OPINION: Mitch Trubisky should be Bills' backup quarterback

HOUSE

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Not a bad idea from a Bills perspective, but he'll be able to try for a starting job somewhere so that's where he'll go.

Eh.  4 years, didn't pick up a 5th year option and no extension.  He's basically blaine gabbert/blake bortles now.  Sure he's younger, but the word is out.

Having said that, I'd probably be OK with bringing him in as a backup.

Edited by dneveu
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Eh.  4 years, didn't pick up a 5th year option and no extension.  He's basically blaine gabbert/blake bortles now.  Sure he's younger, but the word is out.

Having said that, I'd probably be OK with bringing him in as a backup.

Dont get me wrong, I never said he should be a starter. Just that he will end up with a chance at a starting job. Mostly due to the lack of better QB talent.

He's definitely a quality backup 👍

• Agree 1

This is a big QB carousel year and there will definitely be multiple fringe starters like him available for a backup spot.  The Bills should definitely pick one up if possible.  If Allen goes down for the season, The Bills are f#cked, but if he went down for 4 or 5 games a decent backup would valuable to make sure they could stay in the playoff race.  Im going to say no on a "Mariotta type deal"  though

• Agree 2

I think Trubisky still has a lot of upside that wasn’t unlocked. Just my opinion but I think Nagy is a pathetic coach. I was hoping Mitch would end up on Carolina or San Fran I think those are 2 places he could have a lot of success. He’s never going to hit elite status probably but I think he’s a lot better than the last couple Chicago seasons. 

I think there’s zero chance he has to settle for a backup deal with zero shot of winning a job. Going to be a lot of opportunities to at least compete to win a job for him. 

Edited by Rc2catch
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Dont get me wrong, I never said he should be a starter. Just that he will end up with a chance at a starting job. Mostly due to the lack of better QB talent.

He's definitely a quality backup 👍

Yeah, could end up somewhere like miami (no watson), houston (no watson), indy (assuming they miss on other QBs).  Then theres a bunch of other teams who just dont have QBs at all like NO, Washington, etc.  

I'm all for Mitch or Darnold. Problem is I think we are a year or two away. Some teams still will see some promise in them as a potential starter. Need them to completely bust and cement themselves at a back up QB salary first. Of course both these guys are likely going to command top dollar in the back up QB market. So we would have to come to terms with that. But yeah, I'm not that confident in Barkley should we need to call on him when the stakes are high.

5 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I'm all for Mitch or Darnold. Problem is I think we are a year or two away. Some teams still will see some promise in them as a potential starter. Need them to completely bust and cement themselves at a back up QB salary first. Of course both these guys are likely going to command top dollar in the back up QB market. So we would have to come to terms with that. But yeah, I'm not that confident in Barkley should we need to call on him when the stakes are high.

If Josh Allen continues his evil ways as a running QB, Trubisky could sneak that mustache into a few games

21 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I think Trubisky still has a lot of upside that wasn’t unlocked. Just my opinion but I think Nagy is a pathetic coach. I was hoping Mitch would end up on Carolina or San Fran I think those are 2 places he could have a lot of success. He’s never going to hit elite status probably but I think he’s a lot better than the last couple Chicago seasons. 

I think there’s zero chance he has to settle for a backup deal with zero shot of winning a job. Going to be a lot of opportunities to at least compete to win a job for him. 

In the 3 years with Nagy, the Bears are 28-24 with a +122 point differential.  In Fox’s 3 seasons, they were 14-34 with a -238 differential.  I don’t know that Nagy is great, but it’s hard for me to understand how a pathetic coach was handed a team that had just bungled a draft and made them respectable.  Put Watson or Mahomes on that team instead of Trubisky, and things look very different.

Just now, Billl said:

In the 3 years with Nagy, the Bears are 28-24 with a +122 point differential.  In Fox’s 3 seasons, they were 14-34 with a -238 differential.  I don’t know that Nagy is great, but it’s hard for me to understand how a pathetic coach was handed a team that had just bungled a draft and made them respectable.  Put Watson or Mahomes on that team instead of Trubisky, and things look very different.

I disagree.I think Nagy is a terrible schemer and he has held his offense back. Putting any top 5 quarterback there will definitely change things. I think his defenses have been pretty nice and kept them in some games. His first year the offense looked fantastic. However it looked to me like the league figured him out and he’s never been able to adjust. Of course that’s just my opinion. He’s supposed to be a good offensive mind so I kinda lost a lot of respect for him when he fired his whole offensive staff last year. Felt like he scapegoated them for the offensive struggles 

• Thank you (+1) 1

You can't have a. top 5 starting QB and a top 5 backup QB (unless he's on a rookie deal like New England and Jimmy G). It's hard to pull off financially but more than that it makes no sense for the backup. Trubisky is a back end starter, high end #2 - why would he want to go somewhere in his mid 20s where he has zero chance to compete?

45 minutes ago, Antonio said:

It is not a bad idea, but we can use that kind of money to fill more important positions. 

I tend to agree with this right now in a salary cap squeeze year.

Josh is already the whole team basically. He goes down, we go down. And I guess I'm ok with that. Now if somebody wants to be a backup for affordable salary (Fitz, Mitch, etc) I'm all for it- but this year may just ride with what we have in Barkley and maybe even let Fromm out of his covid bubble and see what he can do!

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

Sorry, I couldn't resist

By Sneaky Joe WGR 550 SportsRadio

https://www.radio.com/wgr550/sports/bills/mitch-trubisky-should-be-bills-backup-quarterback

Dang, HOUSE— you’re actually posting something serious? 😁

No Chance the Bills sign MT. Too much money. I don’t think they will have the money to re-sign Barkley. 

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

The only way Trubisky can be our backup QB is if he’s capable of winning 4/5 games as a backup

If you can’t do that, then you throw out that idea and move on to your next option. 

He's 29-21 as a starter.  These takes are en fuego!!

He's in a bad situation.  His HC is a flash in the pan bum who pulled him for Foles (who promptly went 2-5)His FO went all in on Mack 3 years ago and, other than padding his stats, that move hasn't made a dent on this team's fortunes (and their Defense is now back to 14th in points allowed).  They have 1 WR over 625 yards. 1 rusher over 250 yards. 

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He's in a bad situation.  His HC is a flash in the pan bum who pulled him for Foles (who promptly went 2-5)His FO went all in on Mack 3 years ago and, other than padding his stats, that move hasn't made a dent on this team's fortunes (and their Defense is now back to 14th in points allowed).  They have 1 WR over 625 yards. 1 rusher over 250 yards. 

He is not bad and will forever be the guy taken before Watson. His play on playoff game is not why that team lost and I think if we could get him cheaply I would love it.

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I was being sarcastic. It’s a joke from a bad take from another thread. 

I was advocating for Trubisky as the Bills backup back in October/November. Before he came back in to start and managed to make himself $10-$12M a year. 

54 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

The only way Trubisky can be our backup QB is if he’s capable of winning 4/5 games as a backup? 

If you can’t do that, then you throw out that idea and move on to your next option. 

Well he won plenty of games as a starter.

7 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

He is not bad and will forever be the guy taken before Watson. His play on playoff game is not why that team lost and I think if we could get him cheaply I would love it.

5 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

I was being sarcastic. It’s a joke from a bad take from another thread. 

I was advocating for Trubisky as the Bills backup back in October/November. Before he came back in to start and managed to make himself $10-$12M a year. 

My point was that Trubisky likely isn't seen a s a backup by other GMs who may be looking for a starter.

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

My point was that Trubisky likely isn't seen a s a backup by other GMs who may be looking for a starter.

We agree then. He played himself out of becoming a backup down the stretch. 

I thought he was on a similar path to Bridgewater and Winston where they had to take deals as a backup QBs even though they’re really not. 

9 minutes ago, MJS said:

Well he won plenty of games as a starter.

I was being sarcastic. It’s a joke from a bad take from another thread. 

I was advocating for Trubisky as the Bills backup back in October/November. Before he came back in to start and managed to make himself $10-$12M a year. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Flip Johnson said:

You can't have a. top 5 starting QB and a top 5 backup QB 

In the olden days you could. Think Montana-Young, Kelly-Reich, or Elway-Kubiak. I miss those days.

Edited by chongli
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

I don't understand why everyone is so anxious to push Barkley out.

Well it's because some have no confidence in him if Josh goes down(knock on wood). I know it's highly unlikely, but as a few others have mentioned before I'd love to get Fitz back in a Bills uni and backing him up.

1 minute ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Well it's because some have no confidence in him if Josh goes down(knock on wood). I know it's highly unlikely, but as a few others have mentioned before I'd love to get Fitz back in a Bills uni and backing him up.

I have always been of the opinion that you could throw all the backup QBs into a bag, pick one out at random, and he'd have just as good a shot as the next guy in winning a particular game.  Barkley is fine; he has great rapport with Josh and knows what Daboll wants by now.  And at some point he'll get replaced by Fromm.  

Just now, oldmanfan said:

I have always been of the opinion that you could throw all the backup QBs into a bag, pick one out at random, and he'd have just as good a shot as the next guy in winning a particular game.  Barkley is fine; he has great rapport with Josh and knows what Daboll wants by now.  And at some point he'll get replaced by Fromm.  

Meh, I don't know, but speaking for myself if it ever comes to a point where the QB2 has to play for 3-4 games, I'd definitely feel more confident on Fitz as a back up QB than Barkley. That's just me though.

• Like (+1) 1

So how much does it cost to get Truebiscuit? more than the 1.5m to 2m to keep Barkley?

Is he going to be able to help Josh with his homework(breaking down film) like Matt does?

Is he going to be a great teammate putting his ego aside?

Its been said a thousand times...What Matt brings is irreplaceable and apparently his wife too.

If Josh goes down the Bills are ______ 

I like the Tom Moore quote that someone posted last week(I will change 18 to 17 here for our purposes

If 17 goes down we are ______ we don't practice______ ;)

Going to be honest, I've never seen much sense in paying a backup Quarterback.  If your number one guy goes down for a long stretch, the likelihood that a average to below average Quarterback wins you enough games to justify the millions you pay him is minuscule.   I'd rather take the 5-8 million you're going to spend on Mitchell Trubisky and use it one someone who makes a difference when Josh is healthy.

Point being, if #17 goes down you're screwed anyways.   If Josh spends the majority of the year on the bench I'd rather have the high draft pick to use for when Josh gets back, then waste millions for when he isnt.

5 hours ago, HOUSE said:

If Josh Allen continues his evil ways as a running QB, Trubisky could sneak that mustache into a few games

Yep. Reason why it could benefit the Bills to pay for a premium back up QB. But right now the priority needs to be building a starting roster capable of beating the Chiefs. After two games this year we really are not close.