5 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Just giving an opinion. Isn't that what we do here? Like predicting the acore of a game. I think many times games or team tendencies are somewhat predictable. So fans often have a clue on how the game will go. Maybe you just don't know much about football and don't know team strengths, weaknesses, patterns, and tendencies. Thus, you are clueless. 

Sorry I didn't mean to insult, I just rather find defining a game in the way it goes is somewhat near impossible. Hence betting and Vegas lines. Jets are a good team with Mike White and if we find ourselves losing this game the board and the team will blow up. 

I respect opinions and thoughts, I really meant no disrespect. 

7 minutes ago, Brian3488 said:

Sorry I didn't mean to insult, I just rather find defining a game in the way it goes is somewhat near impossible. Hence betting and Vegas lines. Jets are a good team with Mike White and if we find ourselves losing this game the board and the team will blow up. 

I respect opinions and thoughts, I really meant no disrespect. 

Great post. No hard feelings here. Agree with the board blowing up if the bills lose. I think it would be quite justified though. Championship teams just don't lose back to back games to bottom 5 teams. I disagree that the Jets are a good team with or without White. The Jets are a bad football team. Bad football teams are capable of beating good teams. Just ask the Jags that. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I think the Bills win ugly on Sunday. The defense and special teams lead the way to a 23-13 win. Bills offensive problems continue. Lack of a run game and Allen under duress again. Jets will play lots of cover 2 and Beasley will be captain check down. Allen takes care of the ball and is turnover free. Bills defense gets 3 turnovers and Bass converts 3 field goals.  Not pretty but the win is what counts. I'll take it...

This, I think, is a realistic scenario.  To the Jests the game is important because it’s a divisional opponent and they want to set the tone for the future.  They will play hard.  They have a little “giddy-up” in their step with White at QB.  I just believe that at the end of the day, the Bills are motivated for bigger and better things and are embarrassed by what happened last week.  They have a much better and deeper roster.  And if you want to get the run game going the Jests are a good opponent…they gave up THREE scoring runs of 20+ yards to the Colts last Thursday night.

I’m not predicting any scores…the league is too unpredictable…but I think there is at least a 50-50 chance the Bills cover the spread.

• Like (+1) 2

This is a season defining game and perhaps a career defining game for JA and some coaches. In the NFL, a team that is not capable of running the ball soon allows the defences the ability of shutting you down. 

We have no running game. Spread offenses can be beat easily if you cannot run. 

We even stopped no huddle to help control defences, but even no huddle needs running, right Thurman Thomas!

Just now, Niagara Bill said:

This is a season defining game and perhaps a career defining game for JA and some coaches. In the NFL, a team that is not capable of running the ball soon allows the defences the ability of shutting you down. 

We have no running game. Spread offenses can be beat easily if you cannot run. 

We even stopped no huddle to help control defences, but even no huddle needs running, right Thurman Thomas!

Those 90's Bills teams had a solid OL led by Hull and Singletary and Moss should never be included in the same sentence as HOF Thomas. I remember Kelly even saying Thurman was the heart and soul of their offense. 

35 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Those 90's Bills teams had a solid OL led by Hull and Singletary and Moss should never be included in the same sentence as HOF Thomas. I remember Kelly even saying Thurman was the heart and soul of their offense. 

Not sure if even the Thurmanator could run behind this line. Moss and Singletary evidently had the lowest yards before contact in the league last year and so far this year as well (.22 this year!). Even to the extent that they're missing holes, I can't blame them entirely, since they must get shell shocked back there, much like Allen appears to be at times when the pass protection finally gives him time. It could very well be that Moss and Singletary are actually excellent backs, and that their ok yards-per-carry average is actually extraordinary given how awful the run blocking is, much like Allen's amazing ability to sidestep the rush masks its abysmal pass protection.

We could be looking at the worst offensive line in NFL history, at least the lineup we saw last week. Dawkins and Williams regressing badly, Boettger a clueless, ill-trained backup, and Ford with his 5-11 pressures/game. Only Morse seems to be adequate--and no more than adequate. Put it this way: insert truly average backs and an average QB, and the world would see plainly how bad this line is. 

14 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

If we lose to the Jets it will feel like season over and the heat will really turn up on McDermott and either/or Daboll and Fraser, depending where the game was lost. The thing is even a sloppy win like against the Dolphins won’t feel like enough, it won’t feel as though the wheels have been put back on the track.

Just looking at what happened around the Bucs being blown out by the Saints, they narrowly beat the Giants 25-23 (ignored warning sign) prior to the 38-3, then comfortably overcame the Panthers 46-23 in the following game. That’s the kind of response we need. I know it sounds bad, but I have no faith in the team at the moment that they’ll respond.

I have a ton of faith in the team. Zero faith in the OL and run game. 

16 minutes ago, finn said:

Not sure if even the Thurmanator could run behind this line. Moss and Singletary evidently had the lowest yards before contact in the league last year and so far this year as well (.22 this year!). Even to the extent that they're missing holes, I can't blame them entirely, since they must get shell shocked back there, much like Allen appears to be at times when the pass protection finally gives him time. It could very well be that Moss and Singletary are actually excellent backs, and that their ok yards-per-carry average is actually extraordinary given how awful the run blocking is, much like Allen's amazing ability to sidestep the rush masks its abysmal pass protection.

We could be looking at the worst offensive line in NFL history, at least the lineup we saw last week. Dawkins and Williams regressing badly, Boettger a clueless, ill-trained backup, and Ford with his 5-11 pressures/game. Only Morse seems to be adequate--and no more than adequate. Put it this way: insert truly average backs and an average QB, and the world would see plainly how bad this line is. 

Allen definitely covers up a lot of the OL weaknesses. Could you imagine Kelly with his lack of mobility playing behind this line. He would get killed. I wish we could do something to fix it now but unfortunately that will have to wait until the offseason.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

TT was the soul for sure on O. Darryl Talley on D.

A very very good Oline, but an O that could run and pass.

In 2021 we have become a single phase game out of necessity, easy to game plan against. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

TT was the soul for sure on O. Darryl Talley on D.

A very very good Oline, but an O that could run and pass.

In 2021 we have become a single phase game out of necessity, easy to game plan against. 

Last 7 games the Bills have scored: 35, 43, 40, 38, 34, 26, 6.  Let's hold off on declaring the offense dead.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Allen definitely covers up a lot of the OL weaknesses. Could you imagine Kelly with his lack of mobility playing behind this line. He would get killed. I wish we could do something to fix it now but unfortunately that will have to wait until the offseason.

Kelly, yes, or Brady, Manning, Bledsoe... Any number of immobile quarterbacks. Allen doesn't get enough credit for his escapability. He's like Houdini back there--he has to be. In fact, he might actually do better dodging one charging D-lineman and rolling out with two more running after him. Either way, his excellent play is allowing his blockers get away with it with poor play. I wonder if they've regressed because they had little incentive to do better, or even maintain their mediocre standards. That's not quite fair: Williams and Dawkins played well last year, and Morse has been steady. But I think most observers would agree that all of them except possibly Morse, are playing worse this year. That points to coaching. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Logic said:

Sure is a lot of Gabriel Davis in those highlights. 
Hmmm...

Gabe Davis has been our best run-blocking WR. 

Sanders started the year strong with run blocking but of recent games he has not been getting it done.

3 minutes ago, finn said:

Kelly, yes, or Brady, Manning, Bledsoe... Any number of immobile quarterbacks. Allen doesn't get enough credit for his escapability. He's like Houdini back there--he has to be. In fact, he might actually do better dodging one charging D-lineman and rolling out with two more running after him. Either way, his excellent play is allowing his blockers get away with it with poor play. I wonder if they've regressed because they had little incentive to do better, or even maintain their mediocre standards. That's not quite fair: Williams and Dawkins played well last year, and Morse has been steady. But I think most observers would agree that all of them except possibly Morse, are playing worse this year. That points to coaching. 

Bledsoe would get killed.  Kelly would get killed.

There are quick shots that Josh has been passing up, that Brady or Manning would hit.  IF it's true that Josh is being coached to make his reads deep to shallow, it's not 100% "on Josh" that he's missing or not taking them, but there is a point that it's an intertwined problem - Josh trying to hold onto the ball and wait for the deep shot means he needs to buy time with his legs, but Josh passing up the quick shot in favor of the deep shot means the OL looks worse than it is sometimes.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Trubisky must not be able to be activated yet - Davis Webb elevated again 

Oh CRAP about Zimmer.  I thought he was fantastic in a couple of games.  Terrible break for him, I hope they bring him back.

How did he injure his knee, did anyone say?

As far as activating Gentry and Fromm back to the practice squad, does that mean they have to cut someone to make room?

@YoloinOhio?

Or does elevating Davis Webb and Cam Lewis provide the room they need on the PS?

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Oh CRAP about Zimmer.  I thought he was fantastic in a couple of games.  Terrible break for him, I hope they bring him back.

How did he injure his knee, did anyone say?

As far as activating Gentry and Fromm back to the practice squad, does that mean they have to cut someone to make room?

@YoloinOhio?

Or does elevating Davis Webb and Cam Lewis provide the room they need on the PS?

They (media) think he injured it in practice yesterday because he was out there and now all of a sudden needs surgery… but not sure 

no need to cut anyone from the PS to activate gentry and Fromm. They didn’t fill those spots.
*Edit- they did fill them, I forgot. They are currently at 17 but elevating Webb today keeps them at the max of 16.

they do now have an open PS spot from cam Lewis being signed to the 53

davis Webb is just one of those free weekly PS call ups. However, he is now out of those so can’t be called up anymore without being signed to the 53

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

Last 7 games the Bills have scored: 35, 43, 40, 38, 34, 26, 6.  Let's hold off on declaring the offense dead.

Never suggested dead, but game planning is becoming easier against us and will continue until we can run. Play action is dead, long passing game is gone due to blitzing etc. Dec is coming, ball on the ground is an important balance. 

So let's just consider reality and concern about an offense that is looking less dynamic the last few weeks. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.