Armchair QB Whisperers beware! Pros see Allen differently.

Chandler#81

8 minutes ago, london_bills said:

Thing is, It doesn't matter if your ceiling is sky high if you are going to play large chunks of the game like your very low basement. 

This is just an absurdly inaccurate statement.    It's not even ball park close.   It's simply put, mindless drivel.

Edited by Magox
  • Like (+1) 30
  • Awesome! (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 8

5 minutes ago, london_bills said:

Thing is, It doesn't matter if your ceiling is sky high if you are going to play large chunks of the game like your very low basement. 

I can remember a few bad plays yesterday but no large chunks of yesterday's game or even this season where that is true. 

Yesterday against the NFL's best defense (can we stop forgetting that), he threw for 200 yards and rushed for about 50 more. The line was terrible. There was no running game. And they were still on the 8 yard line with a chance to tie it...when we went QB sweep, missed pass, and then 2 plays with zero blocking. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I'm astonished at the cannon the guy has.  I'm also astonished that an NFL caliber QB can't hit a wide open Beasly 15 yards away.  Seems to be throwing off the back foot a lot.  

Edited by Irv
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

Josh is making some of the same mistakes now that he made nearly 2 years ago.

Are we sure he's progressing and "learning" ???

His completion % is more what I'd call regressing to the mean.

Yes.

• Like (+1) 15
  • Thank you (+1) 4

For those of us old enough to recall how Farve started out,(and i am not old, some of you  got me by 25 years? ) this is kind of what Josh is like right now. Josh misses some very easy throws.  Josh makes some throws every game that leave us saying ‘why can’t he do that every time’. Fact is, he will never do it every time. We just need the frequency to become more, which it is. Those two deep throws were big yesterday. That’s an entirely different aspect opposing D’s are going to have to consider now. Josh getting the deep ball touch back for playoffs could be big.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Irv said:

I'm astonished at the cannon the guy has.  I'm also astonished that an NFL caliber QB can't hit a wide open Beasly 15 yards away.  Seems to be throwing off the back foot a lot.  

Are you also astonished at his two TD throws or naah ? 

Are you impressed by the OL blocking which allowed pressure in his face for most of the game ?

Edited by Fan in Chicago
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

This board, man.  It's like some people care more about being proved "right" about an argument from two years ago than actually seeing the team do well.  If I were an Allen hater, I think it would be a lot more fun to just say "Boy am I glad my pre-draft analysis was wrong" and enjoy the 10-win season and playoff spot than walk around miserable all the time.

Agreed.  I hated the Singletary pick.  Came on here and said so.  

I am so happy I was wrong about that dude. 

• Like (+1) 10

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I wonder how well some of the other young QBs would be doing in respect of 'regressing to the mean' if they had just had to play 3 of the best defenses in the NFL. I'd guess they would all be 'regressing to the mean', because that's some tough sledding.

• Like (+1) 12
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, london_bills said:

6 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

2 of the 4 horsemen that make up the crusade crew have spoken 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 19
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Are you also astonished at his two TD throws or naah ? 

Are you impressed by the OL blocking which allowed pressure in his face for most of the game ?

Chicago Bills fans need to stick together. At least there are 4 or 5 Bills Backer Bars out here. It might just be a coincidence but 2 are within walking distance of Marv Levys home.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Magox said:

This is just an absurdly inaccurate statement.    It's not even ball park close.   It's simply put, mindless drivel.

Absurd? 

Im just going to leave this right here.   This is and objective review of Allen by the same national media.  (with clips in link) 

"And that is how a quarterback goes 13-for-26. And that is why he now has 14 starts with a 55 percent completion rate or lower. As in, 14 of his 26 starts. Not great.

Maybe not the guy you take out of Wyoming with the seventh overall pick. Just a thought."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/boston.cbslocal.com/2019/12/22/josh-allen-was-terrible-great-afc-title-game-preview-leftover-patriots-thoughts/amp/

Consistency and accuracy has been his biggest problem and his minimal improvement in those areas is what objective fans are concerned about and point out. 

Its not absurd to say Allen displays 25% magic and 75% sub par play in the majority his career. 

• Sad 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

It is so positive to be a Allan fan and he is the franchise QB of the Bills

that we have waited so long for, but (and there is a but) we know his

accuracy leaves much to be desired, and and unless he gets a QB

whisperer, it is what it is.

Being a franchise QB in the NFL and $2.75  will get me on the bus and

no more. You can name all the franchise QBs who have never made it

to the SB much less won one. So let us hope for some playoff success

and more winning seasons.

• Like (+1) 1

Allen gets every missed throw microanalyzed like no QB I've ever seen in my life, and it's because of his draft profile, and the fact that people had stronger negative opinions of him before ever seeing an NFL snap than any Bills draft pick I've ever seen. 

While he's obviously still growing, every time I turn on another game and watch other good QBs, I laugh, and say to myself at least 10 times a game that if our QB had made that throw, there'd be 15 total pages on it between all of the threads. QBs miss throws, especially against NE, BAL, and PIT. and against those 3 defenses, he got better each week. he went from being horrendous 10-19 yards down the field to a top 5 QB in that range in one offseason. He's played in fewer than 30 games. We're in a good spot.

Edited by arcane
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 6

11 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

This board, man.  It's like some people care more about being proved "right" about an argument from two years ago than actually seeing the team do well.  If I were an Allen hater, I think it would be a lot more fun to just say "Boy am I glad my pre-draft analysis was wrong" and enjoy the 10-win season and playoff spot than walk around miserable all the time.

Right? My favorite is "sure, he can make extraordinary plays no other QB in the last 25 years could make, but can he make the simple plays? The jury is still out. I'm not sure."

As if Allen didn't just fix dozens of little things last offseason. As if he doesn't improve week by week. As if he didn't just play 4 of the toughest defenses in the league 4 games in a row coming off 2 breakout performances. 

Why not "Not only can he make the most amazing plays ever, all he needs to do is work on those little things that every QB in the league has managed to learn how to do. I'm so excited about his potential!"

Like what is the difference? What makes them doubt so hard despite all evidence to the contrary? Remember when everyone cried about his turnovers as if that was some permanent problem. How many times can you possibly be wrong and still stand by your opinions? The human mind is incredible in it's ability to put on blinders.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

This was me. I hated the pick more than any single other thing the Bills had done in my fanhood. 

I look back and am embarrassed to have pretended I know anything about football 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

Absurd? 

Im just going to leave this right here.   This is and objective review of Allen by the same national media.  (with clips in link) 

"And that is how a quarterback goes 13-for-26. And that is why he now has 14 starts with a 55 percent completion rate or lower. As in, 14 of his 26 starts. Not great.

Maybe not the guy you take out of Wyoming with the seventh overall pick. Just a thought."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/boston.cbslocal.com/2019/12/22/josh-allen-was-terrible-great-afc-title-game-preview-leftover-patriots-thoughts/amp/

Consistency and accuracy has been his biggest problem and his minimal improvement in those areas is what objective fans are concerned about and point out. 

Its not absurd to say Allen displays 25% magic and 75% sub par play in the majority his career. 

Yes, it's absurd because he said "large chunks" of the game.   And it is absurd to say 75% sub par play.  Your defense of his post is also :bag: and has no factual basis behind it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Irv said:

I'm astonished you apparently don't watch much football. 

Sure Allen misses a receiver at times but you're acting like he does it all the time.  Most of his passes to Beasley are darts and right on the money.  And just like Beasley & Knox will drop a well thrown pass Allen will miss a throw.  It happens to every QB.

I watched all 3 games yesterday and I saw all 6 QB's miss wide open guys.  Allen did not stand out in doing this and he went up against the best defense playing yesterday.

I just don't get the fixation with every bad pass Allen throws. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Irv said:

You do know that every QB misses throws, right?

Beasley didn't throw his 7 receptions for 108 yds to himself.

Allen needs to take a step, he knows it, most of us know it, but Sheesh

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

This is a post I would expect from someone who’s name is “nextmanup”...smfh

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, arcane said:

Allen gets every missed throw microanalyzed like no QB I've ever seen in my life, and it's because of his draft profile, and the fact that people had stronger negative opinions of him before ever seeing an NFL snap than any Bills draft pick I've ever seen. 

While he's obviously still growing, every time I turn on another game and watch other good QBs, I laugh, and say to myself at least 10 times a game that if our QB had made that throw, there'd be 15 total pages on it between all of the threads. QBs miss throws, especially against NE, BAL, and PIT. and against those 3 defenses, he got better each week. he went from being horrendous 10-19 yards down the field to a top 5 QB in that range in one offseason. He's played in fewer than 30 games. We're in a good spot.

Maybe it's partly the different emotions people feel when watching him play. Annoyed, elated etc 

Peyton Manning and Tom Brady skewed everyone's perceptions

Rogers has games where he barely breaks 200 yards .. so does Brees sometimes. 

Those are the top guys... Many starting QBs have rough games and or don't put up crazy stats

Allen is doing fine for a raw prospect who was supposed to need a couple years to learn

• Like (+1) 7

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I'm astonished you apparently don't watch much football. 

Sure Allen misses a receiver at times but you're acting like he does it all the time.  Most of his passes to Beasley are darts and right on the money.  And just like Beasley & Knox will drop a well thrown pass Allen will miss a throw.  It happens to every QB.

I watched all 3 games yesterday and I saw all 6 QB's miss wide open guys.  Allen did not stand out in doing this and he went up against the best defense playing yesterday.

I just don't get the fixation with every bad pass Allen throws. 

I'm actually sometimes amazed with the accuracy Allen shows on some throws. That's why I raise an eyebrow to these guys.

If they were to say "yes, sometimes Allen makes amazingly accurate throws, but I feel like it's not consistent enough to get to the next level", then I would be all ears. But to keep saying he is an "inaccurate QB". They're either not watching or ignoring the good stuff (for personal agenda). 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

Just now, ToGoGo said:

Right? My favorite is "sure, he can make extraordinary plays no other QB in the last 25 years could make, but can he make the simple plays? The jury is still out. I'm not sure."

As if Allen didn't just fix dozens of little things last offseason. As if he doesn't improve week by week. As if he didn't just play 4 of the toughest defenses in the league 4 games in a row coming off 2 breakout performances. 

Why not "Not only can he make the most amazing plays ever, all he needs to do is work on those little things that every QB in the league has managed to learn how to do. I'm so excited about his potential!"

Like what is the difference? What makes them doubt so hard despite all evidence to the contrary? Remember when everyone cried about his turnovers as if that was some permanent problem. How many times can you possibly be wrong and still stand by your opinions? The human mind is incredible in it's ability to put on blinders.

Good post! Yes the display of high level ability and potential is really along the lines of a young Brett Favre or John Elway and that is really exciting. Contrast this with someone like Sam Darnold who is more consistent, but lacks the really high end ability Allen does. In short, he is much closer to a finished product than Josh. That and given the fact he played high level ball in college, not at Wyoming. The good thing is Allen, has been making progress towards the flaws, he cares and works hard at his craft. To some extent it's a matter of taste I suppose, I want the guy who has the most upside with correctable weaknesses, and the willingness to improve. The other dudes who are close to finished products leave you frustrated much of the time at the end of the year.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

An agenda

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

Absurd? 

If this were even remotely true, this team wouldn’t have more than 5 wins this season.

• Like (+1) 4