Luck retiring

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Bad day in Indy but injuries and maybe drive kept him from a lock HOF career suggested before he was drafted.

Not so sure I'd knock his drive.  The guy played with a lacerated kidney.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

That is huge!  Brissett isn't a bad backup, but there's no comparison between Brissett and Luck when Luck is at his best.  Frank Reich was just handed a huge coaching challenge.

Otoh, he will get to draft his guy if the future this year. I’m sure he would rather have Luck, but time then look forward. Brissett is a decent backup but I don’t see him as a franchise QB 

11 hours ago, JoeF said:

https://engineering.stanford.edu/news/andrew-luck-architectural-design-class-2012

Guess he will just have to struggle along with his Stanford degree...Seriously smart and great young man who can write his own ticket in broadcasting or in his degree field. 

If he invested his NFL money well, he could "struggle along" quite comfortably on just the interest.

I think luck has made a good decision, his health is more important than football, any thinking individual would come to the same conclusion.

It’s funny that many football fans appear to be more upset for themselves than Luck. In retrospect this is a good thing for any team that plays the  Colts. Better odds for a win.

Do remember this is the way of the football life, when opposing players purposefully try to hit you as hard as they can get away with (purposely causing injury)  there will be an attrition rate, and luck is part of that, just like Eric Wood, and very many other players.  This is a case of potential greatness gone unfulfilled.

Go Bills!!!

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

While not as relevant to architecture, he surely has a lot of experience a 21 year old out of college would not. A degree plus nearly a decade managing an empire plus leadership skills, etc.... would clearly jump him past most ground floor employees in most fields even ignoring the star boost and just looking practically 

Scott Radecic says hello....      https://populous.com/people/scott-radecic

45 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Do remember this is the way of the football life, when opposing players purposefully try to hit you as hard as they can get away with (purposely causing injury)  there will be an attrition rate, and luck is part of that, just like Eric Wood, and very many other players.  This is a case of potential greatness gone unfulfilled.

The sad thing is he plays in an era where the QB is protected more than ever. Because of it guys are consistently playing deep into their 30's and even 40's. I think with Luck it's been a combination of a bit of a reckless style of play and just being injury prone.  It's too bad he didn't get to sit behind Peyton for a couple seasons like Rodgers got to sit behind Favre. Peyton probably could have taught him a lot about staying on the field and protecting his body. 

5 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

The sad thing is he plays in an era where the QB is protected more than ever. Because of it guys are consistently playing deep into their 30's and even 40's. 

I've watched the NFL for 40+ years and every decade the velocity of the hits and the kinetic energy released by contact has gone up.   

While there are unicorns like Brady and Brees, I suspect the average career of NFL QBs (especially given the $$$ they can sock away) will be shorter, not longer..

Edited by Lurker

I actually really respect Luck for this.

He’s seen players who limp and in pain the rest of their lives post football career.  His trajectory looked to be heading that way.  Can’t fault him for not wanting that.

I can actually see him getting his PHD and becoming a Professor.  Then when he’s 50, he will be bald, fat, gray side hair and bi-focal glasses.  A 19 year old will never believed that Dr. Luck was an All Pro NFL player. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ******* said:

Damn fool. I’ll take your money 

You idiot. The news was hard to believe from anyone. When I posted that, there was no information on the board in regards to it. 

Get bent you little moron. 

9 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

It is false. And I'll take that bet.

Ok? My posted was yesterday around the time it happened. Nothing was 100% confirmed at the time. 

This board is full of idiots. 

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I actually really respect Luck for this.

He’s seen players who limp and in pain the rest of their lives post football career.  His trajectory looked to be heading that way.  Can’t fault him for not wanting that.

I can actually see him getting his PHD and becoming a Professor.  Then when he’s 50, he will be bald, fat, gray side hair and bi-focal glasses.  A 19 year old will never believed that Dr. Luck was an All Pro NFL player. 

Agreed. If he kept going he'd have made millions more, but at what cost physically? Smart move by Luck and I'm surprised more people don't get out while the getting is good. 

Crazy situation, but I think he's "done done." 

Even if he is completely healthy in, say, 12-18 months and wants to play again...the minute he gets a tweak he is going to remember why he originally retired. He'll be in a broadcast booth in 2020. 

3 minutes ago, rodneykm said:

You idiot. The news was hard to believe from anyone. When I posted that, there was no information on the board in regards to it. 

Get bent you little moron. 

Ok? My posted was yesterday around the time it happened. Nothing was 100% confirmed at the time. 

This board is full of idiots. 

Agreed. If he kept going he'd have made millions more, but at what cost physically? Smart move by Luck and I'm surprised more people don't get out while the getting is good. 

Clearly you are one of them.

It's a joke you sensitive brainiac. <_<

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I've watched the NFL for 40+ years and every decade the velocity of the hits and the kinetic energy released by contact has gone up.   

While there are unicorns like Brady and Brees, I suspect the average career of NFL QBs (especially given the $$$ they can sock away) will be shorter, not longer..

Even guys like Rivers, Big Ben and Eli are putting together some long careers though. Not just the unicorns in Brady and Brees.

I don’t mind that he retired. I respect it, and even admire it from a 30 year old. 

But week 3 of preseason as a high level franchise QB....he could have made this decision 6 months ago, or waited 4 months. Some people will lose their job because of this timing. Not totally fair

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, HansLanda said:

He'll be in a broadcast booth in 2020. 

The broadcast booth is for ex-jocks who have no other skills to fall back on.   

That is absolutely not who Luck is...

9 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Even guys like Rivers, Big Ben and Eli are putting together some long careers though. Not just the unicorns in Brady and Brees.

True. But more and more, guys like RGiii and Wentz...

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ct-spt-young-qbs-getting-hurt-nfl-20171221-story.html

Edited by Lurker

1 hour ago, Protocal69 said:

I see you have a workers mentality. No offense but if you have a high level degree especially from a top notch school AND close to 60 million in the bank you would never have to work for someone else. You would just start your own company and hire great talent. Plus Luck seems like a person that would be hands on to get the real world experience that he would want, to be able to have the technical knowledge along with the business sense that would be needed to own and lead the company if he chose to.

I think my original comment has been misinterpreted a bit, although it's probably because I articulated it poorly at 130am. At the time, the thought of Andrew Luck headed out the door for a regular job was amusing. That's really it. Luck undoubtedly would never actually join the typical labor force, doesn't need to, and has experience that makes a different path more obvious and more relevant. 

As far as my "worker's mentality," I dunno. Maybe? It assumes a superiority of entrepreneurship that opens up another can of worms. What I do know is that I am fortunate enough to have better academic credentials than Luck, run my own laboratory, and do not have 60 mil lol.

1 minute ago, NickelCity said:

I think my original comment has been misinterpreted a bit, although it's probably because I articulated it poorly at 130am. At the time, the thought of Andrew Luck headed out the door for a regular job was amusing. That's really it. Luck undoubtedly would never actually join the typical labor force, doesn't need to, and has experience that makes a different path more obvious and more relevant. 

As far as my "worker's mentality," I dunno. Maybe? It assumes a superiority of entrepreneurship that opens up another can of worms. What I do know is that I am fortunate enough to have better academic credentials than Luck, run my own laboratory, and do not have 60 mil lol.

I tried to post this last night, but not sure it went through.

Luck apparently really does love architecture—it was well-known that he would stop and visit local architectural marvels on team road trips.  Could see him going in that direction even if he doesn’t financially need to.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, MattM said:

I tried to post this last night, but not sure it went through.

Luck apparently really does love architecture—it was well-known that he would stop and visit local architectural marvels on team road trips.  Could see him going in that direction even if he doesn’t financially need to.

Would be awesome if he started an architectural firm. 

Completely shocked by this but he definitely is the type of guy who would do it.  He reads books in his spare time!  What a nerd.  And I thought at first that he might just rest for a season and come back but football is a hard sport to just come back to. 

The timing sucks but but I truly believe he was trying to play.  Their last idiot GM is a huge reason why he is retiring because he got Luck killed early in his career.

and the Colts will still be a tough team to beat.