Questions for those of us who endured the drought

As most of us know, the drought from 2000 to 2016 was brutal. That’s why we even say things like PTSD when something bad happens. Heck, it became so much a part of us that we came up with our own bills way to say it, “BBFS”.

Obviously though, it’s been different lately. We have been in the playoffs the last three out of four years, won some playoff games, went to the AFC championship game, just signed our franchise guy through 2028. Heck, even the national narrative is starting to change.

So, here’s my questions. Because the BBFS was so strong, when did your perspective of the team and your BBFS start to change? Also, do you still struggle with BBFS or has the recent success changed that overall?

For me, it started with the Cowboys game in 2019. It was like, “Oh, wow, we were on the road on the national stage and beat a decent/good team.” It was cemented last season with our eight game winning streak.

It feels great to once again be heading into a season, barring major injuries, that we’re a force to be reckoned with. It feels great going into games (most games) feeling like we will win instead of hoping that we will.

Would love to hear your thoughts as well, Bills Mafia. Let’s go Buffalo!

Edited by BillsFan619
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

its been incremental...McD...Beane...blowing it up...ending the drought..drafting Josh and Edmunds in first round, teh very same draft without giving up a future numero uno..more drafting White and Oliver and mid-late gems like Davis and Bass...replacing coaches and O coord...Diggs...watching Josh develop into franchise qb with all those comeback wins (quality comeback example: LA Rams at home last year)..so to pinpoint one thing is the confidence the team, fans and franchise has in believing in Josh and when you came aboard with that I guess.

Edited by First Round Bust
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

I have said it before and will say it again.

I knew things were going to change for the better when the hired McD as coach.

You’re a better man than me, bro. 🤣

I love McD but didn’t like the hire at first.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

As most of us know, the drought from 2000 to 2016 was brutal. That’s why we even say things like PTSD when something bad happens. Heck, it became so much a part of us that we came up with our own bills way to say it, “BBFS”.

Obviously though, it’s been different lately. We have been in the playoffs the last three out of four years, won some playoff games, went to the AFC championship game, just signed our franchise guy through 2028. Heck, even the national narrative is starting to change.

So, here’s my questions. Because the BBFS could be so strong, when did your perspective of the team start to change? Also, do you still struggle with BBFS or has the recent success change that?

For me, it started with the Cowboys game in 2019. It was like, “Oh, wow, we were on the road on the national stage and beat a decent/good team.” It was cemented last season with our eight game winning streak.

It feels great heading into the season, barring major injuries, that we’re a force to be reckon with. It feels great going into games (most games) feeling like we will win instead of hoping that we will.

I think it's a good question. When did my perspective start to change? For me, it was during the 2017 season, McDermott's first. We started strong, going 5-2 to start the season, but we had been through that before. I'm sure everyone else was like me in saying, "Sure, but we'll see what happens the rest of the way." It's all about how you finish, rather than how you start.

So when McDermott's team finished the season 4-2, that was a good indicator that things were changing. The real moment, the one moment when I really thought things were changing for the Bills?

Had to be the moment when Andy Dalton threw that 49-yard TD pass to Tyler Boyd on 4th-and-12. I mean, I nearly ***** my pants.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, First Round Bust said:

its been incremental...McD...Beane...blowing it up...ending the drought..drafting Josh and Edmunds in first round...more drafting White and Oliver and mid-late gems like Davis and Bass...replacing coaches and O coord...Diggs...watching Josh develop into franchise qb with all those comeback wins (LA Rams at home last year)..so to pinpoint one thing is the confidence the team, fans and franchise has in believing in Josh and when you came aboard with that I guess.

Good thoughts, thanks for sharing.

5 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

You’re a better man than me, bro. 🤣

I love McD but didn’t like the hire at first.

The hire I hated was Wrex...I knew he would mess this team up.

When they gassed him less than 2 years into his 5yr deal I was ecstatic :)

I could just tell by his presser this guy(McD) was the real deal,he was humble and sincere. 

Edited by JMF2006
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Rubes said:

I think it's a good question. When did my perspective start to change? For me, it was during the 2017 season, McDermott's first. We started strong, going 5-2 to start the season, but we had been through that before. I'm sure everyone else was like me in saying, "Sure, but we'll see what happens the rest of the way." It's all about how you finish, rather than how you start.

So when McDermott's team finished the season 4-2, that was a good indicator that things were changing. The real moment, the one moment when I really thought things were changing for the Bills?

Had to be the moment when Andy Dalton threw that 49-yard TD pass to Tyler Boyd on 4th-and-12. I mean, I nearly ***** my pants.

Yup, BBFS was strong in 2017! I’m referring to your thoughts about fans thoughts about the 5-2 start in 2017.

I’ve been a fan since before the SB years and that 4th and 12 play is one of the most special in my fandom (I’m sure it is for many).

• Agree 1

For me it was finally last year when we were expected to sweep the Patriots and did! Those demons have been exorcised and now the mentality has shifted to expecting to win. This team is so hungry and believes winning the Super Bowl is a reality!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

I started having issues when Rex was hired.  

I did not like Coach McD at first:

• as substitute GM firing scouts, etc. things which did fall within his area of expertise
  • coach selection hiring coaches who IMO were not as qualified as coaches we currently had because he knew them (old boys network) - I stated at time with each and every coach mentioned gone in first year.  Lots of new head coaches have issues first year and rather than hiring whoever he could find even if not first choice he should have worked with coaches who were willing to work with him. 

When Beane joined I was much more comfortable.

I have no issue with his coaching especially now but if Beane were to retire I would not be comfortable with him doing duo role even keeping current front office staff working for him.

• Like (+1) 1

Its starts whith Mc Dermont, who looks like a serious and pasionate man (not like Jauron or Rex Ryan or even Marrone).

If I look for a play, I think it was the Cam Newton fumble.  The moment we recovery the ball, the moment I feel the Witch died and we became a winnning team .

I always think back to the "Snow Game" vs. the Colts in that 2017 Season as the turning point. Going into that game, we knew that we had to win that one to have a shot to make the playoffs that season. I figured once we got that playoff drought monkey off our back, it would ultimately pave the way for better things to come. 

• Like (+1) 2

For me, it started with that 1st playoff appearance.  Sure, Cincy helped us to get in, but the Bills took care of business by winning in week 17 to give themselves that opportunity.  Sean McDermott got the best out of a roster with marginal talent and that told me things would only go up from there.

• Like (+1) 4

So most of my fandom has been during the drought. I'm only 32 years old, so the last time the Bills won a playoff game I was just too young to really remember it. I do have fond memories of Eric Moulds, Doug Flutie, even Drew Bledsoe.

But most of my years of really caring about the Bills was just abysmal. Not usually horrible enough to get a top draft pick, and when we were close we had no confidence that we would pick a difference maker anyways.

But the biggest thing? Every coach we hired just seemed like a buffoon. I just never had confidence in them. It was obvious we were scraping the bottom of the barrel for these coaches. I always had to convince myself that they might be ok.

McDermott, though? I was legitimately impressed with him and thought he could be different. Beane, too, was impressive to me. McDermott breaking the drought really shows me he was different as well. It's only been uphill from there.

Josh Allen showed a lot to me his rookie year. He had no talent on offense to help him. He put the offense on his back every game. He had some lows and some highs, but he was a fighter. That Minnesota game and the well 17 Miami game really shows me he had potential to be good.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, JMF2006 said:

I wish I had that confidence. If I remember correctly, I believe I was calling for his head after the blow out loss to the chargers in 2017 lol. Shows how much I know.

• Haha (+1) 1

In 2014 once Orton took over, this team stopped being a joke. EJ was the last domino to fall. Once he was taken out of the equation, I felt like this team could actually be something. From the lions game with Orton, through now, it’s been different. EJ was the last thing that just made me feel helpless. The guy was a completely overdrafted bust that held us back. Just the bookend of a post Flutie misery.

Edited by Brianmoorman4jesus

1 hour ago, BillsFan619 said:

So, here’s my questions. Because the BBFS could be so strong, when did your perspective of the team and your BBFS start to change? Also, do you still struggle with BBFS or has the recent success changed that overall?

It feels great heading into the season, barring major injuries, that we’re a force to be reckon with. It feels great going into games (most games) feeling like we will win instead of hoping that we will.

The 1pm truthers loved the drought days. No playoffs every year but dammit...the Bills were on at 1:00

Edited by Buffalo03
  • Haha (+1) 3

All started when Ralph was out of the picture. After Pegs got the team, it did take a couple years for him to wake up. I wasn’t sold on McD when he was hired, but I was more than willing to give him a chance. The day after the 2017 draft when Whaley was fired, I felt very good that things were finally going to turn around. Making the playoffs and breaking the drought cinched it, and the firing of Russ Brandon the following spring was the icing on the cake.

God bless Pegs, McD, Beane, and especially today God bless Josh Allen. Thank you so much.:worthy:

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

My expectations of mediocrity started when Harvey Johnson became coach the first time. I absolutely loved the Chuck Knox hire and was so mad when Ralphie Boy caused him to leave. I hit rock bottom with the Hank Bullough hire. Honestly, I wasn’t thrilled with the hiring of Marv Levy either, but that worked out, of course. Since those times, I just roll with the team as it comes. The good times are precious as gold to me. I just enjoy the ride either way.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Rico said:

All started when Ralph was out of the picture. After Pegs got the team, it did take a couple years for him to wake up. I wasn’t sold on McD when he was hired, but I was more than willing to give him a chance. The day after the 2017 draft when Whaley was fired, I felt very good that things were finally going to turn around. Making the playoffs and breaking the drought cinched it, and the firing of Russ Brandon the following spring was the icing on the cake.

God bless Pegs, McD, Beane, and especially today God bless Josh Allen. Thank you so much.:worthy:

Agree with this. Also, not to be a stick in the mud, but I remember when the term "McBean" was thrown around in a snarky manner only a few years ago. In hindsight, and with no disrespect to Polian and Levy this is probably the best GM/Coach  combo we've ever had.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Now that Josh has signed his contract, it's going to be just like when Fitzpatrick got his money, and then crapped the bed. Allen's going to phone it in from here on out. And the arm arrogance is going to kill us. Dang.

This is either sarcasm or bad “BBFS”.

JA is definitely different situation than Fitzpatrick (even though I liked/still like Fitzy).

Go Bills!

1 hour ago, Victory Formation said:

Honestly, it was so bad I prefer not to think about it.

🤣🤣🤣

I get ya. I hear what you’re saying.

That said, sometimes when you remember where you’ve been, it makes the good times so much more special.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MJS said:

So most of my fandom has been during the drought. I'm only 32 years old, so the last time the Bills won a playoff game I was just too young to really remember it. I do have fond memories of Eric Moulds, Doug Flutie, even Drew Bledsoe.

But most of my years of really caring about the Bills was just abysmal. Not usually horrible enough to get a top draft pick, and when we were close we had no confidence that we would pick a difference maker anyways.

But the biggest thing? Every coach we hired just seemed like a buffoon. I just never had confidence in them. It was obvious we were scraping the bottom of the barrel for these coaches. I always had to convince myself that they might be ok.

McDermott, though? I was legitimately impressed with him and thought he could be different. Beane, too, was impressive to me. McDermott breaking the drought really shows me he was different as well. It's only been uphill from there.

Josh Allen showed a lot to me his rookie year. He had no talent on offense to help him. He put the offense on his back every game. He had some lows and some highs, but he was a fighter. That Minnesota game and the well 17 Miami game really shows me he had potential to be good.

You, sir, have my respect. I at least had the late 80s and the 90s Bills.

3 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

So, here’s my questions. Because the BBFS was so strong, when did your perspective of the team and your BBFS start to change? Also, do you still struggle with BBFS or has the recent success changed that overall?

It feels great to once again be heading into a season, barring major injuries, that we’re a force to be reckoned with. It feels great going into games (most games) feeling like we will win instead of hoping that we will.

Here's what I said on Memorial Day, 2019:

I think the golden age of the Buffalo Bills is upon us.  I think we are about to witness the greatest run of excellence in the history of the franchise, and one of the greatest of all time in the NFL.

Maybe it’s just because I’ve lived a long life and been fortunate to have had a lot of good things happen around me.   About the only good thing that hasn’t happened is true greatness for my football team.  I was there for the AFL championships and the Super Bowls.  Now it’s time to go all the way.

Whatever the reason, I can’t talk myself out of believing the Bills are about to take off.  It’s not that I expect the 2019 Bills to be great – someplace in the 9-7 to 7-9 range once again this year; what I expect is that the 2020 Bills will be a solid playoff team and a regular preseason Super Bowl contender after that.  It could come a year earlier or a year later, but it’s coming.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I started a thread the day they traded Sammy “ Do you trust McBeane “ or something like that.

I was absolutely on board at that point already. They got rid of a malingering D lineman, an over priced WR who wasn’t all that ( never liked Sammy from the word go). 
    Darby going surprised me but I trusted them.

They were doing it the right way. They had a plan and a type of player they wanted. 
    Thank the football gods for McBeane !!!

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

GTFO. This franchise's futility didn't begin in 2000.  Call me when you start shaving.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BillsFan619 said:

This is either sarcasm or bad “BBFS”.

JA is definitely different situation than Fitzpatrick (even though I liked/still like Fitzy).

Go Bills!

Jesus H. Christ, of course it's sarcasm! I thought the "arm arrogance" would have given it away, but I guess that's a little obscure...

I'm permanently scarred. I still think the bottom is going to fall out of this whole thing with no reasoning behind it other than that's what the Bills do. Even if they win the super bowl, for a few days I'll be dreading am announcement of how the game needs to be replayed because of a technicality.

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

The thing that I have noticed is that the better we have become the more pressure I feel. For example, the season opener has always been fun win or lose. But now it feels like it would be devastating to lose the opener for the simple reason that the bar has been raised and simply making the playoffs is no longer the goal. The goal is to be a #1 or #2 seed and make a deep playoff run every year. 

Having been a fan for the last 52 years, I've experienced extended periods of mediocrity as well as the "golden age" of four straight Super Bowl appearances.  I know that "what goes around comes around."  I tend to be a little wary about making prognostications about future success, having been burned more than a few times over the past 5 decades.  I was impressed early on by McDermott and Beane.  I was intrigued by Josh Allen's physical traits before he was drafted, and more so after he was drafted, but I still saw it as a risk.  Had Allen not turned out to be a success, I thought there was still a good chance that Beane and McDermott would get fired and we'd be looking at yet another rebuild.  Making the playoffs started to make me think the team might be on the right path.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

I wish I had that confidence. If I remember correctly, I believe I was calling for his head after the blow out loss to the chargers in 2017 lol. Shows how much I know.

I had similar feelings as well. It was also part of the reason I was very down on Josh when we drafted him and early in his rookie season. Full me once, shame on you. Full me twice shame on me. McDermott and Beane were essentially fooled twice into thinking Peterman could legitimately start an NFL game or even hold down a roster spot. The fact that they were wrong so badly not once but twice had me scratching my head on how they could possibly be right on Allen when all the analytics said different. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

The hire I hated was Wrex...I knew he would mess this team up.

When they gassed him less than 2 years into his 5yr deal I was ecstatic :)

I could just tell by his presser this guy(McD) was the real deal,he was humble and sincere. 

Was Dick Jauron not humble and sincere though? 

47 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I had similar feelings as well. It was also part of the reason I was very down on Josh when we drafted him and early in his rookie season. Full me once, shame on you. Full me twice shame on me. McDermott and Beane were essentially fooled twice into thinking Peterman could legitimately start an NFL game or even hold down a roster spot. The fact that they were wrong so badly not once but twice had me scratching my head on how they could possibly be right on Allen when all the analytics said different. 

I love that full me twice feeling every Thanksgiving. 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

I think this is a good time stamp, I agree that was a time where the Bills just kicked the teeth in of the media darlings, where Allen just stood there and rifled that pass down the middle.

I think finally looking OUTSIDE the organization for a GM was huge. Flushing years of Marv, Russ Brandon, Nix and clueless Whaley and ending the “Promote from Within” cheapo culture the Bills had embodied forever. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Beerball said:

GTFO. This franchise's futility didn't begin in 2000.  Call me when you start shaving.

Shaving does not mean much.  I went to my first game at the Rockpile alone paying for game with bottles I collected.  I did not need to shave until after I moved from Buffalo to Northern Virginia after college for work, was married and bought a car before I needed to share.

Having Cro-Magnon blood is not reason to be uppity.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

The thing that I have noticed is that the better we have become the more pressure I feel. For example, the season opener has always been fun win or lose. But now it feels like it would be devastating to lose the opener for the simple reason that the bar has been raised and simply making the playoffs is no longer the goal. The goal is to be a #1 or #2 seed and make a deep playoff run every year. 

Yup, I see what you’re saying. Games definitely mean more. We lose more than a few games (I think we have a chance to win most of our games again this year), the #1 seed is most likely out of reach with a team like KC.