Allegiant Stadium might not be ready for Raiders 2020 season

Sin City might have to wait another year to "welcome" the Raiders at their new home.

The Covid-19 pandemic has slowed construction at Allegiant Stadium, which would force the Raiders to play elsewhere.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/raiders-reportedly-have-contingency-plan-in-case-stadium-is-not-completed-with-three-cities-at-top-of-list/

• Haha (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Sin City might have to wait another year to "welcome" the Raiders at their new home.

The Covid-19 pandemic has slowed construction at Allegiant Stadium, which would force the Raiders to play elsewhere.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/raiders-reportedly-have-contingency-plan-in-case-stadium-is-not-completed-with-three-cities-at-top-of-list/

HI:

Your take is a bit inaccurate.  This article is just saying that they have contingencies.  I live in Las Vegas.  They continue to work on the stadium through this quarantine period.  if an outbreak of Covid 19 is discovered among the construction workers, then the work site could be shut down.  

As of now, the stadium is still on track,

This link shows a PFF article that talks about contingencies but states that it is expected to be completed on time. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/04/13/raiders-line-up-contingencies-but-hope-stadium-opens-on-time/

Let's pump the breaks here.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It's not just football as construction on the Isles new arena was put on hold. The Isles were going to play the 20-21 season at Nassau anyway as the new arena in Belmont won't be ready until the 21-22 season.

34 minutes ago, NewEra said:

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!! 

This might be for the best. Hotels are expensive, we were all planning to stay with you!    :)

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

Much like the airline that bears it's name. Running late.  And why Allegiant Stadium? Was Goodwill tapped out?

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Haha (+1) 3

27 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

HI:

Your take is a bit inaccurate.  This article is just saying that they have contingencies.  I live in Las Vegas.  They continue to work on the stadium through this quarantine period.  if an outbreak of Covid 19 is discovered among the construction workers, then the work site could be shut down.  

This link shows a PFF article that talks about contingencies but states that it is expected to be completed on time. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/04/13/raiders-line-up-contingencies-but-hope-stadium-opens-on-time/

Yup, theres also too much money tied up in that stadium and LA's to let a pandemic stop it from being built. I'm sure they would continue on no matter the death count if it means they will be done on time, work won't get stopped

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

What's the problem, they already have a dome.

Untitled-1.jpg.0f575719102c9536d57244234a4337e9.jpg

They should have used that photo as inspiration for the design of the Stadium.....

45 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

HI:

I said it "might" happen, not that it was definitely going to happen.

30 minutes ago, Augie said:

This might be for the best. Hotels are expensive, we were all planning to stay with you!    :)

Hahaha!!  Sounds overwhelming at the moment but imagine the memories we’d make!

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Hahaha!!  Sounds overwhelming at the moment but imagine the memories we’d make!

You might want to up your property insurance coverage and get a great big umbrella policy for the........unforeseeable and unimaginable! 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

Yup, theres also too much money tied up in that stadium and LA's to let a pandemic stop it from being built. I'm sure they would continue on no matter the death count if it means they will be done on time, work won't get stopped

They should have used that photo as inspiration for the design of the Stadium.....

To your first point, it's sad but you are probably right.

To your second point, he looks like the cover of MAD magazine.

2 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

I said it "might" happen, not that it was definitely going to happen.

Might happen can be applied to just about anything.

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

What's the problem, they already have a dome.

Untitled-1.jpg.0f575719102c9536d57244234a4337e9.jpg

That’s some serious inbreeding there...

He may be the real life Alfred E Newman....

As for the stadium, I was recently reading about the LA stadium and they have worker who have said they are basically just working through it and the conditions are not what they are supposed to be and are risking getting sick but the stadium must get done because there's so much money in it. The stadium has to be done before the start of the season because it has 2 Taylor Swift concerts scheduled to open it. (The article was a few weeks ago and there's a good chance those concerts won't happen now)

2 hours ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

The season may well not occur, with or without fans.  Play without fans but wait until one player gets sick, which will quite likely occur before the regular season even begins, and it'll be the NHL and NBA all over again.

What are you talking about?  Today is April 13th.  The NFL season is not scheduled to start for over 4 an a half months.  Why such gloom and doom?  You really think there is going to be much of a shutdown past the next month in most places?  I just don't see it.  The panic among some is unbelievable.  The reports I watch are that things are getting better.  People are going to demand to go back to work.  Life for most of us has to go on.  The mindset outside of the Northeast and probably the West Coast is probably different on most things.  And this seems no different.  The liberal media paints a picture that is absolutely catastrophic.  Here in Atlanta there is major social distancing.  But by next month things will get moving again.  What is there approx 23,000 dead from Covid 19?  Do you know how many people die on avg in our country every day?  Almost 7,700.  Why aren't we in a panic every single day?  I think while serious, the response has been absolutely over the top in many places.  And then other places like Kentucky, they are holding big time Easter church services.  I don't think that is appropriate.  But to think that people are going to accept having their lives completely turned upside down for a whole lot longer is absolutely preposterous.  What Corona is going to be remembered as is a bad virus that killed a lot of elderly and a lot of poor people.  And why the poor, because many of them unfortunately have a whole lot of co morbidies (which means preexisting underlying health problems)  and are not healthy to begin with.  Sure there are outliers.  But that is the overwhelming majority of who is dying.  And those people would likely be still dying (maybe not as rapidly) even if there wasn't Covid-19.  (I know.  My business has centered around lower income people for a quarter century.  I know how they live and what they do and don't do.  And what happens to them)

We live in such an age of political correctness, that if anyone is not in absolute panic overdrive mode about anything that kills even the smallest amount of people, they are chastised to the extreme.  Do you think 40 years ago there would be this much hysteria over Covid-19?  Absolutely not.  And according to CNN and most of the media it has to all be Trump's fault.   

I want football.  Its bad enuf this time of year with no sports to watch.  (I was just becoming a Nascar fan this year when the virus hit)  Imagine what the weekends will be like in the fall with no football.  I don't even want to fathom that.  You all stay safe.  And keep thinking positive.  The draft is almost here!!

6 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

What are you talking about?  Today is April 13th.  The NFL season is not scheduled to start for over 4 an a half months.  Why such gloom and doom?  You really think there is going to be much of a shutdown past the next month in most places?  I just don't see it.  The panic among some is unbelievable.  The reports I watch are that things are getting better.  People are going to demand to go back to work.  Life for most of us has to go on.  The mindset outside of the Northeast and probably the West Coast is probably different on most things.  And this seems no different.  The liberal media paints a picture that is absolutely catastrophic.  Here in Atlanta there is major social distancing.  But by next month things will get moving again.  What is there approx 23,000 dead from Covid 19?  Do you know how many people die on avg in our country every day?  Almost 7,700.  Why aren't we in a panic every single day?  I think while serious, the response has been absolutely over the top in many places.  And then other places like Kentucky, they are holding big time Easter church services.  I don't think that is appropriate.  But to think that people are going to accept having their lives completely turned upside down for a whole lot longer is absolutely preposterous.  What Corona is going to be remembered as is a bad virus that killed a lot of elderly and a lot of poor people.  And why the poor, because many of them unfortunately have a whole lot of co morbidies (which means preexisting underlying health problems)  and are not healthy to begin with.  Sure there are outliers.  But that is the overwhelming majority of who is dying.  And those people would likely be still dying (maybe not as rapidly) even if there wasn't Covid-19.  (I know.  My business has centered around lower income people for a quarter century.  I know how they live and what they do and don't do.  And what happens to them)

We live in such an age of political correctness, that if anyone is not in absolute panic overdrive mode about anything that kills even the smallest amount of people, they are chastised to the extreme.  Do you think 40 years ago there would be this much hysteria over Covid-19?  Absolutely not.  And according to CNN and most of the media it has to all be Trump's fault.   

I want football.  Its bad enuf this time of year with no sports to watch.  (I was just becoming a Nascar fan this year when the virus hit)  Imagine what the weekends will be like in the fall with no football.  I don't even want to fathom that.  You all stay safe.  And keep thinking positive.  The draft is almost here!!

I’d like to see the NFL too, but you’re info is wrong.  The virus is expected to peak right now and don’t expect the quarantine to end until at the earliest than June.  If the season does start on time, I’m guessing no fans in the stadium.   That’s not panic, it’s just a hard reality.  Even when the quarantine is lifted, it probably won’t be completely lifted.  

11 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

I’d like to see the NFL too, but you’re info is wrong.  The virus is expected to peak right now and don’t expect the quarantine to end until at the earliest than June.  If the season does start on time, I’m guessing no fans in the stadium.   That’s not panic, it’s just a hard reality.  Even when the quarantine is lifted, it probably won’t be completely lifted.  

Correct. So long as we (and I mean the western world when I say we, but in this case I suppose specifically you in the US) avoid coming out of the measures too early and creating a double peak then I can see a season. The question is will we have a training camp and any pre-season at all and then beyond that do we allow full capacity in the stadiums? 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Thank you, great post.  The shear fear & manipulation by mainstream media, it is actually scary how easily society is influenced.  There are a lot of underlying stories with this virus, and none of them have to do with medicine.  The NFL has time.  Do I think stadiums are going to be 30-40% in some cities due to fear of the virus, absolutely, but my guess is there will be football on time & with fans.  For people who don't think so, let me ask you a question, when do you expect Disney World to reopen, I guaranty it will be before the summer starts.  

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

What happens if this was blown way out of proportion?  Have you ever consider that?  Before you say I am crazy, what about the models we were fed for 3 straight weeks my the media.  You know the models that said NYC 113,000 ICU beds & there is going to be 250K deaths & possibly up to a million.  Those models were not even in the same stratosphere.  NYC peaked at ICU beds at I believe 14K & the deaths I doubt they even hit 50K nationwide.  And before say anything, I would like to tell you my dad is prime candidate for corona being lethal.  He has COPD, recover from prostate cancer and is in remission for Leukemia.  I worry about him everyday.  So the situation is real for me.  People are going to start realizing(if they haven't already) living in fear is noway to live & living in as a prisoner in your own home is no life.  Today there are rallies scheduled in NC & Michigan protesting this shutdown.  

When it comes back, as virus often do, hopefully the healthcare system will be better prepared.  I think they will.  BTW, 40K medical people loss their jobs since this pandemic hit.  he government justifying telling people in Nebraska or New Mexico they can't go about their everyday life when they probably have more of a chance dying in car accident on their way to work then dying from Corona Virus.

16 minutes ago, Gordio said:

What happens if this was blown way out of proportion?  Have you ever consider that?  Before you say I am crazy, what about the models we were fed for 3 straight weeks my the media.  You know the models that said NYC 113,000 ICU beds & there is going to be 250K deaths & possibly up to a million.  Those models were not even in the same stratosphere.  NYC peaked at ICU beds at I believe 14K & the deaths I doubt they even hit 50K nationwide.  And before say anything, I would like to tell you my dad is prime candidate for corona being lethal.  He has COPD, recover from prostate cancer and is in remission for Leukemia.  I worry about him everyday.  So the situation is real for me.  People are going to start realizing(if they haven't already) living in fear is noway to live & living in as a prisoner in your own home is no life.  Today there are rallies scheduled in NC & Michigan protesting this shutdown.  

When it comes back, as virus often do, hopefully the healthcare system will be better prepared.  I think they will.  BTW, 40K medical people loss their jobs since this pandemic hit.  he government justifying telling people in Nebraska or New Mexico they can't go about their everyday life when they probably have more of a chance dying in car accident on their way to work then dying from Corona Virus.

Those models were provided by the White House on 3/31.  If you want to get out of the house than take a job in an essential  business/industry.  If there are less than 50,000 deaths, it will be because people stayed home and didn't pick up the disease and spread it to others.  This should be obvious to people even in NC and Michigan.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

They finally got a crisis to stick.  We need to smartly open back up the country by May or we are in for big trouble.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Those models were provided by the White House on 3/31.  If you want to get out of the house than take a job in an essential  business/industry.  If there are less than 50,000 deaths, it will be because people stayed home and didn't pick up the disease and spread it to others.  This should be obvious to people even in NC and Michigan.

Although I do agree with most of  this, the models were the driving factor in the shutdown & those models did not come from the white house, they came from medical universities all over the country, & they were wrong.  The white house used these models.  One of the doctors out west who had a big hand in the models said over the weekend things are getting better & the models were wrong, he did say social distancing had major factor on the models being too aggressive.  Have some faith brother better days are ahead.  

Edited by Gordio

8 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

To me the biggest thing with this is it spreads easily. I am not worried for myself. I am in pretty good shape and have a strong immune system. I just wouldn't want to get someone else sick who may face a worse case scenario. What I want to know about is why are people stocking up on TP? What the **** is so special about TP. I could understand beer, hard liquor if you are forced to stay home but why TP?

5 minutes ago, Gordio said:

Although I do agree with most of  this, the models were the driving factor in the shutdown & those models did not come from the white house, they came from medical universities all over the country, & they were wrong.  The white house used these models.  One of the doctors out west who had a big hand in the models said over the weekend things are getting better & the models were wrong, he did say social distancing had major factor on the models being too aggressive.  Have some faith brother better days are ahead.  

Since 3/31, all have conceded the models were wrong.  So what?   Shutdowns were in place well before that model projection came out.

Dr. Birx--the White House's expert on TV  every night is a national expert at such modeling--she didn't just call up a few university professors to see what she should tell the public in press conferences.

Since shut downs were in place up to 2 weeks before that initial model number came out, the reduced numbers since have proven the effectiveness of the shutdown.  But another 671 people in NYS died yesterday despite all this.

No one likes the shut down.  And it will end soon.  But these protests are meaningless vanity exercises by people who don't know any better.  But society protects them too.....

• Like (+1) 1