Why on earth isn't Sean McDermott a legit Coach of the Year candidate?

Logic

Hearing NFL analysts discuss the topic of who should win Coach of the Year, and checking a few betting websites to see the odds....I can't help but wonder: Why isn't Sean McDermott more of a serious candidate for the award?

Coach McDermott has overseen an 11-3 season and the first division championship in 25 years. He is beloved by his players for the culture he has instilled in the team. He has made the playoffs 3 out of his 4 seasons in Buffalo.

I see names like Brian Flores, Ron Rivera, and Kevin Stefanski listed above McDermott in the odds. All I can ask is...why?! Is getting a winning season out of a previously bad team the prerequisite? How could Rivera (whose team has a losing record), Flores (whose team might not even make the playoffs), and Stefanski (whose team likely isn't going to win their division) all be seen as more legitimate contenders for this honor than McDermott, whose team is incredibly impressive, well-balanced, division-winning, and who absolutely owe a ton of their success specifically to his coaching? 

I just don't get it.

• Like (+1) 5

The Bills were expected to be good. That's where McDermott has votes against him.

The Dolphins weren't expected to be anywhere near 9-5 and Flores gets all the credit for that....... according to the people who will be voting for COTY.

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

How do you know he isn’t?😳

I mentioned that most betting odds websites don't show him as a particularly serious candidate.

He is rarely discussed as being within the top 5 likeliest winners.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1

I wouldn't pay too much attention to beauty pageants like MVP or Coach of the Year. It's the NFL, and like any other sports league on the planet, the currency of excellence are trophies and championships. Let Brian Flores get some credit for turning the fish from a gag reel into a feel good story, nobody anywhere will forget McD if he makes the Bills 1-4 in the Superbowl this year.  Then we can talk about him getting us to .500. 

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, njbuff said:

The Bills were expected to be good. That's where McDermott has votes against him.

The Dolphins weren't expected to be anywhere near 9-5 and Flores gets all the credit for that....... according to the people who will be voting for COTY.

They are expected to be good because of what he has done and what he has put in place.  You don't get pentalized for doing your job well.

7 minutes ago, JoshAllenReceipts said:

McDermott is a Defensive Coach (basically a glorified Defensive Coordinator) riding the coattails of Josh Allen.

I'm fairly certain you're speaking mostly tongue-in-cheek, as part of your Josh Allen Fanboy gimmick.

If not, well....that's a ridiculous thing to say.

6 minutes ago, JoshAllenReceipts said:

McDermott is a Defensive Coach (basically a glorified Defensive Coordinator) riding the coattails of Josh Allen.

Seriously? Good head coaches are like CEOs that deal with all aspects of the team on and off the field. This says you have zero idea of how hard it is to successfully be a head coach in the league with everything on their plate.

• Like (+1) 1

For me anyways coach of the year is who did the most with the least. Browns have very little talent on defense and it’s a little shocking to see them win this much, Miami wasn’t expected to compete this year similar to when we backed in with mcd year one, Indy I think has done quite well, lot of teams doing well this year and looking dominant at times. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DQW87 said:

They are expected to be good because of what he has done and what he has put in place.  You don't get pentalized for doing your job well.

In these sort of awards you often do. McDermott has won the division with a team people expected to win the division. I think he deserves consideration. I think Rivera might win which I think is as much about the story as anything - his cancer battle, Smith's return etc - not that he would get my vote. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

In these sort of awards you often do. McDermott has won the division with a team people expected to win the division. I think he deserves consideration. I think Rivera might win which I think is as much about the story as anything - his cancer battle, Smith's return etc - not that he would get my vote. 

I think a lot of people thought Buffalo had a good shot to win the division for the first time in 25 years, but I'd hardly say they were expected to.  No one knew how New England would be with Cam, and after 3 weeks everyone thought they'd be great.  No one knew if the Dolphins would stick with Fitz or go with Tua, but knew they'd be way bettert han the past. The only reason Buffalo was thought to have a good shot was the pieces McDermott and Beane put in place and the players they decided to let go because they didn't fit the system.  Isn't that all coaching knowing who will do what you plan on teaching?

Just now, DQW87 said:

I think a lot of people thought Buffalo had a good shot to win the division for the first time in 25 years, but I'd hardly say they were expected to.  No one knew how New England would be with Cam, and after 3 weeks everyone thought they'd be great.  No one knew if the Dolphins would stick with Fitz or go with Tua, but knew they'd be way bettert han the past. The only reason Buffalo was thought to have a good shot was the pieces McDermott and Beane put in place and the players they decided to let go because they didn't fit the system.  Isn't that all coaching knowing who will do what you plan on teaching?

Vegas had us as faves and the majority of the talking heads did too. The Bills were absolutely expected to win the East. Anything else this season would have been failure IMO. To be honest I don't consider this season a success without a playoff win. 

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

I wouldn't pay too much attention to beauty pageants like MVP or Coach of the Year. It's the NFL, and like any other sports league on the planet, the currency of excellence are trophies and championships. Let Brian Flores get some credit for turning the fish from a gag reel into a feel good story, nobody anywhere will forget McD if he makes the Bills 1-4 in the Superbowl this year.  Then we can talk about him getting us to .500. 

Yep.  Also, all this talk about league MVP is going to seem kind of silly when Allen is Super Bowl MVP.

• Like (+1) 1

You either have to have the best record in football or significantly exceed expectations. While the Bills are certainly exceeding expectations this year, they aren't exceeding expectations as much as Miami. That team wasn't supposed to be competitive this year.

Ron Rivera is a contender because he has Washington in playoff contention with a pretty lousy roster, all while undergoing cancer treatment. It's pretty remarkable even if it only takes 7 wins to win that division.

McDermott is in the conversation, and I think he's widely regarded as a top 10 coach (just not always in this board). If we finish 13-3, maybe he's included as more serious contender for the award.

Let's just all be thankful it's not Rex Ryan, Chan Gailey, Dick Jauron, or Gregg Williams at the helm anymore.

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Vegas had us as faves and the majority of the talking heads did too. The Bills were absolutely expected to win the East. Anything else this season would have been failure IMO. To be honest I don't consider this season a success without a playoff win. 

Agreed, and this is the price of success. Heightened expectations which are realistic. They are elite. Are they perfect? No, but no team is. They might be the underdog in a matchup vs KC but it wouldn't take a freak series of fluke plays to result in a Bills win. If all 3 phases show up they can beat anyone, handily.

They don't even need a 2000 Ravens style shutdown defense, if that is even possible anymore. The defense I've seen since the Seattle game is all they need, everything else is gravy. A defense capable of generating some turnovers to tip the scales in a shootout.

But back to what Gunner said, if the Bills lose in the wild card round it will be a kick in the groin for sure.

• Like (+1) 1

For all the talk of the Dolphins and Flores, they had multiple 1st round picks and spent a lot of money on the defensive side of the ball in FA. Everyone knew they would be better. 9-5? A bit of a surprise, but some of the talking heads said they would win the division and not the Bills. Our schedules have been pretty brutal this year in the AFCE which is why McDermott should be near the top, as well as Flores. The overall success of this team should clearly give McDermott an edge over him though. There is a long list right now and a couple of games to go. Reid, Rivera, McDermott, Flores, Lafleur, Payton, Tomlin, Vrabel, and maybe even Stefanski. We'll see how the final two weeks play out. 

Edited by H2o

2 minutes ago, Process said:

For me, it has to be Flores regardless if they make the playoffs or not. How that team, with one of the worst offenses in the league on paper, has a winning record is beyond me.

Their defense is pretty awesome. 

6 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

To me this isn't as much as reflection on McDermott as it is on Allen, Diggs, Beane, and maybe Daboll and Fraser.  I think this reflects that this is a very talented team, and usually the coach of the year award goes to a coach who gets a lot out of a less talented team.

yeah- his coach of the year work was his first season. 

37 minutes ago, DQW87 said:

People get penalized all the time for doing their jobs well...they get more work piled on, they are given more responsibilities (all with your boss's expectations of not giving you a raise or a promotion).  Getting penalized for doing your job well is not something that is new, and not something that applies just to sports

13 minutes ago, MPL said:

You either have to have the best record in football or significantly exceed expectations. While the Bills are certainly exceeding expectations this year, they aren't exceeding expectations as much as Miami. That team wasn't supposed to be competitive this year.

Ron Rivera is a contender because he has Washington in playoff contention with a pretty lousy roster, all while undergoing cancer treatment. It's pretty remarkable even if it only takes 7 wins to win that division.

McDermott is in the conversation, and I think he's widely regarded as a top 10 coach (just not always in this board). If we finish 13-3, maybe he's included as more serious contender for the award.

Let's just all be thankful it's not Rex Ryan, Chan Gailey, Dick Jauron, or Gregg Williams at the helm anymore.

This is only true because his division is terrible.  If he was in another division with that record his team would already be eliminated

53 minutes ago, JoshAllenReceipts said:

Your kidding right ? We are love what JA has accomplished but you are under some assumption he’s the only component of this team. Yikes bro!!

48 minutes ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

Belichick has never won this award.  

I'd like for our team to have those same levels of success.  Who gives a crap about any other trophies or awards not named "Lombardi"

• Thank you (+1) 1

He'd pry have to take this team to 14-2 or something like Harbaugh did last year.  There's also pry a perception that Daboll has just as much to do with the success of this team with our jump in offense.  I don't know what the odds are but my guess would be Stefanski, Flores, Tomlin, and Rivera in that order.  Then there's pry the Reid, Payton, McDermott, LaFleur tier.