Flores: Tua benched, not hurt

YoloinOhio

42 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Tua was the OPPOSITE of the classic Bama game manager who just needed to hand off and rely on the defense. Tua was throwing for 400yards a game and not even playing the 4th quarter! He is not a tentative game manager. Never was.

But he was surrounded by #1 draft talent and superior athletes to support. For Flores to pull him when he needed to learn how to fight through a tough game tells me all I need to know. They should have not brought him in if they aren’t willing to let him learn. Now facing Mahomes, Carr, JA, Cam and even Darnold is he better then any of them. Not so much. Wait until the phins are down even against Jets do you think the  team has any confidence in him if the coaches don’t? 

1 minute ago, QLBillsFan said:

But he was surrounded by #1 draft talent and superior athletes to support. For Flores to pull him when he needed to learn how to fight through a tough game tells me all I need to know. They should have not brought him in if they aren’t willing to let him learn. Now facing Mahomes, Carr, JA, Cam and even Darnold is he better then any of them. Not so much. Wait until the phins are down even against Jets do you think the  team has any confidence in him if the coaches don’t? 

I'd argue that says more about the Flores/Ownership relationship than Tua at this point.

Look, I'm all about Miami blowing this and continuing to suck. I liked Tua in college, but now that he is a Dolphin he can get squished with the rest of them. I just think it is more mismanagement at this point than anything else. He shouldnt have started any games this year as it was. Especially with the wonky offseason, and no rookie camps, etc.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'd argue that says more about the Flores/Ownership relationship than Tua at this point.

Look, I'm all about Miami blowing this and continuing to suck. I liked Tua in college, but now that he is a Dolphin he can get squished with the rest of them. I just think it is more mismanagement at this point than anything else. He shouldnt have started any games this year as it was. Especially with the wonky offseason, and no rookie camps, etc.

I was surprised, I think watching Fitzpatrick play out the season was the best course of action. Especially with Tua coming off of an injury that could have ended his career in the NFL before it started. On the other hand I can understand the Dolphins need to evaluate Tua.  (I'm not sure about the micro managing)  

4 minutes ago, Figster said:

I was surprised, I think watching Fitzpatrick play out the season was the best course of action. Especially with Tua coming off of an injury that could have ended his career in the NFL before it started. On the other hand I can understand the Dolphins need to evaluate Tua.  (I'm not sure about the micro managing)  

If the reports are true, it was pressure from Ownership that caused the move to Tua. Which we all know from our Ralph days, is bad news for a franchise no matter who the players are.

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

In today's NFL sitting QBs and allow them to learn from the bench is a luxury that most teams/HC can afford because of coaches being on a short lease, teams wary of giving a QB a franchise type QB contract if they haven't earn one etc. Instead it's prove you can play or we find someone who can. TBH I think Josh being forced to play his rookie season accelerated his development as we were able to learn his strengths/weaknesses sooner than later and then surround him with the talent he needed to produce. 

I actually think that Tua could develop into a decent starting QB in this league. But he’s not JA or Herbert and with Lawrence going to the Jets potentially the Dolphins may be in a bind. I don’t see Fields as a better option and that leaves the BYU kid( who’s probably 26 ) 😂. Tough situation the Dolphins are in unless he really comes on in last 6 games. If he does I’ll be the first to come on and say I was wrong. 

As many have pointed out it’s taken three years and better weapons to see JA ‘s potential. I just don’t know if he has elite NFL 2021 attributes. 

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

In today's NFL sitting QBs and allow them to learn from the bench is a luxury that most teams/HC can afford because of coaches being on a short lease, teams wary of giving a QB a franchise type QB contract if they haven't earn one etc. Instead it's prove you can play or we find someone who can. TBH I think Josh being forced to play his rookie season accelerated his development as we were able to learn his strengths/weaknesses sooner than later and then surround him with the talent he needed to produce. 

Worked for Reid and Mahomes. And with this weird offseason and Tua's injury, and Flores and Fitz firmly in place, it shouldnt have even been a question. IMO

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Worked for Reid and Mahomes. And with this weird offseason and Tua's injury, and Flores and Fitz firmly in place, it shouldnt have even been a question. IMO

Andy Reid has a better track record than Flores and Alex Smith is a better journeyman QB than Fitz. I agree sitting Tua because of injury concern is wise but if he's healthy it's not as you need to see if got a Watson or Mahomes or a Trubisky sooner than later. 

Edited by The Jokeman

25 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If the reports are true, it was pressure from Ownership that caused the move to Tua. Which we all know from our Ralph days, is bad news for a franchise no matter who the players are.

I think watching Tannehill excel with the Titans has got to sting a little. The fan base I'm sure is very anxious to move forward and probably views Fitzpatrick as a bearded road block to the future. Ownership probably feels the same.

Chan Gailey in all likelihood is not a happy camper IMO.

So what does Miami do going forward...

Edited by Figster

17 minutes ago, Figster said:

I think watching Tannehill excel with the Titans has got to sting a little. The fan base I'm sure is very anxious to move forward and probably views Fitzpatrick as a bearded road block to the future. Ownership probably feels the same.

IMO Miami doesn’t have a choice they have to keep going with Tua unless of course they believe he’s not 100% healthy 

6 minutes ago, Putin said:

IMO Miami doesn’t have a choice they have to keep going with Tua unless of course they believe he’s not 100% healthy 

The locker room might be divided now because of the move to bench Tua IMO.

Most players I'm sure can understand why starting the rookie makes sense. Benching him in a game stiil within reach, not so much. As a fellow player of Tua's it says to me the coaches don't trust this guy or are not all on the same page where his development is concerned IMO.   

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Neither of those negate the fact that he was a slinger over a game manager. Just look at the Leaders in the box scores for the 2019 season.

Against Duke

Passing: Tua Tagovailoa 26-31, 336 yards, 4 TDs

Rushing: Jerome Ford 10 carries, 64 yards, 1 TD

Against South Carolina - 495 passing yards to 76 rushing yards

Against Ole Miss - Tua Tagovailoa 26-36, 418 yards, 6 TDs, vs 155 rushing yards.

etc, etc

Sure, they had a good run game. But really only used it to burn the clock after Tua's passing attack put them up 40 points at halftime.

I guess you can get away with being accurate but have mediocre arm in college. He doesn't look like he can make all the NFL throws to me. 

Again I know the point made is to say he was throwing the ball all over the field in college. That is correct, but again who was he throwing to? Two #1 WR''s who are both making an impact in the NFL. The point many of us are making is, does he have an elite NFL arm? For example the JA throw to Diggs, the Herbert gun to Allen vs Jets. I think he is a winner and apparently a good kid, but does he fit the new NFL ( super elusive/big arm, or both)? I think that is the point. I see him with Baker type ceiling, or middle of the pack who certainly can win but not carry an NFL team. 

Edited by QLBillsFan

15 hours ago, Figster said:

That’s the line of the day folks!

• Like (+1) 1

Yep, going back to Tua as starter next week.  Yep, yessir, Absolutely.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30407324/tua-tagovailoa-doubtful-thumb-injury-ryan-fitzpatrick-expected-start-miami-dolphins

Miami Dolphins rookie quarterback Tua Tagovailoa was downgraded from questionable to doubtful for Sunday's game vs. the New York Jets due to a left thumb injury that he suffered during practice this week.................Tagovailoa jammed the thumb on his left throwing hand on a teammate's helmet during Wednesday's practice, which limited him throughout the week, although he was seen throwing and practicing every day.  Dolphins Brian Flores initially said Thursday morning he wasn't "too worried" about Tagovailoa's thumb but Friday he noted he would have to watch his effectiveness in practice film before deciding if he could play Sunday.

🤔

Just now, EmotionallyUnstable said:

CONSPIRACY!

??

Jordan Palmer made the point that Fitzpatrick is one of the most difficult guys to compete against as a QB "because he's so likeable"

When your young QB is ineffective and you give him the hook during a game to start the likeable guy who did well for you the first 6 games, you set yourself up for second guessing 🤷‍♂️

15 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yep, going back to Tua as starter next week.  Yep, yessir, Absolutely.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30407324/tua-tagovailoa-doubtful-thumb-injury-ryan-fitzpatrick-expected-start-miami-dolphins

Miami Dolphins rookie quarterback Tua Tagovailoa was downgraded from questionable to doubtful for Sunday's game vs. the New York Jets due to a left thumb injury that he suffered during practice this week.................Tagovailoa jammed the thumb on his left throwing hand on a teammate's helmet during Wednesday's practice, which limited him throughout the week, although he was seen throwing and practicing every day.  Dolphins Brian Flores initially said Thursday morning he wasn't "too worried" about Tagovailoa's thumb but Friday he noted he would have to watch his effectiveness in practice film before deciding if he could play Sunday.

🤔

The bearded one is most likely back. That didn't take long.

Edited by BillsFan619

2 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

I thought Tua is the real deal an his accuracy is out of this world?  Also read that you gotta let him take his licks.

I expect any QB is less accurate with an injured finger.

This is Exhibit F of why I would NOT want Fitz in the building to back up Allen.  The starter he's backing up ALWAYS gets hurt.  ALWAYS. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I expect any QB is less accurate with an injured finger.

This is Exhibit F of why I would NOT want Fitz in the building to back up Allen.  The starter he's backing up ALWAYS gets hurt.  ALWAYS. 

Maybe true. But lots of starting QBs have played with injured fingers over the years.

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

??

Jordan Palmer made the point that Fitzpatrick is one of the most difficult guys to compete against as a QB "because he's so likeable"

When your young QB is ineffective and you give him the hook during a game to start the likeable guy who did well for you the first 6 games, you set yourself up for second guessing 🤷‍♂️

I agree, Hap! He's such a likable guy and competitor.

It's crazy the career Fitz has had. Probably one of the most unique many have seen. Just wish that part of his career wasn't spent on the Jets and Dolphins because he's someone that you just like rooting for even with his obvious flaws.

10 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Maybe true. But lots of starting QBs have played with injured fingers over the years.

True.  Some quite badly - Kurt Warner, I'm talking about YOU

My point being that Tua may have injured his finger and can't throw effectively.

Or it may be an 'excuse' to keep him on the bench and let Fitzpatrick play

We'll likely never know, but the way the Denver game was handled opens Flores and the Phins to second-guessing.

2 minutes ago, Putin said:

Is it his throwing hand ? 

Yes, he's left handed

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

True.  Some quite badly - Kurt Warner, I'm talking about YOU

My point being that Tua may have injured his finger and can't throw effectively.

Or it may be an 'excuse' to keep him on the bench and let Fitzpatrick play

We'll likely never know, but the way the Denver game was handled opens Flores and the Phins to second-guessing.

Yes, he's left handed

I don’t see how you can throw the ball with an injured finger 

28 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

??

It was also reported earlier this season that Flores and Fitz are best friends 

Tua won't be a good NFL QB. The guy was a College System QB. He was throwing to 3 1st round NFL WRs while having 3 1st round NFL OL. It's the easiest situation a QB could possibly be in. Every throw he made was over the middle to a wide open receiver, from a squeaky clean pocket. That does not translate to the NFL game. He is an undersized Pocket QB who is a sitting duck....kinda like Baker Manziel. He can't make big time NFL throws. Tua, much like Baker, already maxed out as a player in college.

Bills fans should have 0 worries about Tua long-term. He will not be a good NFL QB. Period. 

10 minutes ago, JoshAllenReceipts said:

Tua won't be a good NFL QB. The guy was a College System QB. He was throwing to 3 1st round NFL WRs while having 3 1st round NFL OL. It's the easiest situation a QB could possibly be in. Every throw he made was over the middle to a wide open receiver, from a squeaky clean pocket. That does not translate to the NFL game. He is an undersized Pocket QB who is a sitting duck....kinda like Baker Manziel. He can't make big time NFL throws. Tua, much like Baker, already maxed out as a player in college.

Bills fans should have 0 worries about Tua long-term. He will not be a good NFL QB. Period. 

I hope you are 100 % right. !!!

the one thing I’ll say is I’m happy the picked Tua over Herbert 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Putin said:

I hope you are 100 % right. !!!

the one thing I’ll say is I’m happy the picked Tua over Herbert 

Tua is never going to live up to the #5 overall pick. The Dolphins are not a team that Bills fans ever need to worry about long-term. As long as the Dolphins are committed to Tua, they are not a threat at all. Tua is not good.

40 minutes ago, JoshAllenReceipts said:

Tua is never going to live up to the #5 overall pick. The Dolphins are not a team that Bills fans ever need to worry about long-term. As long as the Dolphins are committed to Tua, they are not a threat at all. Tua is not good.

But , but Tua didn’t think IT was going to be that easy ?

Maybe he thought he was still I Alabama playing southern miss 

Edited by Putin

19 minutes ago, Putin said:

No if Fitzy is playing dolphins win for sure I want to see Tua get embarrassed 

Tua has been downgraded to doubtful.  It’s Fitztragic tomorrow 

Edited by wjag