Brett Favre talks with Trent Dilfer about his closest comp .. Josh Allen.

CorkScrewHill

Like him Josh tries to run over people, raw, winner.

Referenced Daboll was his QB coach at the Jets would want Josh to stop trying to run over people. Feels other than height, Josh is a bit more polished and more careful with turnovers. Closest to old school .. wins games whatever is called for.

If want to watch the interview starts at 42:30 goes to 45:50. having been around back in the Favre days .. I can definitely see it..

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 11

15 minutes ago, Doc said:

High praise.  But hopefully Josh is a little more careful with the ball (and doesn't have the substance abuse issues).  

Favre said it.   He said these guys today take better care of the ball than they did in his era.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It seems like Favre has only seen highlights of Josh & isn't at all familiar with his 2020 season. He says "He's raw" & "He isn't putting up crazy numbers, yet". Neither of those are remotely true, it's like he's talking about Josh after his 2019 season.

Josh 2020- 4,544 yards & 45 total TD. 10 INTs

Favre's best statistical season (1996)- 4,413 yards & 40 total TDs. 13 INTs

Edited by 947
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

I think that Josh is already a better QB than Favre

I don't want to be heretical, but my opinion - or at least, that Josh is a better QB than Favre was until some time into his career.

The modern NFL just can not tolerate a guy throwing more INTs than TDs, or throwing more than 1 INT per game.

Favre was/is a complete rock head. Josh is so much more intelligent that Favre. It allows him to run a much more complex offense. Favre constantly rifled balls into tight coverage, whereas Josh consistently reads the defense and finds the open player. 

The only comparisons I see between these two is their competitiveness and physical ability sling the ball. 

Favre averaged ~27 TDs and ~18 picks a season (1.5 ratio) over 19 seasons where he was the starter.

Josh averages ~22 TDs and ~10 picks a season (2.2 ratio) over just 3 seasons as a starter (and he's only just hit his stride).

Granted the league was less passing oriented in Favre's day but I think Elway is a better comparison.

• Like (+1) 1

Favre is in my top 3 favorite players of all time. He was reckless for sure but so much fun to watch, just like a kid out there having fun. In that sense he's always reminded me of Allen (or Allen has always reminded me of him).

Those playoff games at Lambeau field with Favre playing, snow on the ground, that was such a great time

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

39 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

Favre is in my top 3 favorite players of all time. He was reckless for sure but so much fun to watch, just like a kid out there having fun. In that sense he's always reminded me of Allen (or Allen has always reminded me of him).

Those playoff games at Lambeau field with Favre playing, snow on the ground, that was such a great time

Back in the 90’s I got to see so many amazing QBs live at Rich Stadium.

Favre, Young, Moon and Marino all stick out in my memory. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Personally, I’d prefer for Josh to NOT be compared to Favre

Frankly, Josh Allen is smarter than Brett Favre, and it's not close.  I think Josh loves Brian Daboll's scheme and committed to playing within it.  As he matures, he is playing with more and more discipline.  Favre had amazing arm talent, but never played with great discipline.  I think intelligence and the trend toward disciplined play within a system that caters to Allen's talent give Josh Allen a higher ceiling than Favre.  

4 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

Frankly, Josh Allen is smarter than Brett Favre, and it's not close.  I think Josh loves Brian Daboll's scheme and committed to playing within it.  As he matures, he is playing with more and more discipline.  Favre had amazing arm talent, but never played with great discipline.  I think intelligence and the trend toward disciplined play within a system that caters to Allen's talent give Josh Allen a higher ceiling than Favre.  

We're also talking about a player who has multiple times lateraled the ball well beyond the line of scrimmage to teammates who didn't even know it was coming.  And I love him for it!

11 minutes ago, dneveu said:

We're also talking about a player who has multiple times lateraled the ball well beyond the line of scrimmage to teammates who didn't even know it was coming.  And I love him for it!

Yeah, Josh can and will ad lib when a play doesn't happen according to plan, but he'll stick to the plan when it's working.

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

From his first game, I always thought Josh had Favre-like qualities - even the recklessness. The big difference is that Josh tempered his recklessness, where Favre didn't.

Josh's first game = The Minnesota Leap -> yeah, that was very Farve-like.

And I do think Josh has the potential to pass him on the "Greatest QB" of all-time line up.

1 hour ago, 947 said:

It seems like Favre has only seen highlights of Josh & isn't at all familiar with his 2020 season. He says "He's raw" & "He isn't putting up crazy numbers, yet". Neither of those are remotely true, it's like he's talking about Josh after his 2019 season.

Josh 2020- 4,544 yards & 45 total TD. 10 INTs

Favre's best statistical season (1996)- 4,413 yards & 40 total TDs. 13 INTs

Having a brain was never Favre’s strong suit. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Haha (+1) 3

2 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

Can't wait to watch some playoff games like that in Buffalo with fans packed in the stands going forward.  It's going to be a blast.  I can just picture Allen launching some snowballs at teammates on the sidelines lol

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Yeah, not sure why he said he isn't putting up crazy numbers.  He did say that last year at this time he would have said his comp is Mahomes so he must have seen the stats Josh put up.

Stats are crazy for QBs for they can barely be touched without a penalty even if QB causes issue (Chicago game) and zebras will "let them play" as opposed to games when WRs were regularly mugged and holding was called on Offense linemen.

Don't forget when Zebras made up rule to protect Br*dy.

37 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Stats are crazy for QBs for they can barely be touched without a penalty even if QB causes issue (Chicago game) and zebras will "let them play" as opposed to games when WRs were regularly mugged and holding was called on Offense linemen.

Don't forget when Zebras made up rule to protect Br*dy.

No argument.  Just commenting on Favre saying Josh didn't put up crazy stats when he wouldn't have even mentioned him if not for last year and Josh's crazy stats.