John Brown, offensive mvp of night

dave mcbride

3 hours ago, Simon said:

I think he's a marginal player and an awful fit for this offense..

I hope the Bills move on from him this offseason.

Having him here has been excellent for Josh's development because of the kind of throws he can make and the way he pushes Josh to throw with touch and anticipation.

He's also got the 2nd highest number of catches and yards on the team with 60 and 670, 11.2 YPR and 6 TD.

If we were bringing in Juju Smith Schuster and Courtland Sutton, I could see your point.  Given our FO "mixed" track record on FA and draftee WR at present (Zay Jones, Kelvin Benjamin, Corey Coleman, Jordan Matthews), I think your hope is a Very Bad Hope for a Good Fan

Beasley should stay right here until they bring in someone who proves in games they can outplay him. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Having him here has been excellent for Josh's development because of the kind of throws he can make and the way he pushes Josh to throw with touch and anticipation.

That's funny you mention that because last night I was thinking that Beasley's shortcomings were mitigated by the fact that he was inadvertently making Josh a better QB. :blush:

• Awesome! (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

That “90 percent” line is such a total crock and you know it Joe. Sheesh. Please.

I don't know about 90%, but it hit Beasley in his hands with a bit of a jump on his part (well within his vertical leap) and he had enough separation that it was not a contested or defended catch.  It's a ball that a WR with aspirations to be an all-pro or a top-50 WR in the league needs to come down with, and needs to swat out of play if he can't not punch it up for grabs.

image.thumb.png.e40206b12d7189d0ed160dc3f0ad43ef.png

"Miserably high" is a poor descriptor IMO.

I think it's possible someone got a finger on that ball as it crossed the line, because looking frame by frame it seems to jump upward and become wobbly after it crosses the line [change in direction is the way VB line judges are taught to look for tips].  But that's also one of those throws where I can pick at Allen's technique, except that sometimes when he has bad technique he makes good throws and sometimes when he has what looks like reasonably good technique to me he makes bad throws so where Allen is concerned I'm permanently set on DamnifIknow.  But I hope they have time to do some footwork and mechanics in "muddy" pockets drills with Allen this week because I do think he's reverting a bit.

11 minutes ago, Simon said:

That's funny you mention that because last night I was thinking that Beasley's shortcomings were mitigated by the fact that he was inadvertently making Josh a better QB. :blush:

I don't think there's anything inadvertent about it.  I think he's in Josh's face all the time about throwing differently in a way that's more catchable.

But I wish Beasley would take more the John Brown approach and just crank up the Juggs machine or ask for extra throws with hard velocity, because when Josh is hurried and doesn't throw with (more than usual) touch it's pretty clear he can't handle it.  And if he wants to stay here "until the wheels fall off" and be an all-pro, he needs to handle it.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't know about 90%, but it hit Beasley in his hands with a bit of a jump on his part (well within his vertical leap) and he had enough separation that it was not a contested or defended catch.  It's a ball that a WR with aspirations to be an all-pro or a top-50 WR in the league needs to come down with, and needs to swat out of play if he can't not punch it up for grabs.

image.thumb.png.e40206b12d7189d0ed160dc3f0ad43ef.png

"Miserably high" is a poor descriptor IMO.

I think it's possible someone got a finger on that ball as it crossed the line, because looking frame by frame it seems to jump upward and become wobbly after it crosses the line [change in direction is the way VB line judges are taught to look for tips].  But that's also one of those throws where I can pick at Allen's technique, except that sometimes when he has bad technique he makes good throws and sometimes when he has what looks like reasonably good technique to me he makes bad throws so where Allen is concerned I'm permanently set on DamnifIknow.  But I hope they have time to do some footwork and mechanics in "muddy" pockets drills with Allen this week because I do think he's reverting a bit.

I don't think there's anything inadvertent about it.  I think he's in Josh's face all the time about throwing differently in a way that's more catchable.

But I wish Beasley would take more the John Brown approach and just crank up the Juggs machine or ask for extra throws with hard velocity, because when Josh is hurried and doesn't throw with (more than usual) touch it's pretty clear he can't handle it.  And if he wants to stay here "until the wheels fall off" and be an all-pro, he needs to handle it.

“Miserable” was too strong. Still, that throw has to be lower. As you well know,  I am not an Allen hater at all. I love the guy. It’s just that I want him to be on the right side of the Big Ben/Bortles continuum, and more consistent accuracy is the path to it.

Edited by dave mcbride