Luck retiring

51 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I don't blame the fans one bit.

Not one bit. Luck HAD to have known this back in the spring when the team could have made an adjustment.

Yes, it's his right to quit when he wants to. But that RIGHT doesn't insulate him from criticism.

What adjustment do you think they would have made? I doubt they like any of the options out there more than Brissett anyway and they might be perfectly fine with Chad Kelly being their backup.

And by all accounts, the Colts were aware that he was considering retirement so if they thought they weren't prepared, they should have made a move already.

If the Colts can put together an all pro line... he hasn't had anything near that since he started... But this has been said before.  Luck is a smart guy, knows where the Colts are at team wise and he has made more money than he already needs.  Guy can't play through injuries and with as much as he has made he doesn't have too... 

P.S.  Message to Bills front office, keep drafting high end O line and get it right.  Allen won't be around for long if you don't.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

Lol now he's Michael Jordan?  What if he came back in three days?  Should we start referring to August 24 as Good Saturday?

The legend of Kim Jung QB must only grow in his absence.

How good do you think he was?  His stats and record don’t lie 

3 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The ultimate selfish me-first move, putting your own interests well above everyone else’s.

And by that I mean, Adam Schefter’s decision to send that Tweet during the Colts’ preseason game.

Yeah there is that aspect of it. But even more at the root is the fool within the Colts organization that leaked it.

1 hour ago, stosh64 said:

Talk about an entitled, ****** fan base, I can't believe some of the comments.

I hope they are now faced with a 20 yr QB search and an equally long playoff drought.

https://forums.colts.com/topic/62878-its-the-timing-of-it-all/page/4/

I realize there are ******** everywhere, and we would probably have a few similar comments here under similar circumstances, but reading their board it just seems over the top.

it is everywhere and frankly with the internet, message boards, twitter, etc, etc. society has turned in to one ***** up joint, ***** up! selfish morons is what they are. selfish

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

it is everywhere and frankly with the internet, message boards, twitter, etc, etc. society has turned in to one ***** up joint, ***** up! selfish morons is what they are. selfish

Beyond this site 

FB is my only other "footprint" and I use it sparingly.  Mostly to follow family pics and such 

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

Beyond this site 

FB is my only other "footprint" and I use it sparingly.  Mostly to follow family pics and such 

I have fb as well. only have it for the same basic reasons, family, friends, photos. have and continue to use the hide feature as the news feed can be filled at times, especially during an election, full of garbage political ***** or what someone ate last night or they got their finger stuck in their nose in attempt to pick snot. no, hide feature works well and have even used the block feature a time or two.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

I have fb as well. only have it for the same basic reasons, family, friends, photos. have and continue to use the hide feature as the news feed can be filled at times, especially during an election, full of garbage political ***** or what someone ate last night or they got their finger stuck in their nose in attempt to pick snot. no, hide feature works well and have even used the block feature a time or two.

I love my cousins but some of blind political love is nauseating.  I have to unfollow one of them.

Back to the butt hurt Colts fans booing Andrew Luck 

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

I honestly couldn't hear any booing in that clip. I guess they've decided on their narrative and they're sticking with it 

I don’t think anyone decided on any narrative. They were 100% booing him even if you can’t hear it great in that 1 video. Lots of people there have said they were booing. Luck himself said they were booing him and it hurt. There are other videos where you can hear it better. It definitely happened. 

3 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Not one bit. Luck HAD to have known this back in the spring when the team could have made an adjustment.

Yes, it's his right to quit when he wants to. But that RIGHT doesn't insulate him from criticism.

#totallyAGREE

My buddy and I have been mulling this over and while i may not 100% side with come of the Colts fans' reactions i think they are viable.  He DID quit, he had a good (in his mind) reason but when, how was very impactful to the team and the fanbase.  Leaving the org was impactful enough but to do it after the 3rd preseason game when the team can't possible react appropriately and on the cusp of a potentially solid deep playoff run (their division is weak, AFC has just a couple of really strong teams) was crap, maybe it was strategic on his part, but it was a dick move.

things he knows:

• there's a potential to get hurt in football - high risk/reward
  • playing through the pain is part of the game but you have a choice, no one physically forced him out on the field.
  • even if he was getting internal pressure to play he still can sit, he has a contract to protect him and come back when he's ready
  • in the pro's it's nearly a year around sport
  • ~$97mm in his pocket

i'd have more respect for him if he gave back the $$ but it's a pretty easy choice when you look at what's in his wallet...

i cant imagine what this will do to contracts going forward.

3 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

There are reports that the team has know for a while now. He can retire when he wants.....

4 minutes ago, Say When... said:

#totallyAGREE

My buddy and I have been mulling this over and while i may not 100% side with come of the Colts fans' reactions i think they are viable.  He DID quit, he had a good (in his mind) reason but when, how was very impactful to the team and the fanbase.  Leaving the org was impactful enough but to do it after the 3rd preseason game when the team can't possible react appropriately and on the cusp of a potentially solid deep playoff run (their division is weak, AFC has just a couple of really strong teams) was crap, maybe it was strategic on his part, but it was a dick move.

things he knows:

• there's a potential to get hurt in football - high risk/reward
  • playing through the pain is part of the game but you have a choice, no one physically forced him out on the field.
  • even if he was getting internal pressure to play he still can sit, he has a contract to protect him and come back when he's ready
  • in the pro's it's nearly a year around sport
  • ~$97mm in his pocket

i'd have more respect for him if he gave back the $$ but it's a pretty easy choice when you look at what's in his wallet...

i cant imagine what this will do to contracts going forward.

He offered to return some money and Colts declined....and Colts have known for a while...he didn't just tell them on Saturday

Edited by nucci
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, nucci said:

He offered to return some money and Colts declined....and Colts have known for a while...he didn't just tell them on Saturday

i had read that also but never saw the actual dollar amount; as to when they knew vs Saturday, that's speculation and even then i bet it wasn't months or even weeks; we're talking days tops.

how does that get kept a secret?  especially with an owner like Irsay?

2 minutes ago, Say When... said:

i had read that also but never saw the actual dollar amount; as to when they knew vs Saturday, that's speculation and even then i bet it wasn't months or even weeks; we're talking days tops.

I didn't see dollars either but he had to tell someone...he hasn't practiced most of camp and was pretty much ruled out for opening day.  Fans booing him was ridiculous....

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, nucci said:

I didn't see dollars either but he had to tell someone...he hasn't practiced most of camp and was pretty much ruled out for opening day.  Fans booing him was ridiculous....

agreed, but then i'd never boo a player regardless of how bad they are, that's just me.  Maybe that was easier for him to walk away vs taking a year off, dunno.

regardless, if i'm Eli i'm saying "hey, you guys good with Daniel?  i'll go help the Colts out, that team is stacked"

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Say When... said:

Per Peter King's column today, the Colts have been talking to Luck about retirement for the past two weeks:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/26/fmia-andrew-luck-the-colts-and-the-retirement-that-rocked-nfls-world/

"Luck said he didn’t imagine retiring till two weeks ago. But once he started thinking about it, one source said, it made more and more sense to him. He was tired. He felt like if it wasn’t one thing, it’d be another.

Reich and Ballard both spent time between Tuesday and Friday feeling out Luck about whether he’d reconsider—he never wavered—and then making sure Luck was sure he wanted to do it now. He did. Neither Reich nor Ballard would disclose the contents of their conversations with Luck. But late in the week, Reich said, he and Luck had a longer meeting in the coach’s office, an emotional meeting.

“It’s like we were saying goodbye,” Reich said from his office Sunday afternoon. “I knew, knew in my heart, he wasn’t going to change his mind. He seemed to have great clarity and peace.”

33 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Loudmouth Stephen A. Smith was ranting (and yelling)  about him saying this was the perfect year for the Colts to go to the SB .....  

glad to read he is officially a jinx

• Haha (+1) 1

reminds me of a DE who was first overall pick to the browns a while ago, lavar arrington was 2nd over all (both went to penn state).

1st pick was young, graduated engineering, hard working, oodles of talent, but was a bust out in the NFL.

I think some aspect of being smarter/higher IQ (or some correlated factor) does not mix well w the pain and brutality of the NFL.

I think a smart guy who is insanely competitive, or possibly some kind of psycho, will be very effective, but a normal smart guy won't just soldier on in the face of enough pain/adversity.

8 minutes ago, colin said:

reminds me of a DE who was first overall pick to the browns a while ago, lavar arrington was 2nd over all (both went to penn state).

1st pick was young, graduated engineering, hard working, oodles of talent, but was a bust out in the NFL.

I think some aspect of being smarter/higher IQ (or some correlated factor) does not mix well w the pain and brutality of the NFL.

I think a smart guy who is insanely competitive, or possibly some kind of psycho, will be very effective, but a normal smart guy won't just soldier on in the face of enough pain/adversity.

He is set for life and his kids lives.  If in pain now and at risk of making it for the rest of his life, why not retire.  It is the smart move.

I retired the first year possible - I loved my job but why endure the stress and life issues that came with it if not necessary?

25 minutes ago, colin said:

Courtney Brown, who was actually sensational early on, but quickly suffered a ceaseless cascade of injuries - which drove him out of the league. He didn't bust because he wasn't good. He had an OK rookie season (although he had nice total of TFLs - 16), but was absolutely on fire in his second season when he suffered a season ending injury in game five. Up to that point, he had 4.5 sacks, 2 forced fumbles and 2 fumble recoveries, 4 TFLs, 1 TD, and 4 passes defensed. Those are great numbers. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...why didn't Schefter break the news AFTER the game?.......

Because that’s not his job. They pay him (handsomely) to break NFL news as soon as possible. Kowtowing to some old timers’ imagined senses of decorum, however, isn’t in the job description.

41 minutes ago, colin said:

Same with John Urschel.    They recruit some smart kids at PSU...

25 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Because that’s not his job. They pay him (handsomely) to break NFL news as soon as possible. Kowtowing to some old timers’ imagined senses of decorum, however, isn’t in the job description.

...how noble.....he's the NFL's Howie on TMZ...SMH.......besides, what the hell is wrong with decorum?......

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...how noble.....he's the NFL's Howie on TMZ...SMH.......besides, what the hell is wrong with decorum?......

Nothing wrong with decorum. I’m just laying out the facts - he’s paid to break stories FIRST. Period point blank. Blame ESPN, not Schefter.