NFL Black Monday - Coaching Changes

wppete

38 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Jacksonville giving Dougie a substantial retention bonus?  Or did owners around the league ‘pony up’ to give Khan a few bucks to keep him?  ?

Unexplainable 

6 hours ago, /dev/null said:

D6nXOt3h.jpg

Chan Gailey reunites with Fitzmagic!! Likely to stay with Fitz until Tua gets healthy (depending on medical evaluation)

1 hour ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Wow, Chan?  It will be interesting.  He has been out of football for 5 of the last 7 years.

54 minutes ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

This is a good read. Anybody who has been fired can relate.

https://sports.yahoo.com/what-its-like-to-be-fired-as-an-nfl-coach-201550343.html 

Ah, that explains why Lane referenced the "fired on the tarmac" incident when Ole Miss had their press conference with him - fresh in his mind.

Marvin Lewis would be perfect for the Cowboys, but Jerrah would never do it.  Lewis would have that defense humming and delegate the offense to a competent OC, just like he did in Cincinnati.  

He rose one of the worst teams in football from the ashes to become a perennial playoff team.  I can only imagine what he'd do with the amount of talent currently in Dallas. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Huh. I thought he added quite a bit of talent in a very short amount of time, especially considering the talent level of that team when he took over. 

I know theres more to building a football football team than just acquiring talent. But I’m still a bit surprised. I felt like Dorsey at least brought some respectability back to the Browns. I mean, people were talking about them going to a freaking super bowl ffs. 

?

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Unless they have a GM lined up?  I don't know.

....Grigson would be a great hire.....Rebate Jimmy did have him on staff for awhile ....make up with hugs..........

Wiki:

On May 24, 2017, Grigson was hired as the senior personnel executive for the Cleveland Browns. In January 2018, the Browns announced that he was no longer part of the team's front office personnel.[

44 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Huh. I thought he added quite a bit of talent in a very short amount of time, especially considering the talent level of that team when he took over. 

I know theres more to building a football football team than just acquiring talent. But I’m still a bit surprised. I felt like Dorsey at least brought some respectability back to the Browns. I mean, people were talking about them going to a freaking super bowl ffs. 

?

Then he goes out and hires Freddie kitchens as head coach....lol

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Report: Giants to interview Mike McCarthy this weekend

Posted by Josh Alper on December 31, 2019, 8:45 AM EST

Good move for the Giants. Rodgers hasn’t been Rodgers without McCarthy. Good fit for both parties.

Just now, Bandito said:

They went 13-3 without him lol

The defense has gotten much much better but the offense hasn’t been as good. Seems like every play is a Hail Mary. Rodgers is still elite but doesn’t seem like he’s making the plays he used to.

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...LaFleur as a rook HC going 13-3?.......perhaps they're on the same page?.............

Defense.

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...LaFleur as a rook HC going 13-3?.......perhaps they're on the same page?.............

Less about record and more about Rodgers. He was really out of sorts this year. Missing throws that were second nature to him in years prior. Maybe age has caught up with him, but that offense should have been blowing people out if he was hitting his WRs with consistency.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Less about record and more about Rodgers. He was really out of sorts this year. Missing throws that were second nature to him in years prior. Maybe age has caught up with him, but that offense should have been blowing people out if he was hitting his WRs with consistency.

...sounds like you think he was "cranky" with McCarthy which I can agree with......he has been lacking defense but it has also approved.....OR....are we underestimating the "Danica Effect"??...just askin'....:thumbsup:.....28 mil in cash for new Malibu digs...hmmmm.........

Aaron Rodgers was missing his best WR for a good chunk of time this year. He also has old man Jimmy Graham at TE and not the one of yesteryears. I think McCarthy was part of the problem but the improvement on defense has been more surprising to me than Rodgers slight drop off. Also the running game has been pretty solid this year (top half of the league maybe).

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The Kevin Gilbride?

He's Gilbride's son, same 1st name different middle name so he's not Jr.  He's 40 years old, the ex-Bills OC is a lot older (obviously).

Edit: I just found out his father, Kevin B. Gilbride is the head coach of NY in the XFL.   

Edited by Albany,n.y.
  • Like (+1) 1

Looks like Jax has retained GM Dave Caldwell and HC Doug Marone.  Shad Khan will just spend time on his super yacht, what does he care

Edited by Happy Gilmore

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

So we're looking at another coach picking his GM.

Cleveland remains a complete dumpster fire of an organization.  It does not matter how much supposed talent they assemble, they are doomed to failure under current ownership, just like Jacksonville.

4 hours ago, Sunshower said:

The defense has gotten much much better but the offense hasn’t been as good. Seems like every play is a Hail Mary. Rodgers is still elite but doesn’t seem like he’s making the plays he used to.

Huh.  Wonder what's up with all them green dots way short of Hail Mary Land.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/player/aaron-rodgers/ROD339293/season

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Huh.  Wonder what's up with all them green dots way short of Hail Mary Land.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/player/aaron-rodgers/ROD339293/season

You really seem to have it out for me. Warning after warning, deleting replies you don’t like, just ban me already. Aaron Rodgers hasn’t been Aaron Rodgers this year. Bite me.

33 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Looks like Jax has retained GM Dave Caldwell and HC Doug Marone.  Shad Khan will just spend time on his super yacht, what does he care

They want to see what they can do without the heavy hand of Coughlin which is smart. 

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

The 2018 Jags, 5-11. The 2019 Jags, 6-10. Both the jags offense and defense were in the 20's this season.

St Doug finally did a smart thing by jettisoning Hackett and hiring DeFilippo for OC.

Foles at QB went 0-4, 3 TDs, 2 INTs. Minshew went 6-6, 21 TDs, 6 INTs.

Still, I don't foresee a bounce back, gonna be interesting to see what they do this next season.

24 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

The 2018 Jags, 5-11. The 2019 Jags, 6-10. Both the jags offense and defense were in the 20's this season.

St Doug finally did a smart thing by jettisoning Hackett and hiring DeFilippo for OC.

Foles at QB went 0-4, 3 TDs, 2 INTs. Minshew went 6-6, 21 TDs, 6 INTs.

Still, I don't foresee a bounce back, gonna be interesting to see what they do this next season.

Concur, it will be interesting.  IMO, they need to get rid of Foles (i.e. get as much possible for him) and go with Gardner Minshew.  I'm not convinced that Foles is anything special away from Doug Pederson.

1 hour ago, ALF said:

They want to see what they can do without the heavy hand of Coughlin which is smart. 

Sounds like his old school ways don't sit well with today's players.

49 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Sounds like his old school ways don't sit well with today's players.

Repeatedly breaking the rules laid out in the collective bargaining agreement wouldn’t have set well with old school players either.

It was just hubris.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Sunshower said:

Defense.

26 TDs and 4 INTs. He's awful without McCarthy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1