Cam Newton Released

gonzo1105

41 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

I'm suprised they weren't able to trade him for a late round pick. He would still be a solid backup.

Too much baggage and too late in the season for a guy that looks done and likely wouldn't embrace the backup role. 

18 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

It's a good thought, but historically McD has not been particularly great against rookie QBs

This is simply not true.  In his last 5 appearances against rookie QB's, he's won all 5.  

I think he's only lost once by a rookie since being a HC and that was against Darnold in 2018.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

This is simply not true.  In his last 5 appearances against rookie QB's, he's won all 5.  

I think he's only lost once by a rookie since being a HC and that was against Darnold in 2018.

Yeah I asked him to name which ones and kinda had a feeling I would not get a response lol. 

• Haha (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

I'm suprised they weren't able to trade him for a late round pick. He would still be a solid backup.

I have a feeling he was cut because he didn’t want to be a backup.  He has always said he was not worse than 32 other QBs in the NFL.

11 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Good.  I'm not big on jones.  Better thrower but cams legs scared me more than his arm.  We suck when QBs leave the pocket...no fear of that with jones. 

This is still The Bills division. Jones will take his lumps this year and  I am excited for the year.. 

57 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

Cam will never back up another QB on purpose. Too big of an ego for that.

• Like (+1) 1

Could this be a vested veteran move?  Be just like Belichick to cut him, have all the NFL buzzing and then re-sign him and start him week 1.  The man is an evil genius. 

Edited by wjag

10 minutes ago, wjag said:

This makes NE rather conventional.  Pocket passer with two good TEs and a fleet of running backs to run or catch swing passes.  

It is the typical Pats Offense, with a rookie QB for the first time since…. Bledsoe.  The pats I still expect to win 10-12 games mostly because of the D.  

oh most importantly, the Pats should have a top end O line.

Edited by PatsFanNH
  • Disagree 1

I've been really impressed by Mac Jones play this preseason.

Delivers the ball quickly and on time and what's impressed me the most is his arm strength looks good on those 10-15 yard crosses.

Cam Newton looked awful. I actually think the Patriots are very firmly more of a threat to the Bills than the Dolphins and it wouldn't shock me if the Dolphins actually finish last in the AFCE. I think Wilson will look much better this year than people are prepared for, and will outshine Tua by leaps and bounds.

• Agree 1

The Pats*** are going to be a handful, and painful to play and watch.  They’ll be the 2nd best team in the division, not Miami.  I still think Buffalo beats them because of Josh, but the games will likely be ugly.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, Estro said:

I've been really impressed by Mac Jones play this preseason.

Delivers the ball quickly and on time and what's impressed me the most is his arm strength looks good on those 10-15 yard crosses.

Cam Newton looked awful. I actually think the Patriots are very firmly more of a threat to the Bills than the Dolphins and it wouldn't shock me if the Dolphins actually finish last in the AFCE. I think Wilson will look much better this year than people are prepared for, and will outshine Tua by leaps and bounds.

Agree, but unless I've missed it, I have not seen him throwing ropes on deep outs outside the numbers. Good QBs can do that, and it really opens up an offense. Don't get me wrong; NE's run game is probably going to be elite so they're going to be a tough out.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PatsFanNH said:

It is the typical Pats Offense, with a rookie QB for the first time since…. Bledsoe.  The pats I still expect to win 10-12 games mostly because of the D.  

oh most importantly, the Pats should have a top end O line.

There is no doubt they are going to be a top 10 D.  Lots of smash mouth football coming. We still haven’t seen the new TEs yet in the offense. NE has been “hiding” them.  I’m going to have the Miami game on a second screen opening week. Should be interesting to see the match up.  

• Like (+1) 1

Lets get one thing out of the way, Beasley is a better WR at this stage of his career than Cam is a QB. 

BUT...they have very similar cap hits if they were to be cut. Maybe don't be shocked if Beasley is cut given McKenzies new vaccination and Stevenson in pre-season? 

(although I would not put money on it)

• Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, eball said:

The Pats*** are going to be a handful, and painful to play and watch.  They’ll be the 2nd best team in the division, not Miami.  I still think Buffalo beats them because of Josh, but the games will likely be ugly.

I strongly agree with this. Their defense is probably going to be quite good too. 

10 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Agree, but unless I've missed it, I have not seen him throwing ropes on deep outs outside the numbers. Good QBs can do that, and it really opens up an offense. Don't get me wrong; NE's run game is probably going to be elite so they're going to be a tough out.

They aren't even gonna try to do that in their offense.  They've loaded up on TEs and power backs, everything will be between the hashes.  Guess who'll need to step up when we play them?  (Rhymes with "Schmedmunds.")

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Big Gun said:

He's a bum, never liked him or his antics and always thought he was way over rated. He also was never the same  and deteriorated fasted after the fumble he didn't dive on in the SB!

He was actually having the best season of his career in 2018 but midway through the season had a rotator cuff injury which he has never recovered from. That shoulder injury is why he can't make throws anymore. It took away a core part of his game. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Mango said:

Lets get one thing out of the way, Beasley is a better WR at this stage of his career than Cam is a QB. 

BUT...they have very similar cap hits if they were to be cut. Maybe don't be shocked if Beasley is cut given McKenzies new vaccination and Stevenson in pre-season? 

(although I would not put money on it)

IF the Bills cut Beasley I could easily see the Pats picking him up and cutting Harry. 

• Like (+1) 1