The free agent defensive class is really good

18 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Pass rusher is #1 on my list. But if we’re being realistic here until we see buffalos cuts or restructures we already need to replace 3 starters and none of them are pass rushers or defensive linemen. 

So if we are going to use a large portion of our available cap on a defensive linemen who is starting at RG and RT? Who replaces Milano? 

They can manipulate the cap and make the base salary low this year and higher in future years.  Im usually not a fan of this, but the cap is going to balloon up in a year or 2 so won't be too big of a deal to do so.  I would do it for a top pass rusher for sure.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/02/11/shaq-barrett-is-ready-to-break-the-bank-now/

Tampa has a lot of guys to sign... David, Godwin, Barrett, Gronk, Suh.  Whitehead the Safety is a Restricted Free Agent.  I’d go after all of their defenders and Gronk.  

I'd love any of David, Barrett or Godwin. Pass on Suh and the Hell with Gronk. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

Pass rusher is #1 on my list. But if we’re being realistic here until we see buffalos cuts or restructures we already need to replace 3 starters and none of them are pass rushers or defensive linemen. 

So if we are going to use a large portion of our available cap on a defensive linemen who is starting at RG and RT? Who replaces Milano? 

Trey Hendrickson was savage this year. He'd be my #1 DE target. 

• Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, Gambit said:

Tampa would be insane to let Barrett go. If he hits FA, I hope we go all in.

I remember last year in the lead up to the SB I saw a Barrett interview and they asked him if he'd be happy on the franchise tag and he said something to the tune of living in Tampa beat being in Buffalo.   I've since assumed he wasn't an option. :lol:   I also saw him on tv today and he said both sides were very optimistic that a deal would get done to keep him in Tampa.

1 hour ago, Gambit said:

Tampa would be insane to let Barrett go. If he hits FA, I hope we go all in.

They do have a bunch of very good players that they need to sign this offseason but they should have enough space to bring them all back if they want to. I’ll be surprised if they let him out the door but you never really know. 

Edited by DCOrange

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I remember last year in the lead up to the SB I saw a Barrett interview and they asked him if he'd be happy on the franchise tag and he said something to the tune of living in Tampa beat being in Buffalo.   I've since assumed he wasn't an option. :lol:   I also saw him on tv today and he said both sides were very optimistic that a deal would get done to keep him in Tampa.

Well, I can't say I'm surprised by his answer. Just wishful thinking I suppose. 

7 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Trey Hendrickson was savage this year. He'd be my #1 DE target. 

I guess it depends on his price tag. 
Was he that good or benefitting from the other guys on the line? 
I didn’t watch him much minus one game he did dominate. I joke we have a bunch of #2 defensive linemen and we need a elite #1 so all our #2’s are freed up to make more plays. 
I hope Beane is floating our first round pick to these cap strapped teams trying to snag an elite pass rusher similar to how he got Diggs. Someone already signed up to an extension 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Why is von Miller Not at the top of everybody’s wish lists is it because people think he will be too expensive?

Speaking for myself, yeah, pretty much. Expensive and old. If we are going to pay top dollar, I'd rather it be for a guy coming out of his rookie contract (or close enough to it like Dupree).

Hughes and Addison are 32 and 33, Miller is 31. We need to get much younger at the position so we can nail it down for the future.

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Here’s a top 12 just to start with 

1) Von Miller, Denver Broncos
2) Leonard Williams, New York Giants
3) Melvin Ingram, Los Angeles Chargers
4) Matt Judon, Baltimore Ravens
5) Bud Dupree, Pittsburgh Steelers
6) Shaquil Barrett, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
7) Jadeveon Clowney, Tennessee Titans
8 Justin Simmons, Denver Broncos
9) Justin Houston, Indianapolis Colts
10) Yannick Ngakoue, Baltimore Ravens
11) Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals
12) Tyrone Crawford, Dallas Cowboys

Give me 3 through 6 and switch to the 3-4.

cut edwards, edmunds, and the dudes we picked up last year. Then draft some big ol NT. 

Too bad it won’t ever happen. 

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Give me 3 through 6 and switch to the 3-4.

cut edwards, edmunds, and the dudes we picked up last year. Then draft some big ol NT. 

Too bad it won’t ever happen. 

They are not cutting Edmunds because it would make no sense. They have groomed a 23 year old to be the MLB of the present and future.  While I, and many others, think he would be better suited as an OLB, he has had a lot of time and resources dedicated to him as  a MLB and they won’t cut bait and run on him.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I guess it depends on his price tag. 
Was he that good or benefitting from the other guys on the line? 
I didn’t watch him much minus one game he did dominate. I joke we have a bunch of #2 defensive linemen and we need a elite #1 so all our #2’s are freed up to make more plays. 
I hope Beane is floating our first round pick to these cap strapped teams trying to snag an elite pass rusher similar to how he got Diggs. Someone already signed up to an extension 

I would be good with a trade like the diggs one plus it takes a DE time to develop only just a few hit the ground running and I think we’re in year 1 out of 2 let’s try to win it all in the next 2 years 

8 hours ago, 97bills said:

I would be good with a trade like the diggs one plus it takes a DE time to develop only just a few hit the ground running and I think we’re in year 1 out of 2 let’s try to win it all in the next 2 years 

Trading for a proven guy would be huge. If Epenesa takes a step forward paired with a newly acquired elite pass rusher along with Hughes and Darryl Johnson and maybe even Addison should be very productive. Add in the double teams newly acquired guy would demand should help free up Oliver too

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Im sure some guys will get tagged but it’s a lot harder to tag guys if the cap is going down $15-20m.  Does look like there’s gonna be more edge rushers available than usual.  Ngakoue, Dupree, Judon, Barrett look like they’re gonna hit the market.  

yep.  franchise-tagging guys won't really happen this year.   You could see lots more trades for picks than normal to dump salary and manage the cap.  

16 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

You always have guys that get new contracts and stuff but it seems like moving a little money around and changing some contracts we should be able to pluck a nice free agent or two that can play right away even with how tight we are against the cap...the Jags, Jets, and Dolphins can’t sign them all 

First, when we move a little money around and change some contracts ... that will allow us to sign our rookie draft class, to re-sign whoever we re-sign of Milano, Feliciano and Darryl Williams and the others we'll have to re-sign such as Bojorquez, Barkley or a replacement, Levi Wallace, Taiwan Jones, Yeldon or a replacement, Marlowe or a replacement, McKenzie or a replacement and Boettger or a replacement.

Enough with the idea that a few wiggles and we'll be rolling in it. 

We won't.

But will we bring in a few low-level FAs? Bet on it. Maybe even a mid-level guy or two. Absolutely.

But they won't be fighting for the expensive guys. Even less so than normal. Beane has already said so.

But yeah, worth talking about which bargain guys to bring in. There will be a ton of them out there this year.