Cam Newton Released

gonzo1105

Now that Mac will be starting for the Pats*, I think the Bills will sweep them.

McDermott's defenses historically have feasted on rookie QBs.

In fact, compared to last season, the entire slate of quarterbacks the Bills face this year is not all that imposing. Mahomes, Brady, Tannehil, MAYBE Matt Ryan. Those are the good ones. Beyond that? Whole bunch of rookies and nobodies. While I don't have the specific numbers in front of me, I do know that McDermott's record as a head coach against average to bad quarterbacks is quite good.

Edited by Logic

21 minutes ago, Mango said:

Lets get one thing out of the way, Beasley is a better WR at this stage of his career than Cam is a QB. 

BUT...they have very similar cap hits if they were to be cut. Maybe don't be shocked if Beasley is cut given McKenzies new vaccination and Stevenson in pre-season? 

(although I would not put money on it)

Both Cam and Beas had to miss practice time too because of that, however Beas's wasn't really his fault while I'm pretty sure Cam messed up protocols. If Cam has already caused himself to be unavailable then that is a very strong reason for him to get the axe.

• Like (+1) 1

My gut tells me to fear everything the Patriots are doing.  I certainly have some sort of PTSD from watching the 'match-up' from 2001-2019.

The fact of the matter is that Mac Jones isnt someone I really fear, and starting him with no safety net in year 1 sounds like inviting disaster.  If this were the Jets or Dolphins, we would be laughing at them.  

I rated (which means nothing) Jones pretty low.  I mean he came from an absolutely dominant program who had like 7 players selected in the 1st round of the NFL draft.  He doesn't have any high-end traits.  I mean, they have a pretty good team around him, but when are people going to stop fearing/expecting that Bill Belichick is capable of molding the next Tom Brady?   

I really put zero stock in preseason either.  It is a different world than a full speed NFL game with actual stakes.  I rememeber thinking Jeff Tuel looked like Tom Brady after a preseason game years ago.

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, May Day 10 said:

My gut tells me to fear everything the Patriots are doing.

The fact of the matter is that Mac Jones isnt someone I really fear, and starting him with no safety net in year 1 sounds like inviting disaster.  If this were the Jets or Dolphins, we would be laughing at them.  

I rated (which means nothing) Jones pretty low.  I mean he came from an absolutely dominant program who had like 7 players selected in the 1st round of the NFL draft.  He doesn't have any high-end traits.  I mean, they have a pretty good team around him, but when are people going to stop fearing/expecting that Bill Belichick is capable of molding the next Tom Brady?   

First there will not be another Brady.  Second Everyone has stated Jones came with the lowest ceiling and highest floor. Meaning everyone expects thin be at least ok to Average, while there is an outside chance he could be great. 

Also remember he made Jimmy G look like a franchise QB, and Brissett as an average QB.. let’s not speak of the man he made look amazing the year Brady went down. 

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Now that Mac will be starting for the Pats*, I think the Bills will sweep them.

McDermott's defenses historically have feasted on rookie QBs.

In fact, compared to last season, the entire slate of quarterbacks the Bills face this year is not all that imposing. Mahomes, Brady, Tannehil, MAYBE Matt Ryan. Those are the good ones. Beyond that? Whole bunch of rookies and nobodies. While I don't have the specific numbers in front of me, I do know that McDermott's record as a head coach against average to bad quarterbacks is quite good.

Roethlisberger (Week 1 before his arm dies) is the only other who had anything resembling real sustained success in the league. 

Otherwise: Fitzpatrick, Winston, Taylor, Z. Wilson (x2), Wentz (?), Lawrence, Tua (x2), Mac (x2)

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

My gut tells me to fear everything the Patriots are doing.

Fear Brady, respect the Pats.  Jones gives them the ability to play a similar offense as Bradys.  Outside at Wr they have a bunch of 3rd and 4ths.  Tes are both 3 and 4th options on their previous teams.  The offense will be more efficent but average at best.  I dont think they have the ability to score more points then the Bills.  

46 minutes ago, wjag said:

Could this be a vested veteran move?  Be just like Belichick to cut him, have all the NFL buzzing and then re-sign him and start him week 1.  The man is an evil genius. 

Most likely not because with his signing bonus and contract this move costs the Pats between 3-4 million in cap space.  You typically want to use a guy on a 1 year contract with little guaranteed money.

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

This is simply not true.  In his last 5 appearances against rookie QB's, he's won all 5.  

I think he's only lost once by a rookie since being a HC and that was against Darnold in 2018.

Yeah, I'm not suggesting he doesn't usually ultimately win the game, but he hasn't chewed them up and spit them out like some defensive gurus have a reputation for doing to rookie QBs.

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Agree, but unless I've missed it, I have not seen him throwing ropes on deep outs outside the numbers. Good QBs can do that, and it really opens up an offense. Don't get me wrong; NE's run game is probably going to be elite so they're going to be a tough out.

That's not what he will be asked to do and it's not the patriots offense. And you missed the throw he made to Harry on a 3rd and long plus Brady made a career out of doing the opposite here.

Edited by Ghost_002!

Hopefully this clown is out of the league for good.  No team would want him as a mentor to a young QB, and I don’t think he is taking a $1-2mil contract to chase a ring as a backup QB.  IMO...I’m not even sure a ring is that important to him.  Goodbye and good riddance. 

4 minutes ago, Ghost_002! said:

That's not what he will be asked to do and it's not the patriots offense. And you missed the throw he made to Harry on a 3rd and long plus Brady made a career out of doing the opposite here.

As @PatsFanNH mentioned up thread there is not another Brady so....  It being not in the offense is the point.  Teams wont have to guard against it and can throw more peeps in the middle to stop those throws.  Thats where he seems to be doing damage in the preseason.  It might not be the first half of the season but it will get taken away eventually.  Thats when well see if Mac will be any good.

3 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Yeah, I'm not suggesting he doesn't usually ultimately win the game, but he hasn't chewed them up and spit them out like some defensive gurus have a reputation for doing to rookie QBs.

Do you not remember Tua last year in a must win game completely crap the bed against the Bills back ups?

In 2019, we faced two rookie QB's they scored 10 and 3 against us.

So basically in the last 5 starts against rookie QB's....here's how much they scored.

• 26 but with a ton of garbage time points from the Dolphins since we scored 56.
  • 17 against the Chargers.
  • 10 against the Steelers
  • 3 against the Broncos
  • 9 against the Redskins 

What else can McDermott do?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Belichick plans to run the ball against the Bills and insert a lot of play action passes. Keep the game simple for the rookie. IMO 

He built his offense to do exactly what Buffalo is not strong defending. A versatile run game, and passing to TEs. He brought in two above average TEs, and Buffalo was abysmal covering TEs last year. Expect a lot of 2 TE sets with a lot of RB motion to take advantage of the Bills defensive weaknesses.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ThurmanThomasEnglishMuffin said:

He built his offense to do exactly what Buffalo is not strong defending. A versatile run game, and passing to TEs. He brought in two above average TEs, and Buffalo was abysmal covering TEs last year. Expect a lot of 2 TE sets with a lot of RB motion to take advantage of the Bills defensive weaknesses.

Prior to last year we had been very good at covering TEs.  We have also given more headaches to the best run offense in the league (Ravens) than any one else.  I think Pats will be too one dimensional for their run game to be effective.

1 minute ago, YattaOkasan said:

As @PatsFanNH mentioned up thread there is not another Brady so....  It being not in the offense is the point.  Teams wont have to guard against it and can throw more peeps in the middle to stop those throws.  Thats where he seems to be doing damage in the preseason.  It might not be the first half of the season but it will get taken away eventually.  Thats when well see if Mac will be any good.

Let’s not forget we saw him mostly with the 2nd and 3rd string WR and TE. (He got very little times with the 1st string) He also suffered from a lot of drops on long throws and short alike, for example Gunner dropped a pass that ANY of the WR in Alabama would have caught last year and brought to the house… Gunner is not a starter.. lol (so in other words we really don’t know what he can do with the 1st string talent)

1 minute ago, ThurmanThomasEnglishMuffin said:

This is what a lot of teams are going to do to the Bills and Frazier's defense this  year until they prove they can stop it.....run the ball up the middle and hit us with the dink and dunk passing game to run clock and keep Allen off the field.

This is why I worry about the Steelers game in particular because it's opening day and that's going to be their MO this year as well assuming they can run the ball effectively again like years past.

Also why I still think DT is still a sneaky need and there's way too much misplaced faith in Star L. having any real impact on the run defense.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Roethlisberger (Week 1 before his arm dies) is the only other who had anything resembling real sustained success in the league. 

Otherwise: Fitzpatrick, Winston, Taylor, Z. Wilson (x2), Wentz (?), Lawrence, Tua (x2), Mac (x2)

Fitzpatrick can beat this defense on any given Sunday. I was in the stadium when his Dolphins offense tore the Bills defense up in 2019.

Those other 10 games, though? Well....Not one of those guys scare me.

I'm freaked about about Mac.  Anything less than the Patriots going through a 2-decade search for a Brady replacement is unacceptable to me.  My worst fear is a Montana/Young situation.

But, I was also freaked out about Garropolo and Stidham.  So, there's that.

There are definitely a ton of guys who looked amazing in the preseason against vanilla, 2nd string D's, then folded when it was a real game.  Here's hoping Jones is one of those.  

1 minute ago, PatsFanNH said:

Let’s not forget we saw him mostly with the 2nd and 3rd string WR and TE. (He got very little times with the 1st string) He also suffered from a lot of drops on long throws and short alike, for example Gunner dropped a pass that ANY of the WR in Alabama would have caught last year and brought to the house… Gunner is not a starter.. lol (so in other words we really don’t know what he can do with the 1st string talent)

Wasnt he also playing against backup, vanilla preseason defenses? 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, PatsFanNH said:

I mean, he was mostly playing against 2nd & 3rd string, no? 

9 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

That is the problem people continue to think brady brady brady....they are not looking to replicated Brady success their philosophy has always been this way. They draft with this offense in mind, they look for a certain receiver to run routes a certain way,  it all goes as one. They aren't doing this because it worked for Brady. THis is how they like to play and hence why they go out and grab up two TEs. They aren't an offense that wants to rely heavily on receiver's. 

8 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Stidham will be the backup when healthy. He is the better option than Hoyer

I doubt that is the outcome, BB is not high on Stidham in anyway and there hasn't been any discuss about Stidham since his injury. 

Edited by Ghost_002!

1 hour ago, PatsFanNH said:

This is still The Bills division. Jones will take his lumps this year and  I am excited for the year.. 

Don’t know your age Pats Fan, but every fanbase should at least taste QB purgatory for several years in order to really appreciate when you’ve got something special going—you’re due for the former, is all I’m saying. ;)

1 minute ago, PatsFanNH said:

Sure and honestly I think his game so far has translated to the NFL about as well as can be expected.  However I still see a huge windup to get the ball to the middle of the field.  Processing seems to the be key to me.  If he can be elite in that space he has a chance to be a good QB.  Unfortunately you dont really get a good test of that in the preseason.

1 minute ago, Ghost_002! said:

That is the problem people continue to think brady brady brady....they are not looking to replicated Brady success their philosophy has always been this way. They draft with this offense in mind, they look for a certain receiver to run routes a certain way,  it all goes as ones. They aren't doing this because it worked for Brady. THis is how they like to play and hence why they go out and grab up two TEs. They aren't an offense that wants to rely on the heavy on receiver's. 

Sure. You were the one who mentioned Brady so I thought I would sort out the part about Brady being special.  Yes youre right this is their offense; however, you also don't see many high octane running offenses.  The exception is Lamar who does similar things in the passing game (albeit in a less accurate way), but without his speed I dont know that yall will generate enough points.