REPORT: Steelers trading Antonio Brown to Bills! - Per Ian Rapoport (Hold up....maybe, maybe not....) EDIT: DEAL NOT HAPPENING PER BRANDON BEANE - UPDATE: Traded to Raiders

sven233

1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Because McD has a plan and direction he's trying to go in.  The other two were abysmally clueless.  You can't see that?

what is that plan and direction?

build a culture of swell guys?

his plan currently has a losing record, again, why is there so much faith in it?

4 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

Through two years they have the same exact record as Marrone and Ryan.

I don't understand the blind faith in these guys.

especially after the coach says culture is the most important thing and it trumps everything else. 

Neither do I.  I am giving them a chance to let their vision play out.  We have not done that in forever and have paid for it with a bad to mediocre record.

6 minutes ago, One Buffalo said:

I like what Sal says here- 

Sal makes a good point, I hope he is correct. But is trading for a big time WR realistic? AB didn’t want to come here and I have a hard time thinking any elite WR would either.

I’m not keen on taking Metcalf at 9, but maybe there isn’t much else Beane can do to bring in an elite WR talent.

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Prove to me I am wrong.  They left.  They careers got better (well I guess with exception of Sammy). So it does not invalidate my point that this offense is HISTORICALLY inept at using WRs

Sammy is still dreaming of his 2015 stats, Hogan has been essentially the same - just a small bump in YPC, Goodwin stopped dividing his time between football and the olympics, and Woods definitely seems happy to be back home in LA.

8 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

If AB can ruin JA then JA needs to be release now, because he doesn't have it.

To me it’s simple. It’s easier to blame our offensive short comings on everyone else but Allen (deservedly so). However, once you start putting legit weapons around him, the pressure will be on to show he’s the guy.

2 minutes ago, Jasovon said:

This offense has only been around one year, completely different coaching staff before then. 

And GM and Team President etc.

The problem the bills have to overcome is the tarnished brand Ralph created and left over the last 20 years...

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

To me it’s simple. It’s easier to blame our offensive short comings on everyone else but Allen (deservedly so). However, once you start putting legit weapons around him, the pressure will be on to show he’s the guy.

Now THIS is a reasonable take. Thanks!

:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Prove to me I am wrong.  They left.  They careers got better (well I guess with exception of Sammy). So it does not invalidate my point that this offense is HISTORICALLY inept at using WRs

MAJ, all of them played with Tyrod Taylor as their QB. That should say plenty

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

But by the same token, he'll be given an actual chance to show he's the guy.

1 minute ago, Reed83HOF said:

And GM and Team President etc.

The problem the bills have to overcome is the tarnished brand Ralph created and left over the last 20 years...

We need Josh Allen to be a franchise QB, that's all that matters. Look at the Rams and Browns, utter laughing stocks noone wanted to go anywhere near until they got their QB.

My concern is it could be a while before the media actually allows Allen to be seen as a good QB.

1 minute ago, CountDorkula said:

what is that plan and direction?

build a culture of swell guys?

his plan currently has a losing record, again, why is there so much faith in it?

Getting rid of a bund of high cost players who underperform their contracts (Darius for one) is part of it.  We paid the price for Overdorf's terrible contracts last year.

Nobody said anything about a culture of swell guys, just guys who actually care about football and the team and put it before themselves.

It has been 2 YEARS...at least give them this year with  $80M in cap space and 10 draft picks.

3 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

Sal makes a good point, I hope he is correct. But is trading for a big time WR realistic? AB didn’t want to come here and I have a hard time thinking any elite WR would either.

I’m not keen on taking Metcalf at 9, but maybe there isn’t much else Beane can do to bring in an elite WR talent.

I don't see any reason why a guy like AJ Green or Julio would have a problem coming here.  But guys like AB and Odell are about making themselves bigger than the game and Buffalo is pretty much the hardest place in the league to do that.

Just now, Chuck Wagon said:

But by the same token, he'll be given an actual chance to show he's the guy.

I’m all for putting weapons around him and seeing what he can do. I believe it will only help his development. If for whatever reason he doesn’t pan out then we move on to the next guy. 

30 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

To be fair, the Super Bowl champions had the 3rd-most rushing attempts per game in the entire league last year, and actually had the most rushing attempts per game in the playoffs.

In the AFC Championship game, they ran the ball 48 times to KC's 12.  In the Super Bowl, they rushed 32 times to LA's 18.

Pass to score, run to win. 

Never gets old. 

37 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Yep.  I don't mind a team that runs the ball.  But do it for a reason.  Like if you play say - the cardinals.  Who have the worst rush defense in the NFL.  The strategy should dictate in that game that you can probably just run it to either take a lead or keep a lead.  

But when you're playing a team like KC or the Rams or NE.  The strategy dictates that you need to get first downs, stay on the field, and score points.  Not - get a lead and run it til the games over.  You have to be able to do this to win.

Who is the #1 receiver for NE?

They certainly have players who can step up, but they win because if the game plan calls for a lot of running the ball, the players play their roll sans bitching.

If there is a mismatch, that is what they are going to exploit and egos take a back seat.

Players like AB can cycle thru teams over their career padding their personal stats, but when they are near the end of their career and want a ring, they will step into Belichick's office and say, "I'll be anything your team needs me to be".

One if the reasons NE can attract solid vets that still have a few miles left in the tank.

You don't need prima donna all stars to field a dominant team, just talented players who are well coached, who can execute their roles.

Edited by WideNine

2 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

Bummer. Hope this doesn't float around the mind of potential FAs when their agents tell them that Buffalo reached out. 

The Bills need to start throttling some of these teams and get rid of the loser reputation. As a self proclaimed LSU fan boy I can’t wait for the day that the Bills beat Adams into submission. Shut that yap of his.

Just now, Jasovon said:

OK, the Bills can never have a good offense then is what you are saying? Any coach has failed before he even begins? 

Nope But I did say and stand by it that.

20 plus years of History at a specific position will Trump a Hope that there is change when it comes to WRs like AB coming to play here.

3 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I don't see any reason why a guy like AJ Green or Julio would have a problem coming here.  But guys like AB and Odell are about making themselves bigger than the game and Buffalo is pretty much the hardest place in the league to do that.

So the sky is not falling?

Just now, WideNine said:

Who is the #1 receiver for NE?

They certainly have players who can step up, but they win because if the game plan calls for a lot of running the ball, the players play their roll sans bitching.

If there is a mismatch, that is what they are going to exploit and egos take a back seat.

Players like AB can cycle thru teams over their career padding their personal stats, but when they are near the end of their career and want a ring, they will step into Belechick's office and say, "I'll be anything your team needs me to be".

One if the reasons NE can attract solid vets that still have a few miles left in the tank.

You don't need prima donna all stars to field a dominant team, just talented players who are well coached, who can execute their roles.

Edelman there that was easy

39 minutes ago, Logic said:

I live on the west coast, so I woke up to all of this news. It was a real roller coaster of emotion.

Co-worker as I walked into work, sleepy at 6am: Hey Mr Antonio Brown!

Me: What ?!

Co-worker: You guys traded for Antonio Brown!

Me: [furiously typing "Antonio Brown" into Google]

Top three headlines, in order: "Bills have deal in place to acquire Antonio Brown"; "Antonio Brown is still a Steeler because he didn't want to be a Bill"; "Bills GM says Bills have pulled out of trade talks".

I went from knowing nothing about it, to thinking the Bills had acquired him, to seeing that they hadn't because he didn't want to come to Buffalo, in the span of a minute. 

Roller coaster.

I live on the west coast and don’t go to bed at 8:30pm.

• Haha (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

And you know what Beane was offering? 

So you believe everything about the potential trade is true except the compensation? Beane is a bad GM for even attempting to trade anything more than a 3rd for AB. This looks worse than Whaley trading for Watkins. Good for us AB doesn't want to play for the Bills.

29 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

As others have said, it's pretty apparent something is already rotten with the Steelers.  AB didn't start this, Leveon was the first.  Roethlisberger has a long standing reputation of not being the hardest working guy in the room, I think players saw how the organization handled Leveon vs how Roethlisberger gets treated and it's permeated the locker room.

I do believe it's clear AB is at the point where it's more about him than the team.  But this notion we can't handle any ego in the locker room and have to be a team of only blue collar guys is a sure way to go 5-11 every year.

Living in Cleveland, I get to see big Ben play at least twice a year and I feel he should have retired this past season.

He's lost consistency and zip on his ball, IMO he's fallen to the line of marginal starter/good backup.  

The Steelers winning culture is critically ill and I wonder if getting rid of Ben is the cure.

Edited by GaryPinC

14 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Ahhh once again when you are critical of this team people tell you to go elsewhere.  Am I wrong in my history?

Let me tell you where you are wrong.

1.  History has NO relevancy with THIS regime.  You can piss and moan all you want, it’s a complete waste of time to bring up things that have ZERO to do with this regime.  The only thing relevant is what Beane and McD do.  

2.  You also are not even remotely close to accurately recounting Beane and McDs time here.  

You LOVE to revel in negativity, in fact, you barely post here unless there is something negative to be all whiney about compared to the non stop posting you do when you say see Dr. Negative Bat Signal in the sky.  

So so that’s why people tell you to go be a fan somewhere else, because you don’t post like a fan.  You post more like a scorned ex lover.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Jasovon said:

OK, the Bills can never have a good offense then is what you are saying? Any coach has failed before he even begins? 

I think the point is - within the past 2 decades we have had and drafted talented receivers and failed to utilize them.  Either it was because of the QB, or by design (building a running offense).  WRs don't typically strive to sign with a team where their numbers will suffer, and for a team has made the playoffs once in the last 20 years.

You need to win, and you need to show players that you are going to use them.  

Just now, MAJBobby said:

20 plus years of History at a specific position will Trump a Hope that there is change when it comes to WRs like AB coming to play here.

I think it's more likely he wants to play in a superbowl in the next couple of years before he is past his prime and the Bills are very unlikely to get there. 

Just now, MAJBobby said:

That’s true. It’s a WR dead zone until proven otherwise. Allen and company need to torch the league and then things will change. 

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

AB is about the brand of "AB".  We could throw him 25 passes a game and he wouldn't care.  He wants to be a star and we are Siberia in that regard.

I feel mixed about this.

On the one hand, obviously the Bills don't want a guy who doesn't want to be here. Brown seems to have become very selfish and egotistical, and the thought of him yelling at Josh Allen any time he doesn't get the ball and wrecking the culture that McBeane have worked hard to build sounds terrible.

On the other hand, his addition to the offense would have immediately made it extremely potent. Brown on one side and Foster on the other would have been IMPOSSIBLE for defenses, and it would have taken defenders out of the box and opened up Buffalo's running game. Furthermore, Brown's addition likely would have meant increased national interest and perhaps an added prime time game or two.

At the end of the day, I suppose it's a good thing that this head case isn't coming to the Bills. But sheesh, the offense would've been exciting with him in it!

15 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

$hittsburgh did not give AB or his agent permission to talk to other teams - so your first point was an impossibility

Pittsburgh's GM can talk to AB and his agent before trying to deal him 

1 minute ago, Jasovon said:

I think it's more likely he wants to play in a superbowl in the next couple of years before he is past his prime and the Bills are very unlikely to get there. 

See i disagree on this.  I think he wants fame and fortune more than a ring.  If all he cared about was a ring he'd probably just stay in pittsburgh - they make the playoffs fairly consistently.  They were pretty close in 2018 (their last 3 losses by a total of 9 points, and a tie to cleveland).  

1 minute ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I agree that AJ and Julio are more teams friendly guys but they both want success. Despite all of us on here being fans, can anyone of us say we expect success from this team in the near future? We are all hoping for success but what is a realistic projection for wins next year? What are the chances the Bills win the division?

And I’m talking team success, which would rely heavily on the D to move them forward. Why would AJ or Julio entertain playing for this O? McBeane neglected the O so badly it needs a complete overhaul and it’s cornerstone is an unproven QB who may or may not be something. If I’m a desired skill position player, Buffalo and Zona are the absolute last teams I want to go to.

10 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

....or poor football players.  Oh, how horrible the insults issued to Leveon Bell!

How long is your guaranteed contract at work?

Nots as long as Pegs’, Kraft’s or Jerry’s. That is for sure