Week 15: Bills at Broncos

YoloinOhio

Interesting that Football Outsiders has Broncos with a 0.00% chance to make the playoffs, but the official standings don't have them eliminated.

I'm not scared of the Broncos, but I figure them being eliminated before the game might reduce their fight slightly. Otherwise, they're going to be motivated to run the table, thinking they might be able to sneak in. They'll also get a boost from their fancy uniforms.

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

i really want the browns to eliminate the ravens. The ravens are exactly the sort of type of team I don’t want to see in the playoffs.  Good running game, defense, and coaching. 

I see you left out the most important position 

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, freddyjj said:

For all Rochester bills fans, per the WHAM Newscast the game will not be broadcast over the air.  NFL Network only?  News to me

It will be available from the nfl app though.  So get your streams ready or your phone connected to your TV.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, TFBillsfan said:

Broncos have some playmakers on offense and good defense. Bills need to jump out early on them and play well in all three phases to continue the momentum they’ve built. Let’s go win the division this Saturday!

Not really. 

I mean everyone has playmakers. They are NFL players. But in terms of true NFL caliber threats, I entirely disagree. 

Start at the top with the QB. Raw talent but erratic and turnover prone. McD will be all over this guy. With our experienced secondary, I can’t see him winning this chess match. 

The RBs are multiple, and can play, sure. But the Buffalo defense has faced plenty of great RBs this year and held their own (CEH excluded). If we lose because of Melvin Gordon or Phillip Lindsey, we’ve got bigger problems. 

Tim Patrick has been their best guy and he’s JAG on most teams. KJ Hamler, has for argument’s sake, out-shined Juedy (whose been a let down IMO) He’s more of a speed guy, and I don’t expect them to give up the deep play. 

Maybe Jerry Juedy shows up. Maybe it’s been the QB play. Maybe it’s a rookie curve. Who knows. But right now he compares (from a production standpoint) to guys like Chase Claypool or Brandon Aiyuk...guys who in back to back weeks the bills have held in check.

Noah Fant is a young talent but really seems always dinged up and disappears at times. Again, not exactly the Kelce, Gisecki, Waller gauntlet of TEs we ran through earlier this year. 

Add this all up with the fact that the Bills defense has consistently improved the last few weeks, their offense really does not move the needle for me at all. 

They’re a young offense with loads of raw talent and room to grow. But it isn’t happening this year, and definitely not this week. 

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Not really. 

I mean everyone has playmakers. They are NFL players. But in terms of true NFL caliber threats, I entirely disagree. 

Start at the top with the QB. Raw talent but erratic and turnover prone. McD will be all over this guy. With our experienced secondary, I can’t see him winning this chess match. 

Lock looked really great last week— nearly perfect (280 yards and 4 TD’s). I haven’t seen him enough of him, but my buddy who is a Broncos’ Fan is really high on him. 

26 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Lock looked really great last week— nearly perfect (280 yards and 4 TD’s). I haven’t seen him enough of him, but my buddy who is a Broncos’ Fan is really high on him. 

He’s super raw. Think a poor man’s version of rookie year Josh.

He’s arguably the worst QB we’ve played all year, but he’s gone 3-0 against the AFCE this year... it’s no gimme.

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

If they clinch the East, is it like, possible for "some" fans to meet them at the airport? The absolute hardest part of all of this for me is not being able to share my gratitude for what they've done in this otherwise abysmal year. 

8 hours ago, Dukestreetking said:

Imo, great topic/question. I realize it's been discussed here and there, but may deserve it's own thread???

Just for ex., and aside from airport: possible to "gather" at/near stadium for Fish game? For a practice?

Objective: show player appreciation as they drive up.

Assumptions: outdoors, at place xyz, not controlled by Pegulas, proper protocols, yada, yada.

Probably a pipe dream, but there's hella creative people here, so who knows?

Could we just decorate the fence to show what this season has meant. Seems a bit like HS but could look good if you cover a large enough section.

12 hours ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

If they clinch the East, is it like, possible for "some" fans to meet them at the airport? The absolute hardest part of all of this for me is not being able to share my gratitude for what they've done in this otherwise abysmal year. 

I had that thought and figured maybe fans could do videos like the prime time games and tweet them at the Bills.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

I wonder if the Bills have 12 wins.....will McD rest the critical guys like the Jets game last year.  If you want a run in the playoffs, best to heal those who can benefit as well as protect key guys (Like Allen and Diggs)  So, depending on seeding.......normally (not 2020), I would be rooting for best record so we would get max home games for the Bills Mafia.  But, in this season where the stadiums are really TV studios', a home game has less advantage imho.  So, resting the troops seems logical to me.

For sure, thats a huge plus.  I'd activate Fromm, Hodgins, Duke, Cam Lewis  etc.  Having a week off for our rookies might help too, they say its hard to adjust to the length of the pro schedule.

Also handing the Fins a win on a platter hurts their draft slot next year in every round.

2 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

For sure, thats a huge plus.  I'd activate Fromm, Hodgins, Duke, Cam Lewis  etc.  Having a week off for our rookies might help too, they say its hard to adjust to the length of the pro schedule.

Also handing the Fins a win on a platter hurts their draft slot next year in every round.

And an outside chance it gets them in the playoffs over the Ravens if they win out.  

Hmmmm.....but it might cost us the 2 seed.  

Yea I don't care.  2 or 3 if it gets the Ravens out.  

14 hours ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

Didn't the Broncos

and their super great defense

lose to Panthers?

No they beat em.  And did play KC hard.  Beat Miami.  

Lock is really streaky, he had a great last month of 2019 season but that injury this year screwed him up.  Hes been back a month now and the team can be dangerous.  Melvin and Lindsay run hard, this isnt the Jets we're playing here.

Lock reminds me of Josh late in his rookie year, he flashes greatness but the lapses can be ugly.

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

The Bills just need to go take care of their business in Denver if they don't get blinded by those all orange uniforms Denver will be wearing.

Steelers fans could've made the same statement last week getting blinded by those hideous reds.  

5 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Interesting that Football Outsiders has Broncos with a 0.00% chance to make the playoffs, but the official standings don't have them eliminated.

I'm not scared of the Broncos, but I figure them being eliminated before the game might reduce their fight slightly. Otherwise, they're going to be motivated to run the table, thinking they might be able to sneak in. They'll also get a boost from their fancy uniforms.

They pry rounded down.  They'd have to have some crazy scenario where the Fins, Ravens, Raiders, and Patriots all go 8-8.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

He’s super raw. Think a poor man’s version of rookie year Josh.

He’s arguably the worst QB we’ve played all year, but he’s gone 3-0 against the AFCE this year... it’s no gimme.

or maybe a poor man’s Jameis? He is an oddity for sure. Big plays and turnovers. 

18 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Feels like we're playing top 10 defenses every week how is that even mathematically possible in a 16 game season lol

Not sure what you’re looking at as Denver is ranked 16th in defensive yards, how most people evaluate defenses, and 23rd in pts. allowed.  That’s not a top 10 defense.  Conversely the Bills are 20th in yards, and 15th in points.  Different fans like different stats, but I prefer pts.

On offense Denver in yards is 25th in yards and 29th in pts.  We are 10th in yards and 9th in pts.  This doesn’t on paper look like a very difficult game.  It doesn’t mean it’s a pushover and an easy win.  We have to be up for every game and even though these next two look like winnable games, I never want a team to take an opponent lightly.  I don’t see McD allowing that to happen.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, frogger said:

I trolled the Broncos’ board, their debate over Josh Allen is really quite entertaining.

It isn’t their fault.  That was the bills fanbase 2 years ago.  When you don’t have a franchise QB, you try to convince yourself the guy your team passed on isn’t a franchise elite QB.  Lots of folks here tried to do that with Mahomes his first year until it was undeniable. 

two more CBs out for Denver means Josh will likely silence his Denver haters this week. I expect a big game. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

i really want the browns to eliminate the ravens. The ravens are exactly the sort of type of team I don’t want to see in the playoffs.  Good running game, defense, and coaching. 

Forget it. The Ravens are getting in. 8-5 now and look at their remaining schedule. They will run the table and finish 11-5.

Jaguars

Giants

at Bengals

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, frogger said:

I trolled the Broncos’ board, their debate over Josh Allen is really quite entertaining.

1 hour ago, Albanybillsbacker said:

It isn’t their fault.  That was the bills fanbase 2 years ago.  When you don’t have a franchise QB, you try to convince yourself the guy your team passed on isn’t a franchise elite QB.  Lots of folks here tried to do that with Mahomes his first year until it was undeniable. 

two more CBs out for Denver means Josh will likely silence his Denver haters this week. I expect a big game. 

they have a whole Josh Allen thread over at the orange mane. And here’s a gem from a dude that clearly has the feel of a complete know-it-all. 
https://www.orangemane.com/forum/orange-mane-discussion/orange-mane-central-discussion/2720603-josh-allen/page10

“Lol - after watching the whole game.

Josh Allen is a product of great team football. Keep in mind Bills had a pick 6 so that offense scored 20.

Here is his stat line

24/43 - 55.8%
238 Yards
5.5 YPA
2 TD
1 Int
77.4 QBR

Diggs accounted for 55% of his yards.

Allen has greatly improved in his short throw accuracy.

The way the Bills OC is able to attack the defense with 1 player (Diggs) all over the field reminds me of how the Patriots scheme (Brandon Marshall, Brandon Lloyd for example)...and what do you know Daboll has experience in NE.

Let me be clear - Allen is not a QB that is even close to elite. He is playing GREAT within the system, and Bills overall team is playing well.

I wish Broncos were healthy so Fangio could expose Allen for his true colors - as he did last year when Allen only completed 15 passes vs Den.

Josh Allen is playing well but he's 100% overhyped.

Anyone who thinks Allen is elite or even close to (right now) - doesn't know what they're watching.

Bills scored 20 points on offense - if Steelers offense produced no one would be talking about how good Allen is.”

.... YIKES. Allen makes plays and throws weekly that only a handful of players can make, that have nothin to do with a “system”. Does the thin air in Denver have an affect on brain cells? 

And then he uses the Broncos game last year to bolster his argument? Josh completely broke their backs with his scrambles outside of “the system” last year while passing for over 200 yds and 2td and then McDermott completely gearing down the offense with 10 full min left in that game. Did Allen even throw a pass after he torched Harris for that bomb at the 11 or 12 min mark?

Also as I’m making this post I’m listening to Solomon Wilcotts on NFL radio talk about how Allen is an elite Qb. So that’s sort of funny. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Forget it. The Ravens are getting in. 8-5 now and look at their remaining schedule. They will run the table and finish 11-5.

Jaguars

Giants

at Bengals

Yep.  They needed to lose last night.  I don't want any part of them.  That was one helluva of a game last night.  

22 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

they have a whole Josh Allen thread over at the orange mane. And here’s a gem from a dude that clearly has the feel of a complete know-it-all. 
https://www.orangemane.com/forum/orange-mane-discussion/orange-mane-central-discussion/2720603-josh-allen/page10

Josh Allen is a product of great team football. Keep in mind Bills had a pick 6 so that offense scored 20.

Here is his stat line

24/43 - 55.8%
238 Yards
5.5 YPA
2 TD
1 Int
77.4 QBR

The way the Bills OC is able to attack the defense with 1 player (Diggs) all over the field reminds me of how the Patriots scheme (Brandon Marshall, Brandon Lloyd for example)...and what do you know Daboll has experience in NE.

Let me be clear - Allen is not a QB that is even close to elite. He is playing GREAT within the system, and Bills overall team is playing well.

I wish Broncos were healthy so Fangio could expose Allen for his true colors - as he did last year when Allen only completed 15 passes vs Den.

Anyone who thinks Allen is elite or even close to (right now) - doesn't know what they're watching.

Bills scored 20 points on offense - if Steelers offense produced no one would be talking about how good Allen is.”

.... YIKES. Allen makes plays and throws weekly that only a handful of players can make, that have nothin to do with a “system”. Does the thin air in Denver have an affect on brain cells? 

And then he uses the Broncos game last year to bolster his argument? Josh completely broke their backs with his scrambles outside of “the system” last year while passing for over 200 yds and 2td and then McDermott completely gearing down the offense with 10 full min left in that game.

Also as I’m making this post I’m listening to Solomon Wilcotts on NFL radio talk about how Allen is an elite Qb. So that’s sort of funny. 

Just drivel.

I love the notion we only scored 20 on the leagues top D. We also ended the game taking a knee in the opponents red zone and were running it down their throats. 

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Here is his stat line

24/43 - 55.8%
238 Yards
5.5 YPA
2 TD
1 Int
77.4 QBR

And then he uses the Broncos game last year to bolster his argument? Josh completely broke their backs with his scrambles outside of “the system” last year while passing for over 200 yds and 2td and then McDermott completely gearing down the offense with 10 full min left in that game. Did Allen even throw a pass after he torched Harris for that bomb at the 11 or 12 min mark?

Was that Bomani Jones?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Keep in mind Bills had a pick 6 so that offense scored 20.

I feel like we should get some credit for the fact that we were in scoring position at the end of the game.  So if you give us those 3 points thats ~ a TD more than the steelers allow on average (all this with us not doing much in the first half).  If you look at it that way its a pretty different performance.

8 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

Its harder than you make it seem.  Since the last 3 of these are not on the roster you could only elevate 2 from the PS and would need to cut someone to make room for the last person.  I agree use Fromm and as many as you can elevate, and maybe some become close contacts so we can elevate more including Dane Jackson?

EDIT: all the ragging on the Bills O on that board caused me to look at our team offense stats.  20 is the fewest 1st downs we've had in a game.  Thats crazy to me.  This team matriculates the ball down field (3rd in total first downs).  

Edited by YattaOkasan
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Not really. 

The RBs are multiple, and can play, sure. But the Buffalo defense has faced plenty of great RBs this year and held their own (CEH excluded). If we lose because of Melvin Gordon or Phillip Lindsey, we’ve got bigger problems. 

Tim Patrick has been their best guy and he’s JAG on most teams. JK Hamler, has for argument’s sake, our played Juedy (whose been a let down IMO) He’s more of a speed guy, and I don’t expect them to give up the deep play. 

Maybe Jerry Juedy shows up. Maybe it’s been the QB play. Maybe it’s a rookie curve. Who knows. But right now he compares (from a production standpoint) to guys like Chase Claypool or Brandon Aiyuk...guys who in back to back weeks the bills have held in check.

Noah Fant is a young talent but really seems always dinged up and disappears at times. Again, not exactly the Kelce, Gisecki, Waller gauntlet of TEs we ran through earlier this year. 

Add this all up with the fact that the Bills defense has consistently improved the last few weeks, their offense really does not move the needle for me at all. 

They’re a young offense with loads of raw talent and room to grow. But it isn’t happening this year, and definitely not this week. 

The Denver Post since my quote was obviously written by somebody who doesn't watch the league. It's a criticism that I make of fans here all the time. Although that guy obviously didn't watch Monday night football last week.

Denver isn't a good team, but it's mostly because Lock has been atrocious. He gets picked off 1 out of every 25 passes or 4 percent of the time. Big picture of this is a buffalo gets up and takes care of business they win this game.

It's a situation that has good playmakers in Fant, Jeudy, Hammer, and Sutton next year. It also has a league average rushing attack with multiple guys and it's pretty well set up for when they actually get a quarterback in there.

Their defense is a little better than the numbers indicate. It's league average in yards, and a little above that in yards per play. They just get hung out on the field a lot because Denver's offense is terrible.

15 minutes ago, y2zipper said:

Denver's offense is terrible.

I disagree with this  They scored 32 last week. Lots of playmakers. Capable running game Drew Lock can play well on a good day. I think they struggle playing from behind because they lack veteran leadership on offense. 

Last week Carolina as they have all season, gave up the deep pass. They won't get that with the Bills. Broncos could totally win, but the Bills look much steadier right now.

4 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

I disagree with this  They scored 32 last week. Lots of playmakers. Capable running game Drew Lock can play well on a good day. I think they struggle playing from behind because they lack veteran leadership on offense. 

Last week Carolina as they have all season, gave up the deep pass. They won't get that with the Bills. Broncos could totally win, but the Bills look much steadier right now.

the broncos went into that game ranked 32 in offensive DVOA. its a very bad offense.

5 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

Don;t use one data point, at least use a trend.  You used good context for the one data point but it still does not tell the tale of the tape.  They are average at best and their record shows them to be below average overall.

24 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

the broncos went into that game ranked 32 in offensive DVOA. its a very bad offense.

22 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

Don;t use one data point, at least use a trend.  You used good context for the one data point but it still does not tell the tale of the tape.  They are average at best and their record shows them to be below average overall.

You're both right. And yet that very bad offense scored 32 points travelling to the east coast. They are a team that in recent years has finished the season well. My point is any given Sunday. Do they scare me? No. Do they have zero weapons and a QB who we know is Incapable. Absolutely not.

Lock was superb at the end of last season. You can say he played a bunch of teams who were lame ducks, you can say he's been terrible this year, that he has turned over the ball all season. All true. But he threw some beauties last year against the Bills and he can again.

I guess the other thing that bothers me here is that this was precisely the narrative surrounding Josh Allen. People wanting to put him in a bracket and say he can't be anything else ignoring his flashes. It's why I'm rooting for guys like Herbert and Lock who were all pegged pre draft by so called experts.

All that said, I expect a Bills win.

Edited by Seoulofstone
Typo

6 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

Denver has scored under 20 seven times in 12 games where they've actually had a quarterback start including the last three. They also turn it over more than anybody else in the league. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

You're both right. And yet that very bad offense scored 32 points travelling to the east coast. They are a team that in recent years has finished the season well. My point is any given Sunday. Do they scare me? No. Do they have zero weapons and a QB who we know is I capable. Absolutely not.

Lock was superb at the end of last season. You can say he played a bunch of teams who were lame ducks, you can say he's been terrible this year, that he has turned over the ball all season. All true. But he threw some beauties last year against the Bills and he can again.

All that said, I expect a Bills win.

I get it. we can lose. but i'm not gonna pump up an awful offense because of one good game vs a below average D. With what our Defense has done against actual good offenses, i fully expect them to handle business this week.

• Like (+1) 2