AFC Playoff Picture: Buffalo Bills Rooting Interests, Week 15

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/platform/amp/2020/12/17/22184772/afc-playoff-picture-buffalo-bills-rooting-interests-week-15

Buffalo Bills (10-3) over Denver Broncos (5-8)

Saturday, December 19 4:30 p.m. EST

The Bills can run to 13-3 and likely secure themselves the two seed in the AFC.

That would mean they host two playoff games before the AFC Championship but also means they wouldn’t have to face the Chiefs until that game, either. Buffalo clinches the AFC East with a win and I’m sure they would rather do it with a W than with a Dolphins loss.

Cincinnati Bengals (2-10-1) over Pittsburgh Steelers (11-2) Monday Night Football

Detroit Lions over Tennessee Titans (9-4)
Sunday, December 20 1:00 p.m. EST

New Orleans Saints over Kansas City Chiefs (12-1)
Sunday, December 20 4:25 p.m. EST  
Not w/o Drew. 

New England Patriots (6-7) over Miami Dolphins (8-5)  Sunday, December 20 1:00 p.m. EST

Jacksonville Jaguars (1-12) over Baltimore Ravens (8-5)  Sunday, December 20 1:00 p.m. EST 

Houston Texans (4-9) over Indianapolis Colts (9-4)

New York Giants over Cleveland Browns (9-4)
Sunday Night Football. 

that’s some list.  

makes some games worth watching 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

20 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/platform/amp/2020/12/17/22184772/afc-playoff-picture-buffalo-bills-rooting-interests-week-15

That would mean they host two playoff games before the AFC Championship but also means they wouldn’t have to face the Chiefs until that game, either. Buffalo clinches the AFC East with a win and I’m sure they would rather do it with a W than with a Dolphins loss.

Cincinnati Bengals (2-10-1) over Pittsburgh Steelers (11-2) Monday Night Football

Not w/o Drew. 

New England Patriots (6-7) over Miami Dolphins (8-5)  Sunday, December 20 1:00 p.m. EST

Jacksonville Jaguars (1-12) over Baltimore Ravens (8-5)  Sunday, December 20 1:00 p.m. EST 

Sunday Night Football. 

that’s some list.  

So the likelihood:

Buffalo Bills (10-3) over Denver Broncos (5-8) => Yes

Cincinnati Bengals (2-10-1) over Pittsburgh Steelers (11-2) => Very low

Detroit Lions over Tennessee Titans (9-4) => Low

New Orleans Saints over Kansas City Chiefs (12-1) => Even (But it doesn't matter, the odds of catching KC are very slim)

New England Patriots (6-7) over Miami Dolphins (8-5) => The way Cam is playing, Low

Jacksonville Jaguars (1-12) over Baltimore Ravens (8-5)  => Very low

Houston Texans (4-9) over Indianapolis Colts (9-4) => Even?

New York Giants over Cleveland Browns (9-4) => Low

So, the likely best the Bills can do this weekend is WIN and hope to get an upset or two. Best to just concentrate on TAKING CARE OF WHAT YOU CAN CONTROL = the game before you!

Edited by CSBill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I havent yet lost hope on a bye (ya ya it is 1-2% probability) - so I'm going to root for Steelers over the Bengals - only if the Steelers win 2 out a 3, we win 3 and the Chiefs win 1 will we have a three way tie for the bye (which we will win). Would be happy to root against the Steelers Week 16 onwards if KC beats Saints in week 15 (then the probability for a bye even with our win over the Broncos becomes a small fraction of 1%). 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, CSBill said:

So the likelihood:

Buffalo Bills (10-3) over Denver Broncos (5-8) => Yes

Cincinnati Bengals (2-10-1) over Pittsburgh Steelers (11-2) => Very low

Detroit Lions over Tennessee Titans (9-4) => Low

New Orleans Saints over Kansas City Chiefs (12-1) => Even (But it doesn't matter, the odds of catching KC are very slim)

New England Patriots (6-7) over Miami Dolphins (8-5) => The way Cam is playing, Low

Jacksonville Jaguars (1-12) over Baltimore Ravens (8-5)  => Very low

Houston Texans (4-9) over Indianapolis Colts (9-4) => Even?

New York Giants over Cleveland Browns (9-4) => Low

So, the likely best the Bills can do this weekend, is WIN and hope to get an upset or two. Best to just concentrate on TAKING CARE OF WHAT YOU CAN CONTROL = the game before you!

I agree with all, except I believe Belicheck will figure out a way to beat the Fins. Damn, they all have pretty easy games though, in general. 

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, scuba guy said:

I like being in Dec and talking playoff football and seeing what we have to due not what draft spot we have

except that the Football season is almost over 

8 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

I havent yet lost hope on a bye (ya ya it is 1-2% probability) - so I'm going to root for Steelers over the Bengals - only if the Steelers win 2 out a 3, we win 3 and the Chiefs win 1 will we have a three way tie for the bye (which we will win). Would be happy to root against the Steelers Week 16 onwards if KC beats Saints in week 15 (then the probability for a bye even with our win over the Broncos becomes a small fraction of 1%). 

Me thinks you have that backwards 

Bengals over Steelers 

the Bills can get the 2 seed and host 2 playoff games!!!

6 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I agree with all, except I believe Belicheck will figure out a way to beat the Fins. Damn, they all have pretty easy games though, in general. 

Belicheat kills young QBs hopes. 

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, CSBill said:

This game isn't going to matter because we're going to manhandle the Broncos on Saturday, but Belichick simply doesn't lose to rookie QBs.  I actually kind of like New England in this game.

• Like (+1) 2

The division race is over. 

We want the dolphins to win at least the next two games. Whatever it takes to get them into the playoffs in hopes we match up with them

They would be the easiest matchup, by far, in the first round. Assuming the Raiders don't get in. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Bengals over Steelers 

I think he means he needs the Steelers to be tied with us so he doesn't want them to lose to Bengals and potentially lose out falling behind us giving us the 2 seed but if we tie the Chiefs we lose because of the head to head and don't get the 1 seed. Honestly Bills just need to win everything else will fall how it falls.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, fergie's ire said:

I'd like to see the Patriots lose to Dolphins.  They still technically have a chance to make the playoffs and I'd like to see that go away before they play us....then maybe the Dolphins can be eliminated by week 17 which will give us an easier path to 13-3.

If the Bills play Bills football they will be 13-3 regardless of what our opposition is or isn't playing for.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 2

the patriots have a real shot of beating the fish.

belichik went to LA and shut out the chargers, and their offense is much, much better than the fishes will ever be. The chargers o-line is better, the QB is much better, and their RB and receivers are better.

plus, we all know he likes to destroy rookie QBs.

37 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

The last game depends on whether the #2 seed is in play at that point. 

It's odd. This is a decision imo. I think you shoot the the #2 seed. However if you settle for the 3 seed you could get a week of rest. Makes  that a discussion imo. 

13 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

except that the Football season is almost over 

Bengals over Steelers 

Belicheat kills young QBs hopes. 

With no fans , there is no home field advantage this year, so I say rest starters the final week even if the # 2 seed is available.   seeing the stadium empty is very sad and it really detracts from watching the game IMO.   I want to win games , not see the team in my deserted patch vs. someone else's deserted patch.   

Bye weeks make a big difference to the starters during the season.. having one right before a playoff game would have the same effect, I believe.  

I'm not going to invest too much emotional energy into "rooting interests", because I know that my vibe affects the outcome not-one-bit-in-the-slightest.

BUT...

When it comes to playoff seeding, I simply hope the Bills host a warm weather team.  It's been a mild autumn thus far in Upstate New York, but that schitt's over now.  Welcome to the Great White North.

12 hours ago, Success said:

Re:  rooting for the Patriots.   Can't.

Like the fish are a better choice. In games like this I root for whatever benefits the Bills. NE winning helps the Bills this week. Of course if Buffalo wins on Saturday then the Pats-Fins game means nothing.

4 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Like the fish are a better choice. In games like this I root for whatever benefits the Bills. NE winning helps the Bills this week. Of course if Buffalo wins on Saturday then the Pats-Fins game means nothing.

It means a lot to me when the Pats lose.

go Miami. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Damn those Chargers.  Anything and I mean anything that opens the door for the Ravens and Patriots, I'm against.  I wanted to see the Raiders in the playoffs as they were the weakest team of the lot.  

42 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

With no fans , there is no home field advantage this year, so I say rest starters the final week even if the # 2 seed is available.   seeing the stadium empty is very sad and it really detracts from watching the game IMO.   I want to win games , not see the team in my deserted patch vs. someone else's deserted patch.   

Bye weeks make a big difference to the starters during the season.. having one right before a playoff game would have the same effect, I believe.  

WRT Crown noise,  you are right.

The visiting team still has to travel and play in (what some announcers still call a hostile environment) "not so familiar" stadiums.  

4 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

go Miami. 

lesser of two weevils

Miami losing could be crushes the hopes of the Fish Fans.

3 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

go Miami. 

Miami will always be the #1 enemy for Bills fans. The 20 straight losses in the 70's as well as the Kelly-Marino years when the rivalry really heated up. For me personally living in NJ its the Jets but most Bills fans will tell you Miami tops the hated list. I hate the Pats as well with Belichick and Brady dominating the Bills so its nice to see the Pats struggle this year. As I mentioned in games like this root for whatever benefits the Bills. I have a feeling it won't matter as Buffalo will take care of business on Saturday.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Greg S said:

Miami will always be the #1 enemy for Bills fans. The 20 straight losses in the 70's as well as the Kelly-Marino years when the rivalry really heated up. For me personally living in NJ its the Jets but most Bills fans will tell you Miami tops the hated list. I hate the Pats as well with Belichick and Brady dominating the Bills so its nice to see the Pats struggle this year. As I mentioned in games like this root for whatever benefits the Bills. I have a feeling it won't matter as Buffalo will take care of business on Saturday.

As a young fan who wasn’t alive for any of that, the Patriots absolutely are the #1 enemy for me. Sure I know about the history, but it doesn’t affect me nearly as much as having to watch the patriots beat down the Bills just about twice a year growing up.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Five teams I hope Josh dominates in his career ala Brady:  Miami (no we have not forgotten or forgiven the 70's), NE (same, except it has been 2 decades of misery), SF (childhood team that did not pick him), Pittsburgh, and Denver (played next door and got no interest from a team needing a QB).

15 hours ago, BillsFanSD said:

This game isn't going to matter because we're going to manhandle the Broncos on Saturday, but Belichick simply doesn't lose to rookie QBs.  I actually kind of like New England in this game.

Agreed they matchup well with Miami.  Miami Strength on D is the secondary and Cam sucks anyway.  The Pats can run the ball that includes Cam and can give Miami problems.  

Parker and Gisecki are hurt.  Gaskin still out.  BB vs rookie QBs I like New England here....so long as they still care.  

31 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Looking at the other games you realize this week is ALL about the Bills taking care of their own business tomorrow. The other games are all pretty predictable, barring some major upset. I don’t want to back in! 
Go Bills....FINISH THIS! 

This is what I think McD is hammering home this week.

"We need to win the division and celebrate it in that locker room on Saturday......hopefully not over Zoom on Sunday."  

24 minutes ago, wjag said:

Five teams I hope Josh dominates in his career ala Brady:  Miami (no we have not forgotten or forgiven the 70's), NE (same, except it has been 2 decades of misery), SF (childhood team that did not pick him), Pittsburgh, and Denver (played next door and got no interest from a team needing a QB).

I would add the Jets to your list as well. Divisional rival and just to keep their d-bag fanbase quiet and miserable.

3 hours ago, Greg S said:

I lived through the Miami dominance - but can't agree w/ that 1st line at all.  The Patriots long ago took the pole position on that.

There really isn't a comparison, imo.  I don't even really hate Miami anymore; I've rooted for them against the Pats too much at this point.  What the Patriots have done over the past 20 years as it relates to the Bills has very few comparisons in sports history.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Success said:

I lived through the Miami dominance - but can't agree w/ that 1st line at all.  The Patriots long ago took the pole position on that.

There really isn't a comparison, imo.  I don't even really hate Miami anymore; I've rooted for them against the Pats too much at this point.  What the Patriots have done over the past 20 years as it relates to the Bills has very few comparisons in sports history.  

Good point on the last 20 years with NE but their dynasty is dead. Bill won't be there forever and looking at the division I would say Buffalo and Miami will battling it out for the division for the next few years. If the hatred for Miami "cooled" I guarantee you it will heat up again since both teams are/or will be good in the near future.

19 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Not w/o Drew. 

Sunday Night Football. 

that’s some list.  

Am literally printing this out for easy reference this weekend next to the TV, lol. What a time to be a Bills fan!!! 

• Like (+1) 1