Week#9 Thread Bills vs. Redskins

Chandler#81

57 minutes ago, syhuang said:

this is interesting that they had a separated call sheets for Haskins previously. Does it mean Haskins didn't/doesn't have a fully grasp of the offense playbook 8 weeks into the season?

I mentioned earlier in the thread that according to the redskins guest on locked on Bills podcast they are still using grudens offensive scheme and it’s extremely complicated with very long and detailed calls. Alex Smith even had difficulty with it so they are approaching it differently with a rookie. Meaning, they didn’t expect he would have it fully grasped.

Edited by YoloinOhio

7 minutes ago, zow2 said:

The Redskins defense isn't bad.  What if Haskins looks better and has more success than Allen in this game?!?

Then we should be looking for a new defensive coordinator and personnel after the game.

Haskins stats so far this year: 12/22;  54% completion;  for 140 yards;  0 TD's & 4 INT's;  QB rating of 34.5.

And for those saying they would have preferred Case Keenum?  I'm not sure of the logic here as his stats aren't bad:

Keenum's stats so far this year:  126/188;  67% completion;  for 1343 yards;  9 TD's & 4 INT's;  QB rating of 94.8

19 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I mentioned earlier in the thread that according to the redskins guest on locked on Bills podcast they are still using grudens offensive scheme and it’s extremely complicated with very long and detailed calls. Alex Smith even had difficulty with it so they are approaching it differently with a rookie. Meaning, they didn’t expect he would have it fully grasped.

YoloinOhio as a fellow Buckeye fan I'm sure you would agree that we must put pressure on Haskins.  He is not an athletic QB and gets rattled by pressure.  If the Bill's don't and allow him to get comfortable back in the pocket he could pick them apart.  And if this happens my confidence in this coaching staff will plummet. 

It doesn't take a defensive guru to figure out how to approach Haskin's at QB.  I can't even begin to imagine the carnage Belechick would inflict on the poor guy.

8 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Then we should be looking for a new defensive coordinator and personnel after the game.

Haskins stats so far this year: 12/22;  54% completion;  for 140 yards;  0 TD's & 4 INT's;  QB rating of 34.5.

And for those saying they would have preferred Case Keenum?  I'm not sure of the logic here as his stats aren't bad:

Keenum's stats so far this year:  126/188;  67% completion;  for 1343 yards;  9 TD's & 4 INT's;  QB rating of 94.8

I hear you.  And I believe the Bills should win (albeit I don't think it will be as easy and convincing as a lot of people think).

But the fact is, this is the first time Haskins has practiced as the starter, been given all the practice reps, and game-planned for his skill set.   

The stats he put up were in games he was not expecting to play in... and he simply wasn't as prepared as he will be this week.  Still the Bills *should* overwhelm him.  But we'll see.

Edited by zow2

2 hours ago, syhuang said:

this is interesting that they had a separated call sheets for Haskins previously. Does it mean Haskins didn't/doesn't have a fully grasp of the offense playbook 8 weeks into the season?

I think I mentioned it in another thread but yeah, word coming out of DC is that he's had some difficulty in picking up the playbook. Earlier in the week there was a report that said Peterson had a talk with him and told him to really dive into the playbook. As Yolo explains below, the offensive system they're running is pretty intricate and now that the guy who ran it is no longer the head coach, they've been trying to tweak it and simplify it a bit for Haskins. 

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

He’s gonna get PAID in free agency. 

I’m not sure it will be here. He’s a great team guy and gets to the QB but misses other assignments I’ve noticed. I think they will try to keep him but will put a value on him that might get exceeded and I don’t blame them. 

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

I’m not sure it will be here. He’s a great team guy and gets to the QB but misses other assignments I’ve noticed. I think they will try to keep him but will put a value on him that might get exceeded and I don’t blame them. 

I agree. I don’t think it will be with us, either. Unless he REALLY likes it here and REALLY likes the role he’s asked to play. But I think some team is gonna offer higher end starting DT money and expect him to be an every down player as a result. I’m not convinced that he is. 

17 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He's not going to be paid a ton...IMO the Bills should be able to re-sign him. He can perform well in a limited role which he's done admirably.

9 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

He's not going to be paid a ton...IMO the Bills should be able to re-sign him. He can perform well in a limited role which he's done admirably.

He keeps up the sack stats, he’s gonna get paid by somebody. 

IF the Bills don't win this game handily, they are pretenders, and they will have another crap year. They still may back into the playoffs, but they will get killed by a good team.

If they lose on Sunday, I shudder to think of the beating they'll take on turkey day at the hands of the Cowgirls.

4 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

IF the Bills don't win this game handily, they are pretenders, and they will have another crap year. They still may back into the playoffs, but they will get killed by a good team.

If they lose on Sunday, I shudder to think of the beating they'll take on turkey day at the hands of the Cowgirls.

Go have a beer...count your blessings.....

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

It should be mentioned he wasn’t even credited for a sack on his play vs Miami and when got to fitz before the hand off

thats dumb. It should be 6 and he should be leading outright IMO

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1

The team is 5-2 and 20-30% of the stadium is on the secondary market for sale AGAIN. Come on guys. I will be there. I think it's time for a dome and I was against it at first. What happened to home field advantage? 2-2 at home this year.

The season ticket faithful are showing they do NOT like the cold. The last home game while on the 2017 playoff run wasn't even a packed house, I was there. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Philips > Oliver and it isn't close.

Dude. Why? Like what’s the point?... other than to look like a butthole? 

1 minute ago, Elite Poster said:

The team is 5-2 and 20-30% of the stadium is on the secondary market for sale AGAIN. Come on guys. I will be there. I think it's time for a dome and I was against it at first. What happened to home field advantage? 2-2 at home this year.

The season ticket faithful are showing they do NOT like the cold. The last home game while on the 2017 playoff run wasn't even a packed house, I was there. 

I can promise you, because we’ve all discussed it, my crew of 15-20 people will drastically reduce our attendance if the bills change to a dome. 

BARF. 

13 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Dude. Why? Like what’s the point?... other than to look like a butthole? 

I can promise you, because we’ve all discussed it, my crew of 15-20 people will drastically reduce our attendance if the bills change to a dome. 

BARF. 

This just feels like the kind of statement people make to emphasize their opinion. I find it a little hard to believe that there would be all that many fans who are willing to go to the games in ***** weather without a dome that would really just stop going if there was one.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

34 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

This just feels like the kind of statement people make to emphasize their opinion. I find it a little hard to believe that there would be all that many fans who are willing to go to the games in ***** weather without a dome that would really just stop going if there was one.

I literally have no desire to be a in a dome to watch a live football game. I did it last year in Indy and it sucked. I’ll take this Sunday’s 40 degrees and very slight chance of showers any day of the week over that. 

How is it an opinion? It’s literally been a topic of discussion amongst my tailgating group and I havnt talked to a single person who has said they would be okay with a dome. I was speaking about my group directly. Nobody else.  It’s not an opinion amongst that group and it’s the same statement amongst all of us... maybe we are the only 15-20 people that feel that way????

and as for myself? I go to 5 or 6 games a season and can 100% say that number would easily be cut in half if I was forced to sit inside. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

5 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I literally have no desire to be a in a dome to watch a live football game. I did it last year in Indy and it sucked. I’ll take this Sunday’s 40 degrees and very slight chance of showers any day of the week over that. 

How is it an opinion? It’s literally been a topic of discussion amongst my tailgating group and I havnt talked to a single person who has said they would be okay with a dome. I was speaking about my group directly. Nobody else.  It’s not an opinion amongst that group and it’s the same statement amongst all of us... maybe we are the only 15-20 people that feel that way????

and as for myself? I go to 5 or 6 games a season and can 100% say that number would easily be cut in half if I was forced to sit inside. 

So last year in an opposing teams stadium in a game where we got blown out 5-37 yeah I probably wouldn't of enjoyed that either.

The opinion is on whether the Bills should have a stadium with a dome and what I'm saying is that I feel the whole saying "I won't go to games if there's dome." seems more like something people do to emphasize their opinion on a dome and less like something I'd actually believe is true.

More to the point what is it about a dome that ruins the experience for you?

9 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

So last year in an opposing teams stadium in a game where we got blown out 5-37 yeah I probably wouldn't of enjoyed that either.

The opinion is on whether the Bills should have a stadium with a dome and what I'm saying is that I feel the whole saying "I won't go to games if there's dome." seems more like something people do to emphasize their opinion on a dome and less like something I'd actually believe is true.

More to the point what is it about a dome that ruins the experience for you?

The score had nothing to do with it. It was great 40 degree morning down in Indy. Crisp sharp air walking up to the stadium.... you walk through the doors and it feels like a freaking shopping mall. The game hadn’t started yet and I wanted no part of being inside the dome. hell, my wife can’t stand the cold and she agreed she’d rather not ever attend another inside game. 

I’m not trying to reinforce anything with idle threats. I’m telling you straight up if it goes to a dome will not be spending the money I do now, to enjoy a football game out in the crips open air, for seats in a shopping mall a stadium in the middle. Im not saying that I’ll stop attending all together. And they probably don’t care about little ole me. But I’m also telling you it isn’t just me with these thoughts. 

I was actually excited to see what the dome life was all about. It sucked.... a lot 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

2 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Philips > Oliver and it isn't close.

Jordan Phillips has been a pleasant surprise this season. He has more sacks than Hughes, Oliver, Lawson & Murphy combined.  This defense has to step it up and start generating sacks, fumbles and even the occasion old touchdown. Because the offense is going to be a slow developer like its qb.

1 hour ago, Elite Poster said:

Best fans in the NFL baby!! 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

I will make an assumption that 20-30% represents what has been on the market for a while for this game. Skins fans no longer travel much to follow their team but I will make another assumption that half these seats will be sold and the sellers (supposed Bills fans) show up when they cannot sell them. The result is a 85-90% crowd supporting the Bills. Seems good from what I have seen at other stadiums (re:Titans) in person or broadcast this year.

6 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I go to 2-4 games each season, with VERY different groups.

My 67-year old mother, a rabid, lifelong fan, will only go early in the season when the weather is warm. My youthful 28-year old friends, who attend in enthusiastic waves of 15-20 degenerates, attend more as the weather declines and the tickets get more affordable. My own best friends, just past 40 now, tend to go in December almost exclusively. In fact a group of 30-something CNYers, who like but don't desperately LOVE the Bills, make the annual drive in each December for a taste of the Bills fan spectacle. They're huge supporters of crazy Buffalo fans more so than the team itself. And what better setting for Bills fans to show their devotion than late-season games in bad weather with far-fetched playoff implications? 

Much of this of course is informed by decades of mid-season collapses and near-freezing rain games against other AFC mediocrities like the Jags, Dolphins, Browns, Bengals, etc. The fans have competed more competently than the team many years.

A dome changes so much about the region's NFL culture. Whether that's a good or a bad thing can be debated by others. I just know that Bills fans getting after it outdoors in late November and December despite hostile weather and poor on-field results seems to transcend the numbing corporate/entertainment reality of the modern NFL. It's a throwback to earlier times (and I'm not one for nostalgia).

• Like (+1) 4

As we discuss the dome issue, I just want to say that I love the weather providing a twist to any given game. It is fun to see these guys play in rain and snow and wind. It changes the strategy and execution. It is another layer in the game that makes it different from the other sports. I hate seeing all these domes take that element out of the game.

But, I understand how it is a deterrent for people who might want to go to a game. The business side of the game dictates that an indoor arena is necessary, the human side is the opposite. I think it is another part of Bills football that I think is so special and another reason I continue to root for them even though I haven't lived there in 15 years. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

I go to 2-4 games each season, with VERY different groups.

My 67-year old mother, a rabid, lifelong fan, will only go early in the season when the weather is warm. My youthful 28-year old friends, who attend in enthusiastic waves of 15-20 degenerates, attend more as the weather declines and the tickets get more affordable. My own best friends, just past 40 now, tend to go in December almost exclusively. In fact a group of 30-something CNYers, who like but don't desperately LOVE the Bills, make the annual drive in each December for a taste of the Bills fan spectacle. They're huge supporters of crazy Buffalo fans more so than the team itself. And what better setting for Bills fans to show their devotion than late-season games in bad weather with far-fetched playoff implications? 

Much of this of course is informed by decades of mid-season collapses and near-freezing rain games against other AFC mediocrities like the Jags, Dolphins, Browns, Bengals, etc. The fans have competed more competently than the team many years.

A dome changes so much about the region's NFL culture. Whether that's a good or a bad thing can be debated by others. I just know that Bills fans getting after it outdoors in late November and December despite hostile weather and poor on-field results seems to transcend the numbing corporate/entertainment reality of the modern NFL. It's a throwback to earlier times (and I'm not one for nostalgia).

Totally agree.

At last week’s game I wasn’t feeling well on top of the general misery brought on by the wind and rain, and at no point did I think, “I wish we had a dome.”