Flores: Tua benched, not hurt

YoloinOhio

I thought it was a poor decision to bench Fitz in the first place.  It was an even worse decision to pull Tua today.  They shouldn't pull a QB because he isnt playing well.  Thats just bad coaching.  It's not fair to do that to anyone on the team.  You either send the signal that you are playing to win or you tell your team you are developing a QB no matter what happens.  Can't have it both ways.

• Like (+1) 5

19 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

The argument to play Tua is to see his potential. All the while trying to win the AFC East ? Illogical to evaluate him during season vs the 2nd best QB in draft. When Herbert was the pick. Dolphins will regret that pick and it will follow GM and coach of year. 

Herbert looks extremely good so far. Again, as with Tua, I am hesitant to judge any of them this early. People did that with Allen and look what happened. The rocket TD herbert threw to Allen today tho...👀👀👀

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

I thought it was a poor decision to bench Fitz in the first place.  It was an even worse decision to pull Tua today.  They shouldn't pull a QB because he isnt playing well.  Thats just bad coaching.  It's not fair to do that to anyone on the team.  You either send the signal that you are playing to win or you tell your team you are developing a QB no matter what happens.  Can't have it both ways.

so maybe there are chinks in the armor of “coach of the year” Flores you say? 🤔

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Remember that week 17 game he brought the jets to Buffalo and they had to win to get in the playoffs and the bills were playing for nothing and Fitz futzed

I do. Doesn't mean I want to see him in that situation again. I can't think of a QB in the league who is more of a flip a coin player than him and I'm not interested in having a guy that I know can show up and throw for 400 yards totally out of the blue like he can. I'd rather see a rookie who has never played in that stadium before in what will likely be less than ideal conditions come out and try to win.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, JoPoy88 said:

Herbert looks extremely good so far. Again, as with Tua, I am hesitant to judge any of them this early. People did that with Allen and look what happened. The rocket TD herbert threw to Allen today tho...👀👀👀

Very true. I’m not judging Tua yet but I think Herbert has already shown a lot. He has many more weapons but he’s close to JA in year one. Tua needs more help but I’m seeing him limited in part because he does not have the elite arm strength of Herbert or JA. The narrative on Tua was he would elite and as of yet I haven’t seen it. JA was called garage since day one and has earned respect. Tua  may but he has a long way to go. 

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Me too, and if the Bills are who we think they are that won't happen because we'll take care of business from next Sunday until then

Which team are they? The team that is one very unfortunate play from being 8-2 or the team that is two very fortunate plays away from being 5-5?

• Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Scary predicament to be in. Kyler Murray probably set a precedent here

Its pretty advantageous for the Fins to be able to see what Tua has for 10+ games and see if you need to cut your losses or not. Esp since it isn't their pick. 

Just now, billsfan89 said:

Its pretty advantageous for the Fins to be able to see what Tua has for 10+ games and see if you need to cut your losses or not. Esp since it isn't their pick. 

Why is it not their pick ? Meaning that can just take a flyer on the Texans pick. Wow I would think they feel the pick post trade is part of their future and really important. 

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Exactly. I liked the switch when he went to Tua. The Dolphins have Houston's pick which is possible QB range so they may as well see what they have in Tua cos the rest of the team is almost there as the winning run showed. If you have just struck out on the QB pick you can have a do-over in April. But when you make that move you have to know you are sacrificing short term success to find out. Once you make it you can't flip flop halfway through a game that is getting away IMO.

Agree. 

It's the 2004  Giants with Kurt Warner and Eli Manning.  The Giants were 5-4 when they benched Warner for Manning and arguably could have contended for a playoff spot.  Two 8-8 teams got wild card slots in the NFC that season.  Instead the Giants won only 1 more game.  But the Giants took the long view and started Manning.  Next year they went 11-5 and 3 years later won the Superbowl. 

This is football, not IHOP.   There should be no waffles.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Scary predicament to be in. Kyler Murray probably set a precedent here

Tua hasn't been a world beater but he's been nowhere near as bad as Right Josh.  Giving up on him for anyone in this draft other than Sunshine himself would be a colossal mistake.

15 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Which team are they? The team that is one very unfortunate play from being 8-2 or the team that is two very fortunate plays away from being 5-5?

Every team, at the end of the season, is 3-4 fortunate/unfortunate plays from being great or being bad.  You are what your record says you are IMO (barring some exceptions, e.g. the Chargers many of the recent years)

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Agree. 

It's the 2004  Giants with Kurt Warner and Eli Manning.  The Giants were 5-4 when they benched Warner for Manning and arguably could have contended for a playoff spot.  Two 8-8 teams got wild card slots in the NFC that season.  Instead the Giants won only 1 more game.  But the Giants took the long view and started Manning.  Next year they went 11-5 and 3 years later won the Superbowl. 

This is football, not IHOP.   There should be no waffles.

He will never admit it but I suspect when Flores reflects on this he will think "I got that wrong." 

28 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Remember that week 17 game he brought the jets to Buffalo and they had to win to get in the playoffs and the bills were playing for nothing and Fitz futzed

My buddy was so jazzed about beating NE week 16. I said - they're going to lose to buffalo next week.  Just wait. It will happen.

38 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Exactly.  You either play the short game and make a run at the playoffs with Fitz or play the long game and develop Tua as well as you can.  Playing out this game today would probably have benefited Tua more than the 3 prior wins combined.

35 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

It was a complete fail to bench him. 
We’re not talking a peterman meltdown where you HAVE to get him out of the game. They basically just created a media frenzy that’ll drive the whole team nuts now this week. On top of the fact guys like Parker have to prefer Fitz who gives them more opportunities to make plays. 

Yes, yes.  Couldn’t agree with you guys more. What’s past is prologue, but today...that was just a mistake on Flores’ part.  His eyes were bigger than his stomach.  You made the move, so ride your horse to the end, and get him that experience of what was going on in that game.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He will never admit it but I suspect when Flores reflects on this he will think "I got that wrong." 

Exactly. And here’s my (admittedly, very thin) theory on this - maybe Fitz still has a better grasp on the full playbook than Tua? I know, by week 11 even a rookie should know the whole playbook and gameplan but I am just speculating here. Otherwise why take him out outside of pure desperation? Flores doesn’t seem like the type of coach to do that.

Tua just doesn’t have “it”. 

He might be average-decent for a good while, but I didn’t care when they drafted him, and don’t care now.  

He has no elite traits and is injury prone.  

He has a quick release and is pretty accurate,  but that only gets you so far.   

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CSBill said:

Bronco's turnovers are the only reason this game was as close as it was ... and that has been the case in all Tua starts. He still has not played a NFL starting QB caliber game. I hope they keep him there.

or 200

Yes he has...

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Benching him was really stupid. He was having a bad game but he wasn't completely throwing it away. Miami really needs a shot at losing in the wildcard round that badly? Let your rookie QB play.

I get it but this isn't a normal situation for the Fins. They're not the Jets sitting winless with nothing to lose. You want to see what you have in Tua moving forward but at the same time you're a game out of the division. You owe it to your team to give them the best chance to win. Tua didn't have it today and wasn't bringing them back. 

5 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

I get it but this isn't a normal situation for the Fins. They're not the Jets sitting winless with nothing to lose. You want to see what you have in Tua moving forward but at the same time you're a game out of the division. You owe it to your team to give them the best chance to win. Tua didn't have it today and wasn't bringing them back. 

Okay but it isn't Tom Brady on the bench, it's Fitzpatrick. I love Fitz but he is the last QB you want on the field for a game winning drive. I'm of the belief that once you switch to the rookie QB you stick with them through good and bad. If he's absolutely terrible and you want to switch in between games that's different but playing mediocre in a one score game is not when you make that change. Now every game Tua has to worry he could be pulled at any minute.

5 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

He made the decision that Tua is the guy, for better or worse, when he makes that decision to bench Fitz for him.  

This was a massive misfire from Flores. 

8 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

He didnt have it?  Or the defense and special teams didnt put him in plus terriotory all game?  Fitz is the better Qb at the moment.  This game shows the coaching staff belives it.  Tua looked and smelled like an excectutive decision.  Ownership made the call.  Flores is trying to win football games.  Tua sells jerseys and put Mia on every sports media rundown.

Edited by Mat68
  • Like (+1) 1

Was this, at least a little, like when mcdermott benched Tyrod for peterman and then switched back to Tyrod? I’m obviously not saying Tua is peterman, but you get what I mean. He knew Tyrod wasn’t the future and wanted to see what peterman had in live reps because they would be drafting a QB that year and needed a long term plan... but also the team was good enough that they were playoff contender so he had to balance that. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Was this, at least a little, like when mcdermott benched Tyrod for peterman and then switched back to Tyrod? I’m obviously not saying Tua is peterman, but you get what I mean. He knew Tyrod wasn’t the future and wanted to see what peterman had in live reps because they would be drafting a QB that year and needed a long term plan... but also the team was good enough that they were playoff contender so he had to balance that. 

I think its different cause Tua HAD to be given a chance yo start eventually,  no matter what. Peterman wasnt guaranteed any chance to start and was clearly a coaches decision with no pressure from above.

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I would agree with that for sure.

Looks like Miami is going back to Tua,  but I definitely see your point.

20 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

He didnt have it?  Or the defense and special teams didnt put him in plus terriotory all game?  Fitz is the better Qb at the moment.  This game shows the coaching staff belives it.  Tua looked and smelled like an excectutive decision.  Ownership made the call.  Flores is trying to win football games.  Tua sells jerseys and put Mia on every sports media rundown.

Agree. That's what I was trying to say. He didn't have it today so they went to Fitz because the team deserves a chance to win.

11 minutes ago, StHustle said:

I think its different cause Tua HAD to be given a chance yo start eventually,  no matter what. Peterman wasnt guaranteed any chance to start and was clearly a coaches decision with no pressure from above.

I agree with this. It’s a different situation than the one Yolo brought up. Peterman (and Tyrod) weren’t first round picks. I dont think screwing with your potential franchise QB’s head is worth a possible comeback win against the broncos. Once you pull the trigger (they may have too early) just roll with it, unless your getting so thoroughly dominated that it’s an injury risk leaving him out there.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I think anyone would tell you josh is an absolute freak of nature size/athleticism wise and his ceiling was high even back then though I dont think Tua is really in that category as much...not saying he won't be good though I just dont think he'll be great

He was the consensus #1 overall pick before he got injured. Even with a broken hip he was a top 10 pick.

Terrible coaching decision to bench him in a close game. What does it gain???

3 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Agree. That's what I was trying to say. He didn't have it today so they went to Fitz because the team deserves a chance to win.

Right, but you benched a qb because you dont think he can bring you back is a problem.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

He was the consensus #1 overall pick before he got injured. Even with a broken hip he was a top 10 pick.

Terrible coaching decision to bench him in a close game. What does it gain???

If they benched him earlier, very likely a win. Denver did everything but hand that game to Miami and they still wouldn't take it.

Edited by matter2003

33 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

You know, I watched that game today from begininig to end. I had also watched the Dolphins/Cardinals game a few weeks ago...hadn't seen Tua's other starts.  I texted to a freind of mine, a Dolphins fan. that Tua was indeed the "second coming"...the second coming of Tyrod Taylor! 

He isn't obviously terrible, but he just doesn't do anything that makes me think he anything more than what you see.  He is relatively accurate,  dosn't make stupid decisions...but he also just doesn't seem like a guy who is taking a team to the "next level".  He seems like an NFL level, backup,. lpwer tier starter.  I realize, he has only played 4 games, so that could be a knee-jerk, harsh assesment. 

4 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

If they benched him earlier, very likely a win. Denver did everything but hand that game to Miami and they still wouldn't take it.

This was my first time seeing Denver all season...they looked better than I was expecting them to.  Lock made some nice plays, and their defense played hard.

Edited by Buftex

I still think it was somewhat injury or precautionary because that last sack from Chubb was right on the surgically repaired HIP. And I could have SWORE I saw Tua grab his hip after the sack. 

now Flores will never mention that Hip in a setting like we took him out because he had some pain in his hip on that last sack. 

Pretty bad coaching move to bench him mid game in his 4th start. Like why did you even start him to begin with? Now that you have, is benching the young man the best idea? At first i thought maybe top brass made him bench fitz. Apparently not

Id say the bills dont have to worry much now.