What to do at DE next year

Process

6 hours ago, BillsinChesterSprings said:

With the bounty of talent the Bills have drafted in the last 3 drafts, I would not hesitate to trade to the GMEN 2# 1's and a 2nd for the the #2 overall this year and draft Chase Young.  Chase is a generational talent and will be on rookie contract for 4 years.

He’s Clowney all over again. If you want Clowney just go get him in free agency 

Ultimately we’ll know more after free agency. Need DE, WR, RT, CB, LB, K and P. We’ll see what they do. This is a great year for DE and WR so I hope we fill RT, CB and LB in free agency. Could see us using a few low round picks on K and P. At least that’s how I hope it plays out. 

RD1: Laviska Shenault, WR

RD2: Kenny Willekes, DE

RD3: Stephen Guidry, WR

Go corner, OL and LB in free agency.

6 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

My worry is Shaq disappears after getting a pay raise. He's been solid this year but still a depth guy. Yet also have concerns with position long term which makes me look to the draft compared to free agency. 

Yeah, draft is likely imo.  I think we’ll have Hughes flanked by either Lawson or Murphy and a 1st or 2nd rd pick and johnson in as the 4th

23 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

The thing is even re-signing Lawson he's way better on the right side so we still need a upgrade on the left side.

He's built more like a LDE, but seems to rush better from the right, which he played in college.  I'd definitely re-sign him to play LDE and cut Murphy.

Btw, Shaq and Phillips have the most QB hits for the Bills, and it's not even close.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

So your plan is to get rid of all our DE's? Cool story.

Keep Lawson and make him a full time starter. Draft Hughes future replacement, train him (develop) like Lawson.

Literally said I don't think we should get rid of Hughes. Cool story, bro. 

Murphy is only a $1M hit if let go.... Saves roughly $5M that can be some of what it takes to resign Shaq, Shaq will probably get around $8-10M per tops.

Sign Bud Dupree (6’4” 260lbs) to fill in at DE on passing downs and could fit Lorax OLB role on run downs. Bud Dupree is gonna warrent $12-14M per. 

Plus draft a DE in the mid rounds. 

Hughes, Shaq, Bud Dupree, Johnson in 2nd year, Draft pick should be solid.

I also live Kamal Martin OLB Minnesota in the draft for this defense.

42 minutes ago, frogger said:

I think we need to upgrade the outside pass rush, Ideally I’d get Bud Dupree...he’s having a great year with 9.5 sacks (with 2 games left) sign him for about 15-17 million a year.  In the most recent Todd McShay mock he had Buffalo picking a WR, but still on the board was AJ Epenesa, sign Bud Dupree and draft Epenesa who I think could become Cam Jordan like, raw but big and athletic.  Let Shaq walk, release Murphy and move Hughes to the Lorax role, I think most of his contract is guaranteed so releasing him doesn’t help.

then address the OL in Free agency and get a WR both in Free agency and draft.

Side note, i know this is an unpopular opinion, but when KC releases Watkins, I’d sign him, with Buffalo’s medical staff they might be able to keep him healthy. A 1 yr prove it deal.

Then sign Conklin (9th ranked PFF RT, one time 1st team all pro) and Scherff (6th ranked PFF Guard).

$15-17M for Dupree is high. That would make him one of if not the highest OLB. The Market say $16M, but the dude has only had 1 good season.... this year. I’m saying $12-14M, maybe 4yr $52M....

6 minutes ago, Sunshower said:

Ultimately we’ll know more after free agency. Need DE, WR, RT, CB, LB, K and P. We’ll see what they do. This is a great year for DE and WR so I hope we fill RT, CB and LB in free agency. Could see us using a few low round picks on K and P. At least that’s how I hope it plays out. 

RD1: Laviska Shenault, WR

RD2: Kenny Willekes, DE

RD3: Stephen Guidry, WR

Go corner, OL and LB in free agency.

RD 1 Curtis Weaver, DE

RD 2 Michael Pittman Jr, WR

RD 3 Ashtyn Davis, DB/RS

8 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Murphy is only a $1M hit if let go.... Saves roughly $5M that can be some of what it takes to resign Shaq, Shaq will probably get around $8-10M per tops.

Sign Bud Dupree (6’4” 260lbs) to fill in at DE on passing downs and could fit Lorax OLB role on run downs. Bud Dupree is gonna warrent $12-14M per. 

Plus draft a DE in the mid rounds. 

Hughes, Shaq, Bud Dupree, Johnson in 2nd year, Draft pick should be solid.

I also live Kamal Martin OLB Minnesota in the draft for this defense.

$15-17M for Dupree is high. That would make him one of if not the highest OLB. The Market say $16M, but the dude has only had 1 good season.... this year. I’m saying $12-14M, maybe 4yr $52M....

He'd be a full time end here, agree on the 4 yr 52 ballpark.

29 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I like Shaq just not at an overly inflated price.

Agreed.  If his price is inflated, I think murphy will be back along with a 1st or 2nd rd pick plus a couple lower priced free agents.  

Ngakoue is the only guy I’d pay big bucks too because he’s a legit replacement for Jerry

Just now, NewEra said:

Agreed.  If his price is inflated, I think murphy will be back along with a 1st or 2nd rd pick plus a couple lower priced free agents.  

Ngakoue is the only guy I’d pay big bucks too because he’s a legit replacement for Jerry

I agree Jerry needs to take a lesser roll (as no ready to cut him) but Ngakoue's size concerns me. If he was 260s I'd feel better.

1 hour ago, Real McNasty said:

So your plan is to get rid of all our DE's? Cool story.

Keep Lawson and make him a full time starter. Draft Hughes future replacement, train him (develop) like Lawson.

Bolded is what should be done.

Let Murphy go as well.

9 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

We need a stud WR though more than a stud DE. Our defense is very good without great LDE play and I think there is a good chance we re-sign Lawson. Let Murphy go. Hughes is still very good. Spend some FA money on a pass rusher and draft a WR high. 

I wasn't taking free agency into account. If the Bills were to sign a DE before the draft, then I would be completely fine with going for a wide receiver in the first round.

9 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

We need a stud WR though more than a stud DE. Our defense is very good without great LDE play and I think there is a good chance we re-sign Lawson. Let Murphy go. Hughes is still very good. Spend some FA money on a pass rusher and draft a WR high. 

Rookie WRs usually take some time to develop.  I'd prefer Bills sign a FA WR and draft a WR in the 1st or 2nd.  DE would be the other pick.  

I've always been a huge Hughes fan.   Another poster made the point today, that for whatever reason, other teams are allowed to hold Hughes without being called for a penalty.  We've know that to be true for ever, but this posters point was, we should move on from Hughes because of it.  

I'm in full agreement with moving on from Hughes now.  We can't allow our top pass rusher to be held every play without drawing any penalties.  He is taken completely out of the game because of it.  

15 hours ago, Process said:

Bills game plan today was to not blitz Brady and it really exposed how desperate this team is for pass rushers along the DL. Brady had all day all game. Ideally we will have two new starters next year. What do we do with the guys we have and who do we get?

Hughes- don't see a reason to cut or trade him. Keep him as a vet situational player but his days as a starter should be over. 

Lawson- really hope the bills don't re sign him. He's been solid this year no doubt, but it's also the first year he's really even been noticeable. In a contract year hmm? And right now our d line is full of "solid" guys, our problem is we have no real impact players. He's going to get overpaid, use the money to go out and get some stud playermakers that will really make a difference. 

Murphy- he has to go, right? Does anyone have a case for not cutting him? He's completely useless out there. 

If Ngakoue makes it to FA he should be our #1 target. We have the cap space, get him. We also need to take a guy rounds 1/2 of the draft. 

DE is an interesting position.  The FA class at DE is pretty strong, so even if Shaq does walk, there will be options to replace him.

I don’t know if I see this team giving Yannick a huge deal.  I think we might be more likely to draft at the position or sign a few players in FA like they did at OL this season.  

I think we certainly need to get out of the Murphy contract and Hughes becomes interesting....because like McCoy this year, I can see them moving on from him as well.  

I’m not sold on Lawson. Not that he can’t play. Just whether or not he is a process guy this year because it’s his contract year!! I’ll leave it to McDermott!! Murphy, Hughes and Alexander need replacing IMO! Alexander breaks my heart because he’s my kind of player but I remember thinking that his level of play has suffered recently or he is injured?! He’s not making many plays of late. Hughes could be used in situational packages for another year? We need fresh blood but guys who don’t wait until their 5th year to show it!!

And that goes for Phillips too!!

Ya gotta love Ed Oliver and I think in time he would be very good at DE for a handful of plays!! He has the skillset for it!!

16 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

My worry is Shaq disappears after getting a pay raise. He's been solid this year but still a depth guy. Yet also have concerns with position long term which makes me look to the draft compared to free agency. 

All of our DE except rookie Johnson are in decline.  Time to do cuts, save $$ and bring in younger veterans,  a high calibre stud, a 1st round pick or take a couple of shots 4th round or lower.

16 hours ago, NewEra said:

OL imo.  Our OL is much better than last year.  Not hard to do when you have a bottom 2 OL.  I think we’re middle of the pack or maybe bottom 1/3 of the league when we have Ford playing RT.  Nsekhe plays fine when healthy.  He’s 33+ with bad knees.  I don’t think he can be counted on next year as anything more than a swing tackle.  Ford should be at guard.  

RT is #1 (followed by WR) on my biggest needs list.  Building a dominant OL for JA would be my #1 goal.  Giving JA another WR (over 6’1) number 2.  Watch the last two offensive plays.  Ford gets blown by on both plays. He’ll improve, but his foot speed is clearly lacking.  Dawkins literally trips over his own feet on the 4th down play. OL couldn’t be counted on when JA needed him most

Between Shaq and Murphy, I think one will return and we’ll draft a DE in rd 1 or 2.  

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/28/2020-nfl-draft-offensive-tackle-prospects-to-watch-for-in-2019/

Here are 10 possible offensive tackles who have the size and the skill to maybe  add to the offensive line.  I think that once you are past the top 15 picks, drafting a OT is starting to become more of a crap shoot.  Most will be adequate,  a few will flame out and a few will be really good.  Use the 1st round pick on WR or DE and upgrade the OL with the second round pick.

3 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

All of our DE except rookie Johnson are in decline.  Time to do cuts, save $$ and bring in younger veterans,  a high calibre stud, a 1st round pick or take a couple of shots 4th round or lower.

We can be short sited though as we also have concerns at RB, depth on the O-line and arguably at LB. As yes we need to improve for 2020 want to be able to be in a position to be at the best of the AFC East in 2021 and beyond. I'm all for bringing a mid priced ticket to replace LorAx and improve our WRs after Brown and Beasley and maybe a better #2 CB yet we have to remember we also need to reup core guys like Hyde/Poyer/White/Milano too. 

Hughes has been dealing with a groin injury for the better part of the year & they have him signed to a extension i don't see him going anywhere .

I think the rookie Daryl Johnson can be a better player if he can up his weight & strength a bit which he should be able to & he can take Shaqs spot at DE seeing as he's a McD pick .

Hughes has a $9.5M cap hit in 2020.  Hughes Dead Money if he is cut is $10.85M.

There is no chance he will be cut.  If traded Hughes Dead Money is $4.2M and for $5.3M (2020 cost) for the team trading for him

there is a chance a trade could happen but unlikely IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/22/2019 at 12:18 AM, Process said:

Bills game plan today was to not blitz Brady and it really exposed how desperate this team is for pass rushers along the DL. Brady had all day all game. Ideally we will have two new starters next year. What do we do with the guys we have and who do we get?

Hughes- don't see a reason to cut or trade him. Keep him as a vet situational player but his days as a starter should be over. 

Lawson- really hope the bills don't re sign him. He's been solid this year no doubt, but it's also the first year he's really even been noticeable. In a contract year hmm? And right now our d line is full of "solid" guys, our problem is we have no real impact players. He's going to get overpaid, use the money to go out and get some stud playermakers that will really make a difference. 

Murphy- he has to go, right? Does anyone have a case for not cutting him? He's completely useless out there. 

If Ngakoue makes it to FA he should be our #1 target. We have the cap space, get him. We also need to take a guy rounds 1/2 of the draft. 

I agree, at least 2 new pass rushers are needed, 1 through the draft and 1 through free agency would be ideal. Cut Star Louteleilei and Trent Murphy and do not resign Shaq Lawson. Ngakoue should definitely be a target and most likely will be but unfortunately he will command a kings ransom which we could pay and probably should if we cut those other 2. A tall WR with solid hands should also be at the top of the list as well.

On 12/22/2019 at 5:16 AM, BillsinChesterSprings said:

With the bounty of talent the Bills have drafted in the last 3 drafts, I would not hesitate to trade to the GMEN 2# 1's and a 2nd for the the #2 overall this year and draft Chase Young.  Chase is a generational talent and will be on rookie contract for 4 years.

I don’t think that gets us to #2 overall.

I agree our drafting has been great, steady and consistent.  I think we should stick to that process one more year.  That would include DE and WR this year.  That would pretty much address every position on our team in the last 3-4 drafts with impact players that fit out process and schemes.

That would give us a strong base of talent, depth and upside at all positions.  Then plug and play through the draft moving forward.  Keep up the great drafting. 

Then the following year and moving forward it would be more flexible to trade up for those types of players. But, not make a habit of it.

We have a great blueprint.  Let’s rinse and repeat our off seasons.  Don’t need to get fancy and make the big splash and win the offseason.

JMO

On 12/22/2019 at 9:47 AM, whorlnut said:

Or the other way around.

With how much McD loves defense, I could honestly see a first round round DE followed by a second round WR.

Last night was proof. He got the lead and instantly went into conservative mode right after Allen hit Brown on the deep td. Instead of riding that momentum, they went run, run, run, punt on the next series and were content on putting it into the defenses hands. 

They will draft a DE in the first, which wouldn’t upset me too bad as long as they go offense in the next two rounds. Someone like Gross-Matos would be awesome in this defense. 

Agree on everything...

On 12/22/2019 at 11:35 AM, The Jokeman said:

Here is my thoughts and Shaq analysis....

- a reach when drafted

- drafted for a 3-4 defense

- missed training camp his rookie year and first 8 games (approximately)

- team had poor management, coaching, leadership 

- earned playing time and confidence with McD

- we have heard from Shaq and Inner circles of the Bills Shaq has learned how to be a professional and prepare as one

- now in 4th year performing

- one of very few holdovers from previous regime, adapted and grew as a person, player and professional 

- a late bloomer with the right direction, coaching, health and environment 

- IMO he can’t be a #1 DE

- BUT, is a good #2, very good #3

What is that worth.  $8-10 million a year?  4 year deal front loaded.  No brainer.  $12 million plus and I am not sure the value.  We do have cap room now to front load.

Hughes is fine.  Cut Murphy.  Draft a pass rusher.  Sign Shaq.  Franchise Philips if we can’t sign him.  If we can sign him....similar deal as Shaq.  Less years on Phillips the better with Harrison and Oliver.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Do The Reich Thing said:

Has Clowney been extended yet?

What? Please tell me this is a joke. 
Clowney has 3 sacks this year. You know who else has 3 sacks and more tackles than the clown? Yeah Trent Murphy does. Please tell me you don’t want to cut Murphy and let Shaq walk to pay clowney 100 million because you’ve heard his name before. 
He played a lot of healthy snaps for Seattle earlier this year before being in his current banged up status as usual. 

On 12/22/2019 at 12:52 AM, LB48 said:

The PATS made Murphy play the fool today.  How many times did they give him an inside rushing lane and then run to where he was supposed to be?  He took the bait every time and left our LB's trying to cover for him.     

Murphy- another lousy tackler too.