Cam Newton Released

gonzo1105

6 minutes ago, Success said:

I'm freaked about about Mac.  Anything less than the Patriots going through a 2-decade search for a Brady replacement is unacceptable to me.  My worst fear is a Montana/Young situation.

But, I was also freaked out about Garropolo and Stidham.  So, there's that.

There are definitely a ton of guys who looked amazing in the preseason against vanilla, 2nd string D's, then folded when it was a real game.  Here's hoping Jones is one of those.  

McKorkle is way better than Cam, but he’s also the worst QB in the division as of now IMO.  Doesn’t mean he won’t be successful but that’s where I’ll rank him today.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Success said:

I mean, he was mostly playing against 2nd & 3rd string, no? 

The Eagles yes, I BELIEVE the Giants played their starters for the entire 1st half, the Pats had the backups in. I also missed the first preseason game so I don’t know about Washington.  He looked good against the Giants 1s leading to a FG, which as I pointed out if they had one of his Alabama WR would been a TD withGunner drop. 

2 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

The Eagles yes, I BELIEVE the Giants played their starters for the entire 1st half, the Pats had the backups in. I also missed the first preseason game so I don’t know about Washington.  He looked good against the Giants 1s leading to a FG, which as I pointed out if they had one of his Alabama WR would been a TD withGunner drop. 

That's an extremely small sample size.  And even if it was 1st string, they're still playing vanilla D.

Not that Mac might not turn out to be good - but man, did we ever hear the same about Stidham. And even Cam when the Pats got him.

Let's see how it goes when they crank up the lights and he faces a real pass rush, and has Agholor as his #1 target.

5 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Giants starters are equivalent to most teams backups 

4 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Sure and honestly I think his game so far has translated to the NFL about as well as can be expected.  However I still see a huge windup to get the ball to the middle of the field.  Processing seems to the be key to me.  If he can be elite in that space he has a chance to be a good QB.  Unfortunately you dont really get a good test of that in the preseason.

Sure. You were the one who mentioned Brady so I thought I would sort out the part about Brady being special.  Yes youre right this is their offense; however, you also don't see many high octane running offenses.  The exception is Lamar who does similar things in the passing game (albeit in a less accurate way), but without his speed I dont know that yall will generate enough points.

I think Mac a better Passer than Lamar was especially as a rookie, I also believe the Pats O line is better than the Ravens. I think  you will see a lot more play action passing

Also if you play Fantasy I would pick up Jacoby Meyers as I now see him going for 1200 yards and 5 TDs.

27 minutes ago, Ghost_002! said:

That's not what he will be asked to do and it's not the patriots offense. And you missed the throw he made to Harry on a 3rd and long plus Brady made a career out of doing the opposite here.

I get that, but Brady could--and still can--make those throws and do it well. If all you have to do is defend the middle of the field, the flats, and bombs, it makes it a lot easier for a defense. I am not saying Jones can't make those throws; just that I haven't seen them. Everything has been short stuff, mid-range stuff between the numbers, and the occasional deep loft.

3 minutes ago, Success said:

That's an extremely small sample size.  And even if it was 1st string, they're still playing vanilla D.

Not that Mac might not turn out to be good - but man, did we ever hear the same about Stidham. And even Cam when the Pats got him.

Let's see how it goes when they crank up the lights and he faces a real pass rush, and has Agholor as his #1 target.

I still wish we had just played Stidham last year. What’s the worse that happens? We get the first overall pick lol.  

Also Cam fell off a cliff after he got Covid, he looked good the first few weeks.

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Giants starters are equivalent to most teams backups 

Isn’t there D pretty good though?

1 minute ago, PatsFanNH said:

I think Mac a better Passer than Lamar was especially as a rookie, I also believe the Pats O line is better than the Ravens. I think  you will see a lot more play action passing

Also if you play Fantasy I would pick up Jacoby Meyers as I now see him going for 1200 yards and 5 TDs.

Agree Mac is a better passer.  Was really trying to say they attack similar parts of the field (Middle and TEs).  Lamar had a better line his first few years than Mac's this year.  Probably a bit of a toss up right now which is better, but I can get on board with Pats OL > Ravens OL.  I like Meyers don't know if I see that coming.

1 minute ago, PatsFanNH said:

Isn’t there D pretty good though?

Their offense is much better imo.  They have a lot of weapons but a poor QB.

19 minutes ago, Logic said:

Fitzpatrick can beat this defense on any given Sunday. I was in the stadium when his Dolphins offense tore the Bills defense up in 2019.

Those other 10 games, though? Well....Not one of those guys scare me.

Agreed and not just Fitzpatrick. I like McLaurin and Samuel, plus the WFT defense is stout. They gave TB a game.

18 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Sure. You were the one who mentioned Brady so I thought I would sort out the part about Brady being special.  Yes youre right this is their offense; however, you also don't see many high octane running offenses.  The exception is Lamar who does similar things in the passing game (albeit in a less accurate way), but without his speed I dont know that yall will generate enough points.

Yes you are right, i don't think they are going to be run, run all the time, hence the two TEs and Cam being release. BB is no way trying to run the same type of offense they did last year. They want their QBs to make throws; back shoulders, outs to backs, the strikes down the middle, alot of timing routes (especially those. Those do not get their immobile QBs killed)  similar to how they ran with Brady. Yea by no means do I think the patriots are trying to replicate what they did or what they had with Brady, No that is gone, that was a once in a lifetime phase. This is just about being competitive again.  

Edited by Ghost_002!

Really surprised they straight up released Newton.  Wow... 

Guess we won't need to wait to see who Jones is.  What I find puzzling is that they only have Hoyer behind him.

2 minutes ago, Ghost_002! said:

Yes you are right, i don't think they are going to be run, run all the time, hence the two TEs and Cam being release. BB is no way trying to run the same type of offense they did last year. They want their QBs to make throws; back shoulders, outs to backs, the strikes down the middle, similar to how they ran with Brady. Yea by no means do I think the patriots are trying to replicate what they did or what they had with Brady, No that is gone, that was a once in a lifetime phase. This is just about being competitive again.  

Dunno, I saw Jones move and throw like Brady from a dirty pocket.... Not fair

28 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

This is what a lot of teams are going to do to the Bills and Frazier's defense this  year until they prove they can stop it.....run the ball up the middle and hit us with the dink and dunk passing game to run clock and keep Allen off the field.

This is why I worry about the Steelers game in particular because it's opening day and that's going to be their MO this year as well assuming they can run the ball effectively again like years past.

Also why I still think DT is still a sneaky need and there's way too much misplaced faith in Star L. having any real impact on the run defense.

It's the exact script Bill B and Bill Parcells used against Buffalo in Super Bowl 25

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Agreed and not just Fitzpatrick. I like McLaurin and Samuel, plus the WFT defense is stout. They gave TB a game.

One thing to remember 99% of the time division games are tough. So losing one is not a shock and happens.  I mean the Pats constantly lost to Miami in Miami with Brady.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Do you not remember Tua last year in a must win game completely crap the bed against the Bills back ups?

In 2019, we faced two rookie QB's they scored 10 and 3 against us.

So basically in the last 5 starts against rookie QB's....here's how much they scored.

• 26 but with a ton of garbage time points from the Dolphins since we scored 56.
  • 17 against the Chargers.
  • 10 against the Steelers
  • 3 against the Broncos
  • 9 against the Redskins 

What else can McDermott do?

Nothing.

Also, don’t bring facts to the table, it ruins bad arguments. 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Logic said:

Fitzpatrick can beat this defense on any given Sunday. I was in the stadium when his Dolphins offense tore the Bills defense up in 2019.

Those other 10 games, though? Well....Not one of those guys scare me.

Tore them up and... still lost 31-21?

Teams will put up yards on us. The key though is how many points they actually end up with. Good luck keeping up with the Bills Offense.

19 minutes ago, P Riv said:

Really surprised they straight up released Newton.  Wow... 

Guess we won't need to wait to see who Jones is.  What I find puzzling is that they only have Hoyer behind him.

Dunno, I saw Jones move and throw like Brady from a dirty pocket.... Not fair

They reported that the 3 reasons Cam was released was

1. COVID

2. Jones out played him

and 3. he(CAM) did not really impressed them all that much

and geez, if he could be half of Brady i would love that....their receivers (or lack of..) worry me, and i don't see BB really putting an effort into upgrading, or even knowing how to do that. 

Edited by Ghost_002!

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

You don't have to read the thread. There are others.

Thanks Dave. I guess another six pages reiterating all previous comments are worth the read. Maybe you can opine on whether Cam left Mac one of his hats. 

3 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

One thing to remember 99% of the time division games are tough. So losing one is not a shock and happens.  I mean the Pats constantly lost to Miami in Miami with Brady.

I wonder what percentage of division games against rookie or 2nd year QBs are tough 

37 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

McKorkle is way better than Cam, but he’s also the worst QB in the division as of now IMO.  Doesn’t mean he won’t be successful but that’s where I’ll rank him today.

If Mac is healthy he will outperform the kid on the Jets, and it won't be even a tad close.

Of course, this is jmo.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not going to read through pages and pages of comments about how bad Cam is.  But has anyone considered that since he doesn't have to go through waivers, that this is simply a way for the Pats to get another player through the cutdown and onto the 53, so he can be IR'd and then bring Cam back?

54 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Do you not remember Tua last year in a must win game completely crap the bed against the Bills back ups?

So basically in the last 5 starts against rookie QB's....here's how much they scored.

• 26 but with a ton of garbage time points from the Dolphins since we scored 56.
  • 3 against the Broncos
  • 9 against the Redskins 

Dude comes up with some weird *****. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

He’s terrible. This sucks!

He’s BEEN terrible. Someone just forgot to tell him.

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He’s an egotistical POS. He was washed up in Carolina and nobody gave him a call until very late when Bill said ‘screw the Vet Minimum, here’s a mil. Take it or leave it. Hope we never see him again.

2 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

Cam has been thoroughly washed up for 2+ years.  I'm surprised the Pats gave him as much rope as they did.  This is definitely the right move for them, and I'm sure Cam will find at least one more team willing to kick the tires on him before he bows out of the league.

I agree with the 1st part, not so sure he’ll get another shot. No team wants that kind of ego coming to their team -and his play can’t back it up.

9 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I wonder what percentage of division games against rookie or 2nd year QBs are tough 

I bet that depends on the rookie. Like Marino would be tough, while Ryan Leaf was an easy W. Lmao Also depends when you are facing them, for example early in the year be earlier to confuse than later in the year. (Unless it’s a Ryan leaf type situation lol)

27 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I get that, but Brady could--and still can--make those throws and do it well. If all you have to do is defend the middle of the field, the flats, and bombs, it makes it a lot easier for a defense. I am not saying Jones can't make those throws; just that I haven't seen them. Everything has been short stuff, mid-range stuff between the numbers, and the occasional deep loft.

I get that, but he is just now starting his career and i found out that some coaches, when they do these preseasons games, they get together and talk what they want each other's team to work on. So at least for the most part that was not what their focus for Jones was on top of the fact Agholor didn't give them the opportunity to make that throw. They did have a 3rd and long to Harry that Harry messed up.  

a lot of timing routes and just this past game with the Giants...i can't remember if it was Joe Judge or BB, but one of them asked the other to have their team blitz a lot so they could see how their QB handles it. 

3 minutes ago, Utah John said:

I'm not going to read through pages and pages of comments about how bad Cam is.  But has anyone considered that since he doesn't have to go through waivers, that this is simply a way for the Pats to get another player through the cutdown and onto the 53, so he can be IR'd and then bring Cam back?

No that is not why they did it, it's nothing to do with circumventing the system. They want to go with the rookie (among other things) and Cam was not going to be the backup. 

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

• 3 against the Broncos
  • 9 against the Redskins 

Never let facts get in the way of a good crusade!

It's crazy the amount of people assuming Mac Jones will be a good QB. Over 50% of 1st round QBs are busts. Of course Jones has a chance but it's far from certain. I actually would prefer to face Jones than Newton because he offers no running ability which I believe would have been lethal in the Patriots offense this year. Defending them is going to be about crowding the middle of the field, stack the box, try to fool the rookie QB with exotic blitzes. No easy wins in the NFL but nothing about them makes me think they are a playoff team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Disney Channel Zach looks great 

Even if he is fairly good, Mac is a better player on a better team. Let me take it a step further.....

If Alabama and OSU switched QBs in the title game, I think that OSU would have won. Waddle was crippled and Davonta sat out the second half. This is  Not, repeat NOT a knock against OSU. No, it is a compliment to their excellent team and specifcally their receivers. In the 2021 draft, I expect Mac to be second only to Trevor Lawrence.  Again, jmo. Skip and Shannon did a great piece on the situation today. Shannon talked about how hard Mac works, and other reasons for the cut.

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

• 3 against the Broncos
  • 9 against the Redskins 

Dolphins 26 vs. Bills 56

January 3rd, 2021

Tua Tagovailoa

35/58 (60%)

361 Yards

1 TD

3 INT

1 Sk

62.5 Rating

Chargers 17 vs. Bills 27

November 29th, 2020

Justin Herbert

31/52 (60%)

316 Yards

1 TD

1 INT 

3 Sk

75.5 Rating

Bills 17 vs. Steelers 10 

December 15th, 2019

Devlin Hodges

23/38 (61%) 

202 Yards 

1 TD

4 INT

4 Sk

43.9 Rating 

Broncos 3 vs. Bills 20

November 24th, 2019 

Brandon Allen

10/25 (40%)

82 Yards 

0 TD

1 INT

4 Sk

32.4 Rating

Jets 27 vs. Bills 23 

December 9th, 2018

Sam Darnold 

16/22 (73%)

170 Yards

1 TD

1 INT 

0 Sk

83.7 Rating

Rookie QBs against McDermott in Buffalo…

1-4 

59% Completion 

226.2 Y/G

4 TDs

10 INT

12 Sk

59.6 Rating 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, Ghost_002! said:

They reported that the 3 reasons Cam was released was

1. COVID

2. Jones out played him

and 3. he(CAM) did not really impressed them all that much

and geez, if he could be half of Brady i would love that....their receivers (or lack of..) worry me, and i don't see BB really putting an effort into upgrading, or even knowing how to do that. 

I think he's half of Brady, looked like it in the pre-season.  He threw well under duress, threw accurately and ON TIME.  That impressed me a lot.  Just watched this: FIRST TAKE | Adam Schefter "BREAKING" Patriots release QB Cam Newton; Mac Jones will start at QB - YouTube

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Tore them up and... still lost 31-21?

Teams will put up yards on us. The key though is how many points they actually end up with. Good luck keeping up with the Bills Offense.

Early in the 4th quarter last year of week 2 I realized we were playing Fitzmagic.  When Josh out dueled him I knew it was gonna be a special year.  So Fitz was pretty good last year (granted all the caveats about our defense).

3 hours ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

They must have a lot of confidence in Mac.

Well Cam missing a game last year due to Covid  and this preseason as well and not wanting to get vaccinated maybe had something to do with it ?