Armchair QB Whisperers beware! Pros see Allen differently.

Chandler#81

11 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I really dont see what the shame is in admitting Allen struggled this game.  MOST qbs do?

Lets not act like the bills have an all start team around Allen.  We have Brown, Bease, and a collection of Jags at WR.....we didnt even bother to spell Singletary with Gore in this game.....and our starting TE in Knox is very young.

It is my hope that we make a hard court press of improving the offensive talent of  this team in the offseason....guys that actually make plays when they get the ball.

Playing less than perfect is not "struggling".  They have ways of measuring performance.  Allens 103 Passer Rating yesterday plus 43 yards rushing is not struggling.   So there is nothing to admit to, other than he was not perfect.  Why can't you admit that a 103 passer rating, no turnovers, and 43 yards rushing out of your QB ought to be enough a solid performance and should not be looked at as the primary reason a team lost. Would another 150 yards passing along with 2 Ints make you happier. 

No QB in the league is regularly asked to be a bigger part of the offense than Josh Allen.  He has a mediocre to poor line, and no skill players who would be #1 players at their position on the majority of NFL teams.    People seem to constantly compare current bills players to past bills players.   But the fact that John Brown is better than Kelvin Benjamin, does not not make him better than Michael Thomas.  Devin Singletary is better than Frank Gore, and better than 2018 LeSean McCoy, but he is not a top NFL Running back.   

This lack of talent on offense allows teams to tee-off on Allen far more effectively than they can against most teams.  

Edited by Chaos
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Playing less than perfect is not "struggling".  They have ways of measuring performance.  Allens 103 Passer Rating yesterday plus 43 yards rushing is not struggling.   So there is nothing.  Why can't you admit that a 103 passer rating, no turnovers, and 43 yards rushing out of your QB ought to be enough a solid performance and should not be looked at as the primary reason a team lost. Would another 150 yards passing along with 2 Ints make you happier. 

No QB in the league is regularly asked to be a bigger part of the offense than Josh Allen.  He has a mediocre to poor line, and no skill players who would be #1 players at their position on the majority of NFL teams.    People seem to constantly compare current bills players to past bills players.   But the fact that John Brown is better than Kelvin Benjamin, does not not make him better than Michael Thomas.  Devin Singletary is better than Frank Gore, and better than 2018 LeSean McCoy, but he is not a top NFL Running back.   

This lack of talent on offense allows teams to tee-off on Allen far more effectively than they can against most teams.  

Yep.  All that.  Plus Josh could have certainly played better in the first half.  it is perfectly OK to think that the kid will be our QB for the next decade or so as I do, plus be able to objectively say he could have played better Saturday.  Not just that he missed a couple passes (and not the ones to Know; those were difficult throws), but that Belichick did to him what he does to young QBs;  confused him.  Josh needs to continue to improve on reads, especially pre-snap, so he can get the ball out quicker.  He's done that better in many games this year, but those teams don't have Belichick calling defenses.

We have ten wins this season and possibly 11. Been in every game and have turned the corner in year 3. We are set up for sustainable future success. It’s been such a fun season to enjoy for a change from the past 20 years.

The only negativity has come from this board about our second year quarterback week in and week out.  Our qb has 27 Total td to 9 ints. He is on the path to have a lot of success in this league. 

Most of us objective fans have no problem criticizing 

when warranted and we will. But again we realize this is year 2 and expect to see even more improvement next year.

It sucks some of you haven’t been able to enjoy this season and only come to chat when we lose, never hear a peep during a win..

Edited by loveorhatembillsfan4life
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Playing less than perfect is not "struggling".  They have ways of measuring performance.  Allens 103 Passer Rating yesterday plus 43 yards rushing is not struggling.   So there is nothing.  Why can't you admit that a 103 passer rating, no turnovers, and 43 yards rushing out of your QB ought to be enough a solid performance and should not be looked at as the primary reason a team lost. Would another 150 yards passing along with 2 Ints make you happier. 

I mean this post is just sooooo hyperbolic. 

No QB is asked to do more? I guess Fitz, Rosen, Carr, Darnold, Murray have teams oozing with talent? 

Mediocre to poor line??

Allen benefits from the #2 defense in the NFL. That is a benefit that 30 NFL teams don’t have right there.

Kinda bananas to be honest.

2 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

No QB is asked to do more? I guess Fitz, Rosen, Carr (better weapons than the bills), Darnold (levoen Bell better than any bills play makers() , Murray have teams oozing with talent?   Idiotic comment.  - None of them are winning games at a high rate. All having far less sucess than Allen.   The only QB asked to do more than Allen is Lamar Alexander.

Mediocre to poor line?? One of the worst rushing attacks in the NFL.  Yesterday the offense gained 49 yards on the ground, without Allen. Putrid.  This puts incredible pressure on Allen.  Daboll must assume teams know we are not running, because he almost completely ignores play action. 

Allen benefits from the #2 defense in the NFL. That is a benefit that 30 NFL teams don’t have right there. 

Kinda bananas to be honest. Yes you are completely bananas, to be honest. 

7 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

No QB is asked to do more? I guess Fitz, Rosen, Carr, Darnold, Murray have teams oozing with talent? 

Mediocre to poor line??

Kinda bananas to be honest.

In how many games has the defense provided points?

Serious question, since you seem to be implying that the defense is why this team wins.

10 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

He's scored 29 of the team's 35 TDs this season.

He's a HUGE reason why.

Don't confuse the other posters narrative with your silly facts. Narrative trumps facts.  We all have to just accept that. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Fitz has better weapons that the Bills? Murray has better weapons?

Leveon Bell is having the worst year of his career and averaging 3.3 YPC on the season. Devin Singletary has more rushing yards, started 6 less games and played in 2 less on the year.

Our OL is above average in pass pro. We are 6th in the NFL in rushing yards.

Yes none of them are winning a lot. None of them have a great defense or the great “weapons” either. Doesn’t that mean they are asked to do MORE?

You must not watch a lot of the NFL.

11 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

In how many games has the defense provided points?

Serious question, since you seem to be implying that the defense is why this team wins.

Is it easier to produce 17 points on offense or 32 points on offense? 

Serious question.

Edited by BringBackOrton

6 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Don't confuse the other posters narrative with your silly facts. Narrative trumps facts.  We all have to just accept that. 

Incredible post after calling the Bills being 6th in rushing yards one of the worst rushing attacks in the NFL. You know that if you just say incredibly wrong things, they don’t become true, right?

5 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Incredible post after calling the Bills being 6th in rushing yards one of the worst rushing attacks in the NFL. You know that if you just say incredibly wrong things, they don’t become true, right?

The above is correct.  But somewhat ironic here.

11 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Serious question.

What defense are you facing when you try to produce them - one that averages 12-13 ppg?

Or one that averages giving up 26 ppg?

13 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Fitz has better weapons that the Bills? Murray has better weapons?

Leveon Bell is having the worst year of his career and averaging 3.3 YPC on the season. Devin Singletary has more rushing yards, started 6 less games and played in 2 less on the year.

Our OL is above average in pass pro. We are 6th in the NFL in rushing yards.

Yes none of them are winning a lot. None of them have a great defense or the great “weapons” either. Doesn’t that mean they are asked to do MORE?

You must not watch a lot of the NFL.

Serious question.

That's a complete and total non-sequitur. My point was clear. "It's all defense" is an argument that simply can't be supported.

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The above is correct.  But somewhat ironic here.

What defense are you facing when you try to produce them - one that averages 12-13 ppg?

Or one that averages giving up 26 ppg?

It’s not ironic, because if I’m ever wrong it’s a typo or a brain fart, never a mistake borne of complete ignorance of the Bills or the NFL in general. I dunked on that dude like Dominique Wilkins. Time to kiss the ring!

Over the course of a year, they play a mix of different opponents. One QB’s defense allows 31 ppg on average. The others’ allows 16 ppg  on average. Which teams’ offense (including QB) is under more pressure to perform to produce wins?

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

That's a complete and total non-sequitur. My point was clear. "It's all defense" is an argument that simply can't be supported.

I can’t remember saying “it’s all defense”, but do feel free to point me to the post.

Edited by BringBackOrton

To go a bit further I criticize Josh on the throws to Knox in the end zone. Going forward he needs to continue to work on nailing this down. 

Actually just to make you all happy I’m not going to get bent out shape about missing a seven yard pass anymore. I’ll scream but move on. I’m not going to start a new thread and call for a new quarterback change every time he misses a short one. I will gladly accept those misses.  Because as long as we are in the game we have a chance. He showed me so much with two throws this past game that defenses have to absolutely respect. He chucked it 50 yards on a dime with a flick of a wrist. That’s playmaker ability. 

So in the spirit of Christmas, If you are truly unhappy and have an infatuation with Lamar or Mahomes or Kyle Allen, Brandon Allen, Duck please go and follow them. Many of you propped them up big time this season. 

If you want to stick on board , please do. Josh will be here for two more years at least and so will I. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Sal C. tweeted something about team awards, when I think about this it really becomes pretty obvious who the offensive MVP is of this 10 win team.

McD/Leslie Frazier get my vote for team MVP.

Offensive is Josh no question.

Edited by BringBackOrton
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

I actually wasn’t wrong on his stats. He really was 3/9 prior to that last drive. You can check the game log.

You were saying he was 3/9 IN THE 1Q.  A Q in which he threw 3 passes.

You can check your posts.

As far as the strategy of arbitrarily excluding the best drive of the half then claiming he's horrible, C'mon man.  

It would be just as silly to exclude one :27 s. drive vs. the Eagles where Josh fumbled deep in our territory and say "other than that, Josh played well enough to keep the Bills well in the game at 3-7".    That stuff is just silly.  Look at the quarter.  Look at the half.  Don't pick and choose.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Prior the the last drive (of the first half). Wrote it at least 3 times prior. Brain farted when I said 14 minutes instead of 29. You’re wrong (again).

13 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

Sure, he had a really good drive at the end of the half. Prior to that drive he was horrific. It’s okay for it to be both.

Also, your stats are wrong. Prior to the 33 second mark in the half, Allen had 3 complete passes.

9. He was averaging like 3 yards per attempt and had taken a sack.

if that’s not playing at your basement for a large chunk of a game, what is? 

If you saw Mitch Trubisky have that almost half, like he has at least once this year, you wouldn’t say he has played fine.

Yes or no. Josh Allen was 3/9 for 19 yards and a sack taken prior to the 33 second mark in the half?

Of course it matters. Need to complete passes to extend drives and throw more passes. You act like 9 attempts is a defense. It’s more of an indictment.

Josh had a bad Trubisky-esque half up until the TD drive. It’s okay to admit. You won’t burst into flames for blasphemy.

WHAT??

Allen had like completed like 3 passes in the first 28 minutes of the NE game.

NBA Jamz voice: HE’S ON FIRE

I also never said Josh was horrific. I said he played horrific prior to that last drive, which was awesome and excellent. As I said above, it’s okay to admit both. You won’t burst into flames.

Edited by BringBackOrton

1 minute ago, Chandler#81 said:

^. ^

You quote yourself??

No friends, eh?

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

As far as the strategy of arbitrarily excluding the best drive of the half then claiming he's horrible, C'mon man.  

It would be just as silly to exclude one :27 s. drive vs. the Eagles where Josh fumbled deep in our territory and say "other than that, Josh played well enough to keep the Bills well in the game at 3-7".    That stuff is just silly.  Look at the quarter.  Look at the half.  Don't pick and choose.

When a mod asks me to check my posts, I do as they command.

I just like to show my work. That way we can all learn something.

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Prior the the last drive (of the first half). Wrote it at least 3 times prior. Brain farted when I said 14 minutes instead of 29. You’re wrong (again).

WHAT?? Allen had like completed like 3 passes in the first 28 minutes of the NE game.

Not changing the premise. The premise was that Allen can be bad for large chunks of games. Allen was 3/9 for 19 yards and sack for the first 14 minutes and 27 seconds of the Pats game. That’s bad for a lot of time. admit it.

I also never said Josh was horrific. I said he played horrific prior to that last drive, which was awesome and excellent. As I said above, it’s okay to admit both. You won’t burst into flames.

This is getting to be a bit over-the-top, don't you think? 

Discussion is not furthered by being factually incorrect at times yourself (for whatever reason) and then jumping about like "Pants on the Ground" and gloating at others when you think they are. 

It makes you look like something's indeed on fire, and not in an NBA Jamz voice.

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

WHAT?? Allen had like completed like 3 passes in the first 28 minutes of the NE game.

Not changing the premise. The premise was that Allen can be bad for large chunks of games. Allen was 3/9 for 19 yards and sack for the first 14 minutes and 27 seconds of the Pats game. That’s bad for a lot of time. admit it.

This is getting to be a bit over-the-top, don't you think? 

Discussion is furthered  not being factually incorrect at times yourself (for whatever reason) and then jumping about like "Pants on the Ground" and gloating at others.

I thought it was clearly tongue in cheek, but maybe it doesn’t translate.

Also:

18 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Prior the the last drive (of the first half). Wrote it at least 3 times prior. Brain farted when I said 14 minutes instead of 29.

Feel like that’s an adequate enough explanation that you can drop the fact I mistakenly wrote 14 even though the entire conversation prior I referenced the first half and that’s obviously what I meant. I even said that after the fact when you corrected me last night. Seems a little petty on your end.

Edited by BringBackOrton

11 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah...I think there is a LOT more to love than complain about.  

Don't worry A7, this is TBD, people will complain about it ALL, eventually.  :beer:

10 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

Some folks ask, would you rather have Allen throw 300+ yards and 3TD’s in a game and lose than 150 yards and win? And the answer is it depends. 

In a do or die game in the playoffs, no. In a Super Bowl, no. Every week, no. But it’s okay every once in a while for your QB to play great and carry the team and still lose. All of the great QB’s have done it A LOT.

For me it in no way "depends" - YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME.  I'd take 150 yards and a win, literally, every game...

44 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Welcome to 2020... ?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

21 hours ago, BillsFanSD said:

This board, man.  It's like some people care more about being proved "right" about an argument from two years ago than actually seeing the team do well.  If I were an Allen hater, I think it would be a lot more fun to just say "Boy am I glad my pre-draft analysis was wrong" and enjoy the 10-win season and playoff spot than walk around miserable all the time.

I wanted Rosen at the time. I was so so so wrong. 

see how that works people, it’s easy!!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, apuszczalowski said:

Well the Pros also have a different opinion on Brian Daboll as the Bills fans here do.......

I like how Daboll runs the offense, personally. Give him a big receiver, another back and better overall execution, and he can be a top OC.

21 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Josh is making some of the same mistakes now that he made nearly 2 years ago.

Are we sure he's progressing and "learning" ???

His completion % is more what I'd call regressing to the mean.

I think he’s improving... the problem is he was so raw coming in that the improvement feels like it’s moving at a snails pace...

1 hour ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

We have ten wins this season and possibly 11. Been in every game and have turned the corner in year 3. We are set up for sustainable future success. It’s been such a fun season to enjoy for a change from the past 20 years.

The only negativity has come from this board about our second year quarterback week in and week out.  Our qb has 27 Total td to 9 ints. He is on the path to have a lot of success in this league. 

Most of us objective fans have no problem criticizing 

when warranted and we will. But again we realize this is year 2 and expect to see even more improvement next year.

It sucks some of you haven’t been able to enjoy this season and only come to chat when we lose, never hear a peep during a win..

Good post! I have to take exception to the bolded part though. It’s only after a loss. The Hater crowd has had a disappointing season as they’ve had to shut their damn trap 10 times already and the regular season isn’t even over yet.

But Hey! They’re our ‘spice of life’. Even if they are ridiculously incorrect.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, JaCrispy said:

I think he’s improving... the problem is he was so raw coming in that the improvement feels like it’s moving at a snails pace...

It also has to do with the development of other QBs who come in and take over right away. Mahommes & Jackson are both guys who have been talked about as league MVPs in their first couple seasons.  But then the same fans preaching patience with Allen are calling other QBs busts  without giving them similar time to develop. If Allen wasn't a Bill fans wouldnt be worrying about having to face him in a game and would be saying the same things they complain that the talking heads are saying about him.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

Absurd? 

Im just going to leave this right here.   This is and objective review of Allen by the same national media.  (with clips in link) 

"And that is how a quarterback goes 13-for-26. And that is why he now has 14 starts with a 55 percent completion rate or lower. As in, 14 of his 26 starts. Not great.

Maybe not the guy you take out of Wyoming with the seventh overall pick. Just a thought."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/boston.cbslocal.com/2019/12/22/josh-allen-was-terrible-great-afc-title-game-preview-leftover-patriots-thoughts/amp/

Consistency and accuracy has been his biggest problem and his minimal improvement in those areas is what objective fans are concerned about and point out. 

Its not absurd to say Allen displays 25% magic and 75% sub par play in the majority his career. 

Yup... people give him a pass because it’s his second year- and rightfully so...but make no mistake about it, if he continues to miss open receivers like this next year, you will start to see a lot more bills fans coming out with pitch forks and torches...

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

It’s not ironic, because if I’m ever wrong it’s a typo or a brain fart, never a mistake borne of complete ignorance of the Bills or the NFL in general. I dunked on that dude like Dominique Wilkins. Time to kiss the ring!

Over the course of a year, they play a mix of different opponents. One QB’s defense allows 31 ppg on average. The others’ allows 16 ppg  on average. Which teams’ offense (including QB) is under more pressure to perform to produce wins?

I can’t remember saying “it’s all defense”, but do feel free to point me to the post.

Please. Expressly stating and implying are close enough for tea in China. Don't play the wordsmith game; just respond to the point or move on.

48 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Dude, you never said he was horrific, just that he was horrific?

Cmon. You're better than this.

2 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Yup... people give him a pass because it’s his second year- and rightfully so...but make no mistake about it, if he continues to miss open receivers like this next year, you will start to see a lot more bills fans coming out with pitch forks and torches...

Nobody gives him a pass. Many folks, however, are willing to live with the misses at this point in his career given that he often makes up for it with spectacular plays that result in points.

Too many people forget that Allen was the most raw QB coming out last year. In a perfect world, THIS was supposed to be his first year actually playing.

I think he's far and away better than anybody thought he would be at this point. The biggest question is how much farther he can come. Based on what I've seen, I think he can get there. He doesn't ever look confused or overmatched. Sure, his play needs to be better. 

If he takes the kind of jump from year 2 to 3 as he did from 1 to 2, we're going to be in for a hell of a ride.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Good post! I have to take exception to the bolded part though. It’s only after a loss. The Hater crowd has had a disappointing season as they’ve had to shut their damn trap 10 times already and the regular season isn’t even over yet.

But Hey! They’re our ‘spice of life’. Even if they are ridiculously incorrect.

Sorry your right on the above point! 

8 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

Too many people forget that Allen was the most raw QB coming out last year. In a perfect world, THIS was supposed to be his first year actually playing.

I think he's far and away better than anybody thought he would be at this point. The biggest question is how much farther he can come. Based on what I've seen, I think he can get there. He doesn't ever look confused or overmatched. Sure, his play needs to be better. 

If he takes the kind of jump from year 2 to 3 as he did from 1 to 2, we're going to be in for a hell of a ride.

This^^ No one thought he would be as good as he has been this early in career. He was the long term project guy with a huge ceiling. When he hits that ceiling, he is going to be the best QB in NFL and that could be as early as next year. Get your popcorn haters, some fun ball is ahead. ?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, badassgixxer05 said:

This^^ No one thought he would be as good as he has been this early in career. He was the long term project guy with a huge ceiling. When he hits that ceiling, he is going to be the best QB in NFL and that could be as early as next year. Get your popcorn haters, some fun ball is ahead. ?

No one? ?

1 minute ago, badassgixxer05 said:

Agreed. I understand that we all live "in the moment" but I think if you told everybody on draft night that he would be as good as he is, nearing the end of year two, we'd have all taken that in a HEARTBEAT. 

268-456, 3084 yards. 20 TDs, 9 INTs. 553 rushing yards for 9 additional TDs. Led his team to a 10-win (maybe 11?) season and a playoff berth. I'd have taken that straight to the bank.

• Like (+1) 1