How is it the Dallas Cowboys get no media bashing for an easy schedule?

HOUSE

So I ask you, have you ever seen one NFL media expert claim the Cowboys are only winning because of their easy schedule....just one? Can you say the same about the Buffalo Bills?

The Dallas Cowboys are 6-4 on the season, but none of their wins have come against teams with a winning record. Only the Philadelphia Eagles are among the teams they have beaten that don't have a losing record, as they are 5-5.

(Note) The Bills beat the Titans , also 5-5

https://www.newsweek.com/dallas-cowboys-battle-flu-ahead-their-biggest-game-year-chilly-new-england-1473653

Edited by HOUSE
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

The Dallas Cowboys are 6-4 on the season, but none of their wins have come against teams with a winning record. Only the Philadelphia Eagles are among the teams they have beaten that don't have a losing record, as they are 5-5.

https://www.newsweek.com/dallas-cowboys-battle-flu-ahead-their-biggest-game-year-chilly-new-england-1473653

Because its Dallas.  BS to be sure but they are one of the handful of teams that get a pass from the media (NE comes to mind as well).

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

People don’t wanna bash the Boys. But the Bills easy schedule talk is warranted. It’s OK though. We never have an easy one. Even when the team stinks year after year the Bills have Top 10 hard schedules.  So for once it broke our way.  Two tough games in the next 5 days.  It gets real now.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Augie said:

Let’s PLEASE just win on Thanksgiving Day so I don’t push my reputation with family and friends beyond the point of no return. 

Is they are truly family and friends then a football game shouldn't change that. 

Unless you're that creepy uncle. 

57 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

America's Team, Baby.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The Wiz said:

Is they are truly family and friends then a football game shouldn't change that. 

Unless you're that creepy uncle. 

I don’t have to comment! I’ll be no creepier Thursday night than I was Thursday morning, they will just be more aware.......and once they have an eye on you......

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

I don’t have to comment! I’ll be no creepier Thursday night than I was Thursday morning, they will just be more aware.......and once they have an eye on you......

Yea I know that feeling. I'm the black sheep myself so when I visit it's like having a dead relative come back from the dead and then they wish I stayed dead a few hours later. 

1 minute ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Look at the teams in the playoffs every year. While there Are a few exceptions, most playoff teams have almost all of their wins against teams with losing records.

That’s how it works— just have to win the games you’re supposed to win, for the most part. There shouldn’t be shame by any team about SOS. 

Haven’t the Patriots* been apologizing all season for playing mostly the same schedule we have? 

No, I guess not........

• Like (+1) 1

Honestly I've heard alot more hype regarding the bills than the cowboys regarding national media. I don't think there's alot of people that think Dallas is THAT good. Nfl network has been pretty positive about the bills this season. Tommorows dallas/new England game will be pretty interesting, and so much more enjoyable if the bills win

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jrb1979 said:

The difference is the Pats and the Boys blow out their weak teams. The Bills had to come from behind in a few of their wins against the same teams. 

They also lost to the Jets & Bucks

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Jrb1979 said:

The difference is the Pats and the Boys blow out their weak teams. The Bills had to come from behind in a few of their wins against the same teams. 

The one thing the patriots are good at is playing against young QBs. They have an elite defense and Belichick is a master at confusing young guys. 

this was from an article earlier this year (from September).

“Over the last 20 games when the New England Patriots have squared up with a team led by a quarterback 25-years-old or younger in their first or second year in the NFL, they have not lost a single game. In that span, opposing young quarterbacks have tossed 18 touchdowns and 28 interceptions, while only completing 54.4 percent of their passes.”

so, it just happens that they get to

mow through Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Daniel Jones, Luke Folk, and a host of young QBs. The only young guy that burned them was Lamar Jackson. The only vet they played was Ben R, who may have been playing with a torn elbow. 

I would like to see how they would face up against a really good veteran QB, like a Brees, Rodgers, or Rivers. 

All of this is to say that not only do they also have a weak SOS, the teams they play have specific weaknesses that play to the patriots’ strength. 

• Like (+1) 1

I’m not normally one of these “why don’t people give the Bills credit!” type of folks. And I’m still not. I really don’t know how much respect they do deserve just yet. 

BUT... I do agree about the Cowboys. Not a morning goes by I don’t hear Mike and Wingo at least mention Zeke, Dak, or the Cowboys. I simply don’t understand the attention that team receives. They don’t even bring up new interesting things. They talk about contracts coming up and stuff. Who cares? What team doesn’t have contracts to do? It’s mid-season, save contract talk for the offseason. If you have to talk about that kind of stuff, I think the Brady situation is more interesting than mediocre Dak. 

There are way more fun teams out there. America’s team? Bologna! 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

I’m not normally one of these “why don’t people give the Bills credit!” type of folks. And I’m still not. I really don’t know how much respect they do deserve just yet. 

BUT... I do agree about the Cowboys. Not a morning goes by I don’t hear Mike and Wingo at least mention Zeke, Dak, or the Cowboys. I simply don’t understand the attention that team receives. They don’t even bring up new interesting things. They talk about contracts coming up and stuff. Who cares? What team doesn’t have contracts to do? It’s mid-season, save contract talk for the offseason. If you have to talk about that kind of stuff, I think the Brady situation is more interesting than mediocre Dak. 

There are way more fun teams out there. America’s team? Bologna! 

The Cowboys have a huge fan base, so the media will always talk about them. I agree that Dallas is a mediocre team who isn’t going very far. I also believe the NFC is much better than the AFC, and Dallas would be one of the better teams if they were in the AFC. I’m not ready to talk trash Dallas until we go to Arlington and take care of business on Thanksgiving. Winning in Dallas would go a long way towards the Bills getting some respect on the national level. We’ve failed at almost every opportunity to win that type of game during McD’s tenure. I’m a supporter of McD, but it’s time to start competing with the better teams in this league. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The media HAS pointed out their soft schedule, many, many times. Maybe you just haven't been looking at Cowboys coverage...

Also, I think it's pretty obvious why they're getting a lot of attention, and it's not just "media bias."

Anyway, our schedule is still easier in comparison. Second, their offense is #1 in the league, and Prescott is playing like a true franchise QB. Lastly, even though our record is better, we haven't looked nearly as good in our wins as the Cowboys have in theirs. If we played like we did last week against the Dolphins all year, we'd be getting talked about just as much (especially if Allen was playing like Dak).

I know we all hate the Cowboys, but their offense has looked great most of the year. Dak has hit the point where he can put the team on his back & carry the team himself, which is a huge sign that he's cementing himself as a true franchise guy. He's thrown for 400+ yards 3 x times (and threw for 397 another game), and that will get attention regardless of who it is against.

Even if he is just beating up on lower teams, it's something many other QB's including Allen have shown they can't do yet, regardless of opponent. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, HOUSE said:

So I ask you, have you ever seen one NFL media expert claim the Cowboys are only winning because of their easy schedule....just one? Can you say the same about the Buffalo Bills?

(Note) The Bills beat the Titans , also 5-5

It's the same as Robert Kraft never paying a fine or doing community service after his prostitution issue in Florida.  The story disappeared.  Jones & Kraft really run the NFL.

Well they are only 6-4, so they really aren’t winning that much more than they are losing. Maybe if they were 8-2 the media might dissect them more. The narrative I see is nobody believes they are that good and Garrett is a below average coach. Almost all media has Green Bay, San Fran, and New Orleans as better teams and probably Seattle too.  
Can Bills beat them. Yes. But they are a matchup nightmare. Big oline, great RB and a QB that doesn’t turn the ball over.

10 hours ago, Augie said:

All that might be related to the fact you tossed ‘sis’ down the stairs those many years ago.  Not so much ‘creepy’ as waiting for ‘Ninja Augie’ to go off.  Never mind the Nobel Peace Prize you won, and rescue mission you mounted to the ISS using only a kettle and a string.  ?

• Haha (+1) 2

Well, just so we are clear, THE COWBOYS are  a bottom feeder winning games over easy opponents and don't deserve to play a prime time game against the Bills

Next year the Cowboys should play Sunday games only

1 hour ago, ganesh said:

I think they have dominated some of those opponents...something the Bills haven't done except against the Dolphins...Even there we scored 3 FGs instead of TDs in the 1st half.

Fact is the Cowboys haven't beaten a winning team either  regardless of the score. lol

13 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Look at the teams in the playoffs every year. While there Are a few exceptions, most playoff teams have almost all of their wins against teams with losing records.

That’s how it works— just have to win the games you’re supposed to win, for the most part. There shouldn’t be shame by any team about SOS. 

I don't really think anyone uses strength of schedule to "shame" teams.  Most people posting on fan boards are discussing the upcoming games.   No reasonable person who is discussing the likelihood of winning or losing upcoming games is going to ignore strength of schedule in that discussion.   The strange people to me are the ones who get offended by rational use of statistics that might suggest their favorite team has better chance of losing than winning a particular game. Or uses statistics to say my favorite team should win this upcoming game and I will be disappointed if they don't. 

Cowboys are 5 1/2 point underdogs to the Patriots this week (side note:Patriots have an easy schedule too) .   This is a pretty clear demonstration that rational people recognize the Cowboys SOS.  Most of the pre-game shows have sequence where commentators give their pick for the week. Most will pick the patriots. 

Edited by Chaos
  • Like (+1) 1