Tell Me About Average Bills Fans

Shaw66

I found myself wondering what an average Bills fan is like.  I don’t consider myself average.

When I was a teenager in the 60s, I was a serious fan.  I knew everything about the Bills.  Then I left Buffalo and ended up in Connecticut.  Got married, got a job, had kids, so by the 80s, I was in Bills blackout.  There was no quality coverage of the Bills easily available, they weren’t on TV very often, no internet, and I was busy with other things.  There were, I’m sure, plenty of weekends where I didn’t know if the Bills had won or lost until I read the Monday morning paper. 

I got more serious in the 90s, of course, watching the Bills every time they were on TV.  The Kelly years forced me back into more serious fandom.  I continued that way until about 2004, when I discovered fan forums on the internet.  I realized that I could stay current with the Bills even from Connecticut. 

Then, in 2005, I went to a game.  I hadn’t been to the Stadium in 20 years.  One game, and I was seriously hooked.  A year or two later, I had season tickets.  Sometime around then, the Rockpile Review started. 

I’d call myself a serious fan.  My simple measure of a serious fan is someone who can name all the starters, can name at least some of the balance of the roster, and knows the back story of many of the players.  That is, a serious fan knows more about Josh than he grew up on a farm in California.   Maybe a better measure of a serious fan is someone who doesn’t go more than a few days without checking in to see what’s happening with the team, and that means in March, in June, 365.

There aren’t a lot of Bills fans in Connecticut, there isn’t a good Bills bar for the few to gather and watch the games.  When I run into a Bills fan, more often than not, they’re a serious fan like me. 

So, I hang out on this forum, and I get to talk to a lot of other serious Bills fans, some who know a lot more about the team than I do, but even those who may know less that I know still know a lot.  I think of us and others like us as the hard core. 

I’m guessing there are plenty of average Bills fans in Buffalo, people who care a lot about the team and care whether they win, people who watch most of the games, but they will miss a game here or there because the wife wants to shop for furniture.  People who don’t pay a whole lot of attention to the details.  People who can’t name the entire offensive line, let alone the backups.  People who if pressed can name only a half dozen players on the team. 

My guess is that there are more than a few season ticket holders who don’t think about the Bills in depth like people on this forum.  My guess is that there are plenty of people who go to the games faithfully, people who are thrilled when Allen goes deep to Diggs, but people who are stumped if you ask them who starts at defensive tackle. 

So, I’m asking you if you know average fans.  What are they like?   Maybe more importantly, what’s wrong with them?

Edited by Shaw66
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Serious fan in CT. And all of my friends are serious fans - one even studies the roster and knows the players height/weight. Now that’s going a little far but whatever. LOL  I’m not sure I know any causal fans. They would make me mad anyway. 😂

I think for fan bases like the Bills and Browns the "average" fan is super rare. I dunno that many actually exist. In order to be a fan of one of those teams for the last 20 years you really needed to be a diehard.

Living in NW PA/tri-state area Bills and Browns fans have always sort of had a mutual respect for one another because you knew if you happened to run into one over the last 20 years, that they must be a diehard..... how else could you represent either team over the last 2 or 3 decades?

I think we may start to see more young "average" or "fair weather" fans over the next decade as we are regular contenders. But up to this point i just dont think many exist.

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I found myself wondering what an average Bills fan is like.  I don’t consider myself average.

When I was a teenager in the 60s, I was a serious fan.  I knew everything about the Bills.  Then I left Buffalo and ended up in Connecticut.  Got married, got a job, had kids, so by the 80s, I was in Bills blackout.  There was no quality coverage of the Bills easily available, they weren’t on TV very often, no internet, and I was busy with other things.  There were, I’m sure, plenty of weekends where I didn’t know if the Bills had won or lost until I read the Monday morning paper. 

I got more serious in the 90s, of course, watching the Bills every time they were on TV.  The Kelly years forced me back into more serious fandom.  I continued that way until about 2004, when I discovered fan forums on the internet.  I realized that I could stay current with the Bills even from Connecticut. 

Then, in 2005, I went to a game.  I hadn’t been to the Stadium in 20 years.  One game, and I was seriously hooked.  A year or two later, I had season tickets.  Sometime around then, the Rockpile Review started. 

I’d call myself a serious fan.  My simple measure of a serious fan is someone who can name all the starters, can name at least some of the balance of the roster, and knows the back story of many of the players.  That is, a serious fan knows more about Josh than he grew up on a farm in California.   Maybe a better measure of a serious fan is someone who doesn’t go more than a few days without checking in to see what’s happening with the team, and that means in March, in June, 365.

There aren’t a lot of Bills fans in Connecticut, there isn’t a good Bills bar for the few to gather and watch the games.  When I run into a Bills fan, more often than not, they’re a serious fan like me. 

So, I hang out on this forum, and I get to talk to a lot of other serious Bills fans, some who know a lot more about the team than I do, but even those who may know less that I know still know a lot.  I think of us and others like us as the hard core. 

I’m guessing there are plenty of average Bills fans in Buffalo, people who care a lot about the team and care whether they win, people who watch most of the games, but they will miss a game here or there because the wife wants to shop for furniture.  People who don’t pay a whole lot of attention to the details.  People who can’t name the entire offensive line, let alone the backups.  People who if pressed can name only a half dozen players on the team. 

My guess is that there are more than a few season ticket holders who don’t think about the Bills in depth like people on this forum.  My guess is that there are plenty of people who go to the games faithfully, people who are thrilled when Allen goes deep to Diggs, but people who are stumped if you ask them who starts at defensive tackle. 

So, I’m asking you if you know average fans.  What are they like?   Maybe more importantly, what’s wrong with them?

There is no such thing as an average Bills fan. Pats fans that is a different story. You mention Steve Grogan, Andre Tippett to them and they have no clue. They have no knowledge of anything before Parcells and Bledsoe. Once the Pats start to suck again they will go back to being Giants fans while following only the Sox, B's and Celtics.

• Agree 1

I have a similar background, grew up watching them as a kid, couldn't understand why we traded Haven Moses, always watched or listened even when they were horrible in the late 60's/early 70's. Hated the dolphins through the 70's. Left after college in 1982, moved to Long Island, would have my dad put the radio to the phone so I could hear Van do the play by play. Kept the season tickets since then. Long Island is 65% Jets fans, 25% Giants fans and 10% "other". Still travel to as many home games as possible, at least one road trip each year. Converted my wife and all my kids are Bills fans, my daughter is  marrying a Jets fan next year and to end the father daughter dance we will be doing the Shout song.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

My neighbor put up a Patriots* flag in his front yard. I spray-painted "cheaters" across the front of their house, slashed all the tires of their cars, and killed their child's pet hamster, which the kid had named Tom. That makes me "average," right?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 13
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Guffalo said:

I have a similar background, grew up watching them as a kid, couldn't understand why we traded Haven Moses, always watched or listened even when they were horrible in the late 60's/early 70's. Hated the dolphins through the 70's. Left after college in 1982, moved to Long Island, would have my dad put the radio to the phone so I could hear Van do the play by play. Kept the season tickets since then. Long Island is 65% Jets fans, 25% Giants fans and 10% "other". Still travel to as many home games as possible, at least one road trip each year. Converted my wife and all my kids are Bills fans, my daughter is  marrying a Jets fan next year and to end the father daughter dance we will be doing the Shout song.

You should have some interesting family conversations during Bills-Jets games in the future.

I guess the closest thing to an "average Bills fan" I can think of is my Mother. She has lived in Rochester pretty much her entire life. She was a casual, "normal" Bills fan all her life. Watched them when they were on, rooted for them, but could hardly name more than 3-5 players on any given team. They were just the regional team. You could hardly live in Rochester and NOT be a Bills fan.

In retirement, she's gotten much more fanatical. Never misses a game. Had season tickets for a few years before giving them up because her bad knees couldn't take gamedays any more. Bought a bunch of Bills gear, has started to learn more about the players, etc...But even now, she can't name that many players, doesn't know their backstories or jersey numbers or what college they went to. Couldn't tell you the difference between Cover 4 and Man Free. Probably doesn't know what intentional grounding is. Still, she's in front of the TV every sunday, rooting on the team.

Frankly, I think she has "the sickness". That is, she's in some sort of suspended animation ever since the Super Bowl years. Always believing the Bills are "one year away". It's like her life won't be at peace until the Bills win the big one. Ever see the movie Buffalo '66? It's like that. I think A LOT of people have The Sickness. Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas and Bruce Smith all seem to have it. Lord knows I have it. The particular and unique experience of seeing the Bills get SO CLOSE for four straight years, of having a team THAT great with THAT many Hall of Famers and still not sealing the deal. The never-ending sting of the inferiority complex that comes with living in perennially picked-on Buffalo that we feel will somehow find salve in the form of a Lombardi Trophy. The Sickness. It's real. On second thought, maybe my mom's not such a casual fan.

I guess that's what I think separates average Bills fans from the diehard lunatics: The degree to which they have The Sickness. The more serious the infection, the greater the chance they can tell you where the 4th string tight end went to school and what his jersey number is. What an affliction!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I've never met a Bills fan that didn't know a ton about the team and didn't watch every game they could, and follow up with the team in the off season.

For other teams I meet casual fans all the time. For some reason I'm in a pocket of a lot of Rams fans where I live. I know more about their team than they do. I'll ask them about their off-season acquisitions or the players they lost and how it will affect their team, and half the time they didn't even know about those things.

I've met Patriots and Seahawks fans like that. Jets fans seem particularly clueless about their own team and how they compare to the rest of the NFL. But I haven't really met Bills fans lie that. Of course, I don't live anywhere near Buffalo, so the Bills fans I meet have to be serious.

• Like (+1) 1

I would posit that there aren't really any "average" fans on this board, as they have taken the effort to sign up for and spend a decent amount of time on this board. Have you been to the boards of some other teams? There are still threads on the front page that are 6 months-1 year old with 16 replies total. 

• Agree 2

• Shaw66 changed the title to Tell Me About Average Bills Fans
48 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Don’t yell at me.

That’s the Pat line for Donuts!

Shaw, I know very few avg. Bills fans not from this board, but overall.  Not that some guys (unisex term ladies) just kind of follow, but it is still more than most of not all other teams.

Our guys are a little touched, but in a good way.

I guess you could consider me closer to an "average" fan than most posting here.

I grew up south of Rochester, in a family that never really watched football. (My mom considers the sport "barbaric".)

I only became a Bills fan when I went to UB, during the glory years of the early 90's.

I remained a Bills fan through the dark years - in what my wife jokingly refers to as "beaten fan syndrome". 

I don't have season tickets - I never have. Initially - as a poor post graduate student - later, because it would have been pointless.

Due to my shift, I've been working Sunday mornings for well over a decade - so sadly, I have never actually BEEN to a game in the stadium...

As such, I've never been to a *real* Bills Tailgate.

Most Sundays, I'm working through the first few quarters of the early games; although fortunately - I CAN keep track of the game online. I can generally make it home to watch most of the fourth quarter. Working from Home last year was the first time I've actually been able to WATCH the entire season.

I don't play Madden. I don't play Fantasy Football. I don't bet on games. I don't memorize stats.

I hate the Patriots, Bill Belichek, and Tom Brady with the fire of a thousand stars.

I love every Bills player, and many of the former Bills. Unless they become Patriots, or are playing for the opposing team this week.

I strongly dislike Doug "Moron" and can only laugh what has happened to his career since he decided to leave Buffalo.

I own a Fred Jackson Jersey and assorted other minor paraphernalia. 

I pray Josh Allen takes us to promised land of a hoisting a Lombardi.

Thank you for reading my prattle

My parents I’d consider average fans. They has season tickets for 10 years during the drought. Never go to any games, but watch or listen to every one. They know all the players (mostly) and read in the newspaper about them. 

They aren’t actively seeing information in the off season, but follow along as it is reported to them. 

43 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

The average Bills fan is 5'10", 152 lbs, has 2.5 kids and one cat. Waldo

Dude, a cat (a blimp, we’re not in the stratosphere). Chris Brown promo reference.  Dogs brother.

Cats are for old ladies and spinsters.  Dogs are a guy’s best friend.

Now go take a shot of toradol for that leg. 

• Haha (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Greg S said:

There is no such thing as an average Bills fan. Pats fans that is a different story. You mention Steve Grogan, Andre Tippett to them and they have no clue. They have no knowledge of anything before Parcells and Bledsoe. Once the Pats start to suck again they will go back to being Giants fans while following only the Sox, B's and Celtics.

Teams with long winning traditions have more fans, and their fans are spread out over larger geographic areas. The percentage of fans who are hardcore - who could name your starting QBs from bygone eras - is simply higher for the teams that have been traditionally bad. I get that we were good - really good - for half a decade or more in the 90s, but that's overwhelmed by two decades of irrelevance. So Bills fans tend to be hardcore. We followed teams that really didn't deserve to be followed. And for a long time.

But that changes. Depending on how the next few years unfold, you'll likely see a lot of new casual Bills fans. A lot of them will be Josh Allen fans who can name only Allen and Diggs (maybe half a dozen others if they're committed), and they'll live in places like the Central Valley of California (Josh ties) and everywhere that doesn't have its own loyal-to-a-fault fanbase. The places on the TV map that get the Bills as the second half of the Sunday doubleheader.

I see a lot of Dodgers caps where I live. Those people are saying "I'm an LA transplant." (We tolerate you, but do you have to advertise it?) They maybe know Clayton Kershaw, possibly Mookie Betts. I occasionally see a guy (always a guy) in an old school Montreal Expos cap. That guy will recite from memory the Expos 1981 starting lineup from memory (they got cheated by the strike-shortened season; they were the best team in baseball). As time goes on we'll see more of the Dodger type fans, fewer of Expos cap guy in our fanbase. That, my friends, is called success!

Edited by The Frankish Reich

Bills fans........average? Au contraire mon frere, Bills fans are the greatest fans on the face of the earth. Nothing average about them. All of the ones I have met here in VA are definitely more dialed in than other team's fans as a group imo. Hell, half of the other teams' fans I know around here just buy a jersey so they can get drunk at the local Buffalo Wild Wings and throw their hands up in the air or talk **** if their "team" actually does something. Most of the Bills fans I know also seem to have a broader knowledge of all the NFL teams, even more so than some of those other teams' fans. It's like we have a greater love for the game in general. Idk, that's just me and the way I see it. 

• Like (+1) 1

We must be about the same age (ancient). I saw my first live Bills game the day after my 16th birthday, in 1966, at the Rockpile, Bills vs. Houston Oilers with George Blanda at QB, won by the Bills with seconds left in the game by a 66 yard interception return by defensive back Haygood Clarke. I was sitting in the end zone where Clarke scored. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/196609250buf.htm

I moved to Kansas in the 1970s and North Carolina in the 80s. It was hard to see the Bills in those days--they were seldom on TV--but I still followed them. I guess I'm a diehard. 

Edited by Dr. K
  • Like (+1) 1

I was born in Buffalo and after moving around a bit as a kid ended up back there just in time for the SB years. As an adult I've lived all over the country and settled in Albany (Giants country). When I was getting to know my neighbor (now good friend) he told me there is no such thing as a casual Bills fan. If they exist he had never met one.

I've had that sentiment repeated to me on a few occasions by others. Like you said casual fans exist but I don't really know any. 

I might be an interesting case.  I know which players play where but not as much on back stories.  Some but not all.  I might even miss one or two starters when going through the line up.  I can say  however I've missed one single game since the 87 season, the Saints game the day I got married on Sept 27th, 2009. 

I also have an excellent memmory for games and moments.  Without looking it up I can tell you final score of any Bills playoff game, ever.  Part of the reason I love board member corta765's  "Game defining moments"  I can litterally see and remember all the moments that are written up.  Whish those write ups would go back further.

I've always been in the know on players, positions and such to a pretty good degree.  But my fanatiscm is tied into games, moments and the uniform.  I love to read old box scores and game recaps. the "relentless book" was a god send in the days before the internet and Pro Football Ref.com.  

I don't think the "average" fan could hold their own against me in game and moment specific Bills history trivia.

GO BILLS

Edited by Bills fan since 87
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Teams with long winning traditions have more fans, and their fans are spread out over larger geographic areas. The percentage of fans who are hardcore - who could name your starting QBs from bygone eras - is simply higher for the teams that have been traditionally bad. I get that we were good - really good - for half a decade or more in the 90s, but that's overwhelmed by two decades of irrelevance. So Bills fans tend to be hardcore. We followed teams that really didn't deserve to be followed. And for a long time.

But that changes. Depending on how the next few years unfold, you'll likely see a lot of new casual Bills fans. A lot of them will be Josh Allen fans who can name only Allen and Diggs (maybe half a dozen others if they're committed), and they'll live in places like the Central Valley of California (Josh ties) and everywhere that doesn't have its own loyal-to-a-fault fanbase. The places on the TV map that get the Bills as the second half of the Sunday doubleheader.

I see a lot of Dodgers caps where I live. Those people are saying "I'm an LA transplant." (We tolerate you, but do you have to advertise it?) They maybe know Clayton Kershaw, possibly Mookie Betts. I occasionally see a guy (always a guy) in an old school Montreal Expos cap. That guy will recite from memory the Expos 1981 starting lineup from memory (they got cheated by the strike-shortened season; they were the best team in baseball). As time goes on we'll see more of the Dodger type fans, fewer of Expos cap guy in our fanbase. That, my friends, is called success!

This sounds correct to me, and it's an explanation why so many people are responding that there are no average Bills fans.  Well, not no, but not many.   If you're a Bills fan, the experience was primarily pain for a long time, you put up with it, and you were dedicated to the team.  So, you pay more attention to the team.  On the other hand, the other extreme, actually, is Dodger fans.   They're like "yeah, whatever" about their team, and they get excited only when the team's winning, and even then they're largely only about the stars, as you say.  

Obviously, these are all generalizations.  

But I think you're right about the Bills, if they continue to have success.  The growth of the fan base will be average fans building in to enlarge the base.  

I assumed there were a lot of average fans, but you guys are convincing me that there are fewer than I thought.  

1 hour ago, Rocky Landing said:

My neighbor put up a Patriots* flag in his front yard. I spray-painted "cheaters" across the front of their house, slashed all the tires of their cars, and killed their child's pet hamster, which the kid had named Tom. That makes me "average," right?

Makes you a little scary …. But in a lovable, Tony Soprano, sort of way..

1 hour ago, Guffalo said:

When I was living in Long Island (Northport, then Oakdale) in the 1980s I lived far enough away from NJ (where there was a weak station on 930 AM) that at night I used to be able to listen to WBEN at night, although it was through a lot of static.  I used to listen often, especially on Monday night when they had the coach's show.  I didn't get to see a lot of Bills games on TV except when they played the Giants or Jets.  One time the Bills were playing NE & the game was on in Connecticut.  I went to a friends house closer to Connecticut & we had to hook an antenna up to a hockey stick out on his porch to see the game.  

I went to Bills @ Jets games in 1985, 86 & 87.  When the Bills played the Eagles I used to go to Philadelphia for the games,  They played at the Vet in 1985 & 1987.  For the 1987 game I found out I could get Eagles tickets at the mall in Massapequa.  Since the 1987 game was 2 days after Christmas & I couldn't get anyone else to go & I went alone.  The Bills ran for the bus that game with only Bennett showing up on the field.  

Shortly after the Philly game I moved to Albany and was able to get a lot more coverage & go to more Bills games.  A couple of times in 1988 the game was on TV in Utica & not in Albany & I drove west with a little battery TV & watched the game in my car.  The next year I discovered places that had satellites & would go there to watch games I didn't go to.  Since then the only times I've missed watching the game on either TV or at the game (I now only go to about 2 games a year, but I had seasons from 1990-2011) was when I was at another NFL game or in the hospital.  

This should tell you all you need to know.  I once called my parents house from an airplane (remember those very pricey in seat air phones) and had my Mom place her landline phone next to TV so I could hear the Bills game.  Every time the pilot would come on, it would drop my connection and I would have to call back.  At one point the flight attendant came by and asked me in a somewhat rude tone, who the heck you talking to?  I listened to entire Bills game that way as I flew east coast to west coast. 

Edited by wjag

@Shaw66 - great topic and I agree with another poster on her who said there are NO average fans on this board!  We are all hard core.  Very very Hard Core.  You my friend have seasons AND live in CT?  So it is about an 7.5 hour drive from your domicile to The Ralph?  That is dedication!

Go BILLS!

1 hour ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

I might be an interesting case.  I know which players play where but not as much on back stories.  Some but not all.  I might even miss one or two starters when going through the line up.  I can say  however I've missed one single game since the 87 season, the Saints game the day I got married on Sept 27th, 2009. 

I also have an excellent memmory for games and moments.  Without looking it up I can tell you final score of any Bills playoff game, ever.  Part of the reason I love board member corta765's  "Game defining moments"  I can litterally see and remember all the moments that are written up.  Whish those write ups would go back further.

I've always been in the know on players, positions and such to a pretty good degree.  But my fanatiscm is tied into games, moments and the uniform.  I love to read old box scores and game recaps. the "relentless book" was a god send in the days before the internet and Pro Football Ref.com.  

I don't think the "average" fan could hold their own against me in game and moment specific Bills history trivia.

GO BILLS

You're definitely not average!

21 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

@Shaw66 - great topic and I agree with another poster on her who said there are NO average fans on this board!  We are all hard core.  Very very Hard Core.  You my friend have seasons AND live in CT?  So it is about an 7.5 hour drive from your domicile to The Ralph?  That is dedication!

Go BILLS!

Six and a half.  

There is nothing like the atmosphere in a sold-out NFL game, and there's no sold-out NFL game like a sold-out Bills home game.  It's a great experience, every time. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

Six and a half.  

There is nothing like the atmosphere in a sold-out NFL game, and there's no sold-out NFL game like a sold-out Bills home game.  It's a great experience, every time. 

Well now 6.5 is not that bad!!  I had seasons from 87 thru 2012.  The best games in my mind were during the SB run.....81k+ fans screaming their collective heads off???  That stadium feeling like a jet taking off?  I agree, NOTHING like a sold out game at The Ralph!  I have been to a few other stadiums.....did.  not.  compare!

Go BILLS!

• Like (+1) 1

I never met an "average" fan until I moved from Buffalo to California in my late teens.  I hated those people when I met them and I still hate them today.  Lol.

But seriously, there is something to the notion that larger cities with tons of entertainment options or places with great outdoor activity options tend to produce more "average" fans.  I mean, if we get an 80* day here in San Diego on a late October Sunday, it's darn hard to sit inside and watch the Bills for 3 hours when I could be out at the beach surfing, spearfishing or playing a round of golf at Torrey Pines.  I still do it, but it makes me absolutely sick to waste a beautiful morning watching us lose.

I love Buffalo, but as far as entertainment in the Fall-Winter, the Bills and Sabres are pretty much it (yes, I know we (Buffalo) have an art scene and bowling alleys...lol).

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Played the shout song no less than 5 times at my wedding. 

Any fan that watched the Bills through the Drought weekly is pretty much an above average fan in my book. 

"Above average?"  I think the term you're searching for is "masochist."  

• Haha (+1) 1