Per David Portnoy, Barstool Sports will bid on naming rights for Bills stadium

YoloinOhio

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Oh I think he will try 

But it won’t go anywhere, just like how Tushy publicly said they would enter the process.  Poloncarz said they’d never be able to put up the money needed.  I think it’s the same with Barstool

Just now, JohnNord said:

But it won’t go anywhere, just like how Tushy publicly said they would enter the process.  Poloncarz said they’d never be able to put up the money needed.  I think it’s the same with Barstool

Yeah I don’t think either one will be the winner here

5 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

He's a huge Pats fan and just the worst guy in general. I can't imagine the Bills want anything to do with Barstool, not sure their values match with that of the Bills.

Top 5 punchable faces.  He’s a giant douche but I give credit where’s it’s due. I remember when barstool was just a boston thing.  Now, it’s a major company.

and barstool has some terrible things but they do give the Bills and their fans a lot of love.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

People think Portnoy is the driving force at Barstool. Thus, because they hate him, they hate Barstool. However, that hasn’t been true for a few years now. He created a framework for much better talent than him to take off and succeed, and connected with what turned out to be an untapped market. The talent at Barstool is great, and its no wonder that company has taken off.

Id love to see Barstool get the naming rights. Barstool would give the Bills the attention that Boston sports gets, and that would be remarkable for the Bill’s brand. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I’m not surprised. When buying naming rights you want brands that are aligned. Barstool and Bills fans go together like peanut butter and jelly. I know some people take offense to that but it’s true. I’ve been to lots of other NFL Stadiums and we are different. Our extremes are infinitely more extreme than anywhere else. Our normal would be extreme in a lot of other places. 

With that being said I doubt that Erie County will go for that. If the number is big enough though you’ll start to see a little fight brewing between PSE and the county. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

He's a huge Pats fan and just the worst guy in general. I can't imagine the Bills want anything to do with Barstool, not sure their values match with that of the Bills.

18 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Oh I think he will try 

Dave Portnoy is a tough guy for me to pin down. He is absolutely a "bro-ey" arse hat. Huge pats fan. I think he has created a bit of a toxic culture around him and pushes that out with his "stoolies" But he is also a pretty smart (or at least smart enough?) dude, the guy hustles a ton. Some of his content is pretty good. He has created an empire for himself and by himself. Portnoy has been reasonably kind to Buffalo. Some ragging as a pats fan, but largely likes the Bills and us as fans. He also HATES Goodell. So I am sure he is absolutely itching to get his name on any NFL stadium. 

I am torn on this one. 

• Like (+1) 2

barstool has huge partners with the chernin group and Penn national gaming.  With the NFL getting into gambling their could be partnerships there but Goodell would never allow this cause he despises Portnoy.  Portnoy is a freaking genius marketer and just hilarious as well.  Would bring some entertainment and they certainly have the money to do it. 

Davey Day Trading Global Stadium at Penn National field.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

People think Portnoy is the driving force at Barstool. Thus, because they hate him, they hate Barstool. However, that hasn’t been true for a few years now. He created a framework for much better talent than him to take off and succeed, and connected with what turned out to be an untapped market. The talent at Barstool is great, and its no wonder that company has taken off.

Id love to see Barstool get the naming rights. Barstool would give the Bills the attention that Boston sports gets, and that would be remarkable for the Bill’s brand. 

This is actually a really good point I didn't even think about. It has the possibility for a ton of press. If I were Erie County and/or the Pegulas, I would mandate it as part of the contract. 

So, if Erie County owns the Bills' stadium...do the Bills have zero say in the naming rights?  So, for instance, as outrageous as it would be, if some company bid to name the stadium "Tom Brady" stadium...and for whatever reason, Erie County approved it, the Bills would just be stuck with that name?  

Again, ridiculous scenario, but I imagine there is a potential for a stadium name that the Bills organization would not like...

So we can call this the Stool Bowl, or the Toilet Bowl, or hey let’s get a nuclear waste removal company to call it the Chernobyl Bowl.  How about Amazon or Apple and we call it a day.  Considering they are two of richest multi-national companies in the world and is a blip on their radar.  We go deep in the playoffs, and considering we have four prime time games, and two more at 4 pm without flexing which is like prime time light, We have enough recognition, one of the big guys might consider.  I’m sure BP would like some positive press next year, and we play the NFCS and AFCS next year.  Not exactly happy about the pub a few years ago.  They are a monster and could easily afford it.  Monster companies who get their name plastered all over tv are the one who can easily write off and if we make the playoffs three out of four years and this t8me go deep, we have promise to these boards.

9 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

So, if Erie County owns the Bills' stadium...do the Bills have zero say in the naming rights?  So, for instance, as outrageous as it would be, if some company bid to name the stadium "Tom Brady" stadium...and for whatever reason, Erie County approved it, the Bills would just be stuck with that name?  

Again, ridiculous scenario, but I imagine there is a potential for a stadium name that the Bills organization would not like...

Possible, but I am sure that the contract would specify the name, and wouldn't be, "Here is $5 million, we will name it what we will name it". Unsure how that generally works. If it is a bid on a county contract, unsure how the county then declines the highest/lowest bidder. 

It is a reasonably point to bring up, but I would actually think with Brady gone and how much Portnoy hates Goodell, if he did something like that he would push for something like "Goodell is a Clown Stadium". 

• Like (+1) 1

Ive always thought Penn national had the idea to bring on bar stool to help advance its sports gambling. This would be a step in that direction

Weren't  the senecas or fan duel/draft kings trying to set up in the stadium? Or am I making things up? Because while they may not get naming rights but it may open doors for other ventures

Barstool and Portnoy are kind of a guilty pleasure of mine. I do believe he is serious. He almost always puts his money where his mouth is. If for no other reason than he doesn't want to be called out for not following through. 

I have no doubt Barstool has the money to do it and I have no doubt it'd be something he'd want for his company. He is a Patriots fan. But as you can see above, he loves Bills Mafia and the Buffalo Barstool community (which is large).

He'll make calls and pursue it... until the league shuts it down. He won the auction to watch MNF with Goodell and they wouldn't even let him do that. So I can't imagine they'd be cool with a Barstool NFL stadium.

Though in the small chance that the league and the state government all okay'ed it - I would not be shocked to see Kim Pegula and Barstool CEO Erika Nardini really hitting it off.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Mango said:

Dave Portnoy is a tough guy for me to pin down. He is absolutely a "bro-ey" arse hat. Huge pats fan. I think he has created a bit of a toxic culture around him and pushes that out with his "stoolies" But he is also a pretty smart (or at least smart enough?) dude, the guy hustles a ton. Some of his content is pretty good. He has created an empire for himself and by himself. Portnoy has been reasonably kind to Buffalo. Some ragging as a pats fan, but largely likes the Bills and us as fans. He also HATES Goodell. So I am sure he is absolutely itching to get his name on any NFL stadium. 

I am torn on this one. 

Nothing to be torn about.  You're 100% correct.  The guy has worked his tail off to make his money, and I think a lot of the hate people have for the guy is jealousy because he made hundreds of million dollars just being a regular guy.  I dont care for a lot of the content, some of it is too much for me, but I see no reason his brand shouldnt be considered.

1 minute ago, thenorthremembers said:

Nothing to be torn about.  You're 100% correct.  The guy has worked his tail off to make his money, and I think a lot of the hate people have for the guy is jealousy because he made hundreds of million dollars just being a regular guy.  I dont care for a lot of the content, some of it is too much for me, but I see no reason his brand shouldnt be considered.

i personally don’t have a problem with him bidding on the naming rights, but you are misrepresenting the reason(s) why people have problems with barstool. It’s not all simple jealousy. They’ve done some very questionable things in the past.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I don't know or care how much money he makes - I don't hate rich people at all.  Good for him.  I dislike him because he acts like the quintessential annoying American college bro d-bag.  He has a history of demeaning women.  His humor isn't funny.  He sucks up to Trump.  He's just a super-douche.  He represents everything I can't stand about our culture.

• Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I don't know or care how much money he makes - I don't hate rich people at all.  Good for him.  I dislike him because he acts like the quintessential annoying American college bro d-bag.  He has a history of demeaning women.  His humor isn't funny.  He sucks up to Trump.  He's just a super-douche.  He represents everything I can't stand about our culture.

he has a history of empowering women and they run his company.