McCaffrey Signs 4 Years 64 Million

I’m curious about the timing of this deal.  He still had two years left on his deal.  Were they worried about a holdout?  

Of all positions that take a beating and fade out, why post up more money earlier than you have to?

He’s been great, but that’s a lot of scratch for a RB. You can maybe argue timing of the deal with two years left on his old deal, but not sure what choice they had. Hoping it works out better for everyone involved (team and player) than some of these other top RB contracts. 

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Lot of money for a running back. Even one who gives such good value as a receiver. 

There aren't many dollars better spent in the NFL in then last 2 years.

Huge impact player---at a fraction of what, for instance, the Bears are tying up in a Khalil Mack...

1 hour ago, DJB said:

Paying an RB top notch money coming out of their rookie contract is a recipe for disaster 

If you never saw him play or even heard of him before this thread, this might be a semi-rigid take...

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

There aren't many dollars better spent in the NFL in then last 2 years.

Huge impact player---at a fraction of what, for instance, the Bears are tying up in a Khalil Mack...

If you never saw him play or even heard of him before this thread, this might be a semi-rigid take...

Not sure I exactly follow but I'll go with more info to back my point

Shaun Alexander

L Bell

T Gurley 

D Johnson

4 guys off the top of my head who were at one time elite only to fail to come anywhere close to elite production after their rookie contracts. 

I'm not arguing that McCaffrey will fall flat on his face, more so that to take extreme caution when paying one top $$

Just now, DJB said:

Shaun Alexander

L Bell

T Gurley 

D Johnson

4 guys off the top of my head who were at one time elite only to fail to come anywhere close to elite production after their rookie contracts. 

I'm not arguing that McCaffrey will fall flat on his face, more so that to take extreme caution when paying one top $$

Thanks for confirming my suspicion.

For your education:  McCaffrey, in 3 seasons, has almost 3000 yards rushing, over 2500 yards receiving and 39 TDs.

But, yeah, he's just another overpaid RB.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, DJB said:

Shaun Alexander

L Bell

T Gurley 

D Johnson

Didn’t Shaun Alexander lead the nfl in rushing late in his career? 

shady, ap, emmit Smith all kept their careers going 

4 minutes ago, DJB said:

Shaun Alexander

L Bell

T Gurley 

D Johnson

To be fair, Bell screwed himself taking a year off and not using the time to get himself in amazing shape. Gurley was always known to have knee issues that could be a problem. And Johnson has had one injury plagued down year, he could still bounce back

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

For your education:  McCaffrey, in 3 seasons, has almost 3000 yards rushing, over 2500 yards receiving and 39 TDs.

Just FYI he is the only rb to ever have those stats you mentioned. The only one ever in the history of the universe 

53 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I’m curious about the timing of this deal.  He still had two years left on his deal.  Were they worried about a holdout?  

Of all positions that take a beating and fade out, why post up more money earlier than you have to?

Yes I read that he wasn’t expected to show up without a new deal

• Like (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

To be fair, Bell screwed himself taking a year off and not using the time to get himself in amazing shape. Gurley was always known to have knee issues that could be a problem. And Johnson has had one injury plagued down year, he could still bounce back

Bell also had a dysfunctional front office and coaching staff but he was one who made the decision so that is no excuse although it is a reason.

26 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I'm aware of what he has done. It's been dominant. 

Again I never said that i wouldn't pay CMAC. 

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Too bad Woody Harrelson will be too old to play him in the movie version of his career "White man CAN run (and catch)".

While the Panthers want to get the most out of him they are need to scheme to get less hits so he can get more yards.

Is that some parallel universe where Woody didn't star in White Men Can't Jump?

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

Just FYI he is the only rb to ever have those stats you mentioned. The only one ever in the history of the universe 

Because he is simply the best running back of all time...:wub:

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

They snaked him right out from under us:cry:

2 hours ago, CommonCents said:

Is Sherlock ok?

No, no he is not:cry:

• Haha (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Because he is simply the best running back of all time...:wub:

They snaked him right out from under us:cry:

well he certainly has a nice start to being the best ever. now he needs to stay healthy and have the right staff to get him the ball

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

well he certainly has a nice start to being the best ever. now he needs to stay healthy and have the right staff to get him the ball

Well that's why he needs to demand a trade to us ASAP... forget professionalism for a minute, both he and us need to win Super Bowls

Edited by Sherlock Holmes

4 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

This is not just about what the player is worth as a RB. He is a pretty decent WR too. And, he is not just being paid for his worth on the field. McCaffrey is the face of the franchise going forward (even more than the QB) - and is being paid accordingly. Actually, a very very smart play by Carolina.

Until he suffers an injury or has a "down year".  Either of which is a real possibility.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

This has been the talk in Clt for weeks. He would have been an idiot to continue to play without a new deal.

Unboldest take of them all: He will be Bridgewater’s favorite receiver and lead the Panthers in yards from scrimmage by a thousand yards minimum over the next closest Panther.

Their O talent isn’t terrible but their D is. 
      I’m seeing 4 wins for this team, tops.

Really happy for him! I watched so many of his games in what I guess was his junior year of college. He was the BEST all around player I’d ever seen...and I’m old. When he would break through a hole his legs were moving twice as fast as everyone else on the field! Incredible performances week after week.

Welp, I am going to go out on a limb. This particular limb states that McCaffrey will never achieve that kind of production again and in a couple years McCaffrey will seem grossly overpaid.

Don't worry. I know this is a lonely limb to be sitting on and I know that people are glaring at me out here. I guess we'll just see what happens.

55 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I mean it’s football and that can be said for every player.

Great point. That's true.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

Until he suffers an injury or has a "down year".  Either of which is a real possibility.

By that logic, no player should ever sign a 16 mill per year avg contract - how do you explain all these big contracts like Amari Cooper, DeForest Buckner, Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson etc.? Injuries and down years are factored into these contracts by the teams via the salary cap - how else do you explain the healthy bottomlines of the teams despite the large number of injuries suffered?

8 hours ago, aristocrat said:

he's only worth it if he produces close to 2000 all purpose yards yearly. if not it's a crazy waste of money

Why? If you look at WRs that will make comparable money in 2020, CMC is much more valuable than all of them. I could use the only WR slated to make exactly $16 million(Sammy

Watkins), but that seems a bit unfair, so I'll use the 3 guys who are going to be paid $16.2 million(Thielen, Cooks & Hopkins). Hopkins has averaged 1,230.4 total yards & 7.71 total

TDs per year in his 7 year career. Cooks has averaged 1,001 total yards & 6 total TDs per year in his 6 year career. With Thielen I won't even count his 1st 2 years as they were really

bad. Thielen has averaged 1,024 total yards & 6.25 total TDs per year in the last 4 years. But with CMC I'll include his very average 1st year. CMC has averaged 1,814.33 yards &

20.66 TDs per year in his 3 year career. He had over 600 more scrimmage yards than any other player in the league & was tied for 1st in total TDs. If you ask me, given his production,

I think the Panthers got a really good deal.

11 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

He deserves it, best fantasy player ever 

I picked him as a rookie and as I play in a keeper league he's gone nowhere since and won't be going anywhere in the future. 

Bridgewater and McCaffrey are a nice 1-2 for the Panthers but they'll need them to be on fire as they'll need to score 30 points a game to hit up that dub.

McCaffrey      $16,0 million a year                  1,387 yards rushing            1,005 yards receiving                   1st round pick 8          rank at RB   1     

Diggs               $14.4 million a year                 -------------------------------            1,130 yards receiving                  

Yeldon             $01.5 million a year                       63 yards rushing               124 yards receiving                  2nd round  pick 36       rank at RB 96

Singeltary       $00.97 million a year                  775 yards rushing               194 yards receiving                   3rd round   pick   4          rank at RB 31

You get what you pay for.