Watt punch on Allen run - He hung on to the ball!

8 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

That’s not what I am arguing. I understood what you are saying and players have tried to punch balls out forever. That’s not the point. The point is if you miss and just punch a player in the chest or gut or balls it should be a penalty. Like if you try to swat a ball away from a QB but miss and hit him in the helmet it is a penalty. I’ve been watching football for over 50 years. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a player swing as hard as Watt did with a punch, miss the ball and hit the player. That can’t be legal or guys would do it all the time. 

But it is legal. And they don't do it every time.  For reasons I have already explained.  That was the point. So no, you do not understand what I am saying. At all.

2 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

Downside is missed tackles.  When punching you are not wrapping up the carrier.

Which is exactly what I have explained repeatedly in this thread.

10 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Watt is going to regret throwing those punches so hard. I can respect trying to cause the fumbles but he’s going to shatter that hand at some point. 

THIS! X10000000.

He's going to miss in traffic and punch someones helmet and be out for the season.

2 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Had the Bills punched Watt they'd get a PF and possible ejection. 

thats why you wait until you are in a pile with him and then gauge his eyes

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Stenbar said:

That play should be a penalty. You can't freaking punch someone with the  hopes of jarring the ball loose. If that is the case then  just start punching the hell out of everyone that has possession. Start drafting MMA fighters to force fumbles. LOL...What a freaking joke. SHould be a unsportsmanlike  and a automatic ejection and fine.  I know it is not a rule now but going forward they need to change that immediately

This x1000 I'm all for trying to chop it out etc, but this seems like it is taking it to another level.

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

But it is legal. And they don't do it every time.  For reasons I have already explained.  That was the point. So no, you do not understand what I am saying. At all.

Which is exactly what I have explained repeatedly in this thread.

So, your contention is that a missed punch that connects with a QBs nuts or noggin won't be flagged? You're daft, man.

13 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This may have been tucked into one of the post game threads - apologies if I missed it.

YPP put up a clip of the run play where Allen DIDN'T fumble when Watt punched at the ball.

I thought it was worth a look.  I think Allen has been working hard at ball security, and while it's still a work in progress, I'm impressed that he hung on to the ball here.   "High and tight, Bills Claw!"

Is it just me, or did Watt get him in the parts too?

Allen really is Superman... nobody can hold onto the ball after a Watt Tomahawk chop...

10 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

That’s not what I am arguing. I understood what you are saying and players have tried to punch balls out forever. That’s not the point. The point is if you miss and just punch a player in the chest or gut or balls it should be a penalty. Like if you try to swat a ball away from a QB but miss and hit him in the helmet it is a penalty. I’ve been watching football for over 50 years. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a player swing as hard as Watt did with a punch, miss the ball and hit the player. That can’t be legal or guys would do it all the time. 

I agree with you. 

I'm willing to accept what Watt did was legal but just like the NFL has made it, if you try to tackle lower but you miss and hit the helmet it's a penalty - I think punching at the ball and missing, hitting the player in the chest like that should be a penalty.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This may have been tucked into one of the post game threads - apologies if I missed it.

YPP put up a clip of the run play where Allen DIDN'T fumble when Watt punched at the ball.

I thought it was worth a look.  I think Allen has been working hard at ball security, and while it's still a work in progress, I'm impressed that he hung on to the ball here.   "High and tight, Bills Claw!"

It’s clear he pinched the wrong ball. 

• Haha (+1) 3

9 hours ago, Utah John said:

It sure looked to me that Watt missed the ball, either completely or nearly so, but Allen went down exactly like you'd expect a man to do when punched in the balls.  

He was being tackled from behind and got up without any indication that he was even slightly hurting.

17 hours ago, RiotAct said:

was this the one fairly late in the game?  I thought for sure he whiffed completely but I guess not

Looking at the video, I think it's a whiff.  Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

5 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Sorry if this has been asked already but I'm not going to read this whole thread.  Does anyone know if its legal to punch the ball carrier in an attempt to force a fumble?

Yes, it's legal.

50 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Sorry if this has been asked already but I'm not going to read this whole thread.  Does anyone know if its legal to punch the ball carrier in an attempt to force a fumble?

I wondered the same damn thing.  

but in answer I don’t think so. 

only if in anger is my guess 

17 hours ago, Stenbar said:

That play should be a penalty. You can't freaking punch someone with the  hopes of jarring the ball loose. If that is the case then  just start punching the hell out of everyone that has possession. Start drafting MMA fighters to force fumbles. LOL...What a freaking joke. SHould be a unsportsmanlike  and a automatic ejection and fine.  I know it is not a rule now but going forward they need to change that immediately

This... If you punch and miss the ball it should be a penalty, maybe just that act alone should be punishable. It’s the same as slashing in hockey if you ask me...

2 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

Should be unnecessary roughness. Obviously  its not intentional but you cant go around punching people. He missed the ball and hit Allen. Defintiok of unnecessary roughness 

Great point.  Does anyone know whether or not punching the ball carrier is even legal?? It can't be.

20 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

My first thought as well. If you get the ball, fine. Otherwise, personal foul with an ejection. Throwing a punch is an automatic ejection, why shouldn’t it be in this case?

Throwing a punch isn't an automatic ejection. It's an automatic rejection when not part of the play. If an OL punches a rusher in the chest, no problem. It's a (very very dumb) form of blocking (likely to lead to a broken hand and a DL who doesn't notice he's been hit). It's more dangerous to the puncher than the punched is the problem. Open-hand punches to the chest are standard blocking protocol.

Again, punching a guy delivers much much less force than hitting him with standard tackling form. That's why standard tackling form is taught that way. Punch an RB and he'll run right through it. Plant a shoulder in the same place and he's down.

8 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Throwing a punch isn't an automatic ejection. It's an automatic rejection when not part of the play. If an OL punches a rusher in the chest, no problem. It's a (very very dumb) form of blocking (likely to lead to a broken hand and a DL who doesn't notice he's been hit). It's more dangerous to the puncher than the punched is the problem. Open-hand punches to the chest are standard blocking protocol.

Again, punching a guy delivers much much less force than hitting him with standard tackling form. That's why standard tackling form is taught that way. Punch an RB and he'll run right through it. Plant a shoulder in the same place and he's down.

Well, that's your opinion.  The question is and has been is it LEGAL to punch the ball carrier.  The jury is still out on that issue since NO ONE has even attempted to answer the question.

I'm skeptical about the legality because IF it WAS legal, why wouldn't everyone do it on every single play??!?!?!

On 12/17/2019 at 11:43 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

i thought throwing punches was illegal ?

what if he missed ball and knocked the wind out him or hit em in the privates ?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

Well, that's your opinion.  The question is and has been is it LEGAL to punch the ball carrier.  The jury is still out on that issue since NO ONE has even attempted to answer the question.

I'm skeptical about the legality because IF it WAS legal, why wouldn't everyone do it on every single play??!?!?!

If a player punches at the ball and contacts it, it should be legal.  If he misses and hits the player, it should be a penalty.  Similar to being able to hit a punter/kicker if you can contact the ball first.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

If a player punches at the ball and contacts it, it should be legal.  If he misses and hits the player, it should be a penalty.  Similar to being able to hit a punter/kicker if you can contact the ball first.

Use of the word should suggests you don't actually know the rules.  Some questions just weren't meant to be answered repeatedly earlier in this thread.

Watt sees that a teammate is about to tackle Allen from behind, so why not throw an Ivan Drago punch to the ball, totally miss that punch to the ball and hit Allen in the Rocky's.

No harm no foul................. unless you are Josh Allen.

On 12/17/2019 at 11:43 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Allen didnt fumble because he missed the ball completely!  and i think he got him in the ol frank n beans too.  (not intentionally) 

16 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

Should be unnecessary roughness. Obviously  its not intentional but you cant go around punching people. He missed the ball and hit Allen. Defintiok of unnecessary roughness 

Thats a tough call make at full speed and from the  refs angle.. 

18 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

Stop, he was clearly going after the ball and missed. Nothing unnecessary about it. 

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Kicking the ball is legal too. It happens all the time on field goals and kickoffs. Maybe DBs should start trying to karate kick opposing players in hopes of dislodging the ball. 

You can't throw your leg to block or tackle, especially when you're playing NE.