Week#9 Thread Bills vs. Redskins

Chandler#81

3 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Pretty sure he's right. Brown isn't a read here, he's running a cross to carry the safety. Doesn't whip his head around, lazy path up into coverage...read is corner to Williams or whoever that is.  Play breaks down because LB doesn't bite on playfake. 

Excellent post.

10 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Why is that do you think? Is it a problem with the skill set of the o-line, Josh Allen? You'd think one ought to be able to get reasonably proficient at the screen.

The Bills are 5 of 8 for just 23 yards on screen passes to running backs, according to Buffalo News charts. They are 6 of 8 for just 11 yards on screens to receivers or tight ends. That’s just 4.6 yards per reception on running back screens and 3.0 yards per reception overall

(paywall) http://buffalonews.com/2019/10/31/buffalo-bills-offense-analysis-nfl-josh-allen-brian-daboll-devin-singletary-opinion-2019/

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Mango said:

I don’t think so. He has Brown between the hashes open. Sitting in a soft spot. At the 0:03 mark Allen’s feet are set. Pass rusher is about 5-6 yards away. JB is right in front of him. Taking off is classic JA

Brown route is taking him across the field. There is safety there begging for Allen throw that ball. 

8 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Excellent post.

It’s obvious that browns route is taking him across the field and there is a safety there licking his chops. 

its very telling what we are dealing with on this board when you see that film and subsequent breakdown and somebody still insists josh should have pulled the trigger. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Pretty sure he's right. Brown isn't a read here, he's running a cross to carry the safety. Doesn't whip his head around, lazy path up into coverage...read is corner to Williams or whoever that is.  Play breaks down because LB doesn't bite on playfake. 

7 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Yep, LB wasn’t sucked in by run action. A throw to Brown there may have been jumped, wasn’t an option. Pretty much blew the play up. 

Correct.

38 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Brown route is taking him across the field. There is safety there begging for Allen throw that ball. 

It’s obvious that browns route is taking him across the field and there is a safety there licking his chops. 

it very telling what we are dealing with in this board when you see that film and subsequent breakdown and somebody still insists josh should have pulled the trigger. 

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance.

I don't think it's Allen hate; I think fans forget that there's a play design with a clear intent. On this play, it's obvious that it's a boot action with a half field read. I suspect Bease is the 1, and the play-side WR is the 2.

Askin Allen to abandon his progression, cut short the boot action, and throw across the grain in that scenario tells me that the poster didn't consider the play design at all.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

it very telling what we are dealing with in this board when you see that film and subsequent breakdown and somebody still insists josh should have pulled the trigger. 

My big thing with these self-proclaimed football geniuses is that they don't take into account how fast the game is - or the QB's vantage point.

It would be pretty effing easy if QBs had a birds-eye view of the field AND a pause button.

They don't.

I'm not saying Allen doesn't miss open guys sometimes.  Of course he does.  But for Christ's sake, what these armchair QBs are looking at in slow-motion, still shots and loops from above the field - Allen (and all QBs, obviously) is looking at from a completely different vantage point over the course of 5 seconds.

• Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Funny i how mentioned this about 4 weeks ago, and some board folks threw it in my face how the Bills were fine at the chunk plays...just not the bombs.    Anyway- yeah the chunk play aspect of the offense has been horrendous.  Ya can't rely on 10-12 play drives to score TD's.  If so, it will end up costing the Bills a playoff spot.

3 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

These are astonishing stats!  Last night the combined screen play yardage by SF & AR in just ONE GAME blows our season production for screens out of the water.

*  5/8 for 23 yards on RB screen passes!

*  6/8 for 11 yards on screens to TE's/WR's!

And you can bet almost all those incompletions were balls deliberately thrown into the ground to avoid a loss of yardage on the play.  If this isn't an indictment of our collection of skill players & O-lineman I don't know what is.  I suspected the production on screens was bad but this is biblical badness.  Complete INCOMPETENCE on the part of our offense. 

Is there a fatal flaw in Daboll's screen play designs? 

This kind of data convinces me even more that Allen is the least of the offenses problems.  In fact we may be getting a complete misread on the guy due to our lack of a sustained running game and our inability to execute simple screen passes.  How many yards has Kyler Murray amassed throwing these types of passes?  75% of his total! 

Edited by CincyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

These are astonishing stats!  Last night the combined screen play yardage by SF & AR in just ONE GAME blows our season production for screens out of the water.

*  5/8 for 23 yards on RB screen passes!

*  6/8 for 11 yards on screens to TE's/WR's!

And you can bet almost all those incompletions were balls deliberately thrown into the ground to avoid a loss of yardage on the play.  If this isn't an indictment of our collection of skill players & O-lineman I don't know what is.  I suspected the production on screens was bad but this is biblical badness.  Complete INCOMPETENCE on the part of our offense. 

Is there a fatal flaw in Daboll's screen play designs? 

This kind of data convinces me even more that Allen is the least of the offenses problems.  In fact we may be getting a complete misread on the guy due to our lack of a sustained running game and our inability to execute simple screen passes.  How many yards has Kyler Murray amassed throwing these types of passes?  75% of his total! 

Why would you look to the run game to evaluate Josh Allen's performance as a QB?

If you want to evaluate him, evaluate the things he does and has control over.

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

Why would you look to the run game to evaluate Josh Allen's performance as a QB?

If you want to evaluate him, evaluate the things he does and has control over.

For starters because the success of the play action pass depends on the success of the running game.

A healthy running game that has the potential to break off long runs can really open up a passing attack.  The Patriots did not focus any attention of Gore & Yeldon.  They knew that even if the line opened up a massive hole Gore was good for 20 yards tops.  There was no way either Bill's RB in that game was going to take it 60 yards to the house.  Instead the Pats focused on taking away Allen's runs and short passes and forced him to throw downfield to beat them.

There's also the mental aspect.  How much more settling must it be for a young QB to have a dangerous running game at his back?  Do you think it helps Lamar Jackson?

As an aside what do you think about the Bill's screen pass production?  Pretty amazing huh.  Do you blame Allen for that?  The Bills can't run the ball in a way that scares people (chunk yardage) and they can't execute screen passes to their RB's, TE's or WR's that gain yardage.  Gee, that's just what we need to optimize the chances of success for our young QB!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

For starters because the success of the play action pass depends on the success of the running game.

A healthy running game that has the potential to break off long runs can really open up a passing attack.  The Patriots did not focus any attention of Gore & Yeldon.  They knew that even if the line opened up a massive hole Gore was good for 20 yards tops.  There was no way either Bill's RB in that game was going to take it 60 yards to the house.  Instead the Pats focused on taking away Allen's runs and short passes and forced him to throw downfield to beat them.

There's also the mental aspect.  How much more settling must it be for a young QB to have a dangerous running game at his back?  Do you think it helps Lamar Jackson?

As an aside what do you think about the Bill's screen pass production?  Pretty amazing huh.  Do you blame Allen for that?  The Bills can't run the ball in a way that scares people (chunk yardage) and they can't execute screen passes to their RB's, TE's or WR's that gain yardage.  Gee, that's just what we need to optimize the chances of success for our young QB!

Seems pretty obvious context, unless it gets in the way of a narrative with a particular agenda. Then it's smh why you mention the run game . . . 

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

Is it just me or do i detect a really strong sense of frustration from Beasley?

Beaser always seems to come across that way in my opinion.  Just seems like the personality.

seems more annoyed he has to talk to press than anything else. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

11 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I’m with you..  also Looks like that plays primary WR was Cole but the safety closed. 

Or... for the hating crowd....  you can go with ‘he was trying to throw to Duke but he’s so terribly inaccurate it looked like a throwaway’ ?

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Haha (+1) 1

One thing I noticed about watching Jimmy G last night is how much the offense helps him... He wasn’t playing like this without Emmanuel Sanders.  He’s gaining confidence by leaning on a strong rushing attack and one of the top tight ends in the game.   Then you add a second weapon to throw to at WR and you see him hit that next level of QB play last night.  

Our running attack is bolstered by Allen, not the other way around where Allen can lean on it.  

John Brown is his Sanders, but we need to get/develop that second receiving threat ala Kittle.   Contrary to popular belief, talent around the QB does help the QB. 

Really hoping to see a strong gameplan against the Redskins, one that allows Allen some easy rhythm completions and a running game that we don’t abandon.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

the legends words speak volumes. "to dethrone the king you've got to cut his head off" "you've got to beat the new englands, you've got to beat the phildelphia eagles"  "you've got to protect your house" "establish dominance"

not there yet but encouraged, he says.

I agree, not there yet and 5-2 looks good but they haven't established the dominance they need to beat the big boys, still on the porch so to speak. 9 games remain to continue to establish that dominance.

could they reach it by dec. 22nd?

it would be nice but it may take another draft and offseason to get there?

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Hoping for Keenum. Haskins is an unknown, at least we know Keenum can’t play.

Haskins isn't ready...and he's a statue. McDermott's D will eat him alive by sitting back in coverage a lot and sending strategically timed inside blitzes to keep him flustered.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Haskins isn't ready...and he's a statue. McDermott's D will eat him alive by sitting back in coverage a lot and sending strategically timed inside blitzes to keep him flustered.

I was mostly talking about picking up Poyer in FF...Keenum can’t see safeties at all ??

The Bills need to just go out and win this game, to get the taste of last week out of our mouths. It’s not about style points or the opponent ...just stack wins. The Bills have made the playoffs 1 time in the last 19 seasons. I’m not overly concerned with what it looks like. Just keep finding ways to win and find a way to get in. Get the Defense fixed and get Singletary involved significantly more. Seasons like this are few and far between with this team. Let’s try and get the most out of it and not worry how “real” it is.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

The Bills need to just go out and win this game, to get the taste of last week out of our mouths. It’s not about style points or the opponent ...just stack wins. The Bills have made the playoffs 1 time in the last 19 seasons. I’m not overly concerned with what it looks like. Just keep finding ways to win and find a way to get in. Get the Defense fixed and get Singletary involved significantly more. Seasons like this are few and far between with this team. Let’s try and get the most out of it and not worry how “real” it is.

Just get into the postseason and anything can happen.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1