Play Offs - Play em or Sit em vs Jets

T master

After yrs of not having to make some certain decisions due to not making the play offs here we are with our Bills team having a play off berth locked up with 2 games to play. 

I think this weeks game against the Pats is a huge game for the Bills when it comes to confidence going forward & i think they can win this game with what they have learned in the previous game with the Pats & the last 2 games against the Ravens & Steelers .

Given that when the Bills beat the Pats this week end, in the last game of the season who if any one do you sit & who do you play ?

Usually teams sit the starters saving them for the play offs but given the Bills short comings on offense do you sit the starters or play them ? Some of the defensive players like Hughes due to his groin problem i would sit him & there may be some others on the D that you can sit because they have been playing at a high level but what about the

offense ?

I think the offense needs all the reps they can get to stay in some what of a groove & hopefully continue their growth from game to game to hopefully get them a deep run into the play offs !

What's all of your fan/gm thoughts of what to do in the last game weather they win or not the Bills have a play off berth & entering uncharted territory for some of these players will it help or hurt them to sit or should they play !! What say you ?? 

Just now, T master said:

After yrs of not having to make some certain decisions due to not making the play offs here we are with our Bills team having a play off berth locked up with 2 games to play. 

I think this weeks game against the Pats is a huge game for the Bills when it comes to confidence going forward & i think they can win this game with what they have learned in the previous game with the Pats & the last 2 games against the Ravens & Steelers .

Given that when the Bills beat the Pats this week end, in the last game of the season who if any one do you sit & who do you play ?

Usually teams sit the starters saving them for the play offs but given the Bills short comings on offense do you sit the starters or play them ? Some of the defensive players like Hughes due to his groin problem i would sit him & there may be some others on the D that you can sit because they have been playing at a high level but what about the

offense ?

I think the offense needs all the reps they can get to stay in some what of a groove & hopefully continue their growth from game to game to hopefully get them a deep run into the play offs !

What's all of your fan/gm thoughts of what to do in the last game weather they win or not the Bills have a play off berth & entering uncharted territory for some of these players will it help or hurt them to sit or should they play !! What say you ?? 

With the division title still at stake I don't see anybody being rested barring unknown to the public injury issues.  Even guys like Gore who show signs of wear will still get snaps.  We are fairly healthy overall going into the last two games.

• Like (+1) 2

If the Bills beat the Pats then the division is still in play. In this case the Bills will play everybody against the Jets and hope that the Fins can upset the Pats. If the Bills lose this weekend and are locked into to the #4 vs #5 matchup then they will probably rest some starters especially players who are banged up.

• Like (+1) 6

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Seems to be little regard for the “anything can happen” aspect of football. If we beat NE*** on Saturday, that is all the MORE reason to play everyone against the Jest the following week. 

Seriously.  Do people really give the Dolphins behind a motivated Fitzy NO chance in Foxboro the following week?  I think it's a 20/80 proposition.

• Like (+1) 2

playoffs is one word  FWIW 

1 minute ago, eball said:

Seriously.  Do people really give the Dolphins behind a motivated Fitzy NO chance in Foxboro the following week?  I think it's a 20/80 proposition.

on any given Sunday

1 minute ago, Pokebball said:

If the Bills beat the Pats, the starters will play the Jets just in case the Fish pull the upset.

Didn't Transplant have a thread / poll on this subject? 

If Bills beat NE, I fully expect all to play vs Jets.

If Bills lose to NE, I would sit key players (Allen, Singletary, Brown, Tre, Hyde, Poyer... and maybe a few more, especially some of the older guys) - no sense risking injury since we'd be locked in on the 5th seed.

It's really a win-win either way after this weekend.

Either we're (1) playing for the division (and likely a bye)

OR...(2) we get to rest guys week 17 to get ready for wildcard game.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, eball said:

I agree there is little chance, especially in Foxboro this time of year. But NOTHING is preordained in the NFL. Nothing. We simp.y shouldn’t take that for granted. 

• Like (+1) 2

Ideally, we win on Saturday, because apart from anything else, it pretty much forces the Cheats to play all their starters against the fins.

If we don't win, then I'd still be putting out as full a starting team as I could against the Jest. Having said that, I'd have no problem resting any starter against them, who has any sort of niggling injury. Bearing in mind we would have a playoff game coming up, getting back to winning, seems like the way to go in that situation.

I hope McDermott starts all regular starters with the expectation that the Bills and Dolphins can beat the Pats and the Bills can win the division.  I would be okay with that even if Allen or another key player gets injured for the rest of the season.  Time to establish a winning attitude with this organization and you don’t achieve that sitting your starters when you still have something to play for no matter how unlikely it may seem.

• Like (+1) 1

If we lose to New England, sit the starters. If we win, start everybody and win the game. Never know if Fitzmagic will show up and serve the Patriots a loss. Then we win the division and get a home playoff game.

16 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If we win Saturday everybody plays.

If we lose Saturday everybody sits.

Pretty Simple

Agree pretty much.

Only thing I'd add for Week 17.  The full team should be readied to play the Jets.  **Hopefully we kill the Jets in the first half**

Watch the scoreboard for the NE/Miami game (they play at the same time). If NE gets a big lead on Miami, then I'd pull the starters at halftime.

BUT it would be very good for the psyche of the team and fans if we have a TIE record wise with New England. (Both win)

47 minutes ago, HulkSmashMafia said:

If we lose to new england and are locked into the 5th seed do we rest our starters against the Jets?

You at least play them half or more of game. But likely the entire game. Barkley goes 24-30 for 355 yds and 4 td's. D Williams catches 10 for 122, R Foster 8 for 165, Yeldon runs for 133. Bills subs win 42-14. 

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

And then Barkley lights up the Jets and we’re on to Nashville for the playoffs! Where’s Wade Phillips when we need him?

Don't you mean Ralph Wilson?   And let's not forget McD could get too excited and annoint him Peterman 2.0!!!!

2 minutes ago, ogham26 said:

yep gotta sit as many starters as possible and treat it like a bye week.  prep for Houston should have already started.

If they lose & again the O sputters, they need to play & be sharp.  Sorry <150 yards passing the past two games is not a good sign.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, HulkSmashMafia said:

If we lose to new england and are locked into the 5th seed do we rest our starters against the Jets?

Yeah, that would be a good idea. Nothing left to play for, Pats aren't going to choke against Miami. We're not winning the division this year.

7 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

My mind says yes.  Rest Josh and key starters.  Zero upside letting them play.  But I really want that 11th win. 

The only thing that bothers me is that Josh needs reps to keep his head & arm connected so that during the game after he sits a game he doesn't have to warm up per say . It usually takes him a half to get his stuff together & i'm just afraid taking a set for one game might not be good ...