Bring back Schwartz

ALLEN1QB

The milkman’s defense, what’s it called, nine wide? It needs good players,a good DL, which we are lacking at this point.

We got beat by a very good Tennessee team that did a bit more practicing than we know.

You don’t set a defense up like they did in supposedly limited practices. Taking away the effective, to this point, crossover scheme.

That required set up and practice.

It’s a wake up call. 

Frazier needs to dial up a blitz package somehow. The 4 men up front, along with the LBs isn’t getting the job done.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, dlonce said:

Frazier needs to dial up a blitz package somehow. The 4 men up front, along with the LBs isn’t getting the job done.

We blitzed ALL NIGHT. Not one of them made it through tho.

It left our DBs on islands to get picked apart.

It goes way beyond scheme and just blitzing more.

1 hour ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Probably getting fired in Philly if so we need to bring him back to run this defense the right way.

People here are dismissing the human element of the situation.  McDermott is a defensive-minded coach and has a long history with Leslie Frazier.  The two seem closely aligned when it comes to defensive philosophy and personality.  

If the defense continues to struggle, I have no doubt, Sean will consider making a move, but it’s likely not Schwartz.  I don’t feel he’d be a good fit given the personality of McDermott.  Also he’d be firing one DC who led a bad defense, for another DC who led a bad defense.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

the blitzes were very vanilla

all the defenders congested in space and blocked easily

its seemed everything was very vanilla

like the outcome was pre-ordained and the Bills planned as such

including players bailing on the whole sham

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Freddie's Dead said:

When Schwartz was here, the Bills D was solid.  After he left, not so much.  I think he's better than Frazier. 

So your definition of a genius is a solid defense?

That was also 7-8 years ago with a DL with a motivated Dareus, Mario Williams, prime Jerry Hughes and Kyle Williams playing at a high level.  If you can't have success with that, you're not a very good DC.  

He has a strong DL now and still struggling....

• Like (+1) 1

Can he control the edge from his DL position and not take bad angles from the MLB position? And is he a space stuffer inside? 

If yes, I'm for it. 

I don't think this is a scheme issue. 

Edited by shoshin
  • Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, dlonce said:

The milkman’s defense, what’s it called, nine wide? It needs good players,a good DL, which we are lacking at this point.

We got beat by a very good Tennessee team that did a bit more practicing than we know.

You don’t set a defense up like they did in supposedly limited practices. Taking away the effective, to this point, crossover scheme.

That required set up and practice.

It’s a wake up call. 

We have been blitzing a lot. Our players aren’t very good at it so they just end up stuck at the line. We’ve blitzed from pretty much every position on the field. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

2 minutes ago, PaoloBillsFanFromItaly said:

My take is that our defense falls apart WHEN we are blitzing, middle of the field is left completely open and wideouts have too much space to work 1 on 1 with our CB3 and CB4...

I think a previous comment mentioned this, but it also always seems like the blitzing is just random guys sprinting straight at the line and just going nowhere at all.  If we lack pure pass rushing talent (pretty clear that we do) then it really seems like we should be a bit more creative.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, PaoloBillsFanFromItaly said:

My take is that our defense falls apart WHEN we are blitzing, middle of the field is left completely open and wideouts have too much space to work 1 on 1 with our CB3 and CB4...

This. For the first time I can ever remember, I was yelling at the TV "STOP BLITZING". Completely ineffective and leaving our banged up secondary on islands to get exposed. Surprised they didnt adjust back into their base D in the second half.

• Like (+1) 1

McDermott has fielded a top defense in pretty much every season as a Bills coach.

And had top 10 defenses 4 of his last 5 years in Carolina. 

Our defense isn’t playing well right now. They may even have a down year (though I still think it’ll get solved eventually). But I have total confidence McDermott will get the defense right.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

If Schwartz is available, you go get him, in a heartbeat.  Dude is a defensive genius.

Let's pump the brakes a little bit on this one.  Yes, we had high sack numbers, but we consistently got gashed by the run many times when he was with us.  

McDermott has chosen definitively over the last 4 years to be bend-not-break and disciplined vs the highly aggressive attacking style that Schwartz, Williams, Ryan and others preach.  It's not sexy, and it does piss us off as fans from time to time, but it has proven to be mostly effective

43 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

Just curious, what has Jerry Hughes done this season? So far, he’s been invisible. 

Jerry losing a step should not be a surprise to anyone. It doesnt help that the refs arent calling holding at all this year. Otherwise, he's played alright. But we all knew this would be his last season as a Bill.

This is why I banged the drum to trade for Yannick Ngakoue all offseason. Need YOUNG, pass rushing talent on this team.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Regarding our blitzes, Tannehill was awesome at negating them. He got to the line quickly, and went through long calls at the line that allowed him to see who was coming. That's why tempo matters so much, and it's why they got rid of Mariota. He was terrible at that, and it showed up in his sack rate (13.5 percent last year). I was really, really impressed by Tannehill last night. Good field manager, super accurate, and uses his legs well (good athlete). Bear in mind that we basically shut Henry down last night too. 

6 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Regarding our blitzes, Tannehill was awesome at negating them. He got to the line quickly, and went through long calls at the line that allowed him to see who was coming. That's why tempo matters so much, and it's why they got rid of Mariota. He was terrible at that, and it showed up in his sack rate (13.5 percent last year). I was really, really impressed by Tannehill last night. Good field manager, super accurate, and uses his legs well (good athlete). Bear in mind that we basically shut Henry down last night too. 

You aint wrong, but I cant like a post that talks about Tannehill being impressive. :sick:

We owned him for a decade, and then rolled over for him last night. Pathetic.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

He runs an outdated scheme in the 3-4. McD runs a 4-3. Plus Wade is practically semi retired at this point and got fired from the Rams last year because his defense sucked last year

I definitely agree that bringing in Wade would be a bad idea considering the the scheme change but I wouldn't call what he does outdated.  Wade consistently runs a very good defense.

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

You aint wrong, but I cant like a post that talks about Tannehill being impressive. :sick:

We owned him for a decade, and then rolled over for him last night. Pathetic.

As I said in another thread, he was one of the three best QBs in the NFL last season, and he literally led the league in passer rating. I think a lot of fans here don't watch Titans games, which I get, but he's really taken it to another level. Also bear in mind who his coach was in Miami, and what that coach is currently doing to Sam Darnold, a legitimately talented QB. Gase's offensive system sucks. Note who is at the bottom of the chart embedded in this piece: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/scoring-is-way-up-in-the-nfl-which-teams-does-that-help/

• Like (+1) 1