Matt Hasselbeck on QB “intangibles” and Josh...

eball

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Oh boy we're crowning Josh Allen again. Can't the man play a good game without crowning him? 

We all know what happens now. He lays an egg in Arizona. 

Well there are plenty of people who ***** on him when he has a bad game. Why not talk about how great he can be when he has a great game?

• Like (+1) 1

I’ve been amazed at the progress Allen has shown this year. A lot of it is the development from Allen and part of it is the improved team around him. The one area where I am still looking to see development from him is the ability to excel in the crappy weather conditions that will be coming. To be the perfect QB for Buffalo, I want a guy who loves playing in cold, snow, sleet, etc because he knows how to perform in those conditions and he knows he has an advantage over teams from milder climates. Kelley could do that. I think Josh can too, he just need to show it. The same goes for the other players on this team.

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

i want to hear a matt hasselbeck good guy story.

here ya go...

matt and i were both in college at the same time.  the campus isn't huge, so it was very common to see him around.   based on our dorms, a lot of the team would eat at a specific dining hall, and always sit together in the same area.  this dining hall employed adults with disabilities to do basic services...clean the tables, stock materials, etc.  one of the adults in particular (i think her name was margie) would always go out of her way to hang out with the football team.  she would stop working, and they would spend time with her pretty much every day.

well, one day in the dining hall, there was a commotion, and this woman margie ran out, very upset and visibly crying.  hasselbeck watched her go, quickly  grabbed his stuff and followed her out.  i left to go to class, and as i turned a corner, i see matt with his arm around this woman, consoling her.  as i walked by, i could hear him saying something to the effect of, "don't worry....friends get in arguments all the time.  just give things time to cool down, then go have a talk."   he had her hand on her shoulder, and he really mellowed her out.  

not an earth shattering story, but i always thought more of him after that.

Edited by teef
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 3

That was nice Teef, thanks for sharing, 

• Like (+1) 2

The comments about Josh “never being the league’s best QB” are funny to me.  Aside from Mahomes there isn’t another QB in the league right now I’d want.  Everybody wants to put Josh into a compartment — “he’s like Big Ben” or “he’s like Cam” — when he’s really a quite different player.  Big Ben could only dream of having Josh’s athleticism.  Cam can only dream of Josh’s guts and leadership (and accuracy — yeah, I said it).

Josh will be a perennial top 5 QB while he’s in the league, and is likely to enter the yearly conversation of best overall.

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

Thats a good call.  Floor is now a top 15 QB.  Which is about 15 positions higher than last year. 

2 hours ago, The Wiz said:

I have no clue what his ceiling might be but that Seattle game showed a pretty damn high ceiling.  I think the thing that will take him to the next level of being a great QB is making his floor higher.  I know ever QB is capable of a stinker and he has raised his floor this year for sure.  Just keep bringing that floor up  and he will be unstoppable.

I would say on the whole yes, his floor is a top 15 guy for the season.  On a game to game basis, he can really suck at times, and that’s where that floor has to be raised.  

His ceiling is non existent, there’s nothing stopping him from being the best ever, he’s got prototypical size, work ethic, personality, athleticism and one of the best arms to ever play in the NFL and what is proving to be good accuracy, which I didn’t know if we would ever be able to say. 

He just has to cut the games where he looks like the Miami version of Tannehill for a day.  This season, there hasn’t been much of that, but he looked shell shocked in TN, KC he was off and got no help, and even the Jets game was not very good.  The Pats game wasn’t great either, but he looked average against a  team that has notoriously skull ***** the Bills, so hopefully he comes out swinging next game and declares their reign over.   We saw a bad day from Russel Wilson and they put up 33 points.  It was a bad day for Russ, no doubt, but it wasn’t a 30 point loss like we saw when TN knocked Josh off his game.  That’s where the improvement has to come.  The truly great ones, you expect dominance every game and fear them picking you apart.  If you happen to slow them down enough to win, good job.  There’s still a question of which Josh shows up today, that is the part that has to change.  You want to know, that even on a bad day, your guy will keep you in the game and give the team a great chance to win.  Brady, Rodgers, Breese, Wilson, Maholmes, Big Ben, if you get to the fourth quarter and are down 14 or less, you still believe you are firmly in it, even on a bad day.  Josh is absolutely a guy that can be on that level, but has not quite put his bad day floor that high yet.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, teef said:

here ya go...

matt and i were both in college at the same time.  the campus isn't huge, so it was very common to see him around.   based on our dorms, a lot of the team would eat at a specific dining hall, and always sit together in the same area.  this dining hall employed adults with disabilities to do basic services...clean the tables, stock materials, etc.  one of the adults in particular (i think her name was margie) would always go out of her way to hang out with the football team.  she would stop working, and they would spend time with her pretty much every day.

well, one day in the dining hall, there was a commotion, and this woman margie ran out, very upset and visibly crying.  hasselbeck watched her go, quickly  grabbed his stuff and followed her out.  i left to go to class, and as i turned a corner, i see matt with his arm around this woman, consoling her.  as i walked by, i could hear him saying something to the effect of, "don't worry....friends get in arguments all the time.  just give things time to cool down, then go have a talk."   he had her hand on her shoulder, and he really mellowed her out.  

Wait what?  Hasselbeck is a dentist?  

4 hours ago, eball said:

...from the Buffalo News this morning:

"When people talk about quarterbacks, a lot of times they talk about intangibles and you never really know what that means," Hasselbeck said. "I just remember, when I got to Green Bay, Brett Favre was there and Andy Reid was the quarterback coach, and he basically laid out what he thought were the intangibles that Brett brought to the table. And some of those intangibles were the way that his teammates believe in him and rally around him and he sets the tone. The other thing Andy said was, 'Notice how Brett intimidates the opponent without even saying a word. Like when they get their game plan book, what are they saying? They're saying, 'Oh, boy, we got that guy. He can throw it all over the field. You can't rattle this guy. The harder the harder you hit him, the better he plays,' whatever it is that they might say.' Those are intangibles.

"Some quarterbacks will never, ever, ever have those intangibles or certain intangibles. Josh has got them. I don't even know if he knows he's got them, but he's got them. And people fear his arm. They fear his athleticism. They fear his size. And I just know from watching the excitement (he creates for) his teammates. One of the things that Josh's teammates said he was, 'He's a stone-cold dog.' I said on the air, 'This guy's like a cowboy.' And people were like, 'Oh, is that a shout out to Wyoming?' I'm like, 'Yeah, kind of, but I really mean he's like a cowboy.' And it's infectious. Some guys have it, but very few do."

Proud to have JA as our QB!

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Oh boy we're crowning Josh Allen again. Can't the man play a good game without crowning him? 

Bills fans have incredibly short memories.  It's usually right around 1 game long.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, teef said:

here ya go...

That's a great story. 

Thanks.

1 hour ago, DCofNC said:

I would say on the whole yes, his floor is a top 15 guy for the season.  On a game to game basis, he can really suck at times, and that’s where that floor has to be raised.  

His ceiling is non existent, there’s nothing stopping him from being the best ever, he’s got prototypical size, work ethic, personality, athleticism and one of the best arms to ever play in the NFL and what is proving to be good accuracy, which I didn’t know if we would ever be able to say. 

He just has to cut the games where he looks like the Miami version of Tannehill for a day.  This season, there hasn’t been much of that, but he looked shell shocked in TN, KC he was off and got no help, and even the Jets game was not very good.  The Pats game wasn’t great either, but he looked average against a  team that has notoriously skull ***** the Bills, so hopefully he comes out swinging next game and declares their reign over.   We saw a bad day from Russel Wilson and they put up 33 points.  It was a bad day for Russ, no doubt, but it wasn’t a 30 point loss like we saw when TN knocked Josh off his game.  That’s where the improvement has to come.  The truly great ones, you expect dominance every game and fear them picking you apart.  If you happen to slow them down enough to win, good job.  There’s still a question of which Josh shows up today, that is the part that has to change.  You want to know, that even on a bad day, your guy will keep you in the game and give the team a great chance to win.  Brady, Rodgers, Breese, Wilson, Maholmes, Big Ben, if you get to the fourth quarter and are down 14 or less, you still believe you are firmly in it, even on a bad day.  Josh is absolutely a guy that can be on that level, but has not quite put his bad day floor that high yet.

Just curious.  Who are these "dominance every game" QB?

Russ didn't have a bad game against us.   His defense sucked and we were able to take advantage of him a few times.  But I have 100% seen Wilson have bad games.

I fell in love with Josh last year and felt pretty strongly that he'd be the guy to lead this team for the next decade.  I didn't think he'd get this good, this fast, but he's so smart, so strong, so physically gifted and has so much natural charisma/leadership ability, I figured it would just be a matter of time before he cemented himself as a top-10 QB in the league.

53 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Depends what kind of cookie. 

Chocolate chocolate chip 👍

10 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I think all of this is pretty accurate. The one thing I have felt about Josh from pretty early on is...I Know Josh Allen isn’t the actual best qb in the league. There are guys that are technically better and that’s probably not going to change. But Josh Allen just seems like he’s the best qb FOR this team. I don’t know how to really explain it or put it into words. Something about him just fits perfectly with the Bills. The way he plays, the way he acts, maybe even how he looks a little.  The guy just randomly seems to be the absolute perfect fit as qb for the Buffalo Bills. To the point where, I don’t think I would rather have anyone else. This guy really just feels like he’s our guy. I will admit, I didn’t want him draft night and there were times last year when he drove me nuts...but I was absolutely wrong about him and it is literally impossible to not like this guy. He’s just the perfect qb for the Bills.

That's exactly how all of the Bills management team that had 3 visits with Josh prior to the draft felt.  He was their guy & they were very lucky that nobody else drafted him before he fell to #7 and they had more draft capital to outbid Arizona to move up & trade with Tampa Bay. They also got lucky that Cleveland didn't take Chubb at 4 because if they did, the Bills would have traded up to 5 with Denver and given up 1st round picks 12 &22 and 2nd round pick 53.  The trade with Denver was contingent on Chubb being already drafted, since Denver told the Bills that if Chubb was there at 5, the trade was off.*

* This information is based on multiple reports as well as the released draft board from WGR.  See attached for the board:

Edited by Albany,n.y.
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Wait what?  Hasselbeck is a dentist?  

he wishes!  instead he decided to waste his time with a super bowl.

36 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Bills fans have incredibly short memories.  It's usually right around 1 game long.

see what i mean?

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TigerJ said:

Kudos to whoever researched Josh Allen for the Bills while he was still at Wyoming, not stopping at the fact he was so raw and had those alleged accuracy issues, and finding the heart that beats inside the guy's chest.

Here's something I posted on 9/30. I copied & this is a re-post to show how they researched Josh:  

Here's a great Allen & the Bills management team story: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2018/07/19/hair-raising-landing-didnt-deter-bills-from-drafting-allen/36985297/

Here's another one: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/how-the-bills-shocked-themselves-and-landed-josh-allen-tremaine-edmunds-in-2018-nfl-draft/

From 1st story: Once they gathered their breath, the Bills then proceeded with meeting Allen, and put him through a workout.

Without providing Allen with a script of plays beforehand, Daboll began yelling out situations to see how quickly the quarterback could digest the information and make a throw.

"It was, 'All right, the deep dig. Now. Five-step, this. Go.' And he processed it quickly," Beane said. "His workout was very good. And when we left there, we felt very confident."

They were confident enough to give up two second-round picks to Tampa Bay and trade up five spots to draft Allen at No. 7.

Where their confidence wavered involved what bumps they might encounter upon leaving Laramie.

"We were a little distracted about how we were getting out of here," Beane said. "It was like, 'Where do we drive to have the plane meet us?'"

CHARTING ALLEN

To address questions regarding Allen's accuracy, Bills scouts turned to game tape to chart every throw he attempted. They assessed what caused the incompletions, including times he threw the ball away when his receivers weren't open.

The Bills also took into account Wyoming's offensive philosophy, which didn't include many short passes.

"He had no gimme throws," Beane said of a quarterback who went 152 of 270, in completing just 56.3 percent of his passes, with 16 touchdowns and six interceptions in 11 games last year.

The only real concern was Allen's footwork, which Beane said notably improved by the time he played at the Senior Bowl in January.

"I'm not saying it's fixed," Beane said of Allen's footwork. "But improved."

From 2nd story: 

Allen helped his stock with a strong Pro Day and with how he handled himself during meetings with Bills ownership and management, both at Wyoming and in Buffalo. The more film they reviewed the more his best attributes stood out to them, with Beane still raving about Allen's gutty performance against Colorado State, a 16-13 Wyoming win under duress in November in which Allen completed just 10 of 20 passes for 138 yards and no scores, and accounted for just 198 total yards.

"It was a snow game," Beane said. "In the first half it rained and in second half it snowed, and he was not only their running game and throwing game, he was their whole offense and he willed that team to victory. His stats, if you look at his stats, they look terrible. But if you watch the tape, that's where you see a guy that carried his team to victory."

When Beane went to watch Allen play he paid almost as close attention to how he conducted himself on the sidelines -- keeping cool and rallying lesser teammates who routinely let him down with mistakes and dropped passes -- as he did to what was happening between the lines. His attitude and team-first ethos won the Bills over through the process. The subsequent time they spent with Allen leading up to the draft -- after that shaky interaction at the Senior Bowl -- backed up everything he had seen on film or from the binoculars in the press box.

"We met Josh for the first time at the Senior Bowl and spent about a half hour with him, and it was tough," Beane said. "He was super nervous and I thought he was trying too hard, as some of the other ones were. He was just really wanting to impress. 

"When we flew to Laramie his flight was late and he was flying from L.A. to Denver and I think he felt bad that he was late for dinner and he showed up and I was like, 'Man, we've got our owners here, he's going to feel really [nervous].' And he was relaxed and calm and confident. It was like he was a different kid than we saw two months earlier. It just felt natural with him.

"And we brought him here to Buffalo too. You know we saw him in his surroundings in Laramie, so let's bring him to our surroundings, and he just seemed like one of our type of guys. And you saw that leadership and the things I saw on the sidelines when I saw him play live. Even at the Senior Bowl he was high-fiving linemen, patting guys on the butt, clapping all the time. He's into it every play. It wasn't about him, it was about the team, the we, and that's what I think is really important."

• Like (+1) 3

Come on, man!

How often does something like this happen to Bills fans? let us dream and have our fun...😉

Edited by JaCrispy

27 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

I fell in love with Josh last year and felt pretty strongly that he'd be the guy to lead this team for the next decade.  I didn't think he'd get this good, this fast, but he's so smart, so strong, so physically gifted and has so much natural charisma/leadership ability, I figured it would just be a matter of time before he cemented himself as a top-10 QB in the league.

Have you told him how you feel?

• Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

Josh Allen is going to be better than Jim Kelly when it’s all said and done. 

Which is ironic since he has been going to Jim multiple times for advice.

Buffalo do not lay eggs. Phish do.  Maybe you want to change your name to Salmon_Run Phishie?

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Thank goodness the Bills were still only attracted to big strong armed QB's. 

But it turns out size and arm strength were not his only elite traits. Competitiveness, work ethic, and athleticism are his equally elite traits. That's what the pre-draft amateur analysis missed. And yes those traits matter a ton for a raw QB.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Russ didn't have a bad game against us.   His defense sucked and we were able to take advantage of him a few times.  But I have 100% seen Wilson have bad games.

For Wilson he did have a bad day.  He was visibly flustered, lost ball when he normally would not and threw balls he normally would not taking chances.  It was not just bad luck - our guys made plays - but I am sure he went back to film room and repeatedly saw mistakes he made.

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

But it turns out size and arm strength were not his only elite traits. Competitiveness, work ethic, and athleticism are his equally elite traits. That's what the pre-draft amateur analysis missed. And yes those traits matter a ton for a raw QB.

And toughness.  He can take a hit.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Mel Kiper Jr was one of the only draft guys who never wavered on Josh, even getting into it with McShay at the draft after his rookie year.

• Like (+1) 1

The best part of Allen has always been the way he hypes up the team & gets involved on the sidelines. You know he's in it, and his team supports him.

That's one thing that has failed many talented QB's over the years. You may have the skills, but if your team doesn't rally around you & play for you, those skills won't be enough to elevate the team. 

Granted, it works both ways, but IMO it's better to have your team's support so they'll play hard no matter what. If they give up on you, the game is already over.

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Given the brevity of Jim's career and the lack of a championship, this seems quite likely. He will have to overcome the romanticization/overrating of Jim that has occurred over time though.

I wouldn't define 11 years,  177 career NFL games (with playoffs) and almost 40,000 yds and 260 TDs as a brief career.  I believe that the Bills ability to run the ball was as important, if not more important, as Kelly's passing ability in the 1988-1993 era. 

35 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

I wouldn't define 11 years,  177 career NFL games (with playoffs) and almost 40,000 yds and 260 TDs as a brief career.  I believe that the Bills ability to run the ball was as important, if not more important, as Kelly's passing ability in the 1988-1993 era. 

Plus 2 USFL years with Hull.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I agree and I think the same about some have it and some don’t. Burrow has it. Darnold doesn’t. I’ve said that since he was at USC. I don’t think Herbert does. Still think he’s very good but I don’t see it. 

Yolo from the first game, from the very first game watching him in the pros it just plain looked like "he has it" even if "it" wasn't perfect or didn't result in a win.

Such good stuff.  

I never thought of thinking about it the way Hasselback is suggesting, with respect to how other teams might view him.

Again, just good, good stuff.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's a great story. 

Thanks.

Just curious.  Who are these "dominance every game" QB?

Literally listed the guys out in the post. 

This is what I've talked about on many occasions. From the time Josh stepped on the field as a rookie you could feel a different energy, a different vibe around the whole team. His teammates rallied around him like no other QB I could remember since Jim Kelly. The offense played better, the defense played better, and all while he was basically learning on the fly. Now after two more years of work we are actually seeing Josh coming into his own and it's amazing to watch. His teammates rally around him, he can throw the ball all over the field with accuracy, he can fit the ball into windows others can't because of sheer arm strength, he makes throws on the run that only 3 or 4 other QB's in this league can make right now, you're not going to bring him down easy, he is threat to run at any given point if the defense breaks down, and he's got that clutch gene MANY QB's in this league just don't have. 

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Literally listed the guys out in the post. 

OK, so in this post:

You said "The truly great ones, you expect dominance every game and fear them picking you apart.  If you happen to slow them down enough to win, good job."

You also listed "Brady, Rodgers, Breese, Wilson, Maholmes, Big Ben"

All of these guys have had "bad days" during their career where they were not dominant and the other team had no fear of them.

You also say "if you get to the fourth quarter and are down 14 or less, you still believe you are firmly in it, even on a bad day".  It seems to me that even when Josh is having what I consider a bad day, we are usually in it in the fourth quarter.  I can think of two games where that wasn't true - the Eagles last year, and the Titans this year.  And maybe that goofy Houston game at the end where Josh was just trying to do too much.

Other than that, the KC game was, I would say, a bad game for Josh and it was 23-10 and when the Bills scored to make it 17-23 with 6 minutes left in the 4th quarter, I thought we were right in it until KC drove down for a FG to make it a 2 score game again - and if Zimmer's fumble had not been overturned, we might have at least managed a tie.

Last year, the first NE game which was undeniably a bad game for Josh with 3 INT, the score was still 10-16 (with a missed FG) going into the 4th Q and if Josh hadn't gotten knocked out I thought we had a real chance.    The Brownies game, right in it 19-16 with a missed FG to tie it in the final seconds (and another missed FG from 34 yards earlier).  The Ravens game, 17-24, again, right down there on the Ravens 16 with a chance to tie it at 1:08 left in the game.  The 2nd NE game, we had the lead going into the 4th Q, again we came back and were right there on the NE 9 with 1:12 left.

I mean, you can "expect dominance every game" if you like from Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Wilson, Mahomes, and Big Ben" but the fact is: they've all had games where they were not dominant and the other team was in no fear of them all game, in fact their team was blown out.  Even Mahomes has a couple such games!  They all have many other games where they were not having a great day and their win came down to a few more plays by their team and by them at the end of the game, or a tie and going to overtime. 

That's why I wondered who you meant.

5 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Given the brevity of Jim's career and the lack of a championship, this seems quite likely. He will have to overcome the romanticization/overrating of Jim that has occurred over time though.

If Josh carries the Bills to being a perennial powerhouse, going to the playoffs and dare I say it Super Bowls Josh Allen will become a legend in his own right so that won't really matter anymore.  As of right now Jim Kelly has earned the pedestal he has been placed on in Bills Country.  

9 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I agree and I think the same about some have it and some don’t. Burrow has it. Darnold doesn’t. I’ve said that since he was at USC. I don’t think Herbert does. Still think he’s very good but I don’t see it. 

I think there are some QBs who can be good and not 'have it'. I feel kinda the same about Herbert. I said the same about Darnold to some Jets fans I know. Can you imagine Darnold going into an offseason and saying, "I'm not good at this, but after this offseason, I'll never be bad at it again."? How about the effortless way Josh just seems to make friends with everybody? I think that's super helpful for a QB. I don't think anyone would be surprised if Josh had an endzone celebration with every guy on the team and practiced it with them.