Bills re-sign Ike Boettger

DJB

• DJB changed the title to Bills re-sign sign Ike Boettger
  • DJB changed the title to Bills re-sign Ike Boettger

Another solid off season move by Beane that is without the bells and whistles the national media will notice or comment upon, but is the kind of move that makes a franchise successful over time.  

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Good, I think he will get better from working on his technique and execution..., good quality back up signing! Just can’t have enough good O line guys. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Another solid off season move by Beane that is without the bells and whistles the nation media will notice or comment upon, but is the kind of move that makes a franchise successful over time.  

The Bills had an "ok" free agency, according to most pundits. They only brought back like 95% of a 15-3 team, most on team friendly contracts, no big deal.

Just now, NewEra said:

Awesome.  Our guard depth is great!  Too bad our starting guards stink 😂

Thinking about the Zeitler contract right when we re-signed Mongo still stings.

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Boxcar said:

The Bills had an "ok" free agency, according to most pundits. They only brought back like 95% of a 15-3 team, most on team friendly contracts, no big deal.

Thinking about the Zeitler contract right when we re-signed Mongo still stings.

Agreed.  And then gabe jackson.  Mongo got less $ but he’s also the lesser player.  He’s lucky he can play C imo

15 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

He may not be a back up....

Could be, but he was never the first choice last season, it was injuries to others that got him playing time, not out playing the starters, but as I said, ya can’t have enough good O line guys, cause ya never know..., 

17 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

He may not be a back up....

I share this opinion. Ford may or may not work out as a starting guard. Based upon the first two games, other wise known as his only two games, of the season, he was really not as strong as Ike. The line play improved in protection when Ike began to start. It didn’t seem to either negatively or positively affect the run game.

26 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I know you are joking, but this could be one of the battles of camp, what three guys start. I’m not betting against Feliciano at center, Morse is always good for a week(s) injured here or there. 

• Like (+1) 1

Better then WInters

37 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Im sorry at what point did the narrative change that Mongo "stinks"

He is a above average OG in the NFL with position flex.   Those players do not "stink" they just dont make the pro bowl

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Better then WInters

He is a above average OG in the NFL with position flex.   Those players do not "stink" they just dont make the pro bowl

Average at best and paid that way accordingly...

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

Average at best and paid that way accordingly...

My point is that "average" NFL players dont stink......not everyone on your team can be an all pro.....some of them just "do their job and can be upgraded at any time"

*****....there was a time on this board when people actually liked Mongo......sometime before his injury last year that he had to play with perhaps?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, John from Riverside said:

My point is that "average" NFL players dont stink......not everyone on your team can be an all pro.....some of them just "do their job and can be upgraded at any time"

*****....there was a time on this board when people actually liked Mongo......sometime before his injury last year that he had to play with perhaps?

Ok fair enough... 

I don’t hate the guy but like I said , I would classify him as at best average... although agree that the position flexibility is a bonus....

I think the issue is that a lot of people think he can be upgraded ... 

Beane did the same thing a couple of years ago.  He loaded up on good O line players, then winnowed down by trading some of them during training camp to teams desperate for help at the position.  

He used a lot of that draft capital quite well.  Unfortunately one of the guys he traded away was Wyatt Teller, who's become an all-pro with the Browns.  It would sure be nice to have him back.

I think the odds are that Cody Ford gets traded away this summer.  He just isn't dominating the way he was expected to.

PFF rating has him ranked 36 out 80 for Gs....Browns have # 1 C (Trotter) and former Bill...# 2 G (Teller) who is #1 run blocker...safe to say I wouldnt mind an IOL taken with the second rounder this year...7M in savings to cut Morse to pay Josh and possibly upgrade the position with run blocking improvement instead of wasting on a RB with pick 1.

• Sad 1

Just now, FFadpecr said:

3-way competition for Starting LG:

Ford vs Boettger vs Lamp

Let the best man win.

This is why the Bills should not waste a 1st or 2nd round pick on an Offensive Lineman.

It would not shock me to see Lamp take one of these OG spots......he is a starting caliber talent player.   In my opinion unless a obvious upgrade presents itself in the draft we might not even take a OG.    This team needs to upgrade its secondary and pass rush

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Exactly. Maybe, just maybe Mongo plays a lot better with the use of his other arm.

With Ike officially back in the fold this team runs 7 deep with starting caliber or high end backup caliber players. Dawkins-Ford/Ike-Mitch-Mongo-D.Williams and Bates are a pretty good 7 at the O-line, would love to see some more depth/developmental players brought in via the draft particularly at tackle but love to see Ike back in the fold for at least one more season. 

Just now, billsfan89 said:

With Ike officially back in the fold this team runs 7 deep with starting caliber or high end backup caliber players. Dawkins-Ford/Ike-Mitch-Mongo-D.Williams and Bates are a pretty good 7 at the O-line, would love to see some more depth/developmental players brought in via the draft particularly at tackle but love to see Ike back in the fold for at least one more season. 

The Swing tackle ( Bates?) concerns me and I wouldnt mind them drafting someone to compete here...

Also, I like Humphrey as a long term C option and to allow them to move on from Morse after this year... 

27 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Better then WInters

It’s half joke John.  They kind of stink. Kind of don’t stink.  But do kind of stink.  Neither are good and Jon is overpaid imo.  I wouldn’t call him above average.  I think he’s average at best to below average when he’s not his best.  

until I can see our run game open some holes and block the KC pash rush, they’ll

be meh to me.  The OL did a great job pass blocking last year.  Feliciano didn’t. Boettger was meh. Allen was god and makes them look better than they are at times. I wouldn’t consider either of our guards to be quality starters.  

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, FFadpecr said:

8 deep

You forgot Forrest Lamp

If Lamp stays healthy he has the highest ceiling right there with Ford when it comes to the battle between Ford, Feliciano, Lamp and Ike. This is a make or break year for Ford. Ike is a solid backup and gets the most out of what he has to work with. 

• Agree 1