Josh Allen on Pat Mcafee show at 1225.

Big time Guest, Big Arm, Big Jump, Future of the Franchise-nice intro from Pat

How does he feel going into week 13? Feels really good, 8-3 same as last year but different feeling, trying to win the division. 8 wins won't do it. 

Stay focused. 

Transition from smaller school into NFL- 1st year a whirlwind, but to have offseason off was big change from college. Physically he is different, working hard on changing his mechanics

When he tried to slow his arm down it didn't feel right, had his mechanics digitally mapped so he could  really breakdown his body movements. Hips firing at a different rate. Hand was in front of his hips. 

He feels that being able to decipher  defenses is starting to happen and being able to manipulate players with his eyes based on his understanding of the offense. Daboll throws out any concept Josh doesn't like. 

Pat says everyone was bashing his deep-ball. Says adding Diggs has helped with the deep ball.

Diggs unbelievable, team first guy and nothing been great. Leader on the team. 

Pat not much chatter about the Bills since beginning of the season-Josh likes that. Why not us to win the division, 8 wins doesn't win the division unless your in the NFC EAST LOL

MCD preaches playoff caliber. Following his lead. 

Pat asks what the hell happened in the playoff game, driving and pitching the ball back lol Josh have some care for the damn football-Josh says he has been trying to curve it but when he is in the heat of the moment he is doing whatever he can to make a play. If it worked, Dawson would still be running into the end zone today.

Josh is starting to try and protect his body a bit better when running crazy-says he is hurting a bit more than he should feel, but not really steadfast in that he wants to slide, he has been hurt just staying the pocket too.

Edited by loveorhatembillsfan4life
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

He’s easily become the voice and persona of the Bills and Buffalo and he’s fantastic in interviews. 

It has me believing Pegs et al will do some creative financing to sign him to his next Super contract. Creative like what Kraft & NE* did to keep Brady happy while providing enough ca$h to afford other great players.

He's Clark Kent until he sees a nearby phone booth!

Wait. ARE there any phone booths?😳

• Like (+1) 3

Awesome. I love Josh being able to joke around without worrying about what he say. McAfee is a good interviewer, and his demeanor is great for getting athletes to open up with. AJ Hawk’s cigar smoking always cracks me up. There’s lots of dudes who would look at home smoking a cigar while chatting it up, but Hawk just looks silly. 

Edited by SirAndrew

44 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

He’s easily become the voice and persona of the Bills and Buffalo and he’s fantastic in interviews. 

It has me believing Pegs et al will do some creative financing to sign him to his next Super contract. Creative like what Kraft & NE* did to keep Brady happy while providing enough ca$h to afford other great players.

He's Clark Kent until he sees a nearby phone booth!

Wait. ARE there any phone booths?😳

I lived in Boston from '06 to '12 and Brady had a weekly radio hit that I caught a lot. Josh Allen is so much better of an interview. Brady was juat a cliche machine, and never said anything interesting. 

Allen, while definitely saying his fair share of qb cliche, actually says interesting and funny stuff...like the nfc east comment, was straight cliche till it wasn't.

Also, the way he goes into actual detail about how he got better and what his flaws were. Don't get me wrong, Brady worked hard as anyone on his mechanics, but I never heard him go in depth on those radio shows.

Two caveats, one, Brady had already won a few superbowls at that point, so not gonna get many questions on mechanics from five years ago. And two, WEEI in Boston are the cringiest of hot take radio gas bags around and have nowhere near the skills of mcfee to get an interesting interview.

What I'm trying to say, is Allen might have more value as a face of a franchise in terms 9f promoting the brand than brady...until he says something borderline silly and gets a bunch of crap and stops being genuine, but he doesn't seem like someone who would change that.

Edited by HardyBoy
  • Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, BuffaloButt said:

I'm not familiar with Pat MacAfee.  What station ir channel is that?  I'm in CA.

Former punter for the Colts.

@loveorhatembillsfan4life did a nice synopsis above but since I took some notes I’ll go ahead and share, I missed some of what he got and fleshed some other things out more.

Times from full show, first link posted.

Starts at ~32 minutes.  McAfee comments on the big jump year 1-2 and again 2-3, asks was it all mental?

Josh says he’s physically a completely different person as far as the mechanics within the throw.  Said he studied a lot of film from guys like Aaron, Russ, Tom and picked up some things they did and applied it to myself.

Mcafee: Were you scared that what got you to where you were, if you change it could potentially take away from what you were?  Were you worried about changing the mechanics?

Josh says he did a really cool thing where he got his whole body mechanics digitally mapped - his hand and elbow were firing before his hips were so he basically wasn’t incorporating his legs into his motion (where’s @Buffalo716, take a bow, this is exactly what you said).  Said that incorporating his hips and slowing his upper body, a lot of things changed.

Mcafee: Must have been cool to hear that you could only get better

Josh: There were several other QB at the same time, and he was the last one talked about.  So the other guys were like yeah, your hips are firing at a great rate and you’re sequencing perfectly then they got to him and it was “yeah, dude, you’re not doing any of that” so that was a wake-up call and now that he’s using h  Said that he’s actually picked up som MPH from it.

A bunch of talk about the connection between football and golf and how Josh feels improving his golf swing has applied to help him with football.

About 40 minutes in Josh is talking about starting to see defenses and know what he can do and how it’s really cool when “you didn’t just beat him with your physical talent, you beat him with your mind” (this section probably made me feel the most positive I’ve felt about our future at QB)

About 45 minutes McAfee is talking about rooming with one of the Colts backup QBs and how Payton would come visit and then ?Sorkin?, their backup QB and Payton would give the backup QBs home work to watch one guy and look for tells in different coverages, maybe he would split his feet consistently in one coverage and Payton would be looking all over so as not to give away who he was looking at, then the minute he’d see that in a game it would be “OK, that’s what it is, here’s what we’re gonna do”

Talk about the pitch to Dawson Knox in the Houston game where Mcafee was like what are you doing, have some care for the football.  Josh says he’s trying to curve it but in the heat of the moment if he sees a chance to make a play he’ll take it and if he’d thrown it better Dawson Knox would still be running.  

One of the other hosts: “it seems like you don’t give a ***** about your body.  Do you think about saving your body at all?”  

Josh says he’s starting to, he’s “hurting more than he should at my age and this point in my career”.  Says he’s slid “a couple of times”.  Good convo from Mcafee about how Luck was a big guy too and like him, you are used to being the biggest and most athletic guy on the field.  Josh is shaking his head -  Says that he wasn’t, in high school he was small and skinny and he had “cement legs” and his baseball coach called him “Tortuga”.  In Jr college he grew 2-3 inches and gained 25 pounds which wasn’t all “good weight” but it helped.  Mcafee says oh, so that’s why you do it, you didn’t have it before”. 

Mcafee says he never talked to Andrew Luck because he’s the punter, but has anyone had the convo with Josh that dude, if you get hurt, it affects all of us, we’re better with you playing, if you get hurt we’re screwed.  Josh says yes, “the best Ability is availability” is their saying but also he got hurt his rookie year staying in the pocket.  Says sometimes you got to learn by trial and error what you can and can’t do.  (Yeah, Josh, but what if you get hurt while figuring that out? Maybe learn from other people’s mistakes, you won’t last long enough to make them all for yourself)

Another host: wants to know if Josh ever thought about playing baseball or his throwing speed measured?  Josh says he played baseball thru HS, pitched 92-93 mph (before his growth spurt!!!!)  assumes if he went to “throwing school” could probably have pitched in the mid-90s but he wanted to play football because “baseball is just too boring” or words to that effect 

• Like (+1) 2

McAfee is a piece of work.   I love at the end, when Josh says he threw it 83 yards on college.  Josh set himself up, of course, by saying it was high elevation, and the ball was some Nike ball, so McAfee comes right back at him about the thin air and the thick laces on that ball.  Good fun. 

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Former punter for the Colts.

@loveorhatembillsfan4life did a nice synopsis above but since I took some notes I’ll go ahead and share, I missed some of what he got and fleshed some other things out more.

Times from full show, first link posted.

Starts at ~32 minutes.  McAfee comments on the big jump year 1-2 and again 2-3, asks was it all mental?

Josh says he’s physically a completely different person as far as the mechanics within the throw.  Said he studied a lot of film from guys like Aaron, Russ, Tom and picked up some things they did and applied it to myself.

Mcafee: Were you scared that what got you to where you were, if you change it could potentially take away from what you were?  Were you worried about changing the mechanics?

Josh says he did a really cool thing where he got his whole body mechanics digitally mapped - his hand and elbow were firing before his hips were so he basically wasn’t incorporating his legs into his motion (where’s @Buffalo716, take a bow, this is exactly what you said).  Said that incorporating his hips and slowing his upper body, a lot of things changed.

Mcafee: Must have been cool to hear that you could only get better

Josh: There were several other QB at the same time, and he was the last one talked about.  So the other guys were like yeah, your hips are firing at a great rate and you’re sequencing perfectly then they got to him and it was “yeah, dude, you’re not doing any of that” so that was a wake-up call and now that he’s using h  Said that he’s actually picked up som MPH from it.

A bunch of talk about the connection between football and golf and how Josh feels improving his golf swing has applied to help him with football.

About 40 minutes in Josh is talking about starting to see defenses and know what he can do and how it’s really cool when “you didn’t just beat him with your physical talent, you beat him with your mind” (this section probably made me feel the most positive I’ve felt about our future at QB)

About 45 minutes McAfee is talking about rooming with one of the Colts backup QBs and how Payton would come visit and then ?Sorkin?, their backup QB and Payton would give the backup QBs home work to watch one guy and look for tells in different coverages, maybe he would split his feet consistently in one coverage and Payton would be looking all over so as not to give away who he was looking at, then the minute he’d see that in a game it would be “OK, that’s what it is, here’s what we’re gonna do”

Talk about the pitch to Dawson Knox in the Houston game where Mcafee was like what are you doing, have some care for the football.  Josh says he’s trying to curve it but in the heat of the moment if he sees a chance to make a play he’ll take it and if he’d thrown it better Dawson Knox would still be running.  

One of the other hosts: “it seems like you don’t give a ***** about your body.  Do you think about saving your body at all?”  

Josh says he’s starting to, he’s “hurting more than he should at my age and this point in my career”.  Says he’s slid “a couple of times”.  Good convo from Mcafee about how Luck was a big guy too and like him, you are used to being the biggest and most athletic guy on the field.  Josh is shaking his head -  Says that he wasn’t, in high school he was small and skinny and he had “cement legs” and his baseball coach called him “Tortuga”.  In Jr college he grew 2-3 inches and gained 25 pounds which wasn’t all “good weight” but it helped.  Mcafee says oh, so that’s why you do it, you didn’t have it before”. 

Mcafee says he never talked to Andrew Luck because he’s the punter, but has anyone had the convo with Josh that dude, if you get hurt, it affects all of us, we’re better with you playing, if you get hurt we’re screwed.  Josh says yes, “the best Ability is availability” is their saying but also he got hurt his rookie year staying in the pocket.  Says sometimes you got to learn by trial and error what you can and can’t do.  (Yeah, Josh, but what if you get hurt while figuring that out? Maybe learn from other people’s mistakes, you won’t last long enough to make them all for yourself)

Another host: wants to know if Josh ever thought about playing baseball or his throwing speed measured?  Josh says he played baseball thru HS, pitched 92-93 mph (before his growth spurt!!!!)  assumes if he went to “throwing school” could probably have pitched in the mid-90s but he wanted to play football because “baseball is just too boring” or words to that effect 

Ya know , I'm not one to toot my own horn 📯

• Like (+1) 1

Good interview, and thanks for posting it OP.

Some good stuff in there, from asking about the lateral in the Houston game, to explaining how Peyton would be looking all over the opposing D to find a 'tell' that gave him confirmation of what coverage they were in.

Good replies from Allen too, without giving anything away.

15 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Ya know , I'm not one to toot my own horn 📯

I found it pretty interesting that the latest digital sequencing technology confirms what the Mark 1 Scout Eyeball determined

17 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

McAfee is a piece of work.   I love at the end, when Josh says he threw it 83 yards on college.  Josh set himself up, of course, by saying it was high elevation, and the ball was some Nike ball, so McAfee comes right back at him about the thin air and the thick laces on that ball.  Good fun. 

McAfee did say any ball, at any level.  Then Josh told him and he was all "well, but but but"