The free agent defensive class is really good

17 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

The free agent defensive class is really good

"This is not going to be a free agency that we can be as aggressive. We've been aggressive with that because we've built up the resources and you can only have so many drafts. At the end of the day, we still want to draft, develop and sign our own, and we're getting to that point where now we don't have to go out and add pieces from free agency, we've got to see how many of the guys we can retain.

"We'll fill in here and there some holes, but I would not anticipate any blockbuster moves of Stef(on) Diggs type, or some of the moves we made the year before in free agency. It's really gonna be plugging some holes depending on who we lose, and then the onus is on us to really to have a strong draft."

Who was it who said this again? Oh, yeah. Brandon Beane.

Edited by Thurman#1

26 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

But they won't be fighting for the expensive guys. Even less so than normal. Beane has already said so.

Beane didn't say they wouldn't.  He was just keeping expectations low (would not "anticipate" any).  He would want to bring them in at the right price.

JJ Watt!  Add him to the list!  Would look nice in a Bills uni.

We are in the time frame where you kind of have to go for it.  Once Allen's big deal comes in and starts hitting the cap for $40+ Million it's going to be tough to build a strong team on both sides of the ball.  They need to work to get under the cap now by cutting mediocre or dead weight players (mainly along both lines) and then allocate it for difference makers on the D line, other holes.  Draft/develop along the O line as well.. possibly restructure Morse.

Being conservative doesn't really get you anywhere, KC is going to re-tool and be back.  And we weren't particularly close to them this year..  Need a great draft and I'd like at least 1 top end FA signing on defense..(maybe Hendrickson)  - Hole fill with some mid range guys as well.

17 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I guess it depends on his price tag. 
Was he that good or benefitting from the other guys on the line? 
I didn’t watch him much minus one game he did dominate. I joke we have a bunch of #2 defensive linemen and we need a elite #1 so all our #2’s are freed up to make more plays. 
I hope Beane is floating our first round pick to these cap strapped teams trying to snag an elite pass rusher similar to how he got Diggs. Someone already signed up to an extension 

Good questions, I didn't watch enough Saints games to know the answers. There DT's seem solid, but are they elite?

What I did see in the games I watched was a guy in his 4th year who got his first chance to start at RDE, and he completely dominated. He's significantly stouter than any DE we currently have, and his  speed and bull rush look elite. At 6' 4" 270lbs he ran a 4.65 40 at the combine. 

I' can't argue with sending a 1st for an elite DE. Hendrickson is 26, so we'd be looking at a 3 or 4 year contact right in his prime. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Artem Lipatov said:

Tampa showed what you must have to beat Mahomes: relentless pass rush.

We had zero pass rush and KC looked unstoppable. 

It’s a priority #1 for off-season to fix it

I think it was as much david/white tbh.  Their ability to take away what they wanted to do with RPOs and kelce had a lot to do with it.

18 hours ago, Motorin' said:

Trey Hendrickson was savage this year. He'd be my #1 DE target. 

I was looking at his career stats along with what he did this year.   Apparently he never came close to having as big of a year as he did this year.  He had 13.5 sacks this year and 4.5 is his second highest in his 4 year career.

He also happened to get 3 sacks in two games against the Bucs and 2 against the Chiefs when he faced them this year.   

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Magox said:

I was looking at his career stats along with what he did this year.   Apparently he never came close to having as big of a year as he did this year.  He had 13.5 sacks this year and 4.5 is his second highest in his 4 year career.

He also happened to get 3 sacks in two games against the Bucs and 2 against the Chiefs when he faced them this year.   

He saw significant playing time this year for the first time due to the injury to Marcus Davenport. He's a former 3rd round pick of the Patriots, and they dealt him to the Saints as part of the trade for Brandon Cooks in 2017. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Here’s a top 12 just to start with 

1) Von Miller, Denver Broncos
2) Leonard Williams, New York Giants - Would love but probably to expensive 
3) Melvin Ingram, Los Angeles Chargers- I love him as a player but I don't think he fits our D scheme. He'll probably return to LA
4) Matt Judon, Baltimore Ravens
5) Bud Dupree, Pittsburgh Steelers

6) Shaquil Barrett, Tampa Bay Buccaneers- Would be an incredible get but Tampa isn't letting him go.
7) Jadeveon Clowney, Tennessee Titans
8 Justin Simmons, Denver Broncos
9) Justin Houston, Indianapolis Colts

10) Yannick Ngakoue, Baltimore Ravens- I'm so so on him. He had a chance to really show he deserved his contract this year and he didn't do it. 
11) Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals
12) Tyrone Crawford, Dallas Cowboys

20 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/02/11/shaq-barrett-is-ready-to-break-the-bank-now/

Tampa has a lot of guys to sign... David, Godwin, Barrett, Gronk, Suh.  Whitehead the Safety is a Restricted Free Agent.  I’d go after all of their defenders and Gronk.  

Outside of Gronk and Suh these young guys have to be really excited. What's a better time and scenario to be an UFA than after winning a SB? You got the 💍 now it's time to get paid. Unfortunately the cap limit will be a bummer for them. Still a favorable situation to be in.

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

Yannick and Watt please :)

Never been big on Yannick. Watt would be interesting in rotation/pass rushing situations. Don't think he's the full time monster he once was. 

11 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Beane didn't say they wouldn't.  He was just keeping expectations low (would not "anticipate" any).  He would want to bring them in at the right price.

JJ Watt!  Add him to the list!  Would look nice in a Bills uni.

Yes, he's saying don't anticipate things because they're not going to happen. He doesn't "keep expectations low." Or high or anything else. He's always been open and honest. 

You're right that if the price is right, he'd be willing to pick up spectacular bargains that fell in his laps. But the odds on it happening are miniscule.

What we'll do, we'll bring in a bunch of guys to fill holes, low- and maybe a few mid-priced guys. The money isn't there for more.

Edited by Thurman#1

On 2/11/2021 at 6:46 PM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Hey is Roman Okwara a FA or not? I was eyeing him up earlier this week, and posted it in another thread.... but Spotrac info made it look like he was and wasnt at the same time

12 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

"This is not going to be a free agency that we can be as aggressive. We've been aggressive with that because we've built up the resources and you can only have so many drafts. At the end of the day, we still want to draft, develop and sign our own, and we're getting to that point where now we don't have to go out and add pieces from free agency, we've got to see how many of the guys we can retain.

"We'll fill in here and there some holes, but I would not anticipate any blockbuster moves of Stef(on) Diggs type, or some of the moves we made the year before in free agency. It's really gonna be plugging some holes depending on who we lose, and then the onus is on us to really to have a strong draft."

Who was it who said this again? Oh, yeah. Brandon Beane.

Beane strikes you as a guy thats going to unwaveringly tip his hand to the rest of the league? lol

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/11/2021 at 6:46 PM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Just now was the first time I ever actually looked at Spotrac.com. I've known about it second hand for a while, but finally followed the link myself. 

Thanks for linking it yet again. What an effing site. This list/spreadsheet alone is so comprehensive and analytic...it triggers that long dormant Madden Franchise Mode GM in me. On Madden 2005, when I was a grad student, I built a very long term Bills franchise, but I would simulate entire season schedules to skip ahead to the part I preferred: the offseason team-building stuff. Scouting and drafting and signing players and then developing them (and eventually flipping them for draft capital in the final years of their contracts). 

The two-year FA player comps for Romeo Okwara (DET FA) are especially interesting because the short list includes both Shaq Lawson and Jordan Phillips in their two years before leaving the Bills in free agency. Phillips tellingly grades out poorly overall compared to his similarly valued peers. His .31 hurry per game is abysmal. Okwara's hurries-per-game REALLY jump out (2.17) against that list (which also includes Harry Anderson and Carl Nassib). 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 2/11/2021 at 7:04 PM, 78thealltimegreat said:

Here’s a top 12 just to start with 

1) Von Miller, Denver Broncos
2) Leonard Williams, New York Giants
3) Melvin Ingram, Los Angeles Chargers
4) Matt Judon, Baltimore Ravens
5) Bud Dupree, Pittsburgh Steelers
6) Shaquil Barrett, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
7) Jadeveon Clowney, Tennessee Titans
8 Justin Simmons, Denver Broncos
9) Justin Houston, Indianapolis Colts
10) Yannick Ngakoue, Baltimore Ravens
11) Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals
12) Tyrone Crawford, Dallas Cowboys

Yet no Milano in that group,  amazing that he thinks of himself so highly in a year when there is less cap space and more players to be cut and available.  

8 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Just now was the first time I ever actually looked at Spotrac.com. I've known about it second hand for a while, but finally followed the link myself. 

Thanks for linking it yet again. What an effing site. This list/spreadsheet alone is so comprehensive and analytic...it triggers that long dormant Madden Franchise Mode GM in me. On Madden 2005, when I was a grad student, I built a very long term Bills franchise, but I would simulate entire season schedules to skip ahead to the part I preferred: the offseason team-building stuff. Scouting and drafting and signing players and then developing them (and eventually flipping them for draft capital in the final years of their contracts). 

The two-year FA player comps for Romeo Okwara (DET FA) are especially interesting because the short list includes both Shaq Lawson and Jordan Phillips in their two years before leaving the Bills in free agency. Phillips tellingly grades out poorly overall compared to his similarly valued peers. His .31 hurry per game is abysmal. Okwara's hurries-per-game REALLY jump out (2.17) against that list (which also includes Harry Anderson and Carl Nassib). 

oh, wow— you just brought back some memories. We may be around the same age. I used to love building franchises and developing players in Madden 2004. Totally forgot about that. Alas, with marriage, kids, and a job— my career as a Madden GM/HC is long over! 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think we won’t spend much, although if we free up a bunch of space, that’s a possibility. I’m hoping for veterans that either A.) Will accept less for a shot at a Championship.. or B.) Are willing to sign a cheap one year prove it deal.

Guys like JJ Watt, Bud Dupree, Jadeveon Clowney, Justin Houston, Solomon Thomas (cheap deal near vet min), Tyson Alualu, Malik Hooker..

Offense: AJ Green, Mitchell Trubisky, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Russell Okung (backup/depth), Cordarelle Patterson, Jacob Hollister, Rex Burkhead, Leonard Fournette, LeVeon Bell, DeDe Westbrook.

Defense does seem to have more quality players readily available.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Here’s another name if Milano breaks the bank... Zack Cunningham.  If Texans are in tank mode, I’d be willing to give up at least a 2nd rounder for him.  His contract is very reasonable the next 3 years ($8-10m per year over 3 years).  

I’d rather pay milano and keep the 4 year 1M contract that a 2nd rd pick receives  Cunningham’s contract is 10, 11 then 12.5 mill. Makes no sense to trade a 2nd rd pick for him

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’d rather pay milano and keep the 4 year 1M contract that a 2nd rd pick receives  Cunningham’s contract is 10, 11 then 12.5 mill. Makes no sense to trade a 2nd rd pick for him

I’d part with a 2nd round pick to pay Cunningham $10m per year for 4 years with only $10m guaranteed than Milano $14m per year with probably at least double the guaranteed money.  Cunningham is the better player.  

Just now, BuffaloRebound said:

I’d part with a 2nd round pick to pay Cunningham $10m per year for 4 years with only $10m guaranteed than Milano $14m per year with probably at least double the guaranteed money.  Cunningham is the better player.  

Milano + a 2nd pick is a better player imo 

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Here’s another name if Milano breaks the bank... Zack Cunningham.  If Texans are in tank mode, I’d be willing to give up at least a 2nd rounder for him.  His contract is very reasonable the next 3 years ($8-10m per year over 3 years).  

Why don’t Cunningham go to ownership and ask for his release too👀

18 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yes, he's saying don't anticipate things because they're not going to happen. He doesn't "keep expectations low." Or high or anything else. He's always been open and honest. 

You're right that if the price is right, he'd be willing to pick up spectacular bargains that fell in his laps. But the odds on it happening are miniscule.

What we'll do, we'll bring in a bunch of guys to fill holes, low- and maybe a few mid-priced guys. The money isn't there for more.

There are reports that the Bills have already inquired about JJ Watt.  One Vegas odds maker had the Bills as 4th most likely to get him.

Beane chose his words carefully and "doesn't anticipate" doesn't mean "doesn't try" or "won't happen".  The value, fit, cost, all need to be worked out. 

Doesn't mean the Bills aren't trying for Watt/Hendrickson/ or J Smith (which coincides with my wish list - quit being a negative nancy on my wish list) - just means don't count on it happening.

6 hours ago, NewEra said:

Milano + a 2nd pick is a better player imo 

Couldn’t agree more ..people forget that a draft pick you are giving up is not this abstract thing... a 2nd round pick is a more than likely good player with  hopes of turning into an above average player that  you go without for 4 years

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Couldn’t agree more ..people forget that a draft pick you are giving up is not this abstract thing... a 2nd round pick is a more than likely good player with  hopes of turning into an above average player that  you go without for 4 years

👍🏻 So important.  The foundation of the team.  

15 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

oh, wow— you just brought back some memories. We may be around the same age. I used to love building franchises and developing players in Madden 2004. Totally forgot about that. Alas, with marriage, kids, and a job— my career as a Madden GM/HC is long over! 

Haven't played in over a dozen years. Growing up is lame. I wonder how the gameplay is these days?

On 2/13/2021 at 3:31 PM, Jerboski said:

Let Milano walk and sign the best coverage linebacker in football 

And who is that in your opinion?

1 hour ago, gobills404 said:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2021-free-agency-top-100-free-agents

I guess they somehow think we're gonna be able to create enough room to pay those guys $66 million per year.

I know, right? Crazy talk.

16 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

And who is that in your opinion?

While I know this player is far from a carbon copy of the Milano / David type linebacker, I think Tyus Bowser could be an underrated free agent acquisition. Definitely wouldn't cost as much as the aforementioned FA linebackers, but I think if given the chance could perform at a very high level within this defense

21 minutes ago, stuvian said:

we're in win now mode. We won't draft high enough to land a star pass rusher for a long time. I think Beane makes a run at Von Miller or Shaq Barrett. 

Yeah...,I tend to agree with this.  While there are a handful of pass rushers that I like pegged to go 20-60, I don’t think any of them will be the big difference maker our D needs.  

im hoping we cut Addison, butler and Jefferson and add a true difference maker in FA.  Jerry, FA pass rusher, AJ and Daryl johnson at DE-  Ed, star, Harrison, Zimmer and a draft pick at DT

• Like (+1) 3