Bills Scout reached out to gold medalist wrestler Gable Steveson?

MWK

https://www.si.com/wrestling/2021/08/11/gable-steveson-olympic-gold-medal-wwe-future

Article talks about a potential future for him in WWE, but also included this:

“So many great organizations and teams have reached out. A scout from the Bills, there is a connection with the Ravens. The Olympic gold medal is helping me see the world, so my next step is going to be a big decision. I’m going to decompress now and think about it.”

McDermott must be licking his chops. Gold medalist wrestler? He would love that.

Edited by MWK
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

• MWK changed the title to Bills Scout reached out to gold medalist wrestler Gable Steveson?

The overlap between football and wrestling is huge. Mainly, understanding using your hips to generate sudden power. Possibly one of the most discipline driven sports. The dude might not ever be an all pro, but not difficult picturing any high level wrestler being able to carve out a role with some coaching.

Off the top of my head  here's some elite wrestlers that went on to have NFL careers

Ray Lewis

Robert Quinn

Lorenzo Neal

Tedy Bruschi

Ronnie Lott

Bo Jackson

Bryant McKinney 

Warren Sapp

Fred Smerlas

Bruce Smith

Ricky Williams

Roddy White

Jonathan Ogden

2020 there were 4 HS State Champ wrestlers drafted in the NFL.

[Edit alot of those were of the top of my head, but I looked up an article to add some extra juice to the list lol]

Edited by BillsShredder83

A developmental prospect.  3 years on the practice squad and then look out!  Most HS wrestlers that I know (including me) also played football.  Gain weight for football, then starve it off for wrestling.  We did it, but not a very healthy way to operate.  Wrestling takes a ton of discipline and that translates well to football (as does the balance and use of weight/force against another person), but for someone who hasn't ever played football or has not played since HS, making it in the NFL is a major climb.

21 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Off the top of my head  here's some elite wrestlers that went on to have NFL careers

If that’s off the top of your head, what kind of arcane knowledge resides at the bottom?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 7

2 hours ago, MWK said:

https://www.si.com/wrestling/2021/08/11/gable-steveson-olympic-gold-medal-wwe-future

“So many great organizations and teams have reached out. A scout from the Bills, there is a connection with the Ravens. The Olympic gold medal is helping me see the world, so my next step is going to be a big decision. I’m going to decompress now and think about it.”

McDermott must be licking his chops. Gold medalist wrestler? He would love that.

I remember Brock Lesner trying out for the Vikings a few years back and the backup guard pretty much was manhandling him in drills…hopefully he’s got a little football technique in there too 

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

I'm not sure what position he'd be outside of DT but he's only 6'1 260 lbs right now which a bit small, maybe LB yet not sure he'd have the speed/instincts. 

Most wrestlers compete WELL under their natural weight. He could probably add quite a few pounds and not lose any of his explosiveness. 

Also wrestled in HS and the commitment needed to get to and sustain a certain weight class requires strong will and discipline. 

Worth a shot…

5 hours ago, MWK said:

Unless he is going to stop competing in wrestling i would not sign him.  Olympics and football require different training and interfere with each other. 

2 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

The overlap between football and wrestling is huge. Mainly, understanding using your hips to generate sudden power. Possibly one of the most discipline driven sports. The dude might not ever be an all pro, but not difficult picturing any high level wrestler being able to carve out a role with some coaching.

Ray Lewis

Robert Quinn

Lorenzo Neal

Tedy Bruschi

Ronnie Lott

Bo Jackson

Bryant McKinney 

Warren Sapp

Fred Smerlas

Bruce Smith

Ricky Williams

Roddy White

Jonathan Ogden

2020 there were 4 HS State Champ wrestlers drafted in the NFL.

[Edit alot of those were of the top of my head, but I looked up an article to add some extra juice to the list lol]

image.thumb.jpeg.9b5be01c786e0aea70e7210b5603b6aa.jpeg
"Well Mr. TSW Contributor, if you don't edit that list I will lay a world of hurt on you!"

• Haha (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

It's the type of thing a naive young person says, but if you can tap into that mentality I'm sure it's super helpful.

I struggle with the, "he's really strong, has a lot of muscles, and has a great attitude - so even though he's a wrestler, he'll make a great NFL player," mentality.

It's like when every Buffalo Bill retires, people say, "he'd make a great coach."

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

I struggle with the, "he's really strong, has a lot of muscles, and has a great attitude - so even though he's a wrestler, he'll make a great NFL player," mentality.

It's like when every Buffalo Bill retires, people say, "he'd make a great coach."

Yeah unless that wrestler has played a lot of football also in like college or whatever, guess only thing he'd be good at is tackling or taking ppl down maybe? Would never make a team anyway.

I can't think of any Bills that are retired that I would say would be a good coach really lol. Lorax maybe

3 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Yeah unless that wrestler has played a lot of football also in like college or whatever, guess only thing he'd be good at is tackling or taking ppl down maybe? Would never make a team anyway.

I can't think of any Bills that are retired that I would say would be a good coach really lol. Lorax maybe

Always thought Frank Reich and Alex Van Pelt would be and they are.  Daniel Webb will be also; 

Jimbo no.  Same with Allen.  Fitzpatrick would be better in front office.

I think Lorax, Kyle Williams and Eric Wood would be good assistant game coaches where coaches are worrying about strategy and they are trying to show players what they are missing and how to make their game better.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Fitz (even though he's not retired) and Freddy were two common ones.

Just now, Limeaid said:

Always thought Frank Reich and Alex Van Pelt would be and they are.  Daniel Webb will be also; 

Jimbo no.  Same with Allen.  Fitzpatrick would be better in front office.

I think Lorax, Kyle Williams and Eric Wood would be good assistant game coaches where coaches are worrying about strategy and they are trying to show players what they are missing and how to make their game better.

Yeah you're right, Frank Reich totally slipped my mind and so did Kyle W. I actually did and still do think Kyle could be a good coach. Some of those speeches he gave that were on video would give you goose bumps

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Fitz (even though he's not retired) and Freddy were two common ones.

Oh, well they wouldn't be the 1st I would have said. Just don't see either of them coaching. Kiko Alonzo now is a different story 😐

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Yeah, "friggin' wrestling", only one of the most athletic sports in the world that translates well to a lot of other sports 🙄

Brock Lesnar didn't translate too well. Who did? Not being smartass or anything, honestly don't know

3 hours ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

No joke, we could probably find a spot for this guy with a bit of coaching. Unreal performance in the gold medal match...pinned the guy with 1.5 seconds left for a comeback victory and then celebrated with a backflip. His muscles look like they have muscles. 

It wasn't a pin, he was down a point and scored a 2 point takedown as time expired to win by a point, but your point is well taken.  This guy was up against the wall, and came through in the clutch to win gold.  We got nothing to lose giving this guy a look.  He's a winner, and tough as nails.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Yeah, "friggin' wrestling", only one of the most athletic sports in the world that translates well to a lot of other sports 🙄

So why aren't the Sabres, some rugby team, or some Australian Rules football team plucking Olympic wrestlers left and right?

It's silly.  Silly.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Brock Lesnar didn't translate too well. Who did? Not being smartass or anything, honestly don't know

Lesnar was 27 and had already spent years in the WWE on top of his collegiate wrestling career. He was offered a spot in NFL Europa but passed to go to the UFC. Stevenson is 21 years old and has less wear and tear.

Look, I'm not saying Stevenson can come in and immediately make a contribution. But he'd be an intriguing developmental prospect, if he were so inclined to move to football.

8 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Lesnar was 27 and had already spent years in the WWE on top of his collegiate wrestling career. He was offered a spot in NFL Europa but passed to go to the UFC. Stevenson is 21 years old and has less wear and tear.

Look, I'm not saying Stevenson can come in and immediately make a contribution. But he'd be an intriguing developmental prospect, if he were so inclined to move to football.

I get it....I was just curious if you knew of any wrestlers that made it in the NFL since you stated wrestling translates well to NFL. Just thought that if it translated so well like that, then who are the ones that did. You'd think there would be a few if it did translate that well.

Edited by Sheneneh Jenkins