Bills sign Matt Milano to 4 yr, 44 mill deal with 24 mill gtd

All the stuff about him wanting to test the market and buy a yacht - and Beane's apparent lack of enthusiasm to re-sign him - makes this news a surprise.

He's still a puzzle to me.  When I watch him play, he doesn't look like a difference maker, but the stats say he is.   

I guess I trust the metrics more than my own eyes because I was very happy to learn he re-signed.  

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, The Governor said:

Bye Edmunds.

I bet they do  5 th year option nex year on edmunds and evaluate during that if he really is essential at MLB. We can easily keep him if we choose to with bargaining power on our side until his rookie deal expires. Having said that, unless he has a really much more impressive  year than last year and learns how to use all that size to hit more impressively, or make more impact plays, I would be ok looking elsewhere. This guy needs to substantially make more impact plays. Either make more TFL, get more picks or show he can cover a tight end ( if he isn’t bailed out by the cb intercepting that pass in the end zone against Baltimore as the TE had broken away from him and had clearly beaten edmunds ), then all the hype around him is just that, Hype without substance and I am sure we could do better. 

I think M58 is a very good player.  

I thought Bean was in South Carolina today.   Maybe he was working on the plane. 

I believe the Bills have to play many good football games and not just worry about the team from KC.   

KC is not in our division which is the first step.  I would love to rush the passer better, but MM makes the Bills better and we have to win one game at a time.

1 minute ago, hondo in seattle said:

All the stuff about him wanting to test the market and buy a yacht - and Beane's apparent lack of enthusiasm to re-sign him - makes this news a surprise.

He's still a puzzle to me.  When I watch him play, he doesn't look like a difference maker, but the stats say he is.   

I guess I trust the metrics more than my own eyes because I was very happy to learn he re-signed.  

From what we've seen of Milano he probably saw the yacht prices and figured he could just build his own boat.

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Jerboski said:

My crusade is pay pass rushers and OL, Milano isn’t closing the gap with the chiefs. We saw them in the playoffs, 2 out of 3 games the defense was shredded 

Pay elite pass rushers or corners, coverage linebackers at 11M a year not unless your last name is David 

This... 

You keep saying Milano isn’t closing the gap with the Chiefs.....not having him clearly would have made the gap larger.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, TH3 said:

You keep saying Milano isn’t closing the gap with the Chiefs.....not having him clearly would have made the gap larger.

People seem to be missing that just maintaining a good team is difficult let alone making it better. They want the flashy pass rusher.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I think the tape showed how important he was. He's an elite LB. Probably could have gotten 12-13 per on a rebuilding team.  

This team seems to truly love it here n love their teammates 

Him and Edmunds are a top 3 coverage LB duo.

If Edmund's takes another jump, that's a scary sight

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

People seem to be missing that just maintaining a good team is difficult let alone making it better. They want the flashy pass rusher.

Rusher would be good too....but Milano makes plays....a lot of timely plays....those guys are hard to find....see Sabres....

A lot of Chiefs talk....Williams got demolished in the Chiefs game....so there is that

1 hour ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Wow I guess my hopes came true lol. Although I wonder if he didn’t see anything in the market that appealed him enough to leave

I suspect his agent put out feelers, and the feedback was not worth a change of scenery, jmo. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, TH3 said:

Guess we should have kept John brown as well then.... let me ask you this 

if you could have Lawson or Milano, which would you want? That’s my point, if the contract takes away our ability to keep Williams or sign one of the DE’s being talked about then which makes more sense 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 2

6 minutes ago, TH3 said:

You don't understand. The current team couldn't beat the Chiefs twice! So you need to get rid of everyone on the team and replace them with other people who may or may not be as good!

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

O-line is not plug and play like it used to be 10-15 years ago. A lot of rookie O-line players at all 5 positions struggle at higher rates than they used to. O-line players can take 2-3 years to develop due to lack of run blocking in college and other factors transitioning from college to the pros. I think it is possible the Bills still go O-line with that pick, if D.Williams just gets a ludicrous offer or they still sign D.Williams but draft a Mongo replacement who can kick out 3 years from now. 

The Bills could and should still make a big offer to D.Williams, I wouldn't want to trust the second most important O-line position to a rookie even a first rounder. 

I agree with some of what you say. However, you offset money year to year. Just like paying Diggs while Josh is on a rookie deal. EVERY position should be, and has been, applied by "winning organizations" over the years in this way. I'd welcome it. jmo

1 minute ago, jeremy2020 said:

You don't understand. The current team couldn't beat the Chiefs twice! So you need to get rid of everyone on the team and replace them with other people who may or may not be as good!

The Chiefs aren't going to be the same. They won't be as deep. Their roster is weakening. 

• Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, Jerboski said:

Guess we should have kept John brown as well then.... let me ask you this 

if you could have Lawson or Milano, which would you want? That’s my point, if the contract takes away our ability to keep Williams or sign one of the DE’s being talked about then which makes more sense 

Williams got crushed in the Chiefs game

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The flashy great pass rusher would make all the difference in this defense.... 

What if they're high on Epenesa taking the next step. 

Addison is unfairly judged on here. 

But a Carl Lawson, Yanick , etc. Would be great , obviously Addison would be cut.

Hughes,Mario, Daryl Johnson , AJ and a rookie isn't bad at all though imo. Just hope the young guys can make a jump!

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Jerboski said:

nice man, leave out the playoff game? Come on... the entire point of this off-season is to close the gap with the chiefs 

you could still get one of the pass rushers but I’m sorry I don’t love the idea of starting a rookie tackle to protect our franchise... I would much rather pay Williams and a proven pass rusher and take my chances finding the next linebacker in the draft than trying to find a future RT to protect our franchise 

Ok so they were 3-3 without him and 12-1 within him including the playoffs? Does that really change my point? I normally don’t include playoff game information or stats because it’s its own animal. 

Your gripe this entire back and forth has been about the defense with Milano not being good enough to stop KC... so now you want to scrap Milano in favor of someone unproven that could set the defense back and introduce a new pass rusher that gets defense back to the level Milano provides? Instead of keeping Milano and adding a proven pass rusher to elevate the defense... when it was very clear that our offense wasn’t the issue... but now you introduce the idea that you’re worried about the RT position so much the defense doesn’t matter that much? 

We’re not closing the gap with KC on offense... we’re closing the gap on defense... 

2 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Nope nobody said that 

simply asked if this is going to prevent Williams or a pass rusher 

both more informant and valuable than Milano 

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The Chiefs aren't going to be the same. They won't be as deep. Their roster is weakening. 

Ya, you could say the Chiefs aren't closing the gap on tampa bay. I think I saw someone say that in another thread. 

1 minute ago, Jerboski said:

Nope nobody said that 

Informant?! Is he informing on the mob? That seems dangerous and makes it seem unlikely he'll play a full 16 games on account of sleeping with the fishes. 

1 minute ago, Jerboski said:

Nope nobody said that 

Depending on the offers Williams gets it may or may not have made a difference anyway the bills might have signed who they could actually sign for the money they want to pay maybe Williams offers are ridiculous We don’t know yet we will find out soon

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Ok so they were 3-3 without him and 12-1 within him including the playoffs? Does that really change my point? I normally don’t include playoff game information or stats because it’s its own animal. 

Your gripe this entire back and forth has been about the defense with Milano not being good enough to stop KC... so now you want to scrap Milano in favor of someone unproven that could set the defense back and introduce a new pass rusher that gets defense back to the level Milano provides? Instead of keeping Milano and adding a proven pass rusher to elevate the defense... when it was very clear that our offense wasn’t the issue... but now you introduce the idea that you’re worried about the RT position so much the defense doesn’t matter that much? 

We’re not closing the gap with KC on offense... we’re closing the gap on defense... 

I’ve been pretty consistent 

priorities this off-season:

protect the franchise (Williams) 

rush the passer (proven DE)

again this isn’t hard 

22 minutes ago, Jerboski said:

To not land one of the DE’s would be pretty disappointing in my opinion 

you are basically repeating last year, it was good but to take the next step the DL needs help rushing the passer 

want to stop mahomes, get him on the move and hit often... bucs blueprint is right there 

Exactly why I’m advocating to use the money on the DL, specifically for  guys like Lawson or Yannick 

put them with jerry and Oliver... I think we could see a dominant DL getting after qb’s

Pipe down and chug your process juice 

giphy.gif?cid=82a1493b6xwba12e9tmo3njt0t

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mykidsdad said:

to be honest it also may speak of the player. i think he is an odd duck. he has some sort of vow of poverty. im not making it up.

It’s not a poverty vow in the slightest, he is just a minimalist when it comes to material possessions, (doesn’t waste his money on crap that’s gonna be in a land fill in year or two). Matt is gonna die a rich man, after living a full life, good on him! 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Jerboski said:

Nope nobody said that 

Dude your right,  i said 7-8 mllion tops for Milano and after he and his agent seen the mass flooding of players being released he comes back for 11mllion.  Too much for an average to good LB,  has be been to the pro bowl yet?  Bills LB'S were a worse in the NFL at covering TE'S

Edited by Niagara Dude
  • Vomit 1
  • Dislike 1