Vernon Butler takes pay cut

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I actually thought Butler played well in spots but was not consistant.

A pay cut keeps from adding a hole on a super bowl caliber team while giving us cap relief.   We are already bloodletting at other spots as it is.

Isn’t inconsistent his total career? But this is whatever. He made a couple of plays but I didn’t really notice him most games.  But he’s young. 

4 hours ago, Buftex said:

It's funny that everyone sees Star was the "missing piece" from the D-line in 2020, when many wanted him cut in 2019!

Funny how many seem to complain about the 1 techniques on the team.  The run game issues are not solely on the 1 tech and that

position will never have big stats.  That's not the gig.  Also funny folks think the men who run a team as their livelihood would keep

Butler over Jefferson just because.  I gather they thought Butler played better, stats be damned.  Also, he took that pay cut.

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, whatdrought said:

It was a 6 million hit before, right? Gotta hope it’s at least in the 2-3 range now. Don’t love keeping him at Jefferson’s expense. 

Well, we don’t know what went on.  Maybe Butler was more willing to do the pay cut.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Buftex said:

It's funny that everyone sees Star was the "missing piece" from the D-line in 2020, when many wanted him cut in 2019!

100% this. And Dion Dawkins is a guard and so is Cordy Glenn. Duke Williams should play tight end, and so on and so forth. The rage was that Star was expendable because Horrible Harry was something, and I never saw it. I think Phillips is our worst defensive lineman right now, but he seems to be a message board hero. Now its Edmunds who needs to move etc, and once again we will all be wrong about him because the simple fact is that players develop. And just like Dion did, Edmunds will prove his worth and blow up. 

I am in the minority here, but I thought Butler played pretty well for what it appears he was asked to do. He was overpaid, but now he’s hopefully in a better pay range. There is still upside there. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

100% this. And Dion Dawkins is a guard and so is Cordy Glenn. Duke Williams should play tight end, and so on and so forth. The rage was that Star was expendable because Horrible Harry was something, and I never saw it. I think Phillips is our worst defensive lineman right now, but he seems to be a message board hero. Now its Edmunds who needs to move etc, and once again we will all be wrong about him because the simple fact is that players develop. And just like Dion did, Edmunds will prove his worth and blow up. 

I am in the minority here, but I thought Butler played pretty well for what it appears he was asked to do. He was overpaid, but now he’s hopefully in a better pay range. There is still upside there. 

Star isn't some irreplaceable force against the run, I've seen him get blown way off the ball plenty of times. We only missed him because we had no 1-techs and had to play pure slashers/penetrators out of position. Star is a replacement-level 1T which is what we needed-- Ed Oliver actually somehow holds his ground vs. double teams better than Star does but Oliver has actual potential so it's no bueno to waste his talent in such a role. 

9 hours ago, vincec said:

I thought Jefferson was better than Butler last season, so on the basis of that I wish that they had restructured Jefferson and cut Butler. But maybe Jefferson wasn't willing.

Reduction, not restructure. Restructure just means you push the cap down the road.  Now if he earns the incentives back, that’s fine.  I forget he was primarily a 3 technique guy so thank you for sharing.  Since he took the cut, it sounds like a good decision to play opposite of Star, and rotate with Oliver.  The key is what can be done opposite if Hughes.  I was in favor of Addison, but he had a down year.  Can he come back to the four years prior to 2020, or can he be replaced and cut?  I don’t know, but I’m expecting more moves from Beane.  He’s not dumb.  His end of year conference screamed he wante upgrades at TE, Edge Rush, and the running game.

14 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Good move. Now cut Addison and get younger on the DL

The fact that nothing has happened on Addison; reduction, restructure, or cut tells me they are targeting a couple of different players that are upgrades at DE.  If any of them are to be signed, about 5 minutes prior to signing the new guy, Addison will be cut to free up the $$.  If they strike out on any and all of their targeted players, then likely Addison returns either on a reduction or restructure or maybe then same deal. 

Typically on reductions or restructures you give the player something up front in return, either some guaranteed money or convert salary to signing bonus.  But you don't want to do do that unless you are certain that you are keeping the player, so for now may not hear anything.

Cue the post in about 2 hours announcing a restructure or something on Addison LOL

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Dawkins and Glenn turned out to be solid, top half of league left tackles..........but indeed, they could have been All Pro level guards.........so let's not lump that in with the Duke Williams to TE talk.    As for Edmunds.......he was an OLB at VA Tech and that's where he should have stayed.    See the difference between Haason Reddick this past season as an edge versus him playing off the ball more.    He went from cut candidate to franchise tag candidate.

I agree on Butler though.    And IMO they basically held auditions for the 1T position during the season and Butler was the only one who did what was asked of him.........which was mostly about "want-to" because even an undersized 3T could give you some quality snaps at DT1T with the heavy rotation they were using.   Butler took one for the team.......he had to know a Lotulelei-esque stat-line wasn't going to be good for his financial bottom line.

• Like (+1) 2

23 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Exactly he's a penetrating DT not a take on blockers NT, there's a difference. Butler was signed to replace Jordan Phillips and when Star didn't return we kinda forced him to be the big man in the middle yet that's not what he's all about. 

But he's versatile enough to play that role if needed. We know how much McD values versatility.

I like Butler and like you said,  he'll be at his normal role now , behind Oliver in the DL rotation.  

20 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

It’s not gonna be very minimum people that are expecting that are going to be disappointed

Some poor weather fans eyeroll.pngdeserve to be disappointed.  They are more happy that way. 

Well maybe not deserve but hard to find someone good with power cords and alligator clips.

4 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Precedent*

2 hours ago, transient said:

I sooooo want to make a comment about this on the main board, but rules are rules. :lol:

You know when I wrote the post I spelled it wrong, it gave me 3 or 4 auto correct options.  I selected one, even then I looked at it, kind of thought, this doesn't exactly look right, but Auto Correct would never make a mistake.  So hit the send button!

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Some poor weather fans eyeroll.pngdeserve to be disappointed.  They are more happy that way. 

Well maybe not deserve but hard to find someone good with power cords and alligator clips.

The whole " fair weather fans" terminology comes from people who only come to the games when the conditions are accommodating.

Where are your season tickets again? 

Nothing wrong with being a tv viewing only fan but don't start throwing around the insults about buy-in when you ain't buyin'.

9 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Thanks for posting, good insight!

The summary at the end about Butler not really having a true position in the Bills scheme (he's probably best suited to be a 3-4 DE IMO) makes me wonder if he should try to lose 20-25 pounds to get down closer to 300 and maybe gain some speed and agility to back up Oliver at 3-Tech. Right now, he looks like a 1-Tech at 330 lbs, but that's not really his skill set. Idk something I'd consider proposing if I was on the coaching staff...

17 hours ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

Thanks for posting, good insight!

The summary at the end about Butler not really having a true position in the Bills scheme (he's probably best suited to be a 3-4 DE IMO) makes me wonder if he should try to lose 20-25 pounds to get down closer to 300 and maybe gain some speed and agility to back up Oliver at 3-Tech. Right now, he looks like a 1-Tech at 330 lbs, but that's not really his skill set. Idk something I'd consider proposing if I was on the coaching staff...

I think the intent was always have him back up the 1Tech, just like Jordan Phillips. 3Tech was supposed to be Star and Harry.

We have 1Techs for days, even after Jefferson’s release. 

On 3/10/2021 at 4:12 PM, The Jokeman said:

I'm not apologizing for him as I'd rather see him cut then kept as think Oliver, Zimmer and player X better options. That said I can recognize the difference between a guy that's better suited to play one vs other position. As not all DTs are the same. I mean the beloved Kyle Williams was over 300 too but I'd never ask him to play the nose as that's just not in his skill set.

I agree about Kyle.  He had great quickness getting off the ball and causing disruption in the opposing teams backfield.  He was an awesome player.  Hopefully Ed Oliver can start showing more of those Kyle Williams traits next season.  

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Apparently the guys taking pay cuts are doing ao in exchange for having their 2021 salary guaranteed meaning they are a lock to be on the roster...Morse, Addison and Butler so far.

Spotrac just updated the pay cut for Addison and Butler and their Dead Money stayed the same.

At least that's as of now.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

2 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Spotrac just updated the pay cut for Addison and Butler and their Dead Money stayed the same.

At least that's as of now.

On WGR a guest from Cover1 said they learned the salaries were being fully guaranteed next year only in exchange for the pay cuts. Said they are roster locks next year but it doesn't kick the can down the road like a restructure would or affect anything after this year.

Honestly kind of genius by Beane with the market flooded with players this year and cap numbers so low...players are told we will guarantee you at this number which is still likely higher than what they could get if they were cut this year on the open market.

Edited by Big Turk

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

On WGR a guest from Cover1 said they learned the salaries were being fully guaranteed next year only in exchange for the pay cut. Said they are roster locks next year but it doesn't kick the can down the road like a restructure would or affect anything after this year.

We'll have to wait to see I guess.  Spotrac has Butler still as a FA next year and no change to Addison's guaranteed money for 2021 and 2022.

Thanks for your info!

On 3/11/2021 at 11:52 AM, ColoradoBills said:

Just because Butler takes a pay cut doesn't mean he is a lock for making the team.

A lot of crazy is going to happen during this years FA season.

It depends upon what the pay cut involves.  Cutting him would have given us $1.5M dead cap.  Morse deal involved a swap for substantial guaranteed salary per Overthecap.  If similar deals were involved in the Addison and Butler pay cuts, it becomes more cap-prohibitive to cut them.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It depends upon what the pay cut involves.  Cutting him would have given us $1.5M dead cap.  Morse deal involved a swap for substantial guaranteed salary per Overthecap.  If similar deals were involved in the Addison and Butler pay cuts, it becomes more cap-prohibitive to cut them.

I just posted in another thread that as of now Spotrac shows the pay cuts for Addison and Butler without any increase in guarantees.