Christian Wilkins Round 1

I say round 1 cause I feel the Bills could get him at 9 or could get him possibly 5-6 picks later.

Question is why no talk of Wilkins? 

6’3” 315, kid lined up inside, outside everywhere. He’s quick and has great hands. 4 year starter and is considered one of the top DT behind Q. Williams.  He’s from Western Massachusetts. 

Ive been saying it for weeks now. I’d like a trade down to gain more picks to trade back into the first.

Draft Christian Wilkins and trade back into the first for Jaylon Ferguson.

Bills D line is sketchy after this year. I think Star, Murphy and H Phillips are the only ones under contract and Murphy’s dead cap after this year he could easily be gone. McDs defense relys heavily on DL rotation, 7-8 guys. Wilkins Plays everywhere which is nice at 315.

• Like (+1) 4

He has Bills dna.  Leader on Clemson team, and was unstoppable against Alabama.  I like him a lot after a trade down.  I prefer Oliver, but a beve of 2nd,3rd and future picks I would trade down.  My mantra is stockpile 2nd and 3rd rounders!  

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

He won't ever get the all-pro 10+ sack numbers from interior.  But he's got a really nice motor and is always around the ball.  

No doubt.  I just think teams salivate for high ceiling players in the top of the first round.

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

He has Bills dna.  Leader on Clemson team, and was unstoppable against Alabama.  I like him a lot after a trade down.  I prefer Oliver, but a beve of 2nd,3rd and future picks I would trade down.  My mantra is stockpile 2nd and 3rd rounders!  

Shows in this video....  he is a process/Buffalo type guy!  Go BlueCheese Christian 

• Like (+1) 1

Someone, somewhere, once said that Wilkins has a low ceiling...  And now everyone is parroting it.  Every time I hear it my head wants to explode, just turn on the tape people.  The man is a 5 star recruit freak athlete who started his career as an end and then moved inside.  He's fantastic with his hands, has top intangibles, and a relentless motor.  The sky's the limit with him, I want Oliver or Wilkins at 9.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

My neighbor is a huge Clemson fan.  I asked him about Clelan Ferrel, Dexter Lawrence, and Christian Wilkins.  He thought they all could go first round.

He talked on and on about Wilkins.  A great kid, a great player, leader, and so on.  He already graduated and I believe got a graduate degree.  

When I heard my neighbor talk about Wilkins I was thinking this is the Bills kind of player through and through.

• Like (+1) 1

I planned to make a thread closer to draft day, but I think there's a very good chance Wilkins is the Bills' pick in the first round.

He has off the charts intangibles, leadership, and character, and a non stop motor. His coach said "even though he's first string, he plays every down like he's trying to make the team". If that doesn't sound like a prototypical McDermott first rounder, I don't know what does.

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Someone, somewhere, once said that Wilkins has a low ceiling...  And now everyone is parroting it.  Every time I hear it my head wants to explode, just turn on the tape people.  The man is a 5 star recruit freak athlete who started his career as an end and then moved inside.  He's fantastic with his hands, has top intangibles, and a relentless motor.  The sky's the limit with him, I want Oliver or Wilkins at 9.

His college production plateaued 3 years ago as a sophomore.............and he will turn 24 years old late in his rookie year.........so the questions about his ceiling are entirely justifiable.

He also checks the "not a key position" and "not an elite pass rusher" boxes.

In a league where you only get 4 years before you have to decide whether your first round pick is worth $10M-$15M AAV........and where elite QB/PassRush/LT don't make it to UFA...... you really need to swing for the fence and fill elite positions with those first round picks.   Especially ones that early.

• Like (+1) 4

Good post. I was thinking the same exact thing last night.  

I love Wilkins, and he fills a huge position of need as a penetrating 3 tech DT.  He's also strong en8ugh to play some nose tackle as well when needed, which gives him versatility, a other trait the Bills love.

I was watching some film on him last night and he really impresses.  One key trait I like to see in DL is a quick get off.  I hate when a DL is slow to pop out of his stance on the snap (shaq lawson).  Wilkins routinely is the 1st guy to react to the snap.  I think hes going sooner than I've seen in most mocks.  I think 6-15 is his range, so I dont think 9 is too soon.  He will be a player 

Side note:  Hes got the exact character and love of football that McBeane covet.  Guys a big time leader from everything I've read.

I've been wondering about Wilkins.  He doesn't seem like an Elite player.  I hope we get an Elite player at 9.  Maybe Wilkins is that player.  I'm obviously not a scout, so who knows.

It was nice that they invited the IT technician to the party.

12 minutes ago, wppete said:

I like him but I want Ed Oliver. Hope he makes us to #9. 

If Whaley was the GM, Oliver would be the guy we all wanted, but the Bills passed on OR the guy we wanted, but was taken 1 pick before us.  If Oliver is the guy they want, I bet they get him.

• Like (+1) 1

I think Wilkins is a late 1st round type of guy.  Good, not great.  As someone mentioned, he played on an uber talented line, and plateaued production wise 2 years ago.  A "safe" player, definitely.  Great rotational player, yep.  But....  With a top 10 pick, you need a guy who projects as a year 1 starter, and competitor for DROY (if defense), and perennial pro-bowler.  I'd actually put Wilkins at 4 in the DL line ranking, with Williams, Oliver, and Simmons ahead of him.  

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

My neighbor is a huge Clemson fan.  I asked him about Clelan Ferrel, Dexter Lawrence, and Christian Wilkins.  He thought they all could go first round.

He talked on and on about Wilkins.  A great kid, a great player, leader, and so on.  He already graduated and I believe got a graduate degree.  

When I heard my neighbor talk about Wilkins I was thinking this is the Bills kind of player through and through.

Totally agree.

Watched all the Clemson games this year and Wilkins is also having the most fun on the field, its great to watch.  You can tell that he's deeply invested in the success of his teammates.

1 hour ago, SWATeam said:

This is thrown around way too much. I dont see a freak athlete when watching him or looking at his combine stats. 

He does everything pretty well but freak is a little much. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chris farley said:

I keep reading that he is a high floor, but low ceiling player. 

plug in and play.

This is probably pretty close to the mark.  Wilkins looks like a very safe pick.  He offers some versatility.  He's smart and has a team first attitude; all traits that Sean McDermott is fond of.  The defensive guys usually rated above him are generally regarded as more disruptive.  Ed Oliver has the size issue associated with him.  Montez Sweat (yes he plays a different position but one at which Buffalo has a comparable need) has the heart issue and less productivity in college than you like.  But if you draft one of those guys and he clecks in the NFL, you've got something special.  Wilkins? Maybe not so much.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

I say round 1 cause I feel the Bills could get him at 9 or could get him possibly 5-6 picks later.

6’3” 315, kid lined up inside, outside everywhere. He’s quick and has great hands. 4 year starter and is considered one of the top DT behind Q. Williams.  He’s from Western Massachusetts. 

Ive been saying it for weeks now. I’d like a trade down to gain more picks to trade back into the first.

Bills D line is sketchy after this year. I think Star, Murphy and H Phillips are the only ones under contract and Murphy’s dead cap after this year he could easily be gone. McDs defense relys heavily on DL rotation, 7-8 guys. Wilkins Plays everywhere which is nice at 315.

I don’t mind Wilkins.  I do mind trading up into rd 1 for Ferguson.  I think we might be able to get him with our 3rd rd pick to be honest, if not our 2nd rd pick 

27 minutes ago, Steve Billieve said:

Totally agree.

Watched all the Clemson games this year and Wilkins is also having the most fun on the field, its great to watch.  You can tell that he's deeply invested in the success of his teammates.

Sounds like Jordan Phillips. Sign me up in a trade down if Oliver is gone at #9. 

4 hours ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

Not sure about the Ferguson part.  I wouldnt mind everything else though.

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

I don’t mind Wilkins.  I do mind trading up into rd 1 for Ferguson.  I think we might be able to get him with our 3rd rd pick to be honest, if not our 2nd rd pick 

Fighting the urge to be an internet English teacher.

Fine if youre confused.  It should say our 2nd, if not our 3rd with what the rest of your statement is suggesting.  God I hated doing that.  But not a big deal its only an internet message board.  We agree on Ferguson though.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

1 hour ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

Number 1 if he has a Boston accent he is automatically ruled out and number 2,3 and 4 see number 1.

37 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

This is thrown around way too much. I dont see a freak athlete when watching him or looking at his combine stats. 

He does everything pretty well but freak is a little much. 

Sure, freak athlete is probably too strong for him.  But I see everyone just talking about his motor like he's an overachiever or something.  My point is simply that he has the athletic chops to go along with the motor.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Sounds like Chris Kelsay.... guarantee Bills take him. 

Spoken like someone who's never watched Wilkins play. The difference between Wilkins and Kelsay is that Wilkins is a supreme athletic specimen.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

Huh, there has been plenty of talk of Wilkins.  But I think he is a reach at 9 personally.  I wont be mad if we took him, but I think he goes between 15 and 25 and certainly wouldn't get past the Raiders 2 late first round picks.  I would MUCH rather find a way to get Simmons who is a better prospect before the injury than both Oliver and Wilkins.  We could get Simmons at a better value...although if Wilkins did start slipping to the 20's, could also see Beane making a move to get him too.  

I just highly doubt Wilkins would be the pick at 9 over say Oliver, DK, or one of the EDGE guys.  Especially with Simmons and Tillery as potential targets later in the first or in the 2nd.  

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Spoken like someone who's never watched Wilkins play. The difference between Wilkins and Kelsay is that Wilkins is a supreme athletic specimen.

And 50# heavier, and a DT, and black (but I haven't compared pictures to see if they look alike)...

4 hours ago, Chris farley said:

I keep reading that he is a high floor, but low ceiling player. 

plug in and play.

The only person that decides their ceiling is the player himself and his work ethic 

And players play the game with different styles .. and can be just as impactful 

Wasn’t Vince Wilfork a high impact player ? Most definitely... but he never put up the sack statistics 

Typically a low ceiling player is usually one without great physical gifts... so it’s easy to stick that label on some and say they don’t have a lot of top end potential 

but wilkins is a pretty good athlete for his size. Definitely not a bad one

I like Wilkins, it's just I'm not sure he's worth #9,  as when your picking that high you'd like to think you're getting a super star and to me Wilkins might never be anymore more than a star which isn't a bad thing either. On paper he is exactly what you'd want from a 3 tech DT but the intrigue of getting a guy like Oliver who could be the next elite one it be tough to pass on him for Wilkins and similar in the next Kelce in Hockenson. At the end of the day I'll say I'd be happy with Wilkins but happier with him and extra few picks in my back pocket. 

Edited by The Jokeman

9 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Huh, there has been plenty of talk of Wilkins.  But I think he is a reach at 9 personally.  I wont be mad if we took him, but I think he goes between 15 and 25 and certainly wouldn't get past the Raiders 2 late first round picks.  I would MUCH rather find a way to get Simmons who is a better prospect before the injury than both Oliver and Wilkins.  We could get Simmons at a better value...although if Wilkins did start slipping to the 20's, could also see Beane making a move to get him too.  

I just highly doubt Wilkins would be the pick at 9 over say Oliver, DK, or one of the EDGE guys.  Especially with Simmons and Tillery as potential targets later in the first or in the 2nd.  

Shaq is 24 years old with 3 seasons in the NFL under his belt.........Wilkins will turn 24 during his rookie season.

What kind of prospect "false-read" would Shaq have presented if he were to have played a couple more seasons beating on college kids at Clemson?

It's a consideration.

Wilkins production leveled off after his sophomore season............we've seen Shaq only marginally improve over his first 3 seasons.........sometimes the ceiling ain't the roof.

1 minute ago, billspro said:

I don’t think you have to worry. Beane seems to be the type to swing for an elite prospect. I think we are going Metcalf.

I don't know which way Beane is going.........perspective changes depending on factors like the pressure to win.........and there is MUCH more of that going into this year than the first two seasons with McDermott as HC.

Doug Whaley drafted BPA with his first pick of the Rex regime(Darby)..........the next season he was drafting for need(Shaq and Ragnuts).    Polar opposite approaches.