John Brown, offensive mvp of night

dave mcbride

On the winning drive, he catches a 40 yard pass despite being interfered with (catching it got the bills another 7+ or so yards compared to him not catching it), broke up what could easily have been an INT on the next play, and recovered Singletary’s fumble just before the TD throw to Croft. He had one drop, yes, but overall he had a great night.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 13
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Brown like the rest of the team has been a very big surprise this season. I never expected the team to get to 10 wins with so much turnover on offense from last season. Great job by Brown for stepping up and being an integral part of the offense. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

On the winning drive, he catches a 40 yard pass despite being interfered with (catching it got the bills another 7+ or so yards compared to him not catching it), broke up what could easily have been an INT on the next play, and recovered Singletary’s fumble just before the TD throw to Croft. He had one drop, yes, but overall he had a great night.

It's doubly impressive that he continues to make plays when he's about the only eligible receiver on the field that's a legitimate NFL starter

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

If anything I never understood why they don’t target him more. Been lots of games they are successful targeting him in the first half and then they don’t go his way anymore. He cant be completely blanketed the rest of the game 

You can't run an offense through John Brown. He isn't that caliber of receiver, and defenses don't really have to respect anyone else on the team. Credit to Josh Allen for making him this productive. I am very pleasantly surprised by Brown's hands. I knew he could get open at an above average level but he also regularly makes tough catches. He is everything I want in a #2. Put a true #1 across from him next year and the sky's the limit for our passing game.

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

You can't run an offense through John Brown. He isn't that caliber of receiver, and defenses don't really have to respect anyone else on the team. Credit to Josh Allen for making him this productive. I am very pleasantly surprised by Brown's hands. I knew he could get open at an above average level but he also regularly makes tough catches. He is everything I want in a #2. Put a true #1 across from him next year and the sky's the limit for our passing game.

Cooper Kupp

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Cooper Kupp

You see him as a "NUMBER ONE" receiver in a different offense? 

Okay, I'll bite: why? I don't follow the Rams closely, but when I do watch them, it seems like Woods is every bit as integral, if nor more so. Is Kupp injured in recent weeks? Help me see what you see, Inspector...

2 hours ago, Simon said:

It's doubly impressive that he continues to make plays when he's about the only eligible receiver on the field that's a legitimate NFL starter

Beasley is a legit NFL starter.  But if he wants to be regarded as a #2 (or even #1 as some here suggest), he needs to start pulling in some of those higher DOD throws

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

If anything I never understood why they don’t target him more. Been lots of games they are successful targeting him in the first half and then they don’t go his way anymore. He cant be completely blanketed the rest of the game 

He is sometimes, and he's been ineffective sometimes when tightly covered by a physical guy.  We saw that in the Browns game and on the Ravens goal line.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I disagree that he's not a #1 receiver. What is your criteria? No, he's not 6'3 nor is he a high draft pick. And he plays in a running offense with an inconsistent QB. What he's done this year has been remarkable. What more would you want out of him to consider him a #1?

4 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

You see him as a "NUMBER ONE" receiver in a different offense? 

Okay, I'll bite: why? I don't follow the Rams closely, but when I do watch them, it seems like Woods is every bit as integral, if nor more so. Is Kupp injured in recent weeks? Help me see what you see, Inspector...

Came off injury couple weeks ago, was number 1 WR in league before that. Catches EVERYTHING and has big play capability. Plus Zay Jones said he should've been drafted 1st round

26 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I’ll settle for another excellent #2 with Beasley in the slot. A Hopkins or Julio would be cool, but it’s all about stress on the defense, and preventing defensive keys on Brown half the time because of another threat would open up our passing game immensely.

4 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Came off injury couple weeks ago, was number 1 WR in league before that. Catches EVERYTHING and has big play capability. Plus Zay Jones said he should've been drafted 1st round

Apologies, I didn't realize he got the Zay Jones seal of approval! Enough said. Carry on.

But for real, I know he was HIGHLY productive for a decent stretch. Was he doing so as a featured boundary receiver running the full route tree? Did he benefit from scheme and slot alignments? I'm a bit "bearish" on Rams offensive personnel having similar production in different systems.

9 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Apologies, I didn't realize he got the Zay Jones seal of approval! Enough said. Carry on.

But for real, I know he was HIGHLY productive for a decent stretch. Was he doing so as a featured boundary receiver running the full route tree? Did he benefit from scheme and slot alignments? I'm a bit "bearish" on Rams offensive personnel having similar production in different systems.

I mean I would refer to him as Goff's clear #1... Woods #2 Cooks #3. Woods catches everything also but I don't see him stretching the field the way Kupp can. When you have Woods but you look elsewhere always 1st then that's your #1. 

Forgot to mention he is mainly a boundary WR but moves all over the field. Runs full trees...

Edited by Sherlock Holmes

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Beasley is a legit NFL starter.  But if he wants to be regarded as a #2 (or even #1 as some here suggest), he needs to start pulling in some of those higher DOD throws

I think he's a marginal player and an awful fit for this offense..

I hope the Bills move on from him this offseason.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, CSBill said:

He’s now over a 1000 for the season. It’s been a long time for any Bills receiver to hit that. 

It was Stevie right? Three years in a row from Fitz. 

Fitz was only QB who understood him and he should have gone to any team Fitz was on.

Game Game Rece Rece Rece Rece Rece Rece Rece Rece Rece Rece Rece
Year G GS Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD 1D Lng R/G Y/G Ctch% Y/Tgt
2010 16 13 141 82 1073 13.1 10 61 45 5.1 67.1 58.2% 7.6
2011 16 16 134 76 1004 13.2 7 44 55 4.8 62.8 56.7% 7.5
2012 16 16 148 79 1046 13.2 6 52 63 4.9 65.4 53.4% 7.1

7 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Play calling has been suspect for stretches this season, Daboll is a good play designer but not as good with what play to call and when to call it, jmo.

10-4 baby

Go Bills!!!

7 hours ago, QB Bills said:

What more would you want out of him to consider him a #1?

A #1 receiver catches the ball on the final offensive play of the game last week and sends it to overtime. I'm not trying to knock Brown at all. I love what he's brought to this team and his skill set matches up well with Allen. But he is only producing like a #1 WR because we're forcing him to he one, and Allen is delivering him the ball. He doesn't have the skill set required to be a top tier receiver.

1 hour ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

You clearly haven't been watching all season.  Horrible take

No, I've been watching him for 7 seasons.

His 8" catch radius and those oven mitts at the end of his wrists are not an ideal match for a QB with a huge gun that isn't going to throw trip 20's every time.

And not wanting to spoil John Brown's thread I will now slip quietly into the shadows.....

2 hours ago, Simon said:

I think he's a marginal player and an awful fit for this offense..

I hope the Bills move on from him this offseason.

Disagree strongly. He has had some good games and has unique get-open-ability that has helped Allen numerous times. In the throws to Beasley last night, the problem was mostly Allen rather than Beasley, although he did drop one early on that he should have caught.

7 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Disagree strongly. He has had some good games and has unique get-open-ability that has helped Allen numerous times. In the throws to Beasley last night, the problem was mostly Allen rather than Beasley, although he did drop one early on that he should have caught.

I don't think his short-area quickness is unique at all; there's a lot of guys that can come clean on jerk routes in the slot.

And that ball that Beasley converted into another turnover was about 7' off the deck and a play that every WR in the NFL should make in his sleep.

9 minutes ago, Simon said:

I don't think his short-area quickness is unique at all; there's a lot of guys that can come clean on jerk routes in the slot.

And that ball that Beasley converted into another turnover was about 7' off the deck and a play that every WR in the NFL should make in his sleep.

I am NOT going to blame Beasley for that miserably high throw. He was wide open, Allen had a clean pocket, and it sailed. Those end up as turnovers literally all of the time in the NFL. Overall, I thought Allen played ok, but the amount of slack he gets here for his inaccuracy is pretty remarkable. I call it the circus-catch bias, in that people who justify such throws point to all of the times such catches are made without accounting for the greater number of times those catches aren’t made. Edelman misses that pass 8 times out of 10 base on my viewing of, oh, 100+ Pats games over the years. I mean, literally, that sort of Int happens all of the time in this league. It was thrown at a very high velocity too.

Edited by dave mcbride

9 hours ago, PolishPrince said:

Also, the most yards he (Brown) has ever had in a season.

But our QB sucks :lol:

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I am NOT going to blame Beasley for that miserably high throw. He was wide open, Allen had a clean pocket, and it sailed. Those end up as turnovers literally all of the time in the NFL. Overall, I thought Allen played ok, but the amount of slack he gets here for his inaccuracy is pretty remarkable. I call it the circus-catch bias, in that people who justify such throws point to all of the times such catches are made without accounting for the greater number of times those catches aren’t made. Edelman misses that pass 8 times out of 10 base on my viewing of, oh, 100+ Pats games over the years. I mean, literally, that sort of Int happens all of the time in this league. It was thrown at a very high velocity too.

"miserably high throw"

What little credibility you may have had in this thread is gone. That's a ball 90% of receivers in the NFL make, if they're not a circus midget.

3 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

But our QB sucks :lol:

"miserably high throw"

What little credibility you may have had in this thread is gone. That's a ball 90% of receivers in the NFL make, if they're not a circus midget.

That “90 percent” line is such a total crock and you know it Joe. Sheesh. Please.

10 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Doesn't it make it better, story wise, that at first he didn't want to, and didn't sign here?

How do you finish the regular season story...get him 3 more td passes and let this season (with the additional yards) be his career best for receptions, tds and yards.