WEEK 10: B-

WEEK 11: A

WEEK 12: B

WEEK 13: A

WEEK 14: C

WEEK 15: A

WEEK 16: B

13/26 - 208 yards - 2 TDʻs - 43 yards rushing

Tonight was the big stage at probably one of the toughest places to play. The last time we played the Pats, Josh went 13/28 - 153 yards and 3 INTʻs and tonight he did much better.

Big plays to John Brown and Knox, however it was their only catches of the game.

43 yards rushing tonight, when our RB1 Devin Singletary only has 46.

Josh Allen did not do enough tonight to win us that game... that is a fact. However, I am beginning to feel that perhaps it is not all on him and we are starting to see why Brian Daboll is just an OC and never head coach material. Or, maybe it just isnʻt a good mix?

When the game was on the line we started driving down the field and I felt confident that Josh was gonna deliver. The injury to Morse hurt, as did the missed facemask call. His over throw to Knox needs to be made, as tough as a throw as that is to complete.

I think we have all gotten to the point that we know the sexy 300 yard games, or 3 TD passing barrage nights will never happen with this guy, but his grit and toughness is always the non negotiable. The question is... is it enough to win in the NFL? And if it is, do we have the right players and OC to be able to accomplish that task?

GO BILLS!

• Like (+1) 1

I give him a B+/A-. 

His 2 deep throws may have put the deep ball accuracy problem to rest and his runs, including another amazing 4th down QB sneak that had no business being converted, showed that this guy is real close to being a dominating QB.  He drove us into position to send the game to OT and just couldn't get the ball into the end zone.  Of course he was playing one of the top 3 D's in the NFL.

It's not putting down the current players to say we need 3 more pieces to push this offense up to the top level:  a RT; another RB and a big/physical WR.  With a WR loaded draft and about $90,000,000 in CAP money we should be able to get all 3 with enough money left over to lock up the folks we need to lock up. 

• Like (+1) 3

And didnt he only have like 20 yards passing at halftime?  So he was feeling it in the 2nd half.  

Yet we took our foot off the gas after going up 17-13.  Dabol coached it and Allen probably played hearing "just don't turn it over" in their ears.  They needed to be saying "foot on the gas keep going."

At halftime he was at a D-. 

I give him an A for the 2nd half.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

B- from me.

Still missing too many easy throws.  Almost pulled off some 4th quarter magic again, though, which was fun to watch.  No clue how he stayed on his feet during that 4th-and-1

Agree with this. B- seems about right. Made a few big time throws and rushes. But missed a few wide open throws that would have made the difference. None bigger than the miss to Knox on the final drive. He has to be able to hit those throws to move into A territory. 

A. 

He had a 102.7 QBR with 2 Tds and no turnovers, and throw in 45 yards rushing. Everyone would have signed up for this before the game. He was facing a defense giving opposing passers a 49.8 QBR, 12.9 ppg and the GOAT as its defensive coach. Yeah he missed some throws. But, it can be argued nobody on the team played a better game than he did, and especially given the circumstances. Our defense was horrendous today and was lucky to only allow 24 points, could have easily been over 30. Josh was the least of our problems today.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I think you’re being to generous here. The film  will likely show (IMO) that Allen missed 2-4 big throws. Those are the difference makers. 

he missed 3 in the 1st half to kill 3 straight drives alone, plus the ball to knox at the end of the game, so yes he missed at least 4. 

C+. Made 2 beautiful deep balls and gritted out another 4 and 1 conversion that was awesome. No turnovers. But something is off - the footwork looks baaad. Worse than earlier in the season. Double clutching all over the place. Not sure he’s trusting what he’s seeing (against NE’s defense, granted, so it may not turn out to be on ongoing thing.)

Considering the level of the opponent (the clear best defense in football), Josh played a solid B minus game. No turnovers, 2 TD Passes, good rushing. Played better when down as well like is becoming his norm. I am encouraged by his progress vs. NE and this season overall. The kid has thrown 3 total INTS since the 1st Pats game.

it's tough to grade Allen when he plays in an offense like this 

should he have made that throw to knox on the last drive? yes, but the other 3 plays were a disaster from everyone else. our oline is still a massive question mark. we have 2 NFL quality WR's and only 1 servacible RB. Gore is a walking corpse at this point. 

D. He flat-out missed on multiple throws where he had time, a good pocket, and an open receiver. These were throws that almost any other NFL quarterback makes. It’s getting old. He also again took sacks he could have avoided. He made some nice plays, but it really feels like every throw is a roll of the dice as far as accuracy goes. Sometimes he hits, but it’s far from consistent.

8 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I think you’re being to generous here. The film  will likely show (IMO) that Allen missed 2-4 big throws. Those are the difference makers. 

I disagree. He missed two “big throws” to Knox. Both of which Kurt Warner (he’s in the HOF, in case you didn’t know) commented on them being difficult throws. Now, that’s not to say he shouldn’t make tough throws, but every single QB misses tough throws. 

I think in in spite of that, josh played well in the face of poor defensive play, inconsistent playcalling, and an offensive line that rarely gave him time when it mattered most.

• Like (+1) 5

14 minutes ago, rayray808 said:

WEEK 1: B-

WEEK 2: B

WEEK 3: C+

WEEK 4: F

WEEK 5: B+

WEEK 7: B

WEEK 8: D+

WEEK 9: B+

Tonight was the big stage at probably one of the toughest places to play. The last time we played the Pats, Josh went 13/28 - 153 yards and 3 INTʻs and tonight he did much better.

Big plays to John Brown and Knox, however it was their only catches of the game.

Josh Allen did not do enough tonight to win us that game... that is a fact. However, I am beginning to feel that perhaps it is not all on him and we are starting to see why Brian Daboll is just an OC and never head coach material. Or, maybe it just isnʻt a good mix?

When the game was on the line we started driving down the field and I felt confident that Josh was gonna deliver. The injury to Morse hurt, as did the missed facemask call. His over throw to Knox needs to be made, as tough as a throw as that is to complete.

I think we have all gotten to the point that we know the sexy 300 yard games, or 3 TD passing barrage nights will never happen with this guy, but his grit and toughness is always the non negotiable. The question is... is it enough to win in the NFL? And if it is, do we have the right players and OC to be able to accomplish that task?

GO BILLS!

Allen missed several routine throws and THIS is the game that you start to think it’s the OC?

The same OC that called the Brown double move that left him wide open? The same OC that called the Knox deep ball at the end of the half, the moving pocket roll out and the fake misdirection Dawkins pss? The same OC that called a corner route for an open Knox at the end of the game that, if Allen hits, ties the game?

• Like (+1) 1

Just wish we could get late 3rd QTR/4th QTR Josh Allen all damn game. 

IF I'm McD i challenge that non-stop until it becomes reality. 

Can anyone explain to me what the deal is here? I have zero clue?????

Does it take Daboll 3 QTR 's to understand the opposing D to breakdown proper play calls? 

Edited by Real McNasty
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Allen missed several routine throws and THIS is the game that you start to think it’s the OC?

The same OC that called the Brown double move that left him wide open? The same OC that called the Knox deep ball at the end of the half, the moving pocket roll out and the fake misdirection Dawkins pss? The same OC that called a corner route for an open Knox at the end of the game that, if Allen hits, ties the game?

The same OC who call a qb run from the 9, the same OC who goes into a shell once we finally got a lead, the same OC who can’t design a screen play or call a slant play? That OC?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Offensive philosophy is a big reason.

In the last 3 games Allen has missed on big plays to wide open players in the 1st couple of drives. Philosophy is fine, Dabol is fine. We need better execution when the plays present themselves. And they have early in games lately. 

26 minutes ago, rayray808 said:

WEEK 1: B-

WEEK 2: B

WEEK 3: C+

WEEK 4: F

WEEK 5: B+

WEEK 7: B

WEEK 8: D+

WEEK 9: B+

GO BILLS!

I agree with a lot of this, but think 300 yard games will come when the offensive talent is upgraded over the offseason.   

ESPECIALLY if he’s put his deep ball issues to bed. 

Accuracy may always be an issue, but he’s accurate enough, with everything else he brings to the table, to have a floor of solid starter and a ceiling of game changer. 

Edited by SCBills

7 minutes ago, Dopey said:

In the last 3 games Allen has missed on big plays to wide open players in the 1st couple of drives. Philosophy is fine, Dabol is fine. We need better execution when the plays present themselves. And they have early in games lately. 

Yeah Josh can improve (big surprise), as can Daboll, McD, the Oline, the receivers and it would be nice to have an other RB. So you can like the offensive approach of close to the vest until we need it and then turn Josh loose, I don't. Let's not ignore the good stuff that he displays either.

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower

1 minute ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Yeah Josh can improve (big surprise), as can Daboll, McD, the Oline, the receivers and it would be nice to have an other RB. So you can like the offensive approach of close to the vest until we need it and then turn Josh loose, I don't. Let's not ignore the good stuff though he displays either.

My post said guys were open and missed in the first couple of series. That's not playing close to the vest. That's lack of executing when the plays present themselves. Dabol can't throw and catch the ball too. 

2 minutes ago, Dopey said:

My post said guys were open and missed in the first couple of series. That's not playing close to the vest. That's lack of executing when the plays present themselves. Dabol can't throw and catch the ball too. 

They went power and didn't spread them out in the hurry up. That was a mistake. When you say lack of executing, don't ignore the good plays too.

First 29 minutes and 30 seconds: D-

Rest of the game: A-. If he hits Knox at the end it's an A+.

The Patriots defense is ridiculously good against the pass. They have struggled against the run but our run game was garbage today so Allen had to do it all on his own. In that context I was very happy with his 2nd half performance.

I'd like to see Allen get off to better starts. He tends to improve significantly as the game goes on but we can't go a whole quarter with him missing open receivers every game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

B- from me.

Still missing too many easy throws.  Almost pulled off some 4th quarter magic again, though, which was fun to watch.  No clue how he stayed on his feet during that 4th-and-1

This!  And he still can't get himself to throw the ball away when there's nothing there or he's under duress.

Edited by Formerly Allan in MD

26 minutes ago, IronyAbounds said:

At what point will Allen stop being graded on a curve? This was a C performance. A few very good throws mixed in with lots of inaccurate ones.  Not being able to get TDs out of the first and last drives was a big cause for the loss.

I disagree totally they played 5 of top 10 defenses in league in consecutive weeks low scoring games are to be expected 

7 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

They went power and didn't spread them out in the hurry up. That was a mistake. When you say lack of executing, don't ignore the good plays too.

I'm not ignoring the good plays. I'm not even upset with the game. I just think we left too many plays out there that were properly called, early in the game. Too many folks getting on Dabol when it looks like Allen has to warm up 1st. If We hit a couple of open plays early, we most likely have a lead.

Josh missed a few throws.  Every QB misses a few throws.  Daboll sucks because he keeps putting Allen in second and third and long.  No QB does well playing in third and long for half the game.  We take the lead and come out with 3 running plays.  Was there any play action whatsoever? The RPOs are terrible.  This team can't run a screen at all. They continually start McKenzie and Foster who are amazing at jet sweeps and we have run 1 of them over the last 3 weeks.  The guy constantly takes what works out of the playbook.  The guy constantly gameplans to the strength of the opposing defense.  There doesn't seem to be an rhythm or reason to Dabols play calling.  It completely lacks any semblance of someone who is playing chess. It more looks like a guy that just randomly calls stuff.  Sometimes it looks like he might be setting something up but the play never actually comes.

First drive after a turnover: run, run, run, run, run... 3rd and 7 pass, FG

Drive after taking the lead: run, run, run, punt

We ran the ball on first down 7 of 10 drives. 1 of the 3 drives we didn't run on first down we scored a TD. Probably the only reason we didn't on that drive is it was the end of the half drive with 33 seconds left. The 2 remaining drives were pretty much pass, pass, pass, punt.  Allen took a sack in both.

Do you think good defenses with good coaching doesn't pick up on this stuff?  It's too easy for a defense to tee off on this offense. We either run on first down or we are passing the entire series.  If they get good yardage on first down run they are likely running the ball until the defense stops the run in which case the team is likely in 3rd and long again.  If they are in 3rd and short expect a shot.  Most teams take that shot on 2nd and short because they can afford to.  If they miss, the entire playbook is still open on 3rd down.  Not us. No.  2nd and short we are trying to run the football.  Then we take the low percentage shot down field on 3rd down.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

C-

20 yards of passing for the first 28 minutes of the game.   Failed to capitalize on short field from defensive turnover.  Failed to capitalize to a wide open Knox with the game on the line. 

The only thing saving him from a D grade was the fact he had no turnovers. 

This was a below average performance. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Real McNasty said:

Just wish we could get late 3rd QTR/4th QTR Josh Allen all damn game. 

IF I'm McD i challenge that non-stop until it becomes reality. 

Can anyone explain to me what the deal is here? I have zero clue?????

Does it take Daboll 3 QTR 's to understand the opposing D to breakdown proper play calls? 

We’re usually a better 2nd half team, especially Allen. I think this is a testament to our coaches ability to make the right halftime adjustments 

• Like (+1) 1

What I like: You never feel like we have no chance with him. The last drive, he did all he could. Yes, one miss, but that was not an easy throw--I'd say 60/40 for NFL QBs. The 1st down call at the 8 yard line is the big mystery there. And not calling a timeout to set up the last play, come on, you ahve to be ready for the all-out blitz ???

Also, How about some credit for engineering that end of the 1st half TD, 60+ yards in 40 seconds. That was big-time!

Edited by CSBill
  • Like (+1) 1

I thought the Patriots owned the lines on both sides of the ball.  How many times was Brady hit vs Josh?  How much did the Bills get from their run game vs what the Pats got from theirs?  Playcalling and QB playmaking look different through the lens of overmatched lineplay. 

OT would have been fun but the Pats would have had the advantage there due to their line play.  Brady had a much easier game than Josh, imo.