Luck retiring

1 minute ago, Green Lightning said:

Maybe a year off would do it. Gotta feel bad for Reich, he had a helluva team that was contending. Not thinking Jacoby is going to get them there.

Obviously I don’t know Andrew Luck but that just doesn’t seem like that is in the cards. He seems like a guy that has seriously thought this through. Hell, I’d be willing to bet the Colts front office begged him not to do it and gave him as much time as he felt he needed before pulling the plug. It just seems he is the type of guy that wouldn’t do this to the team unless he means he’s done for good.

2 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

I live in the Indy metro area.  Your comment about the city is BS.  Buffalo (Sabres) can write a book about rolling over and tanking!

If you don’t think the Colts tanked you’re delusional.

And, yes, the Sabres tanked as well.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

Pretty crazy that Schefty and Rapsheet are both painting this as a Ricky Williams voluntary retirement rather than being forced out by injury. He had to do this 2 weeks before the season opener?

Why is it crazy how they are painting it how it is?

also, is frank reich their best QB now?

• Haha (+1) 1

I’m surprised, but not really.  The guy has been dinged up almost every year and is turning 30.  He’s got plenty of money.  

While I get loving football and it being all you know, there’s also waking up in pain every day.  There’s wondering if you’ll be able to play with your kids without it killing you.  

It sucks for the Colts, yes.  But I get it.  

Besides, they will be terrible enough to get a top 5 pick and there are decent QB’s next year. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

Guess the injuries caught up with Luck. This puts the Colts in a terrible spot as it’s a couple of weeks before the start of the season. Colts just went from the favorites in the AFC to possibly not even making the playoffs. I feel bad for Frank Reich.

Possibly not making it?

I think you mean very unlikely to make it.

• Like (+1) 2

Good: One less team for the Bills to compete with for a playoff spot

Bad: tough to see a guy go out in his prime, esp a QB like Luck

Indifferent: he’s banked a ton of cash and going his own way, kudos to him I guess. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I’m with you. Seems to be possibly a knee jerk reaction by luck to some bad injuries etc etc. at 29 I would expect to see him again unless there’s a lot more to this story 

He's earned $97m, has been beat to hell, doesn't love the game anymore, and can walk away and enjoy life.   Don't think there's much more than that to the story.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Obviously I don’t know Andrew Luck but that just doesn’t seem like that is in the cards. He seems like a guy that has seriously thought this through. Hell, I’d be willing to bet the Colts front office begged him not to do it and gave him as much time as he felt he needed before pulling the plug. It just seems he is the type of guy that wouldn’t do this to the team unless he means he’s done for good.

If you don’t think the Colts tanked you’re delusional.

And, yes, the Sabres tanked as well.

My comment was in response to the poster saying that Indy not being a football city and deserving an NFL team.

Just now, NoSaint said:

Why is it crazy how they are painting it how it is?

Look at the thread NS, vast majority are assuming this is injuries and it's all the Colts' fault with bad O-lines, completely overlooking that both info men are saying this is his choice and he wants to pursue other things. I can hardly believe he would wait until now to do this and let down all the teammates and coaches counting on him when he could have done this months ago.

Just now, dubs said:

Good: One less team for the Bills to compete with for a playoff spot

Bad: tough to see a guy go out in his prime, esp a QB like Luck

Indifferent: he’s banked a ton of cash and going his own way, kudos to him I guess. 

He just got married and is having a kid. Maybe he doesn't wear the pants in the family....

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, JoeF said:

https://engineering.stanford.edu/news/andrew-luck-architectural-design-class-2012

Guess he will just have to struggle along with his Stanford degree...Seriously smart and great young man who can write his own ticket in broadcasting or in his degree field. 

Yeah, he’ll have to get by on that and the tens of millions he’s made already.......poor guy. He may have to shave that neck beard now. 

Just now, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

Look at the thread NS, vast majority are assuming this is injuries and it's all the Colts' fault with bad O-lines, completely overlooking that both info men are saying this is his choice and he wants to pursue other things. I can hardly believe he would wait until now to do this and let down all the teammates and coaches counting on him when he could have done this months ago.

I don’t doubt he’s hurt. 

I do not think it’s a career ending injury beyond him deciding he’s tired of dealing with injuries. 

The reason he’s dealt with injury in this way was in part the colts fault. 

He has still made the decision not to come back. I would be shocked if doctors told him he cannot rehab and should retire. There’s nothing wrong with making the choice but that’s very much a choice and shouldn’t be lumped in with career ending catastrophic injuries. 

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

I'm devestated to see such a great talent walk away in his prime, but I understand the need to protect your future and your family. I blame Jim Irsay and his idiocy for never protecting this guy. The real loser here is Frank Reich. 

I think there is a lot of truth to this.  I am for some reason reminded of Barry Sanders retiring 20 years (?) ago....great talent calling it quits surprisingly early.